Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lisabaney

Search for a certain type of pendant -- so close, but can't find!

lisabaney
9 years ago
I have a country kitchen, the look of which I'd like to keep light (has many dark, heavy -- as well as new lighter -- elements and too many "focal points" as well). I fell in love with a pair of simple but gorgeous pendants by Hubberton Forge (the small business that hand-makes lighting in a small village in Vermont), for over new kitchen island but alas: its minimum height --aka minimum drop-- is too long, which had me glum for two days. I am even trying to see if our local lighting shop can alter it somehow, but I thought fellow Houzzers and lighting experts out there, might know of something similar!

I include a photo of the beautiful Hubberton pendant -- a rippled hand blown glass bowl (suspended by forged black rods and links) -- glass which is just warbled enough to partly obscure the inevitable bugs or dust than can appear in a moment's time, but also has a wonderful light and jeweled feeling -- not interrupting the gaze into the nearby family room and kitchen areas, nor complicating the already busy nature of the room. Embarrassingly, I have bought 4 sets of pendants (the island looks best with two) and returned them, and this looked perfect! Dang!

Ok, on the Hubberton model (121026) the vertical drop, including an obligatory 2 links of chain (according to the technical department of the company) and the canopy itself, is a minimum of 37 inches, which would hang too low from our 105" (8 foot, nine inch) white-painted tin ceiling... And even tho it would be above the large new island (94x50"), my 6' 4" is not only sensitive to light directly in his eyes, but the farm sink center of our island looks across to the open areas of the house, and I am trying to be aware of his vantage point. Finally, with such a long minimum drop, and 36" island counter height, it would only hang 32" above the counter, which with a taller husband, and a rather large pair of pendants, I believe is not fitting.

I'd rather not send photos of the room itself, as I know how Houzzers often generously contribute many insights and broad input about the space and alternatives -- candidly put -- but I am on deadline to select this particular lighting in next few days, and believe I know the look I want... (I am exhaustedly at the tail of a long partial kitchen reno, with a bare lightbulb hanging over our new kitchen island.)

So if I may, I am just attaching a photo of the piece of love. Priorities are: like jewelry, buoyant, glimmering, simple, a bit forgiving for "bugs and dust" with both a hand-blown-look glass, and with some dark metal work (as the other lighting in our adjacent areas have) -- but not so heavy a metal presence as to bog down the space...

As you see, the vertical "rods" above the glass bowl are too long! :( Do you know of anything like this? I have searched so many sites -- and can also show you my closest options -- but they either don't have a dark/iron type finish for their metal work or are very modern glass! Help!!

Comments (8)