Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thepalmettoporch

Buying new washing machine - front or top loader??

thepalmettoporch
9 years ago
I'm definitely torn on which way to go. Tell me if you like your front loader and if so, which brand/model you love.

I have a basic top GE top loader I know I love but love how front loaders look.

Thanks!

Comments (37)

• crowley48
    9 years ago
    I have a Fisher & Paykel top loader and love them! I would buy them again.
  • bungalowmo
    9 years ago
    Top...all the way. I'd also never own one of those 'he" machines.

I need more than a cup of water to wash my stuff. In fact, I fill my washer & add soap & whatnot....then add laundry.
  • Andy Murphy
    9 years ago
    I have a new Samsung HE top loader. I just got it a few weeks ago, and I love it. No problems, and the clothes come out really clean.
  • makaloco
    9 years ago
    I have a Bosch front loader and am very happy with it. Previously I had a Zanussi (Italian) front loader, used it for 22 years, and sold it when I moved. It only needed two minor repairs during all that time. The Bosch hasn't needed any servicing in the seven years I've had it. No mold issues with either, but I've lived in relatively dry climates.
  • karrol
    8 years ago

I love the look of front loaders but......I have heard you have to keep doors open after use to avoid mold. I also don't love how you have to bend to side to get wash out. I will go with the top loader . Still researching whether to go with agitator or non agitator machine. That is another issue. I hear many people say not enough water in machine without agitator and actually the top of the clothes in machine not even wet. I am still researching as well.

• Christine Balderas
    8 years ago
    Speed Queen top loader. You won't be replacing it every few years.
  • Kathryn Swatland
    8 years ago

I don't care for my Samsung front loader. If I could, I would definitely go back to top loader. Everything gets all tangled up plus you can't let anything soak.

• Bev
    8 years ago

I prefer a top loader because it's less strain on my back!

• chloebud
    8 years ago

T. O. P.

• PRO
    NuWave
    8 years ago

i have a front loader and CANNOT STAND IT. it gets standing water in it and i have to run a wash to clean it out. I dont have mold, but I do have to wipe out the lip and edge often to keep the gross gunk from building up. Have I scared you off yet?

• User
    8 years ago

I have a front loader. Whirlpool Duet. It has to be run through a cycle once in a while to clean it, but I did that with my top loader too. To deal with the height issue we put it on a platform so I can reach the back of it from my chair. It works nicely for my mother with her back problems as well. It is H.E as long as you follow the instructions ie. use less soap, use HE soaps it works well. I find it gets things cleaner. I like that it has a gentle cycle too.

• tgb1
    8 years ago

Katrider - I get standing water in mine sometimes too, I run the drain cycle to empty it out.

• lefty47
    8 years ago

HI -- I have an LG front load washer and dryer ... Love them !

• Kathy W.
    7 years ago

Been around the block a few times with both types. Recently purchased Speed Queen top loaders. So my vote is for top loader!

• PRO
    User
    7 years ago
    Visit our store on Houzz search for " Stickonmania " we have over 22 000 products listed and will do custom stuff as well - Google for stickonmania.

Our production is located in FL and all products are made by hand. Shipping out in less than 5 days and prices starts at $5

We use premium material made for wall art only and it will not damage your wall when removed.
  • centaurita
    7 years ago

Not a big fan of front loaders due to having to leave the door open or you get smells. I am also getting ready to purchase new W/D and am looking for info. I haven't seen any top load machines out there with Real Agitators, or the ability to use however much water you choose. Everything seems to be HE and Energy Star. Last 2 machines have been front load and cleaned pretty well. I have a Samsung front load set right now. Very Nice to look at, but have had trouble from the very start. 1st year repaired every couple of months. 4 times in the first 3 month! Will never buy Samsung appliances again. They did not care about my troubles and the repairman did not have luck with them either. 8 years old now and the dryer just stopped heating yesterday, so we are giving up on them. They also have seriously long wash cycles if you want clean clothes. Have friends that swear by their Kenmore front load and another couple that gave up on front load and now have top load they are happy with. Not sure of the brand on that one.

Consumer Reports does not have good ratings on any agitator top loaders (top score of 47 Amana NTW4755EW) and the HE top-loaders (top score of 73 LG WT5680HVA & Samsung WA52J8700AP) are all rated lower than most front loaders (Top score of 85 Samsung WF56H9110CW-- 84 Maytag Maxima MHW8200FW & Maytag Maxima MHW8200FW).

Good Houskeeping has a list of 7 they recommend.

http://www.goodhousekeeping.com/appliances/washer-reviews/g105/washing-machine-reviews/?slide=1

Good Luck to us all in Washing Machine Hell.....!!

• centaurita
    7 years ago

P.S. the Samsung set I have were the high end ones, which, with the pedestals cost close to $4500, so my problems were not due to going cheap and getting what you pay for.

• PRO
    Natuzzi Italia Philadelphia
    7 years ago

Top loading is my personal choice...

• chiflipper
    7 years ago

Bought a new top loader....$700....turns out you can't select the water level on the new machines...they also have a door lock that prevents you from throwing in the odd item...takes forever to "do" a load. All because the Feds said the manufacturers had to meet certain requirements. Returned washer and have a front loader which I love.

• Kanga
    7 years ago

NEVER again would I ever buy a front loader!!! Totally NOT worth it!!!

• sabra900
    7 years ago
    Love my front loader but we also let it air dry with the door open. We have a stacked space so in the end the choice was made for us bc we refused to get one of those cruddy all in one apartment type units.
  • Sue Burns
    7 years ago
    I have had an LG front-loader with a pedestal underneath, so I don't have to bend over to empty or load it. It is 9 years old and I love it! No repairs and no smells, although I do leave the door open. Once in a while I run a cycle of hot water and white vinegar through and find that it cleans the machine up nicely. My clothes are clean, stains come out and I can use the extra water option if needed. I also like the sanitary cycle, being somewhat of a germ freak. But I seem to be in the minority among those who are replying! One of the reasons I chose an LG is because they were a direct drive motor, meaning there were no belts to break. I figured that had to be a good thing. Good luck on your purchase!
  • chloebud
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

@dinkyhowk, I finally got around to buying a new LG washer/dryer set that are being delivered tomorrow. One of the reasons I chose the washer is I was told the Direct Drive was a good thing...sure hope so! I did get a top-loader which is what I wanted. This is the first time I've had anything from LG. My Whirlpool Cabrio washer lasted 4 years...huge aggravation. Honestly, I think it's pretty much a crapshoot these days when it comes to washing machines. They simply don't make appliances like they used to, and there are negative reviews for anything you check. Fingers crossed this new machine will give me the 9 years you've had!

• Sue Burns
    7 years ago
    @chloebud, that's great! I hope you have a good long life with this machine and many clean clothes ahead of you :-) My sister also has one older than mine, with the same track record, so that is another positive. Laundry is one one of those necessary chores and it really helps to have a good machine to do it! Hope you enjoy it!
  • chloebud
    7 years ago

Thanks, dinkyhowk...we'll see! My guess is your sister's machine and even yours are made better than the one coming for me today. My sister and brother each have Maytags that are 32 years and 35 years old. Talk about the good old days!

• mclibbing
    7 years ago
    If you go with a top loader, make sure you are comfortable with inside depth. I was too short to reach the bottom of all the LG washing machines
  • mclibbing
    7 years ago
    If you go with a top loader, make sure you are comfortable with inside depth. I was too short to reach the bottom of all the LG washing machines
  • chloebud
    7 years ago

@mclibbing, that's a good point. Our new top load washer is an LG and is deep. I'm tall so it's not a problem for me. It's actually just a smidge smaller (4.9 cubic feet) than the Whirlpool we had before (5.0 cubic feet) which wasn't as deep.

• centaurita
    7 years ago
    I ended up getting a great deal on new Maytag front load during july 4 holiday sale at Home Depot. Not as many cycle options as my Samsungs but so far I love them. They also have direct drive and yes it is a good thing to look for. washer is model #MHW5500FW and dryer is MED5500FW. They have great reviews and cost $600 less than my Samsungs did 8 years ago. got the pedestals for 100 apiece and they are a nice gray color that match my laundry room. I did a ton of research and comparison shopping before deciding on this pair and hopefully it pays off.
  • chloebud
    7 years ago

@centaurita, we also got one of those great July 4th deals at Lowe's on our LG set. Just love it when that happens. I was at Lowe's yesterday, and the set is back to full price. So...I guess we can both keep our fingers tightly crossed that our research/comparison shopping pays off!

We did purchase the 5-year warranty this time and our credit card company will extend it another 2 years.

• Dave Debang-bang
    7 years ago

Hi guys. I'd thought I'd join this even though I'm s bit late. I live in the UK and the majority of homes have front load washers. They do actually clean a lot better and rinse better and spin better. Yes program times are a tad long but that's how they made it cheaper to run. Instead of the drum sitting still for 20 mins while the water heats up it carries on washing while its heating. im totally obsessed and particular with my laundry. My neighbour put sunglasses on the other day as my whites were blinding her from the washing line. I have never needed a stain remover I've never needed laundry bleach. Grass mud curry oil etc etc all come out first time. Tried a top loader while on holiday was amazed that they don't heat the water and only do 1 or 2 rinses my clothes were like cardboard. Never had a problem with mould or smells. And because the front loader has s heater in it I can wash towels etc on (uk ) 95 degrees I do my bedding on 60 degrees and also my whites and coloured and light coloured stuff goes on 40 degrees

sorry to bore you all with my rambling

regards

Dave x

• tooky58
    7 years ago

I have a Roper top loader that is 16-18 years old. Never any problems, water level choices from small to extra-large. When it finally goes (years from now) it'll be another top loader for me. Also lots of wash options.

• PRO
    Koru Architects
    7 years ago

Front loaders are more convenient space wise, as they can slot under a counter in the kitchen or utility room.

• chloebud
    7 years ago

@tooky58, I think the problem comes with a new Roper you'd buy today. The quality of these appliances has changed. As I mentioned, our Whirlpool washer lasted 4.5 years.

The new washer we just bought (LG - top load) has the water level options you mentioned. Along with others, that was one of the features I wanted.

• Ida Dawson
    7 years ago

Whomever invented the front loader should be sent to mars on the first shuttle. Worst invention ever.