Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
melissa_soult

Help I need some ideas for my very small and ugly kitchen. I am on a t

Melissa Soult
9 years ago
I want to keep my appliances but need ideas for cabinets and the floor to make my kitchen more appealing to the eyes.

Comments (27)

• Maureen
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    Your cupboards should be painted for sure and new larger hardware added (if you want to spend the money)...just doing that will change your kitchen tremendously. I would suggest white so that your appliances blend in. Walls could be painted, but hold off until you decide if you are adding a backsplash and then coordinate with tiles and flooring (I would just leave the flooring if in good shape). If there is a valance over the top of the window, I would remove and add a nice roman shade. You could replace the corner cabinet door with glass, which wil break up all the cabinets a bit and add a hanging light fixture over the table - it all depends on how much you want to spend.
    [houzz=
    Los Angeles Farmhouse Kitchen renovation · More Info
    ]
  • Melissa Soult
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    The sink is beside the refrigerator and I was also thinking of backsplash
  • PRO
    Stone Harbor Hardware
    9 years ago
    I like Maureen's idea of painting the cabinets and adding new hardware. You'll get a lot of bang for your buck that way. Good luck!
  • Melissa Soult
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Wow! What a difference. How did you do that?
  • groveraxle
    9 years ago
    I sneaked in and painted while you were out shopping. Did you bring me any cookies?
  • asquithoatley
    9 years ago
    Wow grover that looks great! - really makes the pumpkin pop! ;-)
    Seriously the painted cabinets look great!
  • Melissa Soult
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I can't turn the table. It will block the door to the wash room. I have thought of possibly getting rid of the table for a smaller one or making a small kitchen island.
  • PRO
    User
    9 years ago
    I would suggest a round table, it will help with the flow of the room. I would also change the flooring. Based on your budget and your style, there are myriad of options. You could be playful and use a fun vinyl or marmoleum tiles with a bit of colour. Or you could use LVP (luxury vinyl planks) that look like hardwood, or go to cork, or tile. Then the backsplash can be the jewelry on top.
  • Katy Richard
    9 years ago
    Paint cabinets white, I love Benjamin Moore Simply White. And contemporary nickel finish hardware.
  • onetwothre
    9 years ago
    I'd love to see you use that table as an island if it would fit. Try turning it the other direction and center it in the room. If there is space, put two chairs on the wall side. Remove the other 3 chairs.
  • PRO
    Cabinets To Go
    9 years ago
    Hi Melissa! White cabinets, similar to our B.Jorgsen & Co. Victoria Ivory, would brighten up your space instantly! Definitely add a backsplash as well. With all of the styles, textures, and color options you have, you can completely change the look of your kitchen. Best of luck!
  • Melissa Soult
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Look what I found while searching for light blue backsplash tile. This kitchen is as small as mine and the layout is the same.
  • jonathan3
    9 years ago
    Your kitchen does not appeal to you, but it is not ugly. Paint will make the biggest difference for the least amount of money. Only paint if you think you can get a nice smooth finish. Home improvement stores have lots of free advice about products to get the finish you want. Find a kitchen with the paint colors that appeal to you before you start your project.
  • gwwolflake
    9 years ago
    i agree with Maureen and groveraxle in lightening up the bulk of the cabinets, but then it runs the risk of feeling too sterile especially since the cabinets are very simple.
    most of the pics offered show a much larger space, so i think you should focus on the work area and blend the rest into the walls... white (BM's cloud white?) is always a winner.
    personally, i'd darken the cabinets that sit under the countertop to maybe a rich walnut stain and then stain your chairs the same colour (or a similar colour paint.)
    i'd also lose the 5th chair and add a towel bar to the end of the table to rid yourself of the 'skirty' oven front and get the towels handier by the sink.
    new hardware would work but i'd just change those on the walnut stained area to a very simple bronze or brushed stainless finish.
    keep the window unadorned as it risks becoming too busy and it looks like you could use all the light you can get.
    add some inexpensive LED under-cabinet lights over the countertop area (IKEA!) and voila... rich and funky, cheap and cheerful!
  • chelseychristensen
    9 years ago
    Have you ever checked out the blog "Little Green Notebook"? She had some cabinets that were similar to this and re-did them to have a shaker style look. They were beautiful and I think you could totally do it in your kitchen. http://littlegreennotebook.blogspot.com/2012/10/diy-shaker-style-cabinet-doors.html
  • backsplashideas
    9 years ago
    A kitchen backsplash may be something you would like to install once you decide on paint and cabinets. Shown here is the 18''x24'' Lotus panel in Brushed Nickel.
  • brdnrd
    9 years ago
    Painting the cupboards white would make a dramatic difference in the kitchen. However, I notice a really lovely grey color in the flooring that might make another great color choice. Wish i knew how groveraxle painted your cupboards. It would be fun to give some other colors a try. Maybe a couple pretty blue hanging pendant lights for the table? Just a thought.
  • Vivek Dohare
    9 years ago
    give me you r no plz
  • Melissa Soult
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Can someone that knows how to make the cabinets white do it for me? I want to see what it looks like with the new floor, island and appliances before I paint them
  • PRO
    Anthony Perez
    5 years ago

agree with Maureen on the white cabinets, also if you change the floor, do it a light shade and change hardware. I also agree with light blue backsplash If you add undercabinet lights and address the counter you will see a big difference

• silviakunst
    5 years ago
    You can paint it , it's easy ! And for the future , when you can , change the floor .
  • groveraxle
    5 years ago

Painted approximately the color of your door casing:

• Tammy Baker
    5 years ago

That look great! Get a great blind for window, small interesting sink rug, not a fan of stuff on island, I would change that out! But very good updates on a budget.

• housegal200
    5 years ago

White is classic, though do make sure the white you choose plays well with your warm dining table and the floor. Then there are colors that go well with black countertops, just in case you want something a little different. (Careful which yellow if you go that route--hardest of all colors to get right.)

Farmhouse Kitchen · More Info

High Park Home · More Info

Creamy white

Quaint painted kitchen with open shelving · More Info

• Bri Bosh
    5 years ago
    Beware that if you are DIYing these cabinets, they will require a significant amount of sanding and prep to look good. Otherwise you’ll be looking at painted play wood with a strong grain pattern. Hire an expert or consult with one before moving forward.
  • Melissa Soult
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    We just changed to this floor. The picture shows it darker than what it is. It has grey and blue that matches the wall. Should we change it out again?