Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
echolsughter

New Boston Condo with Tangerine Tango kitchen cabinets, Looking for Bar stool and Backsplash help

Chris
11 years ago
last modified: 11 years ago
I'm about to move into my first place!
I don't currently own any furniture, so I have the "opportunity" to furnish the place from the ground up.

My condo came with Tangerine Tango coloured cabinets which are fun, but making it a little tricky to match furniture with.

Do you have any suggestions for 2 bar stools that I could use at the counter?
I'm hoping for a modern look yet comfortable furniture.

Also, I've also been told it's a good idea to have a backslash in the kitchen to protect the walls.
Any recommendations that would work with the existing Tangerine Tango cabinets, White Quartz counter tops and Bamboo Floors?

PS. I've been thinking about getting motorized blind for the top windows (9 feet tall, about 3.5 feet wide).
If you have any experience with motorized blinds I'd love to hear what brand you used.
I've been googling about them and the choices are overwhelming.

Comments (68)

• PRO
    karen paul interiors
    11 years ago
    You asked if the black and orange would feel like Halloween. If the stairs bother you with the tangerine, then I would say yes. However, I doubt that is the case. Also, whenever you are plotting out your distribution of color, always think in terms of creating a triangle in that color. You have black stairs, black in the kitchen and now on the end of your triangle, you will have the black bar stools.
  • feeny
    11 years ago
    I also think that the addition of whites and especially charcoal and lighter grays into the mix of tangerine and black will mitigate any halloween effect.
  • PRO
    karen paul interiors
    11 years ago
    I agree feeny. In fact you might even circle back to the kitchen and possibly think in terms of a gray blackspash with a good textural quality to it. Porcelanosa has some fabulous materials to explore.
  • Karen Heffernan
    11 years ago
    Hi there! Gorgeous!! LOVE the tangerine - what a happy color! I have the precision stools from dwr - they'd look great in your kitchen, and come either with back or without. They're really sturdy (originally designed for hospitals).
    http://www.dwr.com/product/precision-stool.do?sortby=ourPicks&page=3
    And if you don't have it already, you MUST get the KitchenAid stand mixer in Tangerine
    http://www.target.com/p/KitchenAid-Artisan-5-qt-Stand-Mixer-Tangerine-KSM150PSTG/-/A-10194699
    you can also get just the hand mixer if you don't really need a stand mixer.
    and if you go to www.surlatable.com and just search "orange" you'll have a TON of fun orange accessories to choose from.
  • Chris
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    What great tips! Thank you all so much.

After work I took a break from barstool searching and went sofa shopping.
    I and saw some really fun ones, also made sure to look for grey fabrics!
    :)

Still not sure of a sectional or a regular sofa is better, but that might be a discussion for another time haha.

@ Karen H: that mixer looks like it would be a really good fit with the kitchen.
    Sadly idk what I would do with a mixer though. I'm a typicle batchelor just starting to get a little adventurous with cooking.
  • Karen Heffernan
    11 years ago
    I think of mine as sculpture : )
  • PRO
    Susan Mills Design
    11 years ago
    Oh Chris you might like www.tastespotting.com to get inspiration on what to do in that juicy kitchen!
  • Chris
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    hahah An expensive yet functional sculpture!
    Susan, I just gave that website a quick glance.... now I'm starving :P

Also any thoughts on this couch style / colour?
    It has adjustable headrests and arm rests (go from flat to vertical) which is fun.
    It's about $2,300 which seems to be an avg price for the sofas / sectionals I've been looking at. I never knew furniture was so expensive!!!!

(The blue tape area in the photo is 108" long, where as the sectional in the picture is roughly 120")
  • PRO
    Susan Mills Design
    11 years ago
    Hi Chris, this is such a fun project, and I see you have a good sense of humor too. When I am working with a client I really like to see their personality expressed in their home. Think about what makes you happy, the feeling you want to convey in your personal space, for yourself and for when you entertain. How about finding that perfect piece of art that gives you joy and then knowing you are working with tangerine and black and some white, take your cue from the art for shapes, other colours and how you can bring the humour. I would also advise you to take the intensity of the tangerine into consideration, for example the sofa above is a bit too pale in colour to work with that tangerine. I would go with a charcoal colour as this is such a big space and it would ground the space and also have the correct intensity for the tangerine in the next room. I like the shape of the sofa you chose, is it comfy? Did you find out what the frame is? Kiln dried hardwood or? How is the cushioning made? Do some googling about how furniture is made before making any big purchases.

Can you give us a floor plan so we could advise you better as to placement or sizes.

cheers

Susan
  • jenna136
    11 years ago
    Hi,
    It seems to me that the color of that couch is a bit too similar to the wall color. I like the idea that Susan posted, with a darker grey, but I don't think you'll want blue undertones in it (with your orange kitchen and beigy walls).
    Also, remember that your couch doesn't have to be right up against the wall! Sometimes it's nicer in the middle, with a console table behind it, depending upon the size of the room.

And I just noticed the Boston in your title! Beantown, represent!
  • PRO
    Susan Mills Design
    11 years ago
    Thanks jenna, on my screen didn't see blue but good point. Here is a good example of the charcoal you need!
  • PRO
    Charmean Neithart Interiors
    11 years ago
    HI Chris. I like the sectional you picked out, it looks comfortable. Also. agree with others that it is very close to the wall color and it is usually better to contrast pieces. Consider starting with a rug. I like to start a room with a rug because it has an established palette, then you can build your room off that palette. A floorplan would help or at least dimensions of the room. It looks like a great space with great sunlight.
  • Chris
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Ah you ladies are amazing! I blame my lack of colour coordination on the fact that I'm colorblind.
    :P but I think even if I wasn't my sense of what should and shouldn't go together still wouldn't be all that great, (I'll show you a pic of how I dress sometime).
    ----------------------
    I attached the dimensions given to me for the condo and I also included a version I quickly made when trying to plot out space (it is probably a little off).

Here is an album with lots of photos of the place and larger pictures of the dimensions.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    http://imgur.com/a/bXXot#0
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- One of the things I've been going back and forth with is if I want a sectional, do I want the chaise on the right or left.

If it was on the left, it would be a nice divider between the bar stools / kitchen and the livingroom. Also when you walk through the front door the place immediate space would feel a little more open.

On the other hand if it was on the right, then it would make the livingroom / barstool area look larger. Though it might block the window a little bit?

Lots of things to think about!!
  • elcieg
    11 years ago
    WHERE IN BOSTON? SOUTH END, SOMERVILLE, DORCHESTER? I HAVE NEVER SEEN A BUILDING LIKE THIS. COOL AS IT IS, DON'T DECORATE AROUND TANGERINE IN BOSTON.
  • Karen Heffernan
    11 years ago
    If you're doing a sectional, I think I would do the chaise on the window end of the room for a nice flow when entering the room. Also, you can lounge on it and look out the window!

PS, I'm in the Boston burbs - woot woot
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    Hi Chris. After reviewing your floorplan, here is how I feel about that front room. It's a good size room, but open to the front door/entry. I generally like the feel of a defined space for an entry. When there isn't one, there are a few ways to create one. I think the sectional is better with the chaise on the left, looking at the sectional...this is actually called left-arm facing. So, just to be clear the chaise would be closer to the front door. Take a look at this picture...
    Port Washington Residence · More Info

See how this simple placement of the shelf along the arm of the chaise creates a division? I think in this case it would be nice to create the illusion of an entry with such a piece. It could even be something decorative, ceiling to floor. Like this...
    Martin residence · More Info

This looks sleek and takes up less room than a shelf. It would provide a little bit of privacy from that front window should you opt to keep those open or without window treatments. Either way, I like the sectional style you chose. Hope that helps. Charmean
  • Chris
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Hm Karen and Charmean - good call on the left-arm facing chaise / sectional.
    I've just started looking at different space dividing options and stumbled across this.

Kind of fun looking "bee hives" - 2 of them might act as a nice divider between the living room and barstool / kitchen area.
    http://www.cb2.com/storage/furniture/hive-white-storage-unit/f6211
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    Yes! Now you've got the hang of it. Love it!
  • PRO
    Susan Mills Design
    11 years ago
    Hey Chris lookin good!
  • Karen Heffernan
    11 years ago
    if you like hexagons, have you checked out Room 68 in Jamaica Plain? A local artisan makes these and they're great - cluster of three costs $225, and you can get drawers too
    http://www.room68online.com/collections/storage/products/hexy-wall
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    Karen, that is awesome! Nice one. Only available in Boston?
  • Karen Heffernan
    11 years ago
    Room 68 is the only "real life" store currently selling it that I know of (the store sells the work of emerging artists), but you can buy online.
  • Chris
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thanks Karen, that's a really cool website! I'll have to go check out the store in person. It's awesome to have a local store like that.
  • montanagal
    11 years ago
    Hey Chris, I don't know if anyone else mentioned these stools but they were the first ones that came to my mind. Forgive me if it's redundant!
    Vapor Bar Stool | CB2 · More Info

I love your space and I'm sure it will come together famously!
  • PRO
    Room 68
    11 years ago
    Hi Chris,

This is Nick, of Room 68 ( http://www.room68online.com/ ) in Boston. You should absolutely check our store out in Jamaica Plain. We can help you furnish your place. There's no other store like it in Boston, and even around the web.

Good luck and we hope to see you soon. Feel free to email us if you have any questions. info@room68online.com

Your place is gorgeous.
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    Hey Nick, is Jamaica Plain close to Dover?
  • Chris
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    @ Charmean - If you mean Dover, MA then it's about 30 min away.

@ Nick - Thank you for the comment. I most definitely will stop by to check out the store!
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    Great, visiting a friend who lives in Dover this summer. See you then.
  • PRO
    Room 68
    11 years ago
    Charmean! We look forward to seeing you this summer!
  • Chris
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Final walk-through in 30 min !

And I have an appointment with someone at a Hunter Douglas blinds shop this weekend. Hopefully they can work out a good motorized blinds system for my top windows.

(And Susan, I'm still researching the SheerWeave motorized blinds you mentioned).

• PRO
    Susan Mills Design
    11 years ago
    Chris good to research, there are so many types of window coverings available. So many factors to take into consideration when choosing. A good window covering expert will assist you to find the best for you. Sun control, privacy, insulating qualities, how dark you need it to sleep, ease of control, installation concerns and of course cost. Hunter Douglas is at the top end of the scale and there are many other manufacturers who do similar products.

cheers

Susan
  • Karen Heffernan
    11 years ago
    Chris, how was the walk-through?
  • Chris
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Hi Karen, it went really well - thank you for asking!
    Everything that needed fixing was fixed (small cosmetic things really) sans two lightbulds that were dead. Thankfully that's an easy thing to remedy :)

It felt really good seeing the place all cleaned up.
    I got really excited, closing is in just a few days now!!

I also happened to see one of my neighbors a few units over was home, so I went and introduced myself.
    I think he got a llittle nervous when he saw me at the door, probably thinking, "who is this kid and what's he trying to sell me!". Hahah
    Very kind and well dressed older gentleman, looked like this was his retirement home.
    He's lived there since 2008 (was the 3rd person to move into the building). He was kind enough to invite me in to have a look around his unit.
    Our styles are different, but it was still nice to see what he had done with his place.
    His unit is a carbon copy of mine, though he has white cabinets with black countertops). I told him once I close I'll have to stop back again and get some more details like where he got his blinds etc.

Can't wait till I get the keys in a few days and I can start getting the furniture in place
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    Great Chris, keep us posted.
  • PRO
    Susan Mills Design
    11 years ago
    That's good news Chris, so nice to see you move through this project, you'll be a pro soon!
  • Karen Heffernan
    11 years ago
    Very exciting Chris - congrats! Be sure to keep us posted and post pictures as you go!
  • Chris
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Closed on Monday - All went well. Lots and lots of paperwork to sign haha.

Got my keys and started moving my old Dorm furniture into the place while I continue searching for new furniture.

I brought one 1 old floor light.
    1 futon partly held together with duct tape
    and a 'coffee' table that's seen better days haha.

I also stopped by the local Crate and Barrel to pick up a small rug 5' x 8', so I don't scratch up the floor.
    I think the rug is going to be a little small, especially if I get a sectional that's larger than 98".
    Though does the rug have to go from one side of the sectional to the other in terms of length?

While I was getting the rug I figured, might as well pick up two 30" bar stools to see how they'd look.
    I kind of like them to be honest. Though 30" is to tall when I sit in it, so the other option is 1) get the 24" version or 2) go with a different bar stool all together.

I'm not sure how I feel about the rug or bar stools yet to be honest.
    Luckily both have 30 day return policies, so no rush!

And on Saturday I have an appointment with some people to look at different window treatment options. So things are starting to come together.

It looks like the sectional might be the last bit of furniture I end up buying in this process.
  • jenna136
    11 years ago
    I like those bar stools! The metal is a good choice :) 24 inches may end up being too small, but if you could return them, couldn't hurt to try!
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    Most barstools are 30", counter stools are usually 24". The rug is fun, but too small. If you get a rug that is too small for the space it makes the room look smaller. Nice choice on the pattern, but try for a larger one. I like sofas to be on the rug, it anchors the furniture and protects the floors. Try www.rugstudio.com, they will deliver to your door and returning is not a problem.
  • jenna136
    11 years ago
    and congrats by the way! I've been looking myself (will also have lots of dorm furniture to move in...) in the north-of-Boston area...no luck yet. It's been brutal!

About the rug - I'd say that if you don't love it, don't keep it! Personally, I'm not a huge fan of it, but if you love it, then it should stay
  • jenna136
    11 years ago
    Just thought of something...there's a site thefoundary.com that frequently offers rugs in the style you seem to be leaning towards. They change offerings daily, meaning you'd have to check frequently, but it might have what you want.
  • Chris
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Jenna: Are you looking at Northend, or further up like Charlestown area?
    If you can live with having a small little condo like mine East Cambridge has some good deals.
    and as for the rug, I'm pretty sure I don't love it haha. More of a spur of the moment "this might help protect the floor" type decision.... and it was on sale so factored in haha.
    That website looks really fun!
    Thank you

Charmean: I didn't even know there were "counter stools". I've just been calling them mini barstools. :P
    Thanks for that link, I'll check it out and see if I can find something larger from them!
  • jenna136
    11 years ago
    I'm looking for something more suburban, partway between Boston and NH. Actually, the Somerville/Cambridge area would be ideal (went to school in the area, so that's where friends are), but with my student loans, I can't afford even that yet
  • Karen Heffernan
    11 years ago
    Hey Chris! How does t feel to be moved in? Just wanted to mention that the barstools that I mentioned earlier in this thread, are height-adjustable, so are a good option. I'm sure there are others as well. DWR has a store in Boston too if you want to check them out. We have 5 stools, and they are almost always all different heights : )
  • elcieg
    11 years ago
    YEAH, SOMERVILLE. MY DAUGHTER LIVES IN UNION SQ AREA. GREAT LOCATION AS SHE CAN GET TO THE T AT LECHMERE, RUN THE CHARLES RIVER AND IN AND AROUND MIT. SOMERVILLE IS GETTING SO EXPENSIVE NO THAT THE T IS GOING RIGHT THROUGH IT TO MEDFORD. GOOD LUCK.
  • jenna136
    11 years ago
    hey, not sure if you ended up finding bar stools or not, but that site I mentioned earlier was offering a ton of modern options today I thought you might be interested in: http://www.thefoundary.com/invite/jennadargie
  • shadowstep
    9 years ago
    i'd totally go with a shimmery white (mother of pearl style) tile backsplash and navy blue stools! With tangerine accent pillows of course ;) Images as examples attached.
  • imprvpro
    7 years ago

Have you considered clear acrylic, high back, stools with, or with, pillows in your colors of tangerine, charcoal, black or white?

• raineycarole
    7 years ago
    Old post
  • wearpink
    7 years ago

We used blinds.com after much research including DIY. You can preview free samples. We chose: Architectural Blackout Roller Shade

Very happy with it - has a remote control, however we paid an electrician to put in a plug in the ceiling (I'm not changing batteries/recharging with a 10' ladder.) The charging cord is too short. Blinds.com suggested leaving extension cord hanging but we suggested to them to look into producing a longer cord that would reach the wall socket.

We have yet to put up a crown moulding valence to hide the plug.

Motorized shade works perfectly.