Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
debo91460

Need advice! My cats are shredding my beautiful Pottery Barn rug!

debo91460
9 years ago
I spent months looking for the perfect area rug for the condo I moved to. Then I was horrified by how my cats were immediately drawn to shredding it. It has a somewhat plush feel they obviously love. I have added more scratching posts, throw rugs, and have used up 2 bottles of scratch deterrent spray. I even sprayed catnip spray in their cat cubbies and other ok areas to try to lure them away. Then I covered the whole rug with (an ugly) piece of indoor outdoor carpet for protection until i could come up with a better solution. The minute the indoor outdoor covering started to slip a bit and expose a few inches of my beautiful rug , I caught them SHREDDING any exposed areas. I love my cats but also would like to enjoy my rug and make the room look decent. I've only had the rug a few months and can't afford to buy a new one but I am also open to any advice about a different type/ weave of rug to get in the future. I wish I had a cat whisperer but since I don't I am hoping that some if you might have some ideas. Thank you!

Comments (87)

• grobby
    9 years ago
    Where can I find soft paws. Never heard of them. Thanks.
  • shars55
    9 years ago
    Petsmart and Petco have them, if you're in the USA, grobby. If not, I also used to find them online at sites like ebay.
  • User
    9 years ago
    Boy, it's very hard to try and train a cat not to do something. I have 2 cats. I had a slipcovered rocker ruined due to scratching. At least they're not peeing, marking, or vomiting hairballs on the carpet. Here's what didn't work for me: Aluminum foil (on a tabletop), a spray of water, a loud clap or noise, or immediately moving them to another area. Here's what did work: Frizzy rope wrapped around a desk leg and a horizontal piece of carpet framed in wood and put on the floor. They preferred that to the regular carpet but it sheds after scratching. I heard there's something out there from Petco that has a puff of air when the cats walks by it. You might try that. That's the next thing I'm going to try to keep the cats off the new, painted, tv console. Good luck.
  • User
    9 years ago
    the puff of air is supposed to shoo the cat away from the area you don't want him/her to touch.
  • regjack
    9 years ago
    @grobby Petco carries a version called Soft Claws, or you can order them online at amazon or softpaws.com.
  • Paula Lewis
    9 years ago
    Clip the hooks off their claws every ten days or so.

With cats, dogs, horses and kids you can train them not to do what you don't want them to do while you are looking at them.
  • happyleg
    9 years ago
    Cats loves the soft rug, go with sisal.
  • karelina
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    My 2 started to scratch a new hemp rug.
    I followed the following steps:
    1. sprinkled catnip on the scratching post
    2. yelled, “no,’ moved cat to post and I scratched with cat’s paws
    3. added large horizontal cardboard scratcher on the spot (to be moved later) and yelled, “no,’ moved cat to cardboard and scratched with paws
    4.sprinkled catnip on cardboard scratcher
    5. Congratulate kitties when scratched on post or cardboard.
    6. Clip claws about 1/mo. You can do it. Ask at a reputable pet store. Kitties don’t like too long claws.

And, almost no scratching a couple of days later.
    once in a while, one of my guys starts, but if they see me, they move to one of the scratchers and I congratulate them with ‘good kitty’ and pet them and that seems to be it.
  • karelina
    9 years ago
    Here’s Bhakti on the scratching post.
  • User
    9 years ago
    If it isn't already shot, as a temproary method scatter citrus peel around the rug. Also whole bulbs of unpeeled garlic. This method worked with our three cats.
  • happyleg
    9 years ago
    A friend squirts her cat with water. The bottle is called "Law & Order"
  • PRO
    Tamara Heather Interior Design, LLC
    9 years ago
    Great advice from everyone, I agree with everything except de-clawing. I faced a similar problem with one of my cats, a horizontal scratcher, who got to work destroying a much loved new rug the second it arrived in our home. While I have not been able to "cure" her of the behavior, I've mitigated damage by taking the following steps: added a horizontal scratching surface in the same room as the rug to give her an acceptable substitute, clipped her claws regularly, and kept her out of that room by keeping the door closed as much as possible. I also give her a treat every time I see her using the scratch pad. It's not perfect. Every so often I find a clump of rug fibers. I have resigned myself to not ever owning any more high-end rugs while I have cats. It is a trade-off but I feel it's more than worth it for the warmth and affection my kitties bring to the household.
  • Liane Austin-Vickers
    9 years ago
    I would classify myself in the " Crazy Cat Lady" category.
    NEVER declaw your babies. It's amputation.

Having said that, keep cats nails trimmed will help. Cats shed their nail tissue by scratching. Some of mine like verticals , some like horizontal.

Citronella oil spray can help deter from that area. They don't like the scent. If purchased at a pet supply, it's usually non staining.

Another option I use: my cats don't like carpet scratching posts?? But like the rugs, I place those foam, kid mats for scratching. ( they often look like puzzle pieces). I will take a picture of one and send it.

Another suggestion is to rub cat nip where you WANT them to scratch... Like a cardboard post, or a suitable alternative.

You won't stop them, but you can redirect them.

Good luck. Your babies are beautiful.
  • n9537q
    9 years ago
    Please please do not declaw. It is indeed amputation and just a small amount of research will show that this is a terrible choice for your cats. Try water pistols, clear sticky tape stuck sticky side up on the rug for a month or so, or Saran Wrap. If you can diligently spray the cat every time they try to scratch while loudly saying the word no!, then eventually you will get to a point where just saying no! or simply picking up the water pistol will have the same effect without having to actually spray it.
  • Vintage...VJ Jazzy Jazz
    9 years ago
    @karelina
    Here’s Bhakti on the scratching post.....

He/she looks a well balanced cat ....

If we pick our noses ...should we have our fingers chopped off
    NO....(please note I don't pick mine )
  • PRO
    Vanessa Tong Fine Arts and Creative Writer
    9 years ago
    I know this sounds silly, but it has always worked for my cats. When you catch them in the midst of undesirable behavior, hiss. Just like a dominant cat does, it will eventually give them the idea this is not something they should be doing. And be forceful when you do this. They need to know who is boss!
  • Vintage...VJ Jazzy Jazz
    9 years ago
    We had what we thought was the best behaved dog ...
    Told not tooooo go on the sofa ...she as we thought
    Never did ...
    Until...
    We rigged up a camera ...
    While we were out ...
    She enjoyed time on the sofa like a naughty kid ...
    You could almost see the grin on her face
    We so laughed at what we saw ...
    She's no longer with us ..
    Miss her like crazy .....
    OH
    wanted a cat ..after she had gone
    We got two dogs ..
  • User
    9 years ago
    Their nails need to be trimmed on a regular basis (once every 3-4 weeks). Second, have you tried the corrugated style flat scratcher? Some cats prefer scratching flat surfaces more than vertical (scratch post) surfaces. Sprinkle some catnip on it when you first get it.
  • garf_gw
    8 years ago

I am on my 3rd indoor cat. All were declawed in the front. Once they healed, no problem. Never had complications.

• PRO
    JudyG Designs
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

When we got our kitty, she started clawing. No amount of effort on our part would stop her. We tried all the above...nothing worked. I called the vet to talked to him about de clawing her. He asked me to come in for "counseling"...not kidding. The choices were to declaw or get rid of her. He asked me to think about what might happen to her if returned to the Rescue League...now past the cute kitty stage, her chance of being adopted was reduced and being put down a possibility. We chose declawing and keeping her an indoor kitty. She healed in days; never had a problem with the surgery; and has been a joy in our life.

You can't have a cat tearing up a Persian or a Mitchell Gold sofa and if all else fails, better to declaw than get rid of a cutie you love.

BTW, deb, try a cashmere sweater razor on the pulls. It won't fix, but may help the rug look better.

http://www.amazon.com/Sunbeam-S20-Deluxe-Clothes-Shaver/dp/B00474IL8I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=144

• karelina
    8 years ago

Declawing is cruel. Here's what the Humane Society says about it: http://www.humanesociety.org/animals/cats/tips/declawing.html?referrer=https://www.google.com/

• shars55
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I agree, karelina. I would never do that to one of my cats. Mine never scratches furniture, she only uses her scratchy posts. Cats CAN BE TRAINED.

• map
    8 years ago
    I don't trim my cats nails just in case she needs to defend herself. We live on 5 acres with wild animals lurking around. My Emma scratched the walls to get your attention, come feed me, I need a drink of water from the bath tub, I need to go out. You get my drift! I provide her with a cat tree and scratching vertical/horizontal pads. I just can not have my husband working for Miss Emma to destroy the merchandise...Lol. She is very mischievous and definitely understands the word No. You have to stay on top of them until they get it. I bottle fed this cat from birth so she here to stay. I found a scat mat for dogs and cats to stay off of furniture etc. You may want to check it out, it has good reviews.
  • garf_gw
    8 years ago

It is a case of either declaw or we don't have a cat. I know some are dead set against it, but if we don't declaw, we don't provide a cat a safe and comfortable life. We treat our cats well once they are declawed.

• rouxb
    8 years ago

"De claw or no cat" are absolutely NOT the only options. Cats can be trained-it takes patience and consistency and education. And I would bet my piano socks that any cat shelter would rather you NOT provide a cat a safe and comfortable life if that means amputating its phalanges.

• Nancy
    8 years ago

Debo, in regard to your original question. I eventually gave up on "real" rugs and switched to a polypropylene indoor/outdoor rug. It's indestructible even when they scratch on it. They make plenty of interesting patterns and colors. I got mine at Home Depot but obviously lots of other places have them. Keeps your feet warm without the frustration.

• pfkhome
    6 years ago

I have a similar problem but my female cat added a twist - she scratches the rugs and then urinates on them. I've had her checked for infections and she is fine; apparently she is just marking the rugs. She extended this behavior to my sofa and chair cushions, and I am pretty much at my wits end. I have decided to give up on the rugs for now, and have been using a scat mat and putting our cushions up at night. She normally does this either in the middle of the night so it's hard to chase her away. I love her to pieces but she's been a very expensive kitty :( ps, I know I'm two years late to this discussion but in case anyone reads it, I could use suggestions!

• pfkhome
    6 years ago

I forgot to add I have an older male cat and two dogs, all of whom get along wonderfully. But I believe she is marking for the benefit of the younger dog.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

pfkhome,,this is an old post. but as for your cat, sounds like she is insecure about something. did you recently get a new member of the family, a new pet, is there something outside (like another cat in your yard) that she sees? i had the same issue w/mine after we got a new kitten, even though there were already 4 other cats that she lived with. I guess the new guy was just one too many!

oh, i just saw the dog post. that's why she's doing it. she's insecure, it makes her feel better and she is marking for her territory out of stress and feeling threatened. she isn't doing it for the dog, she's doing it for herself.

you may have to reintroduce the puppy or find a way to let her accept him.

• pfkhome
    6 years ago

Thanks Beth - it was funny; she is fine with the youngest dog (who we've had two years now but she has been marking for almost a year). She just suddenly decided to do it. Other than this she is a great cat and I couldn't bear to have her with another family although I've given serious thought to it :( She will be with us but I guess the rugs won't. I do like the idea of purchasing a good-weight clear vinyl that I could roll up when I have guests. Sounds ridiculous but what we won't do for our pets.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 years ago

yeah,,i tried the same thing. brought in a nice fluffy rug and put it in the same room as the litter box. this cat decided she liked fluffy 'litter' instead! got rid of the rug but then she decided she like other rugs and clothes. he ended up as a garage cat! this other one tho, I tried everything to get her to stop. everything. she would pee in the most obscure places. even gave her extra attention. she wouldn't stop. i had to re-home her. she ruined a brand new sofa. couldn't do it anymore.

• Nancy
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Time for a consultation with Jackson Galaxy!

• elizabethmitchell
    6 years ago

I was googling about cats and rugs. So funny I have a Pottery Barn area rug and the exact thing is happening to me. The truth is, the Pottery Barn rugs are low quality. I spent well over a thousand dollars for my large rug but it is pretty, but crap. I have many other areas rugs that my cats scratch, but they don't fall apart like this one. My first signal should have been when the directions advised not using the beater brush to vacuum. Strange. That is how a vacuum works. This worried me. Again, I have many other rugs....some hand made, and some machine rugs, also some Soumak rugs. None of them are much bothered by my cats. I hope you kept your cats! I know your original post was a couple years ago!

• Geneviève
    4 years ago

Claws and cats wont work, roll up the carpet .

• mccarthy367
    4 years ago
    Have their nails trimmed, get a horizontal cardboard scratch pad, maybe get a noise maker that will emit a high pitched sound when the carpet is disturbed.
  • map
    4 years ago
    Since this thread has been brought out of the archives I’ll respond. I also have a cat that likes to scratch the arms and sides of furniture. I’ve tried everything on the market to stop this behavior. I feel it‘s bad behavior when I catch her doing it she runs. After her ruining a few pieces of furniture I went on a quest and found the Scat Mat. It’s battery operated and gives off static electricity. As a result I have purchased a Hancock and Moore recliner without fear of it being destroyed...it works!
  • happyleg
    4 years ago

A scratch & stretch pad & a self groomer. Train it with a clicker & treats.

• Rebecca Rankin Rivenburgh
    3 years ago

i bought pottery barn rug a few years ago and although I tried a few things- it ended going to the cat. Fast forward, new house cheap rug, cat doesn’t touch. Bought pottery barn rug for different room thinking cat over it, nope. I have noticed after a day that he has scratched in one place. my Training begins in 2 days. I’ll remove the chairs and sit on rug On floor. When he steps on rug he’ll get squirted with water and a no. There will be several squirt bottles around perimeter. And of course, for now when I’m not home or if I can’t give him 1/1 he will go in basement ( finished)

• Rebecca Rankin Rivenburgh
    3 years ago

Sounds like my first PB and original poster happened at same time. I still have that original rug and now unrolling in basement so cat can have at it

• Branka Gittens
    3 years ago

This is happening to my brand new PB rug too. I’m so upset.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

BRanka, cats like wool and to scratch. get a couple of cat scratchers, cat trees, rub catnip on them, place them near the rug. show the cat how to scratch on them. eventually they'll move onto the scratchers. slowly move them away from the rug weekly. they should leave the rug alone. you could try spraying the No Scratch stuff on it too, but scratching posts are the main thing you need.

• toni1947
    3 years ago

I do not own cats so this may be a stupid suggestion. Can you not keep the cats out of that particular room? If not, could you use the rug in another room that you can close off from cats?

• toni1947
    3 years ago

I just noticed how old this post is

• Jen H
    2 years ago

Try a tight low pile wool rug. Cats still dig but it doesn’t ruin the rug. Wool still sheds out of the rug but my rug is holding up. Kitties love plushy rugs. Also for the person with kitties peeing outside the litter boxes...and if medical issues are ruled out...and the boxes are cleaned twice a day and each cat has a box...then try Cat Attract cat litter. It worked for me Immediately, after one of my cats wouldn’t use the litter box. Cats don’t like scented litters. Cat Attract contains some kind of plants/herbs in the clay base. Most cats prefer clay. It’s natural. It worked for us. Good luck. 🐈‍⬛ rule!

• lvantwout
    2 years ago

I have 3 cats who are trying to pull on the woven rug we just bought. I keep a spray bottle of water handy.(Cats hate water ) and every time they claw the rug, they get a spritz of water. Be consistent. And I yell each time too and that scares them. I would also suggest to keep their claws clipped and they won't be able to do much damage that way.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

IVANWOUT, scaring them with water and yelling at them is just going to make them a psychotic basket case. Anxious cats will do more damage.

They have to scratch. if you don't provide them w/something, they will use what they can. That's on you. So be a good cat owner and buy them a few posts, or those cardboard scratching boxes. They are cheap.

Get a little scratching post and put it next to your rug. (try amazon or Wayfair)

Rub the post w/catnip.

when they go to scratch your rug, gently pick them up and place their paws on the scratching post. give them a little catnip so they associate it w/good.

They have to scratch. Give them something that they can use and they won't touch your stuff.

i have 5 cats and 3 of these posts and other cat trees. They don't touch any of my furniture or the rugs.

• vikingudden
    2 years ago

Do not declaw your cats!! Cruel and painful! I correct my cats if they attempt to scratch the rug with a "squirt gun" and water! I don't even have to spray it... my cats sees it and runs. Keep your cats safe and loved! Please do not declaw! Imagine someone doing that to you!!

• vikingudden
    2 years ago

Did you try double sided tape? My only concern is the time that I am not in the room when my Barney (Barnacle) claws the rug. He will stop if I see him and speak to him! : ) I would not trade my cats for the world. Best of luck with your cats!

• tammytalking
    2 years ago

I have kitty disappointments too. Right now my cat is putting very small rips in my linens. I plan on sewing the rips and clipping his nails.

I do recommend the scratch post in the first posted picture above by Bet H. It’s not cheap but it’s the best. Cats need something to scratch on.

• Elaine Doremus Resumes Written
    2 years ago

Completely disagree with declawing.

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!