Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jslain1459

Help! Need help painting my new oak kitchen.

Jessica Weber
9 years ago
We moved into a beautiful home (with a wrap around porch!) last November. We chose this home because it has a lot of potential for the future. Our plans are limited at the moment because we have four very young children that are already in the process of destroying the place...but this house is pretty sturdy, nothing it can't handle. So far, we've replaced the ancient appliances, added some tough (inexpensive) vinyl flooring, I frugally painted the hardware to a much more appropriate rubbed bronze and haven't really done much else. So now I'm dying to paint...everything! (except all the wood) I desperately need some advice for a wall color to add some beauty to this cooking space. I like color and I like neutrals. my foyer leads to the kitchen and it is painted with BM Fossil...my front room is NM Tranquility and 1/2 bath is Solitude (or Normandy...haven't decided). I'm thinking of Jute or Pashmina but that leaves NO COLOR...and I don't have any accent color stuffs yet. ANY ADVICE IS APPRECIATED! Thank you so much!

Please don't mind the mess...we live here.

Comments (11)

• Jessica Weber
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Mr. Marko and Ms. Talianko,

Thank you so much for your thoughts! I checked out your color recommendation and I love it, and actually I'm really glad you suggested a creamy yellow hue. Definitely a livable color for us...and will also work in other places of the home too. We have played with the idea of staining the cabinets and painting the doors and trim. I'm curious to know what you would think of leaving leaving the wood trim around the windows and beams...I think the craftsmanship ads character to this home. The honey tones have grown on me a bit (i used to hate it and we told ourselves no honey oak, lol...but just so happens to be exploded all over the house we fell in love with). You should see our stairway though...it's beautiful (I think). I've always preferred an aged oak color...I wonder how that would look too. Either way, it will probably be a project for when our kids are a bit older...to prevent damage and add working labor, haha.

Ms. Talianko - great article! I'm so glad I read it because, for some unknown reason, I thought I should paint every room a different color, then got scared for fear of it looking like a rainbow. I'll post pictures when it's completed :)

Both of your advice will be used in this project....Thank you again so very much!

Jess
  • Arlene Gerhart
    7 years ago
    I'm trying to find neural colors for these rooms that a join each other. Was looking at doing the long wall where sofa is with BM
    Pashmina and doing rest with BM jute. And my husband will not let me paint or stain cabinets. Any suggestions?
  • auntthelma
    7 years ago

I love light blue in a kitchen.

• Arlene Gerhart
    7 years ago
    Here's 2 more pics. And no blue paint.
  • jhmarie
    7 years ago

I have an oak kitchen. My main floor wall color is Valspar Churchill Hotel Ecru. My home was built in 1976 and the trim was a dark stained pine which was not in great shape. I did paint the pine white, but cabinets remain wood and so do doors, though dark slab doors were replaced with paneled doors many years ago.

https://www.houzz.com/photos/my-pics-work-in-progress-phvw-vp~58830325

https://www.houzz.com/photos/my-pics-work-in-progress-phvw-vp~71048330

More pics in idea book.

Arlene - you may want to post as a new dilemma. Many do not look at the older ones.

• Arlene Gerhart
    7 years ago
    Thank you. The jute color I have is the same as what you have so that's good. I like that. Now I just have to decide in living room on one wall to make it a shade darker?
  • jhmarie
    7 years ago

I am not an accent wall person. I am in general, not on trend:)

With the paint I used, it reflects a bit differently on each wall already. I am not sure a slightly darker wall would be apparent. One nice thing about the paint sample jars, you can try out an idea for not too much cost.

• Anonymous Homeowner
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I think if you paint the cabinets and leave the window trim oak the window will stick out like a sore thumb. BUT it's a lot of work to paint the casings around doors, trim, etc and if this room opens up to others then It will look odd to have one kitchen window painted white and leaving the rest oak. So I say paint the cabinets first and then see if you want to paint the door/window casings white, too. You could always paint the window later, and just having the cabinets white will update and brighten up the space.

What type of counter top is that? Will you be replacing or leaving as is? it seems as though the floor tile is neutral and countertop is neutral, once cabinets are white you'll want to add a pop of color. Are you afraid of painting the walls a blue? Buxton Blue by Benjamin Moore or Van Courtland Blue by Benjamin moore are two hues that could look great with the brown/taupe floor, white countertops, and white cabinets. If you left the window trim oak I think it would tie in nicely with that as well. Blue is great for marrying the whites with the brown toes.

• Anonymous Homeowner
    7 years ago

Another Buxton Blue wall in kitchen... the room also has some beige/brown tones like your kitchen

• Anonymous Homeowner
    7 years ago

The van courtland blue in a kitchen is a bit more sophisticated IMO. Absolutely love this color.

Here is another example... Again, it works with white and beige/brown/taupe ones. Can be paired with gray or black accents. Truly a great way to add a pop of color without it being too loud.