Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
glittersparkleluxeblog

Round Dining room table with Round or Square Chairs?

Candice Aiken
12 years ago
We are redoing our dining room and are thinking about purchasing the Pedestal Salvaged Wood Round Tables from RH. I have always been in love with round french vintage chairs but I'm not sure if a more square shaped chair would go better with a round table? Which do you think is aesthetically more pleasing? Is there a design rule that designers normally follow?

Thank you =)
Square
Camelback
Round

Comments (42)

• PRO
    Marie Meko, Allied ASID
    12 years ago
    I love the cane back rounded chairs because they add more texture than the upholstered back chairs and they scream French! All three are appropriate with the table so you wouldn't make a wrong choice....each has a different feel. I prefer the straight leg rather than cabriole leg but if you want a romantic French go for the curve! Hope this helps....good luck !
  • Emily H
    12 years ago
    I love the Camelback! Also, completely gorgeous table.
  • PRO
    Susan Mills Design
    12 years ago
    I love the cane back chairs as well, what fabric and color are you thinking of? The Vintage French round are also a nice option. Just make sure you also choose for comfort.
  • PRO
    Charmean Neithart Interiors
    12 years ago
    The round will fit the curve of the table nicely.
  • Jamieson
    12 years ago
    I chose the camelback as I find the round a little too dainty for this table (beautiful BTW!). BUT if you wanted to beef up the round chairs you could through an appropriate upholstery fabric.
  • PRO
    GARY FINLEY
    12 years ago
    I agree with Jamieson. There are not so many rules regarding round/square. And remember when the rules are broken and the results are great that's when spaces really get exciting. The Louis the XV is my choice for only one reason...it seems to be the visually strongest to stand aside the heavy table......I would select the chars I like best and the that you feel is the most comfortable and then pair them with a table. I think the table selection would be better if it were not such strong statement. Remeber the chairs will hide the base for the most part. Check out the thickness of the table top and how it relates to the chair choice!
  • PRO
    Decor Innovation Designs
    12 years ago
    All three chairs a beautiful, and would work perfectly with the table but I opt for the square chair it will help to brake up the roundness of the table and give a nice contrast between the two. However if you want a more formal look I would go with the camelback.
  • PRO
    Joni Koenig Interiors
    12 years ago
    I vote round but there's no mistake to make here.
  • betsyweisberg
    12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Like them all but love love the round!
    Its gonna be a beautiful dining room!
  • PRO
    GARY FINLEY
    12 years ago
    http://www.restorationhardware.com/catalog/product/product.jsp?productId=prod590015&categoryId=cat500018

consider this table as a softer look. check out the details of the edge of the top.....verses the table under consideration. The three chair choices are refined and the table selection is not .....thoughts?
  • PRO
    Diane Hynes Gallery
    12 years ago
    I agree with Gary Finley. My first thoughts when I looked at the chairs was "they don't go together". & I like to mix things up but not these.
  • mousemaker
    12 years ago
    i agree too :) and i love the camelback chair.
  • PRO
    Decor Innovation Designs
    12 years ago
    If your trying to go with the vintage French look then I feel your on the right track with what your doing. If you go the site that Gary Finley suggested you will see that there using the square chairs with your table design and another, It is all about your preference though.

http://www.restorationhardware.com/catalog/category/products.jsp?link=VintageFrenchSquare&categoryId=cat1670020
  • PRO
    GARY FINLEY
    12 years ago
    preferences are important, as is good design, and they dont always go hand in hand
  • Jamieson
    12 years ago
    Camelback, camelback, camelback!
  • debiok
    12 years ago
    I had this table with very simular round chairs. It looked great and I still am not sure why I got rid of it.
  • PRO
    Magical Bazaar
    12 years ago
    Camelback! Gorges legs and cushioned back which will go great in formal dinning area and simple breakfast nook.
  • PRO
    GARY FINLEY
    12 years ago
    Camelback is an English term isnt it...... funny how historic term get reasigned with 21 century marketing.....as with the Louis the xv style chair
  • Jamieson
    12 years ago
    I'd rather have camelback, than camel toe...Is this comment going to be flagged as inappropriate?
  • PRO
    GARY FINLEY
    12 years ago
    na
  • dreamridge
    11 years ago
    I LOVE the table.. where did you say you bought it?
    Is it available in Canada?
  • grammys
    11 years ago
    How about the most comfortable chair?
  • janaus
    11 years ago
    Get the chairs you love!
  • mimicee1
    11 years ago
    I have a similar table that I put the leaf in to make it oval.... Square chairs at either end and rounded ones on the sides. It looks fabulous and I get compliments on it all of the time.
  • nainibose
    11 years ago
    Its a beautiful table - get it finished with some gold leafing on the edges and similar gold leafing touches on the round chairs to obtain a really royal opulent yet elegant look!
  • Candice Aiken
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thank you everyone for you comments and advice. So helpful!

Bankerbonnie, the table is from restoration hardware.. And yes, they have a location in Canada. 2434 Yonge Street, Toronto, ON, 416-322-9422

http://www.restorationhardware.com/catalog/category/products.jsp?link=PedestalSalvagedWood&categoryId=cat1676023
  • PRO
    LakeandMountainHome
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    www.lakeandmountainhome.com has launched a new pedestal that is large enough to support up to an 84" reclaimed wood round top in old pine or old oak. You can get this in any finish and can customize it to your liking. This pedestal is large enough for (2) 12" leaves.
  • PRO
    karen paul interiors
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    I actually prefer a little heavier and less formal look. RH has the "Empire" camelback chair with a turned leg and stretchers which will work very well with your choice of table.
    Empire Camelback Upholstered Side Chair · More Info
  • PRO
    GARY FINLEY
    11 years ago
    OMG......well RH is coming out with new lines in two weeks......
    After 4 months......choose. There are no rights or wrongs at this point. Only consequence, you buy the square you get the square ...you buy the round you get the round. Have you tried a resale shoppe. It might be easiest as one must decide and move on as someone is always in the wings ready to get the good stuff
  • PRO
    LakeandMountainHome
    11 years ago
    Best be careful of the stretcher along the bottom of the chair. The Empire chair will not be able to strattle the foot of the pedestal depending on how far the base sticks out and how much overhang there is. You'll not be able to push the chair in if the pedestal foot is in the way if thats what you were hoping to do. If this is a problem you might want to consider a chair without a stretcher in the front. Attached is an example of an open bottom that could easily strattle over the foot of a pedestal if necessary.
  • PRO
    karen paul interiors
    11 years ago
    I was assuming a 48" table with 4 chairs that can be centered between the feet of the pedestal. If 6 are seated then, I agree, the stretchers are a problem. The Lake and Mountain chairs are appropriately casual and will have enough heft to carry the table, as well.
  • PRO
    Reico Kitchen & Bath
    11 years ago
    Great choice on the table - absolutlely love it. Voted Camelback - thought it had some nice curves to it that would compliment the table without competing against it. Good luck!
  • PRO
    Interiors Unleashed
    11 years ago
    I like the camel back because it repeats design elements that are subtle.

They might be overlooked when searching for a chair, but in a room they will do their job and add a lot of interest.

The curves of this chair, the frame and legs as well as the curve of the upholstery lines within, work with the table in a soft way without distracting from the hard lines of the table. The table itself has a strong somewhat hard character. The straight chair presents two hard characters that compete a little. The round one would be second choice. All would blend in a well planned room with other hard working design elements.
  • Carolin Maynard
    9 years ago
    I have refurbished 4 pedestal table sets over the past two winters. I have used square chairs on most but for my own set I went in search of a set of Shield Back Chairs. I love the shape. Painted them white and put a beautiful turquoise, blue and grey upholster on them. The legs on them are quite wide set though so only two will pull close in the other two sit out slightly.
  • sacapuntaslapioz
    9 years ago
    No rules that I would follow. follow your one heart
  • PRO
    Luminoso Design
    9 years ago
    we love RH tables, any of the chairs would work and there are many choices for fabric colors/textures.
    We would chose the square chair to contrast the table. Look at possibly a different wood color than the table, ie) their dark brown might look good depending on the look of the rest of the room OR you can go with the same wood as the table. www.luminosodesign.com
  • Short
    9 years ago
    Here are ours
  • PRO
    River Valley Cabinet Works
    9 years ago
    I like 'email all. IMO, the first looks more masculine and the last more feminine.
  • Tania Summers
    9 years ago
    Any of the choices will work but I favor the round back chairs.
  • n247080
    9 years ago
    OLD POST April 2012
  • sclaylewis
    8 years ago

Candice, looks like an old post. I just purchased a RH St. James Round Antique Coffee. I so love it and can't wait for delivery!!!! Hope you are enjoying. My vote is the cane back too.