Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
summilux

Salvaged hardwood flooring and trim to new floors and installed trim.

summilux
9 years ago
Here are the before and after photos. The in-between tale is at
http://smortegav.blogspot.com/2014/09/tijuana-termites.html

Comments (15)

• PRO
    OTM Designs & Remodeling Inc.
    9 years ago
    Great work!
    summilux thanked OTM Designs & Remodeling Inc.
  • PRO
    River Valley Cabinet Works
    9 years ago
    Ah, yes....the ol' Saab pickup truck! ;-)
    summilux thanked River Valley Cabinet Works
  • PRO
    Select Hardwood Floor Co.
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    Kudos! A lotta hard work.
    Read your blog post & had to chuckle... yeah that "do-it-yourself" stuff is more involved than the "Power to do" folks would have you think!
    I hope you nailed it (the floor) more frequently than the previous installer did... (judging by the pics).
    summilux thanked Select Hardwood Floor Co.
  • PRO
    Mural Art - Wall Murals and Custom Paintings
    9 years ago
    Love the hardwood floors. Hard work I bet, but well worth the effort :)
    summilux thanked Mural Art - Wall Murals and Custom Paintings
  • sura4509
    9 years ago
    Awesome!
    summilux thanked sura4509
  • noelinaz
    9 years ago
    gorgeous
    summilux thanked noelinaz
  • PRO
    Al Fortunato Furnituremaker
    9 years ago
    Looks great!
    summilux thanked Al Fortunato Furnituremaker
  • Vintage...VJ Jazzy Jazz
    9 years ago
    From this toooo this ...
    Just love it ...
    summilux thanked Vintage...VJ Jazzy Jazz
  • harrycage
    9 years ago
    That's an awesome project! Yes, hardwood can be a huge investment but it is all worth it. That's why I recommend to my friends to go with hardwood on floors & stairs.
    summilux thanked harrycage
  • PRO
    Gilmans Kitchens and Baths
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    Love projects like this... not only are you upcycling, but you are truly telling a story now and this will be a great conversation "piece"! Keep up the great work and continue to inspire! Looks great!
    - Janis, GKB
    summilux thanked Gilmans Kitchens and Baths
  • kday72
    8 years ago

Thanks for posting! I've read thru your blog but I haven't found any information on how you prepped the salvaged floors for install. Did you scrape, sand or otherwise clean the tongue and grooves to get a tighter fit or did you just add wood putty in between the boards? Would love to know more as we are in the same position but are having a hard time finding anyone who will install the salvaged wood floors.

summilux thanked kday72
  • summilux
    Original Author
    8 years ago

@kday72

The most important thing is what the boards look like when purchased. The T&G's should be clean if stapled; if you have to clean off glue or there's a lot of damage from removal, best to look elsewhere. Nails are much easier to remove than staples, but it's still a time-intensive proposition. If your floor is in good shape and you use a ;jig- mine was a stout piece of hardwood screwed 3/8" close to the bowed/disfigured board being installed. Use a crowbar to force the board into place w/in 1/8". Then give a strong whack with a heavy hammer on the nailgun to finish getting the board tight. I was pleasantly surprised at how tight the floor was after sanding (although a lot more sanding required than when new boards used). I don't like putty- I used thin strips with my saw blade angled and hammered them in with glue applied, then sand flush. Hope this helps.

• Debbie M
    8 years ago

Nice work!

summilux thanked Debbie M
  • PRO
    Addition Building & Design, Inc.
    8 years ago

Very nice job.

summilux thanked Addition Building & Design, Inc.