Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lindseyaw

Decorating Moroccan/Middle Eastern Living Room AROUND roommate's sofa!

lindseyaw
9 years ago
I recently moved into an apartment, and I'm dying to decorate the living room/dining room. We have big windows overlooking a balcony, and ample space. I have a dark, solid wood dining room table set.

My problem: this sofa. I would love to have the room filled with color-- I'm drawn to shades of pinks, oranges, burgundy, turquoise, blue, green. The walls are currently neutral, but I want to paint them. The couch's paisley print is OK since it is an "eastern" design, but the colors of the couch are so drab-- and I don't want to decorate the room accordingly. My roommate really likes it and doesn't want to get rid of it. Is it possible to dress it up with bright pillows, and treat it as a neutral piece? Since there's green in the couch, does this nix any potential for turquoise or curry yellow? Help!

Comments (11)

• User
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    I can see it;)) rest arrow on pic to enlarge.
    Teal Textured Stripe Throw · More Info
    lindseyaw thanked User
  • PRO
    Lydia (Kazza Design)
    9 years ago
    If you really want an Eastern design, I suggest designing your bedroom instead with the colours and style you love. You can make it much more personal and suited to your taste without having to compromise using someone else's furniture. :)
  • lindseyaw
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Oh my goodness, you are brilliant. Thank you so much for these thoughts! The image you shared is very, very helpful as well. I'm such a visual learner. Where did you find these items online? I can't enlarge the image to see them better. The floor cushion in particular is something I've been wanting to add for a long time now.

Since this is the only piece of furniture we have in the living room (apart from the dining room set), and since it's just a love seat, we definitely need more seating options. What would you look for with other couches? More neutrals? Would floor seating be too "out there"?
  • Geneviève
    9 years ago
    Pull the darkest color from the fabric for paint the walls will need to sent the feeling of the Arabian nights ,thick pillows in rich colours light that filters trough perforated shades , floor pillows near the sofa an coffee table ,think of the show " I dream of Genie " when decorating and you will accomplish what you wish and don't forget the Aladdin lamp you will need one of those to complete .
    Aladdin's Lamp (incense burner) · More Info

Medallion Round Floor Pillow, Yellow · More Info

Punched Tin Moroccan Lantern · More Info

If you like the Gypsy decor then you could also go with that ,that sofa is beautiful and deserves to be showed .
    lindseyaw thanked Geneviève
  • PRO
    Gray & Walter, Ltd.
    9 years ago
    Of course you can. You can also paint the walls in vibrant jewel like hues.
    lindseyaw thanked Gray & Walter, Ltd.
  • lindseyaw
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Which colors would you suggest?
  • Geneviève
    9 years ago
    I don't know about Gray & Walter,Ltd but I would probably go with this one
    Benjamin Moore Raspberry Truffle · More Info

Horchow · More Info

Tierra Del Lagarto · More Info

"Grand Bazaar" Moroccan Woven Tapestry Wall Hanging · More Info
    lindseyaw thanked Geneviève
  • PRO
    Lydia (Kazza Design)
    9 years ago
    Keep the walls neutral. I know it sounds boring but Eastern style isn't always about bright colours. Think of a colourful Bedouin tent (couch) with the Sahara desert as the background (walls). Choose a sandy colour - just make sure it doesn't have any yellow undertones. For some lux, add silk (to reflect some light) or velvet (to add weight) curtains pulling in the green from the couch.
  • PRO
    Lydia (Kazza Design)
    9 years ago
    As for the items in my mock-up, you can find similar ones in many stores including Target (depending on your budget). If you type Moroccan pouf in a search engine, several different sources will show up where you can purchase one or there may be this type of store in your area.
  • PRO
    Lydia (Kazza Design)
    9 years ago
    This chair from World Market would compliment the couch nicely while adding some quirky colours with the tufted buttons. You could definitely add some floor seating!