Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
adivers

Should I stain my cedar mantel and shelves and what color?

Annette Divers
9 years ago
I posted this a couple of months ago and got some great feedback but I am STILL struggling with this decision. I can't decide whether or not to stain the cedar mantel and floating shelves that flank the fireplace to match the hardwoods. The hardwoods are VERY dark, ebony. It is an open floor plan. The kitchen has white cabinets and the granite is grey and white. The great room has a stone fireplace with white book shelves flanking it.
The feedback I received was to stain them the color of the floor but I am so afraid that it will be too much dark wood in my house. Natural on the other hand looks a bit washed out. I wanted to ask again before I make a mistake. I will attach a couple of pics of the rest of the house to give you an idea of the colors.
So, either I stain the mantel and shelves ebony like the floors, dilute the stain to make it less dark or leave them natural. Also, if I stain them ebony, should I paint the back wall behind the shelves a nice shade of light blue, blue/grey or maybe green?

Thank you!

Comments (3)