Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sej103

Entrance hall / staircase wall help needef

sej103
9 years ago
This is the view of the hallway from my front door and I need help finishing the far wall under the stairs. I've placed a mirror under the stairs as far to right as possible to reflect the light from the front door as it is very dark under the stairs and there is only one ceiling light in this space, which is by the front door. Any tips on how to pull this look together would be very much appreciated because I am stuck!

Comments (20)

• decoenthusiaste
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    Can't tell from the photo but I'd suggest you convert your ceiling light to a chandelier or pendant style fixture that is much lower and will light that area. Is there an outlet behind the piano where you can connect lighting there too? Only put a mirror where it will reflect and double something interesting or beautiful.
  • sej103
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Totally agree with your comment about using mirrors only where they reflect something beautiful. There are very few mirrors in my house currently as all they would reflect is messy counter tops or empty ceilings at the moment. The mirror here is the exception, placed to bring life to the dark corner, and it will be repositioned slightly once I have something interesting on the wall opposite to reflect back. Thanks
  • PRO
    flair lighting
    9 years ago
    not sure why you have Christmas lights up n your entry area they have to go. this means there is a plug close by, get a piano lamp, and high light the music as well as give you some hall light. that being said. seems like a tight spot for a piano....any other spot for it? and yes get a new entry light. what ever you have is lighting the top floor not the entry as it should. if not a piano lamp than a tall floor pharmacy style or reading style lamp. the last option would to get a cord and plug wall sconce and a piece of art. they make remote switches that simply plug into the wall or socket and have a remote to turn it off and on if you didnt want to get in the corner every time.
  • groveraxle
    9 years ago
    It's a dead end back there, right? Let it be dark.
  • marilynellis
    9 years ago
    Could you angle the piano instead of against the wall? Also, yes a ceiling light. Yes, get rid of Christmas lights. Perhaps a metallic wallpaper on smaller wall to reflect light. But to be honest, it's an odd space and an odd place for a piano.
  • sej103
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Oh dear! I understand your comments about this not being a good place for a piano. It's tricky for me as there are very few places to put this piano when considering the health of the piano. I have many sloping ceilings and most flat wall spaces are not an option for a variety of reasons. That said, if I did move the piano what could I do with this space? Lighting is an issue regardless as the electrician That came in to look at this hallway lighting strongly recommended not to improve the ceiling lights and just resolve with lamps, unless I want floors pulled up and to create a big mess. The area under the stairs is still open, so the space is a little bigger than it appears from my photo. Cosy and beautiful would be nice!
  • PRO
    flair lighting
    9 years ago
    create an entry way. get a bench and a painting put a small table with a lamp, just keep it simple.
  • sej103
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Ah. I should've included in my original post the photos of the hallway in the other direction, which show the woefully inadequate downstairs pendant light, plus the small entrance porch.
  • sej103
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Ah. I should've included in my original post the photos of the hallway in the other direction, which show the woefully inadequate downstairs pendant light, plus the small entrance porch.
  • PRO
    flair lighting
    9 years ago
    black shade..........no light. see if you can just change the shade out?! but in all honesty...change it to something that more suited to the style you have going...or something sparkly. where are the stairs in conjunction?
  • PRO
    flair lighting
    9 years ago
    i could see a school house glass there too...
  • sej103
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Tricky to get all in one photo, but it's about 6m from front door to piano. I haven't seen a light fitting I like that is small enough/befitting of the space yet, though the schoolhouse brand is intriguing. Thanks!
  • Nancy Walton
    9 years ago
    Storage in any house is always a problem, right? I would find a new home for the piano, and enclose the space to make a coat closet.
  • PRO
    flair lighting
    9 years ago
    clear it all out and just hang some art there. or leave it open and draw the eye up the stairs with art...
  • sej103
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Darn. A fight between a safe healthy piano location and a stylish and practical entrance. I wonder which will win ..... Thanks for all your help. It is much appreciated.
  • decoenthusiaste
    9 years ago
    I find the duplication of similar chests in the porch and entry to be more of a dilemma than the piano niche. I agree with catlady999 about making the porch more of a mudroom.
  • sej103
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Yeah that's been bugging me too! I hadn't really noticed until I took the photo. I'm amazed at what I don't see until I step back and look at photos.
  • PRO
    Aniko Doman - Mural Artist
    9 years ago
    I'm all for a mural on the back wall! (Wrapping the back wall would be great too, as catlady999 suggested) A perfect place to make a "magic hideaway". A mural would also bring in the light/bright colors you're missing there. Could go nature scene (even a custom mural in abstract style, versus photo) such as aspen tree trunks with lots of white/eggshell and soft yellow colors... it could coordinate with the white-washed(?) chest (if you bring it inside).... In a soft white/eggshell/buff/cream surrounding I think the piano would become a focal point of the space rather than an odd object. If you pick the right photo or art in a certain perspective, it would even add depth to that dark corner. ~~ Feel free to contact me if you'd like a custom-size portable mural you can install in there.
  • catlady999
    9 years ago
    Murals by Aniko - can you do a couple of other examples? Maybe a spring garden or a bamboo grove or a beach with sand and water?