Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
90degreesok

New Front Door doesn't match style of new window, now what?

90degreesok
9 years ago
We're in the midst of renovations and just installed the new front door. It is plain, full glass fiberglass and the two side panes are yet to be ordered and installed (we ran into rotted, wet wood at the base of the side panes unexpectedly : (( so off to order new ones and replace the rotted trim and casings. As I hope you can see from the picture, the adjacent window, which is brand new, has grills. It is not too late to add grills when we order the side panes, but what should we do, if anything, with the front door? It would not be impossible to add grills to them now, but this was our oversight as we would have ordered them in between the glass. Does the door, side panes, and windows have to match? Hummm, now what do we do?

Comments (7)

• jck910
    9 years ago
    The windows over the door doesn't have grilles. So I wouldn't add them to the door. Funny that you picked one with grilles for a modern style house. They will be fine
    90degreesok thanked jck910
  • libradesigneye
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    Are you planning to do anything with the angular transom windows as far as replacement? If you were planning to make those windows horizontal and widen them to match the new doors and sidelights, then I would make the sidelights and the transom windows have grilles but let the new doors be plain. You may decide you want to add frost film for privacy / security or add fabric to the doors themselves so them being without muntins isn't a big deal.

The angular windows above do not match what else is happening though . . they are contemporary, and make me think there may be more in your home that was organized in a contemporary way. Yes, the grids on the new windows and their shape and division is more traditional. If you want to head that way, the angular windows should be replaced with horizontal transom windows . . ideally at the same height (or greater) as the top elements on the new windows. You may want smaller height windows over the sidelights (even little ones there will add to the traditional feel you seem to prefer, and tall as possible given the angle limitations paired over the doors - that would be the best look given the space you have. That is going to entail a bit of framing, interior drywall, new siding, etc. . .but this is the time to do it if you are deciding how.
    90degreesok thanked libradesigneye
  • 90degreesok
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    This is what the house looked like before the renovations started. I guess it appears modern-ish with the severe roof lines, however we are transforming the style into cottage/casual, and thus the grills. I guess we got a little off track on the front door area, the triangular windows above the door aren't helping, and that is probably why we just choose the more plain style of doors. We are loving all the light coming in the house now, the old doors were like a vault : )) and very weird too! Thanks for your comments, they help alot. Making so many decisions on the house, sometimes we lose track of the 'details'.
  • 90degreesok
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Here's a shot of the angular window from the interior. It's about the only thing remaining that is considered modern in the house. Hopefully, you can see (sorry, a little dark) that there are 3 angular wall/ceiling areas meeting around that window. Because of that complication, we decided not to change it, but just live with it and sort of act like it doesn't really exist, ha! We considered building an arbor or trellis or something else above the door and past the overhang to camouflage the angular window.
  • Ramona
    7 years ago

it's okay if you follow above advice

• 90degreesok
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    We've landscaped and done some finishing touches since this photo but this shows the before and after.