Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tobeaglegal

Need help with colours - I'm clueless

tobeaglegal
9 years ago
Hi all!
Need help with color for my partner's and mine new townhouse! I've no eye for colors/decor/etc - in short, I'm clueless! Here are some photos of the the master bedroom. Huh - they're not very good photos. Sorry folks Any suggestions are appreciated! Ignore swatches. Not really feeling those colors now!
Thanks!

Comments (49)

• PRO
    Pamela DeCuir Interior Designs
    9 years ago
    Generally speaking, blues and greens are considered restful and work well in bedrooms. For blues try BM #AC-16 Kentucky Haze or #1563 Quiet Moments. For greens try BM #1495 October Mist or #494 Lewiville Green.
    tobeaglegal thanked Pamela DeCuir Interior Designs
  • special morning
    9 years ago
    Is that floor colour staying? You will need to work with it if so.
    tobeaglegal thanked special morning
  • printesa
    9 years ago
    I have a chocolate brown on the wall behind the bed and the rest of them are a warmer cream than the one you have. I like it, but I want to change it to a blue. I think a nice blue will work well in your room, especially that you have brown floors
    tobeaglegal thanked printesa
  • tobeaglegal
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Hi Pamela!
    I didn't know that about blues and greens for bedrooms - I will definitely look into those colours this week! Thank you! Would you paint the whole room either blue or green or is it an accent wall either blue or green?

Hi Susanna!
    For the next little while, yes. So you're right - we will need to work with it which is why after seeing that dark brown on the wall, I thought UH..NO. Dark wall (or wall) and dark floor would just be too much dark.

Hi Printesa!
    Hm, so you are also leaning against a blue colour in the bedroom. Are you thinking of painting entire room blue or just an accent wall?

I'm very new in the home improvement / home projects world. So your advice and suggestions will not go unheeded. I thank you all for your advice :)
  • printesa
    9 years ago
    I was thinking to do two shades of blue,,something richer behind the bed and something lighter everywhere else. The problem I have is that I have furniture in the seating area, which is creams, browns, in different textures.
    It depends on the feeling you want to achieve in the room. Any color can work in the right shade, It also depends on the light you get in the room. You'd be amazed how different a color can look on different walls depending on the light and time of day
  • PRO
    SoCal Contractor
    9 years ago
    I love orange, but you would need to make sure you decorate carefully with it to avoid your room looking like a pumpkin.
  • PRO
    Pamela DeCuir Interior Designs
    9 years ago
    Doing an accent wall could work - just darken the shade that you are going to do on the rest of the walls.
    tobeaglegal thanked Pamela DeCuir Interior Designs
  • dooders1981
    9 years ago
    Here is a good tip. Keep the walls simple, soft color, all 4 the same color and do your fun stuff with pops of color, pattern, textures in your throw pillows, art, accents. Much easier to change bed dings, pillows etc than repaint and simple color is restful.
    tobeaglegal thanked dooders1981
  • PRO
    Sandy G. ltd.
    9 years ago
    To begin, you need to find a rug or some artwork that you like. Tell us what style your furniture is and post more pics that show where doors and windows are.

Orange is a lovely color and is "advancing" on a wall, meaning it is an active color. If you are looking for a "sanctuary" feeling in your bedroom, you could use softer colors in the orange family, like a melon or a coral. Look for artwork or a rug that has these colors in it to some degree. If there is a chocolate in these 2 things, so much the better. It will pull in your flooring. Other wall colors would be found after the rug/art are found. It all ties together through palette and style.

Since your are a self-proclaimed rookie, keep it simple and do not try to get too tricky. Use this as a learning experience and you will find out a lot about the things you like and how to incorporate them into future spaces.

As you can see, there is so much help here! It's a good thing!
    tobeaglegal thanked Sandy G. ltd.
  • Natalie
    9 years ago
    Hi---going off of your paint samples, I think a richer wall color paired with a wallpaper (one wall-behind bed or side wall), and warm gold/russet/cinnabar accents. Pics for inspiration. Good Luck!
    [houzz=
    David Howell Design · More Info
    ][houzz=
    Luz · More Info
    ][houzz=[houzz=
    While at CHil Design Group · More Info
    ]]
    tobeaglegal thanked Natalie
  • bgfuqua
    9 years ago
    do you have anything coming to the space? paint is not where you start. select furniture and bedding first, then art and rug, then paint.
    tobeaglegal thanked bgfuqua
  • tobeaglegal
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    Hi all!
    I appreciate everyone's feedback! This is great! And you are right, Sandy G., this is a great place for help!

we went back last night again to stare at the walls and think of colours. LOL. Didn't really come up with much. I'm liking the suggestions of keeping it simple, using a rug or art as a place to start, or just using pillows, sheets, etc to have a pop of colour and keep wall colour simple/neutral. Things I would never think of to be honest!

My partner seems to like a terracotta accent wall for master bedroom and now come to think of it, should have taken more pics of the place so you call can get a better feel of what we are working with. I don't mind terracotta at all, I think its a lovely colour - I just need to know how to work with it and decorate it!

We do have some things coming into the place that I'm afraid will clash. Or not. We have these dark coloured Pier 1 night tables and matching dresser that's coming ( come to think of it, its dark like flooring). We need a new bed as we've been sleeping on a futon for past year and we're ditching it as its in rough shape and needs to go. So new bed, new bedding and it seems like we'll be getting new pieces for each room.

Our sofas are like a dark grey colour. Pretty neutral colour, right? What colours DON'T go with dark grey? I also have a wooden dining room table that my parents gave me a few years back that I'm quite emotionally attached to for that reason but I think it will look out of place.

Ok so I found photos we got when we first were looking at this place. These are photos of it staged, but at least you can see what the space is like, etc.

Thanks again for everyone's suggestions/advice/tips - this is awesome! :)
  • printesa
    9 years ago
    If terracotta is what you are going for, this ideabook might be of help to you https://www.houzz.com/magazine/color-guide-how-to-work-with-red-ocher-stsetivw-vs~4273061
  • PRO
    Sandy G. ltd.
    9 years ago
    What a great resource, printesa! This end of the reds spectrum is so much fun and use in rooms to varying degrees. Walls in one room and accessories in another.

All you and your partner need to do is find that inspiration piece and you can get on with your décor!
  • tobeaglegal
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    You guys are all awesome. I appreciate all the feed back I'm getting!
    So we went back to house last night. And how does a red accent wall sound in living room? :| At first I was all for it but now after having slept on it, not sure... lol! Definitely doing Terracotta in master bedroom and Printesa, thanks so much for sending Ideabook to me! Helps big time! I like the dove grey with it!

In spare room, we're thinking of doing a peacock blue type colour - accent wall. Not sure what neutral colour goes with that... but ... I'll see if there is an Ideabook for it!

And Sandy G. you are right! I need to find that inspiration piece so I can finally make a decision here!

Thanks again everyone!
  • printesa
    9 years ago
    Glad to hear that we were of some help. It's difficult to commit to a color:) I've been there, too. Now it's time to change and I can't commit to another color,,not yet:)
  • jam79
    9 years ago
    My two cents after over-decorating my bedroom in two different houses is UNDER-do it when it's your own room. I've ended up with striking bedrooms that would look great in a magazine, but ended up being too dark or too intense for me to relax and feel peaceful. Keep your wall color light, especially given the dark floor you are working with. If you want color, bring it in using the bedding, pillows, art work. Then it will be less permanent than wall color and easy to change if you decide you want something different.

Also, and again, I'm speaking from experience, layer your window coverings. I love my room dark at night but found that with the room too dark and coverings that were too dark that I felt like I was in a little hole in my room. Just last week I bought a cream colored, light curtain for overtop of my shutters and I love the ability to close the shutters when I want it dark, or use the curtain for a soft, more peaceful light.

Good luck!
  • PRO
    Sandy G. ltd.
    9 years ago
    Ok, you said above that you are "clueless" so let's start from square one with a little planning. I checked out your profile and found a darling dog and 3 photos of something.
    Really not enough info. there.
    So . . . .
    Grab your laptop, your partner, some popcorn and/or some spirits, and go to Houzz.com and other interior design sites. Look at as many rooms as you can before your eyes get exhausted, finding what you guys like and do not like. Jot the ideas down, learn some design terms in the process and then post your list and pics for us to see.- This would be so helpful for this whole communications thing back and forth.

You don't have to make it a dissertation, but some idea of where you are going would be great. What pieces do you have already - furniture, art, lamps, etc.?

Just a little word of caution here. You obviously love bold colors and this is a good thing. But there are sensible ways go about using big colors...... A home full of different boldly-colored walls can be done but is a challenge!

Trust me here, you can pull together a colorful, fun home with a little patience and thought.
  • rrjeffer
    9 years ago
    Hi. If you want a really nice paint color that is wonderful and somewhat changes depending on your lighting look at a color called Pegasus from PPG. It's soft, yet has grey blueish tints and goes with everything..
  • tobeaglegal
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Jam79: thanks for your comment! I was thinking as well the dark floors we have to work with. And that's why I'm kinda hesitant on these bold colours only because of dark floors. Last thing I want to end up in is some dark, small-feeling room. I want something bright and just make the place come to life! :)
    You had some great suggestions!

Sandy G: Aw... that darling my dog is Jacob. Who passed away a month ago :( so its bittersweet this move into a new place as he will not be present
    Anyways, before I start getting sadder - that sounds like a great plan for us to just have some spirits and go through the Houzz site for ideas... here's the kicker: Nick wants to do this like asap. I don't know why. He is one of those people who once they get an idea or something they want to do in their head, its got to be done like now or asap... :S
    The only art pieces we are bringing are some vintage ad prints, a couple of tiles we got from the UK in Feb, a small tile from Italy we got this June and a painting we got from Nicaragua last October... so yeah I guess I have something to work with! I'll take pics although the vintage ads everyone has seen them, its those Vermouth ones? But I''ll take pics of the others I mentioned.

Not much in way of furniture or even lamps. I have one drab lamp that I got a few years ago that we never updated to something more colourful or anything. And aside from a couple of pine tables... that's it. Oh and a grey sofa and loveseat.

But you're right: PATIENCE and THOUGHT IS KEY!! :)
  • PRO
    Sandy G. ltd.
    9 years ago
    Looking forward to your pic posts. . .

So sorry about Jacob, but it is a part of life, I guess.
  • printesa
    9 years ago
    Patience indeed is needed:) We've been in our house for almost 8 years and it's not done..still need window treatments and finishing a few more things. You realize in time what you need and what you want and I think it's better to wait a little. I like color as well and I also like to get things that I like, even if that means a slow purchase. Here is a photo of the family room (ignore the Christmas tree:)) The walls are yellow, the sectional is a textured tweed orange color and the armchair. is yellow.I know people are scared to get big pieces of furniture that are colorful, but it can look neutral if you want. I also brought the yellow and orange in the breakfast area, which is right next to the family room. This is just to give you an idea
  • PRO
    Sandy G. ltd.
    9 years ago
    Beautiful spaces printesa!
  • printesa
    9 years ago
    Thank you Sandy! I'm slowly getting the rooms done,,very slow:)
  • tobeaglegal
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Hi Printesa
    That is a nice space! I like rug and your furniture especially your dining room table and chairs!
    I think we have a painter in next week to do the painting - I definitely do like the idea of having colourful furniture, great way to make the space pop! I think we're going with a red accent wall in living room. I think. Is red played out for living room accent wall? I don't like purple and can't think of any other colour to choose. The bedroom accent wall is going to be the terracotta colour. And the spare bedroom I think we're still going with a peacock blue accent wall. I meant to post pics of the art I have that may be a good source to use for colours and it was my niece's bday this weekend and I wasn't around. But I'll do it tonight for sure!
    Printesa: Where did you get that rugt? I love it!!

Thanks everyone!
  • printesa
    9 years ago
    Thank you for your compliments.
    It's been a while since I got the rug,,It is an Indi-B branch rug. Usually, design public or 2modern sells them.
    The table has an anthracite color glass top and the chairs are Johannes Andersen from midcenturyla (older chairs that have been refinished and reupholstered)

As for paint color, it's better to try out on a cardboard the color you are considering and hang it on the wall. This way you can see how it looks in the room at different times of the day.
  • tobeaglegal
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I don't know those stores lol. I assume we don't have them in Canada or Toronto. But I'll start to look around for stuff as we are moving into the house end of this month!

Well, what we did was kinda painted a patch of colour on the walls to see if we like it. Now reading your suggestion, that would have been a much better idea to try it on cardboard and hang it on the wall! Good grief!

I do like the red for an accent wall for living room. I think my concern was is that its not really a soothing colour? Or is it? I guess I can always buy subtle pillows and area rug to tone it down a bit if I find it too much? Ugh. I hate being indecisive! This is why I come to you wonderful people for advice! :)
  • printesa
    9 years ago
    The stores are online stores. I couldn't find anything at my local stores (well,,I could, but they were only having nice ones that were custom...starting at $50 a square foot).
    Red color comes in so many shades that it can be soothing and fun. Here are some examples
    Cool House Tour 2008 · More Info

Contemporary Dining Room · More Info

Atomic Ranch Renovation · More Info

Don't be afraid of color...try it out and if you decide at some point that you don't like it anymore, you can repaint:) I know how tough it is to commit on something. I am the same. I have to analyze every possibility:)
  • PRO
    Sandy G. ltd.
    9 years ago
    tobealegal, I hope you see that getting a rug or a piece of art will make these wall color decisions so much easier.
  • PRO
    Flo de Bretagne
    9 years ago
    I love that color suggested by Printesa. I love reds, candy red, or any bright red. It makes it fun and warm.
    tobeaglegal thanked Flo de Bretagne
  • PRO
    Flo de Bretagne
    9 years ago
    And of course a piece of art that will bring colors by itself. I would go with accent walls and a large painting.
    tobeaglegal thanked Flo de Bretagne
  • tobeaglegal
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    You are and have been such a wonderful help! Printesa, thanks so much for those ideabooks! That helps big time! I will browse through them tonight at home (still at work :)) Sandy G - you're right, I can see looking at the photos above how the red comes nicely together with a nice rug and/or art. Flo, I'm glad to read that you consider red a warm colour. That makes me feel better about making the decision on having a red accent wall. This is awesome!
    We're probably going to have painter within the next two weeks to do this and once they do I will post photos of it done!
    You're all awesome. thanks so much for all your help and advice.
  • printesa
    9 years ago
    Have fun and take your time!:)
  • tobeaglegal
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Hi all!
    Update! Here is the house painted - tell me what you think!
    Thanks!
    Tania
  • printesa
    9 years ago
    It looks beautiful. It's interesting to see how the red looks different from different angles
  • PRO
    Sandy G. ltd.
    9 years ago
    This is going to be a vibrant home - reflecting your personalities! So, what's next?
  • PRO
    "Un air de Paris" PHOTO FOR WALL
    9 years ago
    Beautiful red color, j'adore !! Tell me if you want some help for decorate the kitchen wall with photos i show you one idea of my work in color with vegetables for keep color spirit, but i can show you other things, if you want !

You can check out my work at : http://www.photoforwall.com
  • Natalie
    9 years ago
    Hi---colors are nice-a bit deep, as your home looks quite dark. Perhaps different/additional lighting should be considered. Good Luck!
    tobeaglegal thanked Natalie
  • tobeaglegal
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Hi printesa!
    Thank you! It turned better than I imagined and am happy with it. The next question is how to furnish it! We got some gift cards for HomeSense that we'd like to put to good use as we are on a budget.
    Hi Sandy G! Oh yes vibrant is right! We both strong, out there personalities and these colors reflect that perfectly! Well... That's exactly it! I guess furnishing it? No clue where to start. I should mention we do have sofas. But they're like a grey color :/ maybe buy pillows to match/compliment wall color?
    Hi Natalie! You made a good point and didn't quite think of that. Or maybe I did - my minds been a scramble recently. I definitely think you're right re lighting. What kind of lighting do you think would work?
    Hi "un air de Paris"! Wow! Love how you did that! Thank you! Definitely something to think about re art work and I've not yet had a chance to think about it... But you're idea looks great :)

Everyone: as always, your suggestions/advice/opinions are greatly appreciated... I don't think I could have done all this without your help :)
    Tania
  • PRO
    Sandy G. ltd.
    9 years ago
    Next should be a shopping spree for a rug and/or artwork before you spend money on pillows. Work from large to small. Since you have your sofa[s], and your walls painted, it is time to find other large items or, maybe you could post some pix of the art you already have!
  • printesa
    9 years ago
    Sandy is right, a rug would be next step. You have a neutral sofa from what you say so that won't be a problem. Maybe a rug that has gray and reds in it, but also something lighter
  • tobeaglegal
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Sandy and Printesa! Sounds good! I will definitely your advise and get a rug first! You guys are awesome! Sandy, I'll try and get pics tonight when I go buy to move some more stuff over, but basically my kind of art is vintage ads - either for food/drink or travel. I have a few right now that will look good I think against the red accent wall. But I will take a pic! Thanks :)
  • PRO
    Sandy G. ltd.
    9 years ago
    Good deal!
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    9 years ago
    What style is FURN? What are you looking for in this rm.? Hard for us to see true color on computers. But, I would suggest the cool colors. Or soft grays. Nothing bold, or to bright is best for bedrooms. Then match your bedding to wall color. Trim is best done in White.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    9 years ago
    Do not do accent walls. Very dated. Instead use different shades of same color, if room is small, use only one color. Study it in all light. Don't buy from a chip, always put color on your walls.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    9 years ago
    Pick wall color first then decide on accessories, like rugs, bedding. You work from wall color, not the other way.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    9 years ago
    Red is a dated look. No accent walls. Stay with one color your room size are small.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    9 years ago
    Sorry didn't read all post or yours till after I posted. The room looks nice. If you like it. That's what counts.