pegleg

I am at a lost on how to retrofit my home to accomidate my sons wheelchair and medical equitment also to make

pegleg
I am tring to get a grant to rehab and retrofit my home to accomidate my disabled sons wheelchair and medical equitment. I had even tried to find a property to buy and was suprised to find there are practically no homes that accomidate Handicap individuals.I was denied a grant because my family is not considered low income. After medical bills(my son takes 12 meds twice daily) tuition,Gas,utilities etc I feel as if I am low income. I wondered if you know of foundations etc that help with retrofitting or rehabing homes for the disabled. I am willing to try and tackel myself but don't no how or where to start. Your help in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Marie Meko, Allied ASID
    Where do live so we can try to assist you? My grandson is in a wheel chair because of an automobile accident so I can understand your problem from personal experience .
    Houzz community lets see how we can really help someone who really needs us!
  • Manon Floreat
    Okay - in which state do you live? Let's see if we can find you some assistance. Also, if your son has a specific condition/diagnosis, there may be charitable organizations or foundations that can assist you.

There are groups within companies who donate there time to help out their fellow humans. Boeing was one of those companies. Catholic Community Services is another. I'm sure there is something in your area that is similar.

So, one thing you can do now is to contact those organizations and take advantage of folks who are willing to help out with other household activities. Living with a disability in any capacity can be challenging so anything you can have someone else assist you with (cleaning, grocery shopping, errand running, etc.) will free up your time so that you can take care of yourself. And by taking care of yourself you are in better position to take care of your family.

My mother had MS and her main concern was to have the bath and kitchen easily accessible to her if her condition took her to a wheelchair. I'm sure you've already thought about it, but taking out that tub and installing a larger shower that can accommodate a chair will be immensely helpful to you.

As time and money allow, get all of the doors widened and kitchen counters shortened so that he can participate in his care - something as simple as being able to retrieve your own cup from a shelf is something many of us take for granted but mean the world to someone who is other abled.

You are in my thoughts and I will be personally requesting that the Universe come to your aid.

Need help finding a non profit Universal Handicap Accessible Builder

Thanks so much for your advice. I actually did contact several companies, Habitat for Humanity, Hud, Washington D.C, The United Way, 211,My Mayor, HomesfreeHomes etc. I even tried contacting HGTV and DIY, I applied for various contest to win a home, I have been tring to get assistance for over a year now. The majority of Grants and other assistance requires you to be low income. I am considered Middle Class. My son requires constant care, takes 12 meds twice daily. My home was built in 1965. I live in the City of Walnut, Ca. I can't add a modular home to my property because The City I reside in will not allow it. The City states we do not qualify for a Grant because they have to follow guidelines which indicate and require that you have to be a low income individual. My son would also have to be on the Deed. When I found out the lot I own in Helendale County located in San Bernadino County and considered being in a rural area I applied for the HUD USDA RURAL Developement loan for my son who is considered Low income. He was approved for $52.700.00. My home that we reside in is located in Los Angeles County and they have no programs at this time. I can't use those funds on my current resident because it is not in a rural area. I am writing on Houzz to see if possibly someone might be able to assist my family. Because the funding is only $52,700.00 I would need help from a Non Profit, Charity or Foundation because I have no additional money to add to the money HUD has funded. I thought that I could purchase a Modular home but that amount would just cover the amount of the home and not prepping of the lot moving of home etc. Also Helendale will not allow a home less than 1800 square feet and I have to have the home be Universal and Handicap Accessible. I will still continue to pray about it and hope I get the help we need,Thank you.

Aging in Place - Empty Nest Ideas - What are your ideas?

We don't send our family to a home if at all possible. My grandparents cared for their aunts and parents. My parents cared for their. Yes, we had professional help--a 40-hr-a-week nurse's aid AND an aid who came evenings to get my grandfather into bed. That was budgeted for, and honestly, it was cheaper than assisted living for 2 people, anyway! My brother is partially disabled but is unemployed by choice. I've given him jobs. He's refused to do them. So now I've made it known that when the time comes, because he's made his choices, I'm sending him to a home, not caring for him. We need to save for our retirement and for our children, not for a brother who had sponged off others his entire life. Sad, but you have to draw the line. Anyway, I'll be adding a 1200sqft suite with complete kitchen/1.5 baths/etc. that's 100% handicap accessible for my parents. They'll split their time between that and their own house until they need more support or decide to pick up an RV-centric lifestyle, and then they'll move in permanently and reimburse me for the house. A caregiver could live in a basement suite, if needed. If we have kids that are local, we can hand over the main house (which will be over 4000sqft) to them and retire to the handicap-accessible space. Honestly, we could do that just if we wanted to downsize but still wanted to enjoy much of the place that we've created.

Should I put in a roll in shower instead of a walk in shower?

It's smart to think of how you may use your home over time, and to try and keep spaces flexible. But overemphasizing the concept of aging in place is like adding an additional 500 sq ft and $200k for a fancy butler's pantry, guest powder room, second oven, and formal dining room so you can host Thanksgiving every other year for eight years. It has emotional appeal, but it probably isn't a smart choice, based on cold, hard economics. It is very hard to predict how long you will stay in your home, and equally hard to predict what frailties you may or may not face in the future. You can take a lot of people out to a lot of four star restaurant meals (in limos!) for much, much less than that formal dining room. And you can hire someone to do laundry for a lot less than the cost of building a first floor laundry room to get it out of the basement. That said, curbless showers look nicer. I would consider one on the basis of its appeal to me as a healthy adult. The house I am in now had one when I moved in, and it was used by a 90 year-old. Turned out they achieved it by retrofitting the existing shower with a three-sided shower pan. I don't recommend that approach. They were jerks, because they intentionally hid the issue with a LOT of caulk. But there are all kinds of ways you can creatively adapt when the time comes.

What made you choose your home?

I was looking for an ugly house that I knew I could fix and that I could get at a great price. The man's father died and he just wanted to sell and get back to his own life. And because it looked so bad and needed so much work, he wasn't getting any offers on it so I knew I could come in low with an all cash offer and get it. When I was standing in the drive way for the first time waiting for the realtor to show up to show me the home, I absolutely knew it was going to be the one. I knew it would be my house. Yes, it was amazingly ugly, but it could all be fixed. The floor plan could get there with some walls removed and the lot was amazing, It's very strange but I can honestly say every home I've ever bought, I "felt" it, and my current one is no exception. Weird story, later on after purchasing it I befriended a neighbor down the street who had lived in her home since the beginning of the neighborhood. And she told me that the original owners of my home were a young couple who birthed all of their children in the tub in the guest bathroom. Just as I was thinking of how disgustingly strange that sounded, she said, "So there is a lot of love in your house", and I left it on that note.
  • pegleg
    Hello.I live in The City of Walnut, California 91789
  • Manon Floreat
    Here are my pre-liminary findings related to our dilema. I found a website with some potentially good information - it at least lists several funding sources for retrofit and assistance:

http://www.disaboom.com/adaptive-retrofitting/financing-an-accessible-home-how-to-retrofit-and-stay-within-your-budget

Here is a good article about design related to retrofitting, it also advises us to see the Americans with Disabilities Act website:

http://www.hgtvremodels.com/interiors/creating-accessible-homes/index.html

This group assists low-income, but who knows what their definition of low-income is. At any rate, they might have some ideas about who else you can contact:

http://rebuildingtogether.org/whatwedo/
  • Anja
    Hey!

If you would like to try things on your own I would suggest changing the shower into a roll in one. I do not know if your son is able to bathe himself or not, so it really depends on whether you prefer the shower or tub. (ADA showers is a good company to google, they have everything from handle bars to adjustable counters) You may be able to get some ideas from just seeing photos.

If the tub must stay then a nice shower curtain will also make things easier instead of the sliding door.

The sink and cabinet looks like it takes up a lot of space. Maybe removing the sink and cabinet and replacing it with a floating sink and that way there is storage space underneath for any medical equipment.

As for medicine and other things a simple Foldout Table Medicine Cabinet might work? or even a simple plastic storage unit with wheels and drawers. Pretty Sure Wal-mart may carry them, Ikea is a good place to look for storage units also.

As for the door leading into the bathroom, a sliding door might work a lot better the few extra inches of space really makes a big difference.

http://www.ada-handicapped-showers.com/about_us.html
    Capua Custom Tile & Stone
    Here are some design elements which will help someone with mobility complications to navigate a bathroom more easily.
    1. Pocket-door; minimum 36" wide
    2. Wall-hung toilet
    3: Floating console sink; 34" above floor max./ 27" clearance below
    4: Barrier-free roll-in shower; minimum 36" x 36"
    Concept: Floor to pitch starting at pocket door and peak just after console sink. Wall-hung toilet does not require flat or level floor, and makes cleaning easier. From floor peak, approx 56" from back wall of shower, pitch falls to shower drain at center of approx 60"x56" shower pan. Flip-down shower bench anchored into 2"x12" wall blocking. Grab bars anchored into 2"x12" wall blocking. Would a ceiling hoist be useful now, or in the future?

With the whole floor utilized for the pitch, you can accommodate an ADA compliant barrier-free shower without having to make structural changes to the house. A barrier-free shower of this scale might not even require a shower curtain, except for modesty purposes.
    Best of luck,
    Shaughnn
  • pegleg
    YOU ALL ARE SOOO GREAT!! My son attends a special needs school which sent a vendor out who took measurements and was willing to provide us with a new tub. The problem is our home was built in 1965. The bathroom,doors and walls are to small and narrow. Thats why we need to rehab and retrofit the home. Unfortunately we can't afford to. I have tried to get grants and loans that my son should qualify for. My son and his twin brother were diagnosed with Adrenoleukodistrophy. lil Adam passed away in 2004 he was 11yrs old. Andrew recieved a transplant but he was left mentally and physically disabled.He is 18 but has the mind of a seven yr old. Paying medical bills,medication(Andrew takes 12 meds twice a day)and my daughters tuition has caused us to be late paying bills so qualifing for a loan is not possible. Because my son is considered an adult I thought he could qualify for a loan or grant but he does'nt because he resides with us and we are not considered Low income. Thats why I was hoping to find a foundation or charities willing to assist us. At this point I'm almost ready to give up. Your sugestions are greatly appreciated. Thank you,Peggy.
    Capua Custom Tile & Stone
    Peggy, You could contact Habitat for Humanity and see if they can't point you in a more productive direction? While they don't usually engage in retrofit/remodel work, it's possible that their networking has put them into contact with organizations which might be just what you're looking for. I've built a whole-room shower for a quadrepalegic teenager, through Habitat for Humanity here in Tacoma, WA, so I know that there's even some wiggle room there.
    Best of luck!,
    Shaughnn
  • pegleg
    Thank you
    By Any Design Ltd.
    Pegleg what has your search for a grant turned up to-date? If I can of any help planning a barrier free renovation please let me know.

John Whipple
    By Any Design Ltd.
    http://www.No-Curb.com
    Capua Custom Tile & Stone
    John, She's on a restricted budget and not able to pay your "service fee". The shamelessness of your self-promotion trolling is staggering, if not only repulsive.
  • pegleg
    I unfortunately am unable to qualify for a grant.
    By Any Design Ltd.
    Sorry to hear that Pegleg. Our friend Shaughnn (Capua Custom Tile & Stone) and I are not so friendly - as I'm sure you can see from his kind words above. That's a long story - so I won't bore you with the details, nor will I charge you a service fee to hear my thoughts on improving your current bathroom on a show string budget.

What I can do is hook you up with some products that will make building your barrier free shower easier and less expensive. I know hundreds of tile men around the country, perhaps I can convince one to help you a little or a lot. Can you email me your contact details so we can chat? At the minimum I can send you the drain you need and if I ask nicely I might be able to convince Mapei or Laticrete to contribute some waterproofing and setting materials.

Send me your phone number to info@byanydesign.com. I'll call you today or tonight.

Were you hoping for a barrier free shower with a regular drain or a linear drain? I have lots of both?

Do you have another bathroom you can use while this gets done or do you need to turn this around quickly?

Who do you have that can help you and what types of tools do you access to?

Lots of questions - but we can check them all off.

@ Shaughnn - can you take a chill pill?

Best,

John Whipple
    By Any Design Ltd.
    (604) 506 6792
    http://www.No-Curb.com
  • pegleg
    My son attends a special needs school that has CCS(California Children's Services) they sent a vendor out to measure our bath room because they would provide me with a tub for my son free of charge. The problem is my bathroom is to small to use his lift. My home was built in 1965. All of our hallways and doors are to narrow. Our entire home would have to have a universal design to make my entire home wheel chair accessible. Thats why I was tring to get a rehab grant from the City I reside in(City OF Walnut) Those grants are only provided to Low income people. So I unfortunately dont qualify for any assistance. I did contact Agencies like Habitat for Humanity but they only provide for low income. I am unfortunately considered Middle Class. But I do appreciate your offer to help. Thanks so much.
    Susan Mills Design
    John at no point did I think you were trolling but saw an honest offer to assist as each post since I started to follow you showed. On one of your posts I saw an excellant bathroom that had a sling type chair in it the shower area. Could this work? How do you determine what is the best approach? I have had little experience with disabilities and design.

pegleg, I also offer any assistance with your special needs. My heart goes out to you as I know how difficult it must be for you. I raised 4 kids on my own and that was hard enough I thought.
    By Any Design Ltd.
    Wow - you are in a pickle. My offer stands, when you figure things out please call me.

Sounds like you need more than just a new shower. I might suggest you contact Eric Andersson from Accessible Housing Services. I have not met anyone in the states with a larger knowledge base on home remodelling for the elderly and handicapped.

Ask Eric if he can recommend a peer of his in California, perhaps Eric as well knows of a little used fund or trust you can gain access from.

Eric Anderson
    Accessible Housing Services
    Eric@AccessibleHousingServices.com
    http://www.AccessibleHousingServices.com
    1 (410) 365 7086

Is it possible to convert another room into a Master Suite of sorts with room for your sons bedroom and a new bathroom all in once space? This might be cheaper for you in the long run.

The position you find yourself in is a common one for sure. My father-in-law just went into a care home and getting him funding was insane and so hard to do. We can't afford the care nor could he until the government reviewed our book keeping. Is it possible for you to have your income audited with your son's medicine and care costs documented? Perhaps you need this extra step done first?

A CGA might be able to advise you on forming a corporation and with some creative accounting show your income as low enough to qualify for a grant. Just throwing out random ideas.

John Whipple
    By Any Design Ltd.
    (604) 506 6792
    http://wwww.No-Curb.com
    By Any Design Ltd.
    Thanks Susan. I do promote the heck out of my installations and do my best to counter poor online advice. I read so much of it it makes me sick. What I'm finding to be the case is many posters offer advice in an attempt to sell one product over the other or offer up false advice on their competitor.

There is little resource for any designer, home owner, architect to double check these facts - it is always best practice to formulate a plan and then check this by the manufactures to see it all works together.

"One test is worth a thousand expert opinions" This is a great quote I took from a logging site. Makes sense to test a chain that will support your teams life! Makes equal sense to test the shower being built that it holds water. Many tile setters online hate my constant promotion of these test - it's cost them 1-3 days of down time. The test in the TCNA and TTMAC guidelines does not even state it needs to be done by the tiler but "others". I constantly get emails all over America thanking me for this advice. If you tell your builder, renovator, tile man that you want a 72 flood test - I can assure you they will take a lot more time making sure it's bullet proof if not waterproof!

Here in Canada my goto guy for sling and lift equipment is Ronny. He just signed up on Houzz.com and you can reach him here.

Ronny Wiskin - Reliable Living
    ronnywiskin@reliableliving.com

When you start adding in these lifts and slings you need to address more than the floors and walls. You need to consider who will help, what is their strong side? You need to reinforce ceiling joists to take the extra weight. You need to remove headers from the room to the bathroom. You are entering into a costly renovation.

Your project Pegleg could make for a good showcase and learning exercise for all of us. Why not make up a wish list and lets try and approach these companies for some good will product. If you agree to document the process and give up photo permission you might be surprised at what can be offered up. As far as showcasing this procedure Houzz.com would be an excellent venue and getting this type of specialized equipment covered in front of thousands of builders and designers makes sense for me, if I was a medical equipment supplier.

Does this sound like something you would be willing to do? I'm sure I would learn a ton just aiding in my area of speciality and working with your team.

What all do you need for this renovation to improve the quality of your life and your sons?

JW
    By Any Design Ltd.
    I almost forgot to give you Shannon's email. Shannon also has a medical equipment supply company and works out of the states. Shannon promotes the use of the AKW Tuff Form shower pan and has countless other products in his online store.

Call on Shannon as well. He could know installers in your state and perhaps again some grants you might not have found.

Shannon Melvin
    smelvin@arcfirst.net
    http://www.arcfirst.net
  • pegleg
    Wow!! you all have such great ideas I thank you all so very much for your responses and recommendations. I was ready to give up. You have all given me knew hope. I don't want you to think I am going through this alone. My husband is a Fireman and very supportive. We like most people have suffered from the economy. We have fallen behind on our bills due to medical issues,medications( my sons takes 12 medications twice daily)etc .Because my son has no bathroom access we have to provide diapers and bathe him in bed,We have to provide special milk for him(Nutrin). His milk and medication are given to him through a G-tube. I am more than willing to be apart of any program to help us with providing a Barrier Free home for our son. I would never consider placing him in a home so I am open to anything. I am providing photos so that you can have an ideal of what we are dealing with.
  • pegleg
  • pegleg
    More photos of my home
  • pegleg
    more photos
    Susan Mills Design
    Thanks for posting the additional pictures. We can see you are dealing with alot. I think John has posted many excellant suggestions including inviting the houzz community to do what we can. Keep smiling in the mean time!
    By Any Design Ltd.
    Those tiles on the floor in the picture bottom right have a huge crack running through them. Has your house settled over the years? Is that a new crack or an old one?

What is below those tiles? Plywood or concrete.

I think we should plan out all that needs to be done and break it down into workable weekend type projects. IE it's a mountain of work to do all the renovation but perhaps this weekend you can remove the door jamb, door and perhaps some 2"x4" material so you can get your lift through.

Is that the only bathroom with a shower? Is there another bathroom in the home? Can you install a pocket door in front of this door? What about a visible track and sliding door?
  • pegleg
    Good morning Mr. Whipple. I had first discovered the cracks when I tried to replace the carpet with floor tile in Andrews(my son) room. I then discovered more in my living room and kitchen. Their are also cracks in the ceiling and walls. The floors are concrete. I have sealed the cracks in my sons room. The cracks were caused by earthquakes. Because I had no earthquake insurance I called FEMA but they can't assist because the President of the United States has to declare your area a disaster. Removing the door jam will not work. I do have another bathroom with a shower but its even smaller than my main bathroom. A pocket door cannot be installed. Pocket area wont fit into the wall due to obstruction. Lacks adequate space.The cracks are old. My house was built in 1965. The photos show Andrews room. His room is situated in the front of our home.
  • pegleg
  • pegleg
    We cannot enter into my sons room through the front entrance. We have to take him up the driveway and enter from the backyard through the kitchen. The doorways are beat up because they are so narrow.
    By Any Design Ltd.
    Wow. I'm at a bit of a loss for words. For me this is rare since I always have my two bits to say. They say a journey around the world starts with a single step. If you can please make up a wish list for what you need for your home.

It is obvious that we can't go and start repairing foundation, wall, floor and ceiling issues with out some outside help or funding. But perhaps we can make some aspect of your day easier.

What is your biggest battle right now? Is it the doorways, entry into the home or shower?

JW
  • pegleg
    My wish list is to somehow update and combine my sons room with the bathroom to enable him to use it. I went to a abilities expo and saw a remote controlled lift that is connected to the ceiling. That would be a great thing to have. That way we could use it to lift him out of his bed strait into a tub or shower. I could switch my sons room to my daughters room because only a wall separates that room from the bathroom. My biggest wish is for us to enable my son to use the bathroom.
    By Any Design Ltd.
    Installing a lift requires proper framing in the ceiling. Can you send me your home plans and have your husband check out the framing in the ceiling.

If you can have him map out the ceiling framing we might get an idea what walls are non-bearing and what walls are bearing.

Is your husband a handy type? My buddy Tom is a local fireman here in Vancouver and him and his buddies are always building stuff.

What about your husbands work mates - any contractors in the group? Any chance one of them can come over and help with this step.

Can you send me the exact name of the lift you say. I'll work on the story idea with the manufacture and see where we get.

JW
  • pegleg
    Hello. The Lift is called BHM V4 Ceiling Track Lift. I will ask my husband to check our home plans and get the information you need. My son will be having minor surgery Monday to remove a lump. So I will get back to you next week,Thanks again.
  • janway
    Maybe someone could approach Extreme Makeover and see if they would help.
    By Any Design Ltd.
    There's a good idea! I'll send them an email with this link

JW
    Capua Custom Tile & Stone
    I volunteered for an Extreme Makeover projects here in the Seattle area several years ago. I recommend staying clear of them. While the production company was top notch and treated everyone very well, it's still just a television show. After the cameras are packed away and the bus rolls on down the road the new homeowner is left with something which is "stage perfect" but not very livable. I heard that our homeowner spent the next year having things fixed and almost lost the place because her new property taxes exceeded her ability to pay them.
    Volunteering was great. The aftermath was depressing though.
  • jerseygirl64
    My son is 14 and we are currently just beginning this same project, looking for designs is how I saw your post. I'm from NJ and my son is under 18 so some things may differ but first off, a lift with overhead tracking is covered by our insurance and was offered to me through my pediatrician. My son is small and can do a little weight bearing so we don't need it at this time thankfully but check with your insurance company. If you don't have a case manager with your ins. co., ask for one. It makes the process so much easier. Secondly, as far as funding goes...network, network, network! There are all kinds of agencies out there that will help you - prob. not with the whole project but with smaller donations that you can use over a period of time. Go to your church, your civic groups, schools and talk to other spec. needs parents. They are your most valuable resource! Contact spec. needs support groups and you should have a case manager through your state as well. Call them and if you don't have one, request one. NJ has a catastrophic illness fund that helps pay for exactly this type of project. Check with your state agencies. Most of all, don't be afraid or too proud to ask anyone and everyone for their help with donations and labor. If your hubby is with the FD I'm sure he knows lots of guys. Coming from a family of PD & FD I also know that they step it up when one of their own needs help. Do they know you need help? If not, tell them. My husbands FD had an emergency fund for this type of thing through the state. Investigate! Trade off labor for something you can give in return to contractors - bookkeeping, cleaning etc. Break it down in to pieces as other have said and do a little over time. Special needs parents ROCK!!! You CAN do this! Good luck and God bless.
    By Any Design Ltd.
    Slowly making a little head way here. So the job status as I see is it right now is this. I have a new drain (regular or linear) and all the waterproofing products offered up to tackle this job as we speak. That's something and a start!

And I'm still waiting from an email from Pegleg with the plans and equipment list she needs. I have send out a few emails and had no luck finding a medical company willing to offer up product.

Who knows someone in the medical equipment business?

Pegleg get those plans sent to me. And that list. info@byanydesign.com
  • pegleg
    Hi Mr. Whipple,Sorry been busy dealing with some medical issues. There is so much work that is needed. The list is so long. The recent earthquakes have caused additional damage to our home. We unfortunately have no earthquake insurance. FEMA will only provide help if the President of the United States declares your area a disaster.
    By Any Design Ltd.
    Is there a chance of that happening? Has your home been inspected for structural damage? Does your husband know any good home builders or framers?

With every tremor you home's structure can change for the worse. You need someone to look things over. I do not like the looks of the crack in your concrete floor.

JW
    Total Access Center
    Hello Mother of two - after receiving an email from my friend John and reviewing this thread. I would like to compliment you on your dilligence with respect to accommodating your childrens needs to the best of your ability. Having worked with so many parents who share similar challenges as your family, I know that you will find all the answers in order to provide the best possible care for your child.

I would like to share a contact in Los Angeles with you who works with families that have needs beyond traditional building and design practices. His name is Israel Gamburd of Gamburd Inc. based in Los Angeles, California. I know and trust that Israel and his team will have the experience and resources needed in order to help guide your childs medical/care team and advise you on the most suitable DME and accessibility options available both temporary and long term, as well as local third party funding that might be available to your familiy.

Wishing you all the best and your child a speedy recovery post surgery, take good care.

Ronny
    By Any Design Ltd.
    Thank You Ronny!
  • pegleg
    Hello Ronny and John and Jerseygirl. I am so thankful for all your advice and help. I have been busy with medical issues regarding my son. Im not sure if I should rehab or just try and sell my home. Thanks for everything,Pegleg.
  • Gail Zahtz
    Hi peg leg, sorry I am getting into the conversation late, but hope I can help. I have been saving a lot of items after extensive research with prices towards remodeling for universal design because I am raising 4 kids and am in and out of a wheelchair. Without an accessible home, I found myself more and more home bound. So suggestions:
    1) I would be happy to share my links if someone tells me best way to do so (it's on another site)
    2) I imagine/hope you are in application for SSI for your son. It is a process, but even more than any meager direct financial help you may get, having him as government disabled will get him many services not otherwise available
    3) I would have to look into CA, but many states have a much faster line to disability services through the state medical review team under the department of health. You should have an open intake number for your county for all county services, and let them know you need a county case manager through disability (not social security) and that should start your path. If you have private insurance, they also will cover a case manager through a contracted agency who can help with resources. Your best person to ask of you do not know where to start if your son's occupational therapist. There are numerous non-profits in each county that specialize-!for example that do free installations on mobility changes.
    4) safety and independence first- there are people I work with in MN and around the world who are deeply committed to universal design and/or online health. On the bathroom, having a similar one I was advised the best bet is a full Wetroom - your son will need a PCA (which you can get free from insurance or county) and glass or half walls get in the way. A curtain from the ceiling can give a beautiful way to separate out for other users (e.g. Pulled back next to the toilet) but not provide any barriers for your son or PCA. The system John mentioned is the best option- the whole room can get wet and still be both accessible and beautiful.
    5) A visitable wheelchair access will change your son's life. They make 2" door extender hinges that may make the difference. I have also found many low-cost high impact products and ideas I would be happy to share from ramping to adaptable solutions.. sometimes just removing something will give the turnaround and entry space your son needs.
    6) from catastrophic accidents, to aging in place and everything in between, there is a huge demand and little information available. To everyone else in the conversation- I have become convinced that a cause-related multi media program could enable learning for all by showcasing projects through television and web that showcases products and professionals and gets people in need rehabs in the process. John, Ronny, Susan, et al...my background is communications and joint ventures for pr/cause marketing. There just is not anything here in the U.S. I am happy to throw my hat in the ring to help coordinate an online and other media initiative on universal design. We can start with pegleg's son, and move around to different areas of UD from design to products to construction, etc.

Contact info-
    Gzahtz@me.com
    @gailzahtz
    Gail.zahtz Skype
    Www.gailzahtz.com -needs updating :-)

Nothing better than if we could use the online community to help! Pegleg- check out my story and you will understand I know you can get through this! Best, Gail
  • nolanbridges
    People with special need finding it difficult to perform daily living activities, but now they can take benefit of new medical equipments design to solve their problems. Conventionally the products were limited in their scope, but now with the improvement you can see highly advanced medical equipments at http://www.ilexmedical.com/products.php?act=cat which are providing unprecedented advantages to person living with disability. However, as you are talking about retrofitting your homes for providing ease and comfort for your disabled child, there are charitable organizations or government assistance programs that are very helpful. You can see its information at http://foundationcenter.org/getstarted/topical/disabilities.html, hope it helps.
    Designing To Stay

Please look up tetrasociety.org they have a Los Angeles chapter they may be able to help. Courage.