Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lucinda17

Empty wall above sideboard in foyer...

Lucinda
9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago
Help! My dad made us this beautiful oak & walnut sideboard, and I finally am able to show it off in the foyer of our new house. But the wall is scaring me. Was thinking a big mirror atop (boring?) or several smaller mirrors (and if so, how to place them?). Also, what to place on sideboard for simple elegant touch(es)? Thank you!

Comments (23)

• Lucinda
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Here's another perspective.
  • studio10001
    9 years ago
    A single mirror could be fine here - and is a more functional choice. Consider a handworked piece to compliment the candlesticks on top. If you prefer the look of more pieces ( your wording suggests as much), a smaller mirror mixed in with other artwork on the wall would look well w your father's beautiful handiwork.
    Lucinda thanked studio10001
  • Lucinda
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thank you. When you say "handworked" what are you thinking of?
  • studio10001
    9 years ago
    Hammered metal, thrown pottery, carved wood.
    Lucinda thanked studio10001
  • Lucinda
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Also, how big should the mirror be?
  • Rina
    9 years ago
    I suggest three pictures, and a low bowl. Beautiful sideboard. Well done that dad.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/38827436/set-of-three-seasons-paintings-spring
    Lucinda thanked Rina
  • lucidos
    9 years ago
    Finding the correct weight and balance can be tricky. You need something else next to the sideboard to do that. It's to small to center. Adding a plant..is kind of boring. I suggest you find something such as a light weight chair or even a coat tree. Then find art that will balance with the second piece and that great cabinet:) From there use the colors in your art to create the surface.
    Lucinda thanked lucidos
  • ooxrayoo
    9 years ago
    no
  • Geneviève
    9 years ago
    Moving the console to the center would look better for the top stay withing the scale of the console nothing that goes over the sides on this one hatetoshop give you the right measurements for it ,you either go with a mirror or art ,the choice is yours.
    Tuxedo Road · More Info
    Lucinda thanked Geneviève
  • Lucinda
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thanks everyone! I cannot put anything to the left or "center" it as the front door would hit it when opened--don't want to dent it! The examples are wonderful and, hatetoshop & Genevieve, yours do help with the proportions. Here is a pic of the door situation...
  • Maureen
    9 years ago
    To help with the table being off centred, just decorate the wall and items on top to fool the eye and create balance. Even adding a shelf to the left is an idea to create more balance. Will make for a personal and unique entry and higlight your table.
    [houzz=
    The Olivers House · More Info
    ]
    Lucinda thanked Maureen
  • Geneviève
    9 years ago
    Oh!!!!! I don't think that flipping would work either , the other side doesn't have enough wall for the console , moving it more to the left will not work because the door will swing open and it the corner of it , so what remains is to work with it the way that it is or replace it with a smaller one that wont be in the way .
  • Lucinda
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    What do you think of this style? It 35" W 36"H which keeps it to the inside of sideboard and almost to lintel of office doorway (to right). Sideboard is 38"W and wall (to office lintel is 44"H.

http://demandware.edgesuite.net/sits_pod20/dw/image/v2/AAID_PRD/on/demandware.static/Sites-pier1_us-Site/Sites-pier1_master/default/v1412954093165/images/2802622/2802622_1.jpg?sw=1500&sh=1500
  • Lucinda
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Maureen, that is a very creative idea. If only I had the confidence/know-how to put it all together. Oh Genevieve! Please please don't tell me I need to change out the piece! :0 It is so nice and I really want to show it off. I do believe, with the right accents, it would look fab...
  • Maureen
    9 years ago
    It really won't be that hard. See location of floating shelve in above picture and add a black framed picture on it or a small mirror. Over the table, add a few more black framed pictures in a various sizes and stagger them. Or an easier way is to run a floating shelf right across and then you can easily experiment with placement. Picture below only gives an idea...larger/higher item on left to balance the wall and smaller above your table. Layer/stagger smaller items. Ask a creative friend to help and bring home a few items so you can experiment with sizes, etc. and return things you don't like.
    [houzz= http://www.houzz.com/photos/12044970/Printworks-contemporary-powder-room-other-metro]
    Lucinda thanked Maureen
  • lucidos
    9 years ago
    You can put something on the left portion of the wall to balance like art work or a tall mirror. A tall mirror would bounce the light into the entry too.
    Lucinda thanked lucidos
  • Lucinda
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    These things are definitely great ideas. I will fiddle around with it. Thank you!
  • Geneviève
    9 years ago
    You can do it lucinda:) as long that you or anyone else hits the corner when you open the door you are good to go and just focus on the wall part. show us the after when you are done . If you like you could add a nice wallpaper behind it too.
    EAST SIDE RESIDENCE · More Info
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    9 years ago
    Center more on wall. Add a floor plant under it. And a tall but 1/2 the size of table wide, picture. Or a sunburst mirror unique. TJMax carries.
    Lucinda thanked Nancy Travisinteriors
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    9 years ago
    On top check TJMax for unique it's just 3. Add color.
    Lucinda thanked Nancy Travisinteriors
  • Lucinda
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Nancy, could u please clarify what u mean by "unique it's just 3..." Something I can find online at TJ Maxx? Thanks!
  • Lucinda
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thanks for the confidence boost, Genevieve! Love the wallpaper, but the wall goes up to 2nd floor. Also thanks Maureen, for extra tips. I will see what I can do.