Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
c7000376

What to do with this fireplace

Christine b
9 years ago
Here is my living room. I've added some complimentary furniture and to be honesty, dislike the fireplace less than I originally did. I paint too so that helped. Should I leave it or rip it down. The gold fireplace cover needs to go but I could paint that black.

Comments (26)

• hayleydaniels
    9 years ago
    I think it adds a lot of personality to the room so would keep it. You might see if you can have a mantle installed if that was something you wanted, but either way, I think it's fine.
  • PRO
    Design Works
    9 years ago
    I agree with you that the gold of the fireplace dates it. However, if you switch that out I do like the texture/pattern that the fireplace surround provides for the room. Can you post more pictures of the rest of the room? It is hard to see how the fireplace relates to the rest of the room and decor.
  • halfpint2
    9 years ago
    I think the fireplace is beautiful, but a mantel would look nice. Just a suggestion, lower the pictures. Beautiful room!
  • indianpatti
    9 years ago
    Adding a shaggy, ivory area rug would add some light to the room. I like the fireplace & would keep the stone.
  • Christine b
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Here's the rest of the room.
  • Dar Eckert
    9 years ago
    I agree, a chunky stained wood mantle would look nice and also black doors as suggested.
    Transitional Family Room · More Info
  • PRO
    Design Works
    9 years ago
    I vote keep the fireplace stone.
  • bgfuqua
    9 years ago
    I like your fireplace. I would, however, pull the 2 chairs in closer and get a larger rug.
  • juudean
    9 years ago
    Love your fireplace...my stone isn't as interesting, but here it is with black and a rustic mantel...haven't decided whether to stain it.
  • Nancy Walton
    9 years ago
    I would get a larger area rug in a design the has some red in it. The rug you have now is way too small and is uninteresting in the space. Something with a "touch" of red to bring in the art above the sofa.
  • Christine b
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Larger rug is coming. We just recently moved in so all rooms are a work in progress
  • delyanks
    9 years ago
    I'm with the rest. Gold to black doors and nice chunky reclaimed mantel. Don't go too short with it.
  • lefty47
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    HI -- I love the stone on the fireplace . What I don't like is the top on the hearth and once you have the screen painted black I think you will find that needs to be changed to a glossy black granite /marble tile . You could have a mantel or not ... .I would rather see no mantel and an interesting décor item instead . It would be more modern without a mantel . Very nice furniture and room and getting a bigger rug when you can and it will be very welcoming .
  • dianezz
    9 years ago
    As you are planning, I would change the brass to black and but don't see a rustic mantle tying things together/fitting with the design as the rest of how you did the room isn't rustic. I might go with a sleek (not too thick) black mantle the width of the fireplace to tie in with the other black furniture of the room.
  • janroze
    9 years ago
    We've been brainwashed by the market that wants to sell new inserts. Personally, my DH and I prefer the warm tones of brass and gold to a chilly looking silver and dark depressing black any day.
  • janroze
    9 years ago
    I would warm the room up with lots of red and a nice big mantle and a gorgeous area rug.
  • PRO
    Interior Affairs -- Vickie Daeley
    9 years ago
    I would take it down and make it much prettier...with a mantle and maybe even put a television over it or a piece of art. The stone could be granite under the mantle and the above the mantle cover the existing stone with drywall.
  • kcmnc
    9 years ago
    I like the fireplace but don't think that blue gray wall color is helping put its best face forward. It makes the stone look yellowed and dirty to me. Maybe a warmer color would not have that problem.
  • Paula Lewis
    9 years ago
    I like it. It kind of has a cozy ski lodge vibe going on. It looks like you should have plump pillows, cozy throws and a bowl of popcorn for those cold winter evenings that will be here soon. .
  • rgmauer
    9 years ago
    I would Sheetrock over it and make it sleek and modern and white with an vocal point with picture or a huge wreath and I've have no mantel
  • Liz Moore
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    lamoore406
    We had a similar situation. We brought down half of the rock which worked because there was a mantle that divided the top from bottom. We had built ins added and also put on a new door that made it more contemporary. A new fireplace door will make a huge difference. I don't think the rock is a deal breaker...yours I prettier than ours was . A mantle would be lovely... And maybe a large mirror sitting on it to minimize the rock if you don't remove any. Your home is gorgeous. Congratulations.
  • Debp
    9 years ago
    I don't mind it - love the texture. I agree that painting the insert black is the way to go and I like the idea of black on the hearth. I wouldn't add a mantle unless you want a rustic theme to your room. Your larger rug will pull the room together and yes - you need to lower all your art and maybe pull your furniture in a bit. I like the wall color.
  • Marianne Scoggin
    9 years ago
    I like Grover's suggestions / mock-up. Can't see the side of the room opposite the windows. The fireplace seems isolated from the furniture, and the chairs isolated from the couch and coffee table. Is there space to bring the couch and coffee table forward facing the fireplace? If yes, the chairs should be separated, one to the right of the couch, other to the left, facing each other - to form a conversation square with the fireplace. The room needs pillows, plants, sculpture or mid-size statue. Something over by the pretty curved / bowed window area. Maybe a long, narrow table behind couch, if there's space for it. Wouldn't need side tables for couch then.
  • tsomer01
    9 years ago
    Needs a simple rustic thick slab of wood for the mantle and paint the gold black
  • Dar Eckert
    9 years ago
    Or paint the brass silver color.
Sponsored
COLAO & PETER Luxury Outdoor Living
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
VA, MD, and DC's Award-Winning Custom Pool Builders | Best of Houzz