Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
schoonerbob

Why call it a "Japanese Tea House"

schoonerbob
9 years ago
Calling it a Japanese tea house seems so strange when it has very little to do with the style or function of a Japanese Tea House. Call it a " new age" or "meditation Hut" or something, but it smacks of either deliberate misuse of a foreign culture, or lack of understanding of it. There are some beautiful elements, but I would not call them "Japanese". You would find it basically lacking in all required elements for a Japanese tea house, in spite of it's "prettiness".
Japanese Tea House · More Info

Comments (3)

• PRO
    Miriam's River House Designs, LLC
    9 years ago
    Schoonerbob, Thank you for your question and taking the time to write. It appears that you are a fan of Japanese architectural and design style as are we. It is not only beautiful and graceful but easily lends itself to artistic expression which is why many of its elements are found weaving throughout some of our designs. Artistic expression is not meant to be “traditional” per se, but rather it is the artistic interpretation and expression of the artist. All of our designs are just that, artistic expressions of both the customer’s and our own input, which creates unique one-of-a-kind art pieces.

In regards to the Japanese Tea House that you are referring to, it was never intended to be a “traditional” Tea House in the way that you perceive, but rather an artistic expression based on the style of a traditional Japanese Tea House using our own Metaphysical design principals and customer’s input. I would suggest, that if you have the time to visit our web site (miriamsriverhousedesigns.com), you can read the description that we have given for its design. I think it would help you understand that there is not and never was any intended disrespect aimed at the Japanese culture. This particular Japanese Tea House, designed using metaphysical principles, was intended to be a one-of-a-kind art piece, yet still functional. We are Metaphysical designers (not necessarily new age) and we design structures using the principles of mathematics, physics, historical spiritual concepts, and so forth. Combining and weaving these kinds of concepts and elements into our gardens and structures is a part of our business that we dearly love. Our art pieces are meant to invoke thought provoking discussion, which is one of the goals of any artist. Is our style for everyone? Absolutely not. Do you have to agree with it? Absolutely not. But for those who look for deeper meaning in life and the universe around them, our design style is going to resonate with them.

We have performed a number of Chanoyu demonstrations at our business location and at other locations for organizations interested in learning about the amazing beauty of a Chanoyu. Personally, I believe that the Chashitsu (traditional or our version) and the Chanoyu are very deeply connected to universal beauty, and again, in my opinion, very metaphysical in their meanings. Consider the “traditional” guest door, nijiriguchi, whose size and form contain a wealth of metaphysical information. At my age however, the idea of crawling through this small opening leaves me wondering if I would be able to get back up. It’s a good day to make yourself a cup of Usucha, sit back and contemplate the wonderful elements found in Japanese design. My best to you, Nancy Drobnick
  • aawuofa
    6 years ago

Well said Nancy and I love this design.

• Keith Mayes
    4 years ago

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Your Japanese Tea house is truly a work of art. Changing a name will not distract from the careful detail and thought given to your design. The owner must be more than satisfied and happy with this beautiful project. One negative review can never overcome one hundred positive reviews. Thank you for sharing your detailed photos!

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County