Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
siftarclarke

Should we paint our oak fireplace white?

siftarclarke
9 years ago
We recently moved into our house and wanted to update the look of our family room. Would it be a mistake to turn the fireplace surrounding white? We definitely want to paint the baseboards/trim throughout the room white. Also, if we did leave the fireplace as oak, would it look funny to have painted the baseboards/trim white? As an FYI, the wall paint color will be SW Requisite Gray. Thanks for any advice!

Comments (17)

• PRO
    Dytecture
    9 years ago
    I personally wouldn't paint the wood, it also depends on the rest of the house and its style.
  • tangelag
    9 years ago
    Oh, gosh. That oak is just beautiful. Also, the style is very clean and would go with many décor schemes. I wouldn't paint it, but I am a wood lover and think you cannot improve on nature unless the wood is damaged. Could you post pix of other parts of the room/your style of décor or thoughts in that area? I don't think painting the baseboards white would detract, but so much depends on what else is going to happen in the space. Also, the top of the walls seem 'bare' with the beauty of the mantle, what do others think? Could molding work or is there too little space? Just thinking...
  • hayleydaniels
    9 years ago
    Leave it as it as it's where so much of the warmth and charm of your home comes from.
  • houseatthelake
    9 years ago
    I would paint it. As it is now the white tile is drawing your eye to it.
  • PRO
    David J. Design Inc.
    9 years ago
    Definitely keep the wood, its really nice. I think what you need though is some drama. I would paint the walls each side of the fireplace a dark color. I am not sure what the paint colour you have chosen looks like but I would make sure you go on the darker side of the grey spectrum instead of anything light. This will make the wood more rich and interesting looking.
    Good luck
  • mmilos
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    ^ The example Natalie posted is nice.
    I would either keep the wood as is or paint it a more dramatic color, like an off-black - depending on your style and other decor. I don't think I'd paint it white unless you were going to change out the floors, hearth and surround to a darker color.
  • PRO
    Bspoke Homes
    9 years ago
    You could consider staining it a darker color....Oak in general takes stain very well and consistently. We have painted many oak mantels, entertainment centers, etc as the natural color of red/white oak can be a bit of a driving force for your design choices.....If you aren't in love with it, pick the things you do love, and then decide on what direction you need to go on the mantle!
  • PRO
    NJ-Stage 2 Style Home Staging & Redesigner
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    I would not paint either i think that color is great. I would by a mirror and place it on the mantle do not hang it on the wall. place it on the mantle a little tilted with accessories on each side beautiful. Ballards has some nice sunburst mirrors, pier 1...then change each side up a bit maybe a candle or two..and on the other side a flower arrangement. That fireplace can look stunning. Here is a photo of a white fireplace it doesn't stand out as much as the wood.. And I love the white trim
  • PRO
    NJ-Stage 2 Style Home Staging & Redesigner
    9 years ago
    see the white really doesn't stand out as much as the wood I love this as well but the wood is real pretty
  • PRO
    Sound Painting Solutions, LLC
    9 years ago
    I would leave it... it looks great!
  • siftarclarke
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thank you everyone for your input! After reading the comments, I think we're leaning toward leaving the fireplace as is and painting the room's baseboards white. The oak matches the hardwood and cabinets in the kitchen, to which the family room is open. @Natalie, love the pic you posted....makes us feel better about leaving the fireplace as is!
  • jsann
    9 years ago
    It's so beautiful as it is!
  • bgfuqua
    9 years ago
    glad you will leave it.
  • PRO
    Jazzy Jazz
    9 years ago
    Keep the natural colour, it seems very nice. Consider changing the colour on the wall, if you have to change something.
  • jonathan3
    9 years ago
    Please, a coat of white paint is not a cure-all for everything that ails your decor. It is flat and lacks the interest and depth of wood. Paint is great for inferior wood, but not for such a beautiful piece. Paint only as a last resort and keep the natural beauty of the wood. (Just my not so humble opinion.) ;)
  • Reni Bruner
    5 years ago

Now in 2018 do designers feel the same way? We have been considering painting our fireplace trim white. Would you remove upper wood columns and trim?? Paint all the wood and center white? Considering painting the walls.