Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
doojanew

Would the plants in front be suitable for shady area. What r purple plants?

doojanew
11 years ago
Lakeside Retreat · More Info

Comments (4)

• jbalentyne
    11 years ago
    The plants in front are a cultivar of Coral Bells and typically struggle in shady areas due to their lack of chlorophyll to produce ample sugars for adequate growth, hence there leaf color not being green... Best choices for shady areas are typically left to Hostas, Astilbees, Toad Lily, Ferns, some shade tolerant grasses, and groundcovers.
  • PRO
    Arcadia Gardens, LLC
    11 years ago
    The comment above is only partially correct- the Dragon's Blood Sedum is not the best choices for shade gardens, but the Heuchera Plum Pudding does just fine in a partial shade location. Deep shade will cause slower growth, however. This planting is a mixed sun/shade with the very edge being mostly sunny. A good shade garden substitute for the Heuchera would be Ligularia Desdemona or Orthello, although they get quite a bit taller. Japanese Painted Fern is also a nice silvery/burgandy option. I would suggest Astilbe Sprite or annual Impatiens as nice choices to get the strong pink color in the shade.
  • J Corn
    10 years ago
    We have a shade garden in mostly low to deep shade. The Heuchera thrives, perhaps because it is in an established woodland garden?i have no idea why...to be honest. . And, surprisingly, there is some variety of Sedum which does well in our deep shade! But I am moving it.
  • R pnwz8a
    8 years ago

The purple plant isHeuchera.. Thrives in shade

Sponsored
Dream Outdoor Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Providing Quality Home Improvements in South Riding for Over 30 Years