Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
valerie_robinson8169024

Need help updating my aqua bathroom...too much aqua

Valerie Robinson
9 years ago
Would love recommendations for paint colors and other tricks to contrast against the all aqua color scheme. Also, there are two tile colors-90% is a green blue but the tile counter next to the sink is light blue. Thanks!

Comments (40)

• Vintage...VJ Jazzy Jazz
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    Berger bathroom · More Info

Love this artwork you already have in your Ideabook
    And it has some aqua already in it ..
  • susanmarguerite
    9 years ago
    The tile and tub and sink can all be painted. It's cheaper than replacing it all. It will take a professional who specializes in this. Unless of course, you want to keep the color it is.
    Valerie Robinson thanked susanmarguerite
  • susanmarguerite
    9 years ago
    Before and after
    Valerie Robinson thanked susanmarguerite
  • Rina
    9 years ago
    Vintage Jazz, I think the newspaper walls are genius, but technically difficult to achieve unless it's an obtainable wallpaper. Valerie, my first thought was boring old white, but if you could find a black/white (waterproof) wallpaper that reproduces this beautiful look that would be wonderful. Nobody would notice the difference in the tiles, I think. Curses on whoever did that, on your behalf. Mix the two tile colours up in accessories, perhaps? Towels, cotton-ball bowls? And yes, red accents would be so good, especially as you already have them.

Could you stretch to a white floor?
    Valerie Robinson thanked Rina
  • User
    9 years ago
    I love the vanity Vintage Jazz found. I have a cabinet just like yours out in the garage. I think underneath that blue paint is probably a blonde wood. It's probably going to be difficult to strip and refinish without damaging the wood so I might just be tempted to mimic the dark color of the wood in Jazz's vanity with paint. Rustoleum has some that works great.

http://www.rustoleum.com/product-catalog/consumer-brands/transformations

What's your budget? I think the top of the vanity needs to be the first priority. The tiles are not helping things. You can paint them if you have basically no budget. I assume you don't have the budget currently for a complete redo.

Aside from that I would go beige everywhere else. A true beige. That, again, is referenced in Jazz's photo in the newsprint. Beige walls, beige rug, beige shower curtain.

Good luck!
    Valerie Robinson thanked User
  • User
    9 years ago
    PS - new bathtub fixtures - bright chrome - if you can swing it. Something modern. And then remove that pole thing from the corner. Looks kind of dated. Clean up the grout. Completely take all the caulking out and redo it in a silicone nice and neat.
    9 years ago
    Maybe as surggested accents of red ....as you already have some going on
    Please don't change the sink ...

It's crying out toooooo stay
    You could keep what's there ..
    If you don't have a high budget paint your vanity
    And then put new handles on ....

@Rina ....I did a vintage music sheet wall
    in my old cottage
    I was sad toooo leave it ...
    Valerie Robinson thanked Vintage...VJ Jazzy Jazz
  • Rina
    9 years ago
    Vintage, how did you do that, technically? Actual music sheets? What kind of glue? What kind of sealing? Sounds wonderful.

I agree, do not change the sink. It's very special.
    9 years ago
    @jn3344.... Go get that cabinet out of
    Your garage ...put it toooo good use .....
  • User
    9 years ago
    =)
    9 years ago
    Yes they were old music sheets ..I used
    Wallpaper paste ....Put varnish on toooo
    Seal them..
    I collected them from charity shops
    and boot sales
    I still have a few left ..
    So I guess the collecting starts all over again
    For a new wall
  • Mark
    9 years ago
    I would embrace the blue/aqua and add some dark chocolate to the mix. Paint the vanity white.
  • PRO
    Mr Cabinet Care
    9 years ago
    I actually love the tile countertop in blue. You could replace original sink with a white sink, and reface the cabinets with white shaker style cabinets for a contemporary and beach-inspired look.
    Valerie Robinson thanked Mr Cabinet Care
    9 years ago
    https://www.houzz.com/photos/228-pendleton-road-shabby-chic-style-bathroom-atlanta-phvw-vp~6564322
    Just toooo show you
    That you could have little cafe curtains instead of the doors ..
    On the existing vanity ...
    Keep the aqua sink ...
    Embrace all that is vintage ....
    I can see ....
    I am going tooooo have toooo
    Start up

A petition to KEEP THE SINK ....lol
  • Rina
    9 years ago
    Aaah, Vintage, I can just hear that wall.

Okay. Keep that sink! Keep that sink! Keep that sink!

I'm off to bed now (foreign, not clock crazy), but I'll keep chanting all night long.
  • Rina
    9 years ago
    I have a friend who is making a floor from torn-up magazine pictures and varnish. She's nuts, but it's her house, so who cares?
  • rinked
    9 years ago
    First thing I'd like to ask is: How is the quality of the tile and grout? The tub's caulking looks bad (or is it just the picture?) Maybe replace the vanity top and tub? (I'm not familiar with painting a tub, so have no suggestion on that)

And is the tub exactly the same color as the sink?

If it were my space, I'd rip out the wall tile and try to preserve the vanity (and paint the ceiling the same blue). I'm pretty good at tiling and grouting myself, if I may say so, but I completely understand if you're not. In that case tackling the vanity top is a lot easier.
    Valerie Robinson thanked rinked
  • bgfuqua
    9 years ago
    I would keep all the fixtures and tile. then paint walls light beige. I liked the chocolate and aqua towels shown above - no red.
    Valerie Robinson thanked bgfuqua
    9 years ago
    @Rina ....hope the chanting went well ....
    I wonder what Valerie Robinson ..
    Thinks thus far ....
    And .........
    If she would join
    The chanting .......
  • Rina
    9 years ago
    I chanted beautifully. Ignorance showing: Valerie Robinson?

Also liking chocolate and aqua, by the way.
  • User
    9 years ago
    The OP. She hasn't commented on our suggestions at all.
  • Rina
    9 years ago
    Oh what a dufus am I. My apologies, Valerie.
  • Geneviève
    9 years ago
    I would get a darker shade for the walls in either paint or wall paper it depends on the budget and the taste of course:) here is my choice for the paper ,after that white towels and white accessories and enjoy .

Frosted Teal ED018 Edie Self-Adhesive Wallpaper, Frosted Teal, Wallpaper · More Info

Cane White Geometric Shower Curtain · More Info

Martini Girls in Mermaid Wall Art · More Info

Surf Blue 2056-30, Benjamin Moore · More Info
    9 years ago
    Dear Daisy Cottage · More Info

Take out the large mirror and
    Then add a few vintage looking ones
    You could even paint a few Aqua ...
    Or whatever colour you wish ..
    Or keep them gold
    Why stop at one mirror
    When you can have lots
  • jh77
    9 years ago
    From the post it sounds like paint is your primary budget for now. You can have the tile painted professionally and it will look like the picture above. Ask for quotes to see if it is in your budget. The last people who owned my house did that and it is a good fix if you cannot stand all the blue. Having had a sink like that with no spout, I give you permission to get rid of it if you don't like it (and keep it if you do like it because you don't need my permission.) It actually would not be a difficult do it yourself to tear out the countertop and sink and replace it with formica - which would be appropriate to the tile work - and a drop in $20 sink. I've done that myself just using the orange Home Depot how to book. For paint you don't want pure white, a cream to very light yellow will give a clean look that won't be glaring. It also wouldn't be expensive to take a hammer to the tile half wall and replace it with sheetrock. That would give you a chance to insulate that wall and probably make the room much warmer. If you aren't comfortable with doing sheet rock get some estimates from a dry wall person or a handyman before you decide. Good luck!
    Valerie Robinson thanked jh77
  • jh77
    9 years ago
    Just fyi on the counter, there is a formica pattern that is primarily neutral with tiny flecks of teal blue, and a marmoleum floor that also has just a hint of blue/green running through it that would help tie things together. I used them in my bathroom. I'm showing a photo of one of the existing bathrooms that is identical to the remodeled one, and the remodeled one that uses the blue/neutral color scheme. It gets a lot of compliments.
    Valerie Robinson thanked jh77
  • Jolene
    9 years ago
    What material is the floor? If keeping everything I would consider doing the floor in a white tile. Il the little hexagon ones that would still go with the era of the bathroom.
    Valerie Robinson thanked Jolene
  • Dar Eckert
    9 years ago
    The countertop and sink are worth trying to save. Not sure of the condition of the cabinet but paint and knobs would help that in addition to some type of closing device to keep the doors shut.

I have had a tub painted but it was fiberglass and it looks great. It is pretty inexpensive and painting it white would look nice.

The floor appears to be vinyl. Wonder if there is tile under it?
    Valerie Robinson thanked Dar Eckert
  • housegal200
    9 years ago
    Adding to the rich milk chocolate brown and aqua vote though I do love the old newspaper idea. Likely quite.tricky in a bathroom with shower, bathtub, and steam as opposed to a powder room
    Valerie Robinson thanked housegal200
  • Rina
    9 years ago
    Happy someone else thinks a white floor is a good idea, Jolene. What an enjoyable, creative thread. How are you feeling about all this, Valerie? (See, I remembered -- which is a fair feat for me.)
  • Valerie Robinson
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thanks to all for your ideas/votes! I am looking at low budget fixes right now. I love the dark brown wood with the vanity but think that will have to be the long term goal. The floor is rather hideous vinyl and want to replace it. Love the white hexagonal tile idea. Also love the fun vintage accessories especially the mermaid in the bathroom idea. My first apartment my roommate and I lacquered pictures/newspaper articles over our coffee table. The newspaper/music sheets wall paper is amazing and I hope someone more patient than I uses that :) we do plan to clean up the tub grout as well. Also, the sink, tub and wall tile are same color only the sink tile is different.
  • Valerie Robinson
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    What do you think about a darker wood laminate and for the flooring, painting the vanity white with updated handles and painting the walls beige? Or is the white hexagon all tile a better idea?
  • Valerie Robinson
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I'm 100% into the save the sink chance but I'm more of a backup singer type of voice ;)
    9 years ago
    Yes yes ..keeping the sink ...
    You could buy extra shower curtains (not the one you have )
    And use the extra like
    cafe curtains on the
    Vanity instead of the doors ....
    That's if you can sew
  • Rina
    9 years ago
    Oy, Valerie, you should hear my voice. Please step up to the microphone.
  • Rina
    9 years ago
    Omigoodness, I've just looked at your home page. You're a llama! Llamas can chant beautifully. Or is that lamas?
  • Natalie
    9 years ago
    Hi---I like the tile! I do recommend changing the entire vanity (tiles too) if you can keep the sink-great... White vanity and counter. For the walls, check SW's Conservative Gray and Agreeable Gray. Compare those colors with your new/existing floor and tile. Crisp white shower curtain/roman shade embellished with a decorative vintage fabric. Hope this is helpful. Good Luck!
    [houzz=
    Model Merchandising · More Info
    ][houzz=
    Traditional Bedroom · More Info
    ]
    https://www.etsy.com/listing/193385616/sale-1-yard-emmy-grace-painted-ladies-in?ref=sc_3&sref=sr_9f11749d813b2532a721a96b0457b875c82decb7ee6f497d70a902653cf6a271_1411841899_14241026_grey&sref2=MTkzMzg1NjE2%3AZ3JleQ..%3AMTQyNDEwMjY.%3AZ3JheSBhbmQgYXF1YSBhcnQ.%3Ady4y%3AMTQxMTg0MTg5OQ..%3AMzoxNDExODQxODk5OjBrQmtad2JRTTVOaVo4Nk5uQ0V6MWIxY1A5QlM6Y2U1YjQzYjkzNjU3OTFiYzE3NWYyNTFhMzZlZjkyOWMyNmJmMjc0NDVmYzJlMmYzYzZiZDg4NjIyZjRjNDI0ZA..%3A15b84f8247a39893b53da47ea08206cd6d52a658&ga_search_query=gray+and+aqua+art&ga_page=5&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery
    Valerie Robinson thanked Natalie
  • anne dee
    9 years ago
    You might consider adding lilac to the blue.
    Paint the wall and cabinetry white for freshness and you could add colour with the shower curtain and other bath accessories
    some suggestions.
    keeping in mind a your mentioning of a budget.
    Valerie Robinson thanked anne dee
  • Dar Eckert
    9 years ago
    Love the lilac idea! Here's some more products.

Trans Globe PND-607 LILAC Desert Rose 15" Pendant · More Info

Machine Washable Navy Blue Bathroom Rugs, Large · More Info

Bubble Lamp, Cigar Criss Cross, White, Small · More Info

Horizontal or Vertical Mirror With Lilac Frame · More Info
    Valerie Robinson thanked Dar Eckert