Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
luckyme7

Folding door vs. regular door for corner pantry

luckyme7
9 years ago
This is the kitchen layout of my house that is to be built. We are making a few changes like expanding the island, moving the fridge to the extreme right, adding prep sink etc. For this lay out is a folding door for corner pantry a good idea as opposed to a regular door?

Any folding door I have had in the previous homes were poor quality where they wouldn't glide properly over time. I am not sure if those doors were just bad or all folding doors become that way over time.

Is a bi-folding door a good idea or a bad idea?

Comments (15)

• PRO
    GN Builders L.L.C
    9 years ago
    I would definitely go with a regular door.
  • luckyme7
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Can you elaborate on why please?
  • User
    9 years ago
    If you have a regular door, and it swings out, will it will be blocking your access to half of the kitchen? For example, you go to the pantry to get a couple things out for dinner. Where do you set them down? Will you have to shut the pantry door to set them where you want them? Or, will you be able to set them on the island before shutting the door? Is a full door going to hit or come close to the island? I'd prefer a full size door (for looks), but only if those things are not issues.

Also, I happened to notice that you don't have any supports for your island overhang. I strongly suggest putting in supports. I've heard of people with granite overhangs not supported, that actually cracked.
  • PRO
    GN Builders L.L.C
    9 years ago
    If you dealing with a laundry room upstairs or a small closet out of the view, bi-fold doors are OK. If you have a kitchen or other frequently used area a regular door would look much better and is preferred by most customers in the kitchen or any gathering area.

Good luck
  • sandkshouse
    9 years ago
    Coming from someone who"s had folding doors, I would say traditional doors work better and look nicer.
  • PRO
    Julia & Elizabeth
    9 years ago
    Either a regular door or French doors.
  • PRO
    Charles Ross Homes
    9 years ago
    I concur that bi-fold doors are not a good option for a pantry where frequent access is required. Bi-swing doors require you to open two doors each time you need access so I suggest they're not a good option either. However, I do like the scale and appearance of the smaller doors as shown by Rinqreation. You could marry a pair of these type of doors together to create a single door that appears like bi-swings, but is hinged on only one side and opens as a single door.
  • shorothstein
    9 years ago
    Maybe a pocket door? That way it will not swing in or out and take up space
  • Carol Johnson
    9 years ago
    You cannot do a pocket door on the angled pantry closet.

Single door or French door.
  • Angel 18432
    9 years ago
    Regular door or glass door. One large pane of glass instead of 10 or 12 will make it look less busy. I would put in a light in the pantry that goes on when door is opened and goes off when door is closed. That way door will always be closed.
  • PRO
    RomaPorte
    9 years ago
    Bi-fold doors are a great addition to any interior space that is in need of a modern transformation. Specially with our collection of products, because they are manufacturer to excel in many different factors such as luxury, design and simplicity. Each and everyone of our products are created using the very best materials and hardware that's currently available. On top of this we also use Italian materials with very modern designs, take a quick glance at http://www.romaporte.com.

Sincerely,
    The RomaPorte Team
  • User
    9 years ago
    Have you thought about doing a regular door with a frosted glass in-lay? This would add some visual interest you could even put the word pantry stenciled in. Bi-fold doors can be a pain in my experience. Good luck!
    Ullswater · More Info
  • Dar Eckert
    9 years ago
    It appears that an in swinging door would be the best for the pantry. Are you thinking of butting the refrigerator up to the pantry? Keep in mind the swing of the refrigerator. You need to open the doors wider than 90 degrees to pull out the drawers in the frig and the pantry wall may prohibit that as it sticks out farther than the refrigerator does.
  • PRO
    Maltby Design
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    A door swing into the pantry would seriously impact the usable storage inside the pantry. The door should swing out in a direction that won't impact adjacent appliances.