Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mary_dillon5591424

Hold me back -- wild fix for bedroom wall challenge?

Mary Dillon
9 years ago
The bed stays -- came through the Civil War with only one little cannonball through the headboard, my grandfather was born in it -- solid walnut, new side rails have made it a standard Queen. Headboard shape makes it difficult, though, to decorate the wall above it. Rest of room is in similarly traditional style. Small first-floor bedroom in traditional 1920s foursquare with circular traffic pattern, of which 13x11 bedroom is part, so it does get seen, no problem with that to my thinking,

PROBLEM is what to do with wall above. Cd look for pair of round things framed in similar wood, but don't feel particularly inspired or hopeful, either, about that option. I now have a Wild Hair to put a valance/cornice above the bed in the same style/size/height as window headers, obviously painted white, and hang sheers straight down on either side, matching current window treatments, with which I am satisfied. I don't think the size of the room will stand anything heavier. Room is pretty tight already and I don't think the valance can come out more than 9-10 inches due to radiator pipes for room above, and although I originally wanted 12 inches, I still think this could work for the light, airy feel I'm going for.

So (1) what do you think about the valance idea, or do you all have other ideas I shd consider?

And (2) what about materials for the proposed valance? Obviously I can do wood and have even bought a nice bit of overrun trim that will help match to other woodwork, but recently I looked up valances and discovered that you can get STYROFOAM ones!!! But these are shaped and intended to be covered with fabric, which was not my original thought. I WAS concerned about the weight, though, because the whole thing will have to be mounted with reference to the position of the bed rather than to the studs. The sheers will weigh practically nothing; the hardware to mount them (which I have yet to identify -- info welcome) will weigh more, although I hope not much. So something lightweight wd be a great help, I'm guessing.

Your thoughts please, kind people?

Comments (31)

• PRO
    JudyG Designs
    9 years ago
    Are you sure about the heritage of the bed? It looks more Victorian in style to me.
    Mary Dillon thanked JudyG Designs
  • Mary Dillon
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Addendum - since these pix, I've found a really great rug that picks up "Southern Pink" of walls plus navy of nice old orientals in adjoining room, and I've also painted that white low chest next to the bed in a fairly wild coral that picks up rug and lamp, with white accents. I also have a bit of artwork on the way for the wall over the side of the bed, between the corner and the window, I thought about painting the white chest under the window in the 3rd photo to match the low chest, but decided it wd make the room look more crowded. For whatever it's worth, the ceilings are about 9'6".
  • Mary Dillon
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    Judy, I'm pretty sure about the bed. Father's cousin, now deceased, told us the story as we were sorting out old country house, and another cousin remembers. I figure cannonball (outside Richmond, as story was told) is reason for unusual double-circle fix. Anyway, didn't Victoria succeed in 1837 or so? What are your thoughts?
  • PRO
    JudyG Designs
    9 years ago
    I just don’t see it. I think the double circle is not a fix, but part of the original design. Let’s see what others have to say.
  • PRO
    JudyG Designs
    9 years ago
    Like this...
  • anne dee
    9 years ago
    looks original to the bed. Double circle that is.
    Mary Dillon thanked anne dee
  • anne dee
    9 years ago
    wouldn't this lovely duvet set look nice n your bed?
    Witney Duvet Cover · More Info
  • Mary Dillon
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Anne, you are right about the pretty bed linens, and thanks for the picture; that part could certainly be dressed up a bit!
  • groveraxle
    9 years ago
    I would not put anything over the bed. The room has a wonderful simplicity (that could be helped by decluttering the dresser a bit). A new nightstand and definitely a taller lamp:
    http://www.wayfair.com/Coastal-Living-1-Drawer-Nightstand-829-03-81-COS1051.html
    http://www.wayfair.com/Kichler-Westwood-%40-Work-Swing-Arm-24.75-H-Table-Lamp-with-Bell-Shade-70406-KI3708.html
    Mary Dillon thanked groveraxle
  • Mary Dillon
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Patricia, this bedroom is no "SET" (LOL!) Although I do thank you for your kind words. These are good things I have been lucky enough to inherit, although indeed the half-wardrobe is probably 1920 - 30 and cd use a refinish, useful only b/c it fits so well and is really quite functional. However, I can certainly see what you mean about a taller lamp, and will add that to my list. Crown molding wd be nice & I cd certainly do, but alas I'm still looking at that blank space above the bed!
  • anne dee
    9 years ago
    You could focus on yr beautiful bed with lovely bed linens with sheers at the windows.
    keep it light and airy.
    I wouldn't worry about valences.
    the lamps shade shown in the ref pic would look better than the pleated one you have on yr very nice lamp base.
    Destin Ceramic Table Lamp · More Info

Are you considering changing the hanging fixture in the room
  • anne dee
    9 years ago
    If you are set on having something over the bed a pair of prints would look alright
    ref pic
    Acme Furniture - Classique Hardwood Cherry Finish Queen Post Bed - 11860CQ · More Info
  • anne dee
    9 years ago
    prints similar to this keeping with your bedroom motif
    (which you could probably DYI)
    Fade Away Framed Print by Bohemia Studios · More Info
  • Mary Dillon
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Grover, alas. decluttering that dresser (which is really a nice sideboard for the dining room but doesn't fit there) is a continual challenge, but I get yr point! Will post updated pix in the AM re the nightstand, although I do agree that something with a few more curves wd definitely add. Sideboard is surprisingly cool, though, for clothes -- scarves and jewelry in top drawer for silverware, T-shirts rolled up in cellarette drawer...
  • Mary Dillon
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Nice lamp, Anne, and I must admit the current one was a much earlier purchase which cd stand to be replaced. I do love celadon. Signing off for night, husband wd like to know Where Is Dinner?!!!
  • Mary Dillon
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    OK, so here's the original 21" lamp, followed by a 27" lamp, followed by a 30", just from what I have on hand. You can see better paint job on small chest beside bed (although I fear I got the color too vivid, it's still an improvement over the original white). Rug update included for reference (sorry for junk on floor -- sorting!). I sort of like 27" height -- what do you all think? I read in my "office" (kitchen) rather than in bed at night, so height doesn't matter for that.

The lamps shown are in good use in other parts of house, so if taller is better I will either buy a new one, or, because I do like the colors of the existing lamp, I may replace the shade and try a trick I've done before with reasonable satisfaction in other spots -- put a stack of interesting-looking books under the original lamp to raise it to the desired height!

As I look at the pic, I also see that I cd probably put the ugly clock radio in the top drawer, closed but for the cord, and that wd clear off the top for a short vase of flowers, & make me open the drawer to shut off the alarm, which wd do a better job of waking me up (I can sleep through anything!).

Given that, wd a small piece of artwork on the wall above the low chest be a good idea?

THANKS FOR YR THOUGHTS!
  • Mary Dillon
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    And also, here's the upcoming artwork for the wall on the other side of the bed, which is blank until you get to the window (the window that makes the splashes of light on the quilt in photos above). I've been going through closets and out-of-the-way storage spaces in a use-it-or-loose it effort, and found the frame, which looks nice in the room, and 2 pieces of eligible artwork, one of which I've had since college (and that's a long time!) and the other of which I paid 45# for about 15 yrs ago but never used. Naturally I am inclined to use the less expensive one!!! They both look best in the same mat, which is a medium-pale sage, but since I haven't yet had the work done, I show them both here on an old bath towel in the same color family, although quite a bit paler. Sorry for the poor photos, but I guess you get the idea. OPINIONS???
  • Mary Dillon
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Anne Dee, I really don't think to replace the hanging fixture. Its a ceiling fan, and we love it at night. It's nothing fancy -- Lowes! -- but white to blend into the ceiling (or wd if I wd clean it), plus I added a pretty blown glass ball from a froufrou shop in Blowing Rock, NC, where they have breathtaking galleries, to dress it up a bit. Do you think it wd be better without?
  • PRO
    Patricia Gagnier Gagnier Construction Co Inc.
    9 years ago
    How about trying the print with women above your nite stand. Just stand it up and lean it against the wall for now. Then try it with the green lamp and gold lamp. Add a fresh white comforter and it would look great.
    Mary Dillon thanked Patricia Gagnier Gagnier Construction Co Inc.
  • Melissa Guinness
    9 years ago
    I wouldn't worry about putting anything directly above the bed. Your space is on the small side and I do believe that a valance would weigh the room down. I would center the bed and get 2 narrow bedside tables and hang wall sconces on each side of the bed.
    Mary Dillon thanked Melissa Guinness
  • anne dee
    9 years ago
    I like yr original bed side lamp but with a new shade sized for yr lamp base (which i suggested above)
    If this is yr decision you may need to change the harp to fit the shade
    Personally, I'm all for Less is Best but that's just me. If you like yr froufrou ball by all means keep it.
    And as PGGCC Inc. suggested you can lean the pic against the wall to determine if you really like it in that place.
    Also, the suggestion for bed linens is critical.
    Beautiful white bed linens will help make the room shine.
    I'm not crazy about the night table maybe a bit too pink as you mentioned
    Fab rug!
    Ingenious, the clock in the drawer.
    ( My preference of course would be what I suggested above ;-) re bed linens)
    Anyways, you have a nice bedroom.
    Sleep Well!
  • Mary Dillon
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    You all are so extremely kind to look at this for me, I truly appreciate yr thoughts. Will shop for white bedspread and shams. Will keep an eye out for substitute small chest beside bed. PLEASE DON'T MISUNDERSTAND ME, NEVER INTENDED TO PUT VALANCES ON WINDOWS!!! Valance idea was for above bed. Alas I have never yet learned to photoshop but am attaching a way bad illustration just to get the point across and make sure we are communicating. The idea I had re valance was something like the TERRIBLY crude sketch below.
  • Mary Dillon
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Getting this silly sketch on here has taken HOURS!! You have to have a JPG (from iphone) not a PDF (from scanner). AAARGH!

Final sketch looks just as bad as I promised, but at least we can be sure what we're talking about. What I had in mind wd be a simple header, like what's on the windows, and at same height. That cd permit hanging white sheers maybe just from each side, or I cd get fancier and do something across top as in photo. Wd leave wall alone otherwise, or cd try hanging a length of truly nice fabric behind (avoiding wallpaper). Saw some similar ideas in an earlier Houzz article about "faking" a canopy, and thought it cd help w/problem of blank wall. Didn't want to overdo it, as room is not large, but thought using wood header trimmed to match existing woodwork cd make it look a little less "cheap" than just draperies all over the place.

Please comment!
  • Mary Dillon
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    About the pix, I find the pretty Vogue garden lady is too big to go above nightstand, especially with the current lamp, or really probably with any other. I taped her (I know, I know!) to the wall on other side of bed to try for a couple of days. Here she is, not that the pic shows so much, but so far I'm really liking her there. White and pink pick up, and she's a not a bad vintage for the room. Trying that medieval miniature above the nightstand, I think it also is likely to be too big once framed. So I also tried it above the silver mirror -- with a minimal frame, it wd come to about the top of the door header (lower than the window headers), and if I space out the other small things surrounding the mirror, and raise the inside two, it cd work. I do need to rehang those other four things, but I had been trying to keep it fairly low because I like the serenity of the tall ceilings.
  • Mary Dillon
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Or maybe the miniature with arch on top is NOT too big. Here's original lamp w/taller shade --- needs harp about 3" taller, put some books under to compensate. It seems too much of a coincidence that both prints do best with same color mat; I'd like to figure out a way to use both (but not at the expense of cluttering the room).
  • Mary Dillon
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I think a rectangular shade like Anne Dee's wd be better, though --wd take up a little less space visually.
  • Mary Dillon
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Melissa, last year I tried centering bed on wall with small bedside tables, but having foot of bed even 12" further out cramped the room, so I ditched thoughts of lamps on either side, although I was tempted and in fact had a pair going begging. I fear the current arrangement of furniture is the best that can be done with this room and this furniture (with exception of nightstand), so I am determined to work with it, and just try to dress it up a bit.
  • Mary Dillon
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Now about that night stand -- I do like a low chest there because in such a small room, the storage is necessary, but it IS too vivid. Do you all think I can get away with a somewhat paler and maybe peachier color and some whimsical retro knobs, or do I need to replace the whole thing with something a bit curvier and (a) natural wood/walnut or (b) still painted, since that seems to lighten room?
  • Mary Dillon
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    And/or, here's one of the dressing mirror raised up @ 5" on another thing I had on hand, cd such an idea help? Or am I just getting silly now?
  • anne dee
    9 years ago
    Hey Mary Dillon
    You be been busy
    I wish I could chime in but Im on the tablet and it's giving me problems or vice versa, SMILE