Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
acorn1984

Can't get this LR right!

Two windows, two doorways and a FP in this room make it tricky to design...I've tried it all and obviously don't have enough skill. Willing to change couch (looks far too heavy in room in chocolate brown) and front of FP, maybe add shelving on either side but with glass shelves to avoid making it look smaller than it is. Primarily used at night to watch TV with my husband; empty nesters. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

Comments (10)

• Nancy Walton
    9 years ago
    You will have neck problems if you put the TV over the fireplace! I would do everything that DirecctBuy said, except I woul put the TV in that corner where the one chair is now, at an angle so you can see it from all seating. You also have too much "stuff" in the room--makes it look chaotic. Take everything out except the furniture, try the arrangement as suggested above, then add things back to the room slowly. You also need a rug to ground everything--right now it looks like all the furniture is floating.
  • Nancy Walton
    9 years ago
    Just looking again, and the sectional should go the mirror image, so I'm not sure that would work. Were you thinking of replacing the sectional? A sofa with two chairs works much better for flexibility in arranging.
    Gerry Cornell CORNELL thanked Nancy Walton
  • abbyjean
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    Nancy, I think it just looks like a sectional and is really a couch with an ottoman at the end.....so the suggestions given would be perfect.....couch in mirrored image and chairs in front of the window.
  • chloebud
    9 years ago
    acorn, It's a nice room! I agree with Nancy...a little too much stuff. Try her suggestion of removing all but the furniture and rearrange. I'm not a fan of TV's above fireplaces. I would also remove a couple items on the mantel...less is more. I don't think you need both of those items on the hearth, and a fireplace screen with less pattern might be better.
  • Maureen
    9 years ago
    Try moving tv unit to window wall and place single chairs on either side. Hope they would fit. Then move couch to where tv was, add side table on left side and floor lamp on the right, a painting above and place ottoman in front to act as a coffee table. An area rug would pull this whole room togehter. Put tv in the corner and you'll just need a small table/tv stand. Remove everthying else to make it more modern and edit firepalce. Hope this works.
  • Gerry Cornell CORNELL
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thank you for all the suggestions. Unfortunately I cannot move the couch (with lounge seat) to the mirror side as there is another doorway, see photo #3. That's part of the problem...so little wall space. I have always loved the idea of the chairs on either side of the window, would be nice for reading...new couch where TV is and move TV to corner net to FP? I know I need a rug...another problem. I'm even prepared to go to a rug store and say find me a rug that works, that I like and I'll buy it! Please don't give up on me:) What about painting bricks on FP and/or adding shelving on either side...my concern is I'd just have more crap filling those shelves! The two walls on either side of the FP look bare to me...this room makes me nuts!
  • Maureen
    9 years ago
    If you can't move the couch anywhere else, than making a few adjsutments in the room is all that you need to do. Use the ottoman as a coffee table and place an area rug underneath that is fairly plain but has your room colors. I might think about painting the whole wall blue to look less busy. Lower the picture over the couch. A new modern mirror over the fireplace and remove the lantern and all of the small items on mantle and the plate that is next to tv may be nice there instead. Remove all the little items on tables and leave one thing that you really like. Remove the two taller beige tables and the dried flowers and place the lantern on one side of doorway instead. Wouldn't paint fireplace or add bookshelves until you adjust these few things and you may be happier.[houzz=
    Flat-Weave Stripe Pattern Wool Blue/Brown Area Rug, 9 x 12 · More Info
    ]
  • abbyjean
    9 years ago
    Soooooo you CAN move the couch where the tv is? TV by fireplace and chairs by windows?
    Gerry Cornell CORNELL thanked abbyjean
  • Momof5x
    9 years ago
    Some layout ideas from Houzz:

Remodeled Family Room · More Info

Grand Media Room · More Info

Islands in the Stream · More Info

http://www.houzz.com/televisions-in-corners-of-living-rooms/p/32
    Gerry Cornell CORNELL thanked Momof5x
Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews