jkhenson

Pine Bedroom Furniture . . . To Paint or Not to Paint?

jkhenson
I've had this furniture since the mid-80's and am less than in love with the orange-y color. I've been playing around with the idea of chalk painting it using Annie Sloan colors Coco or French Linen, with the dark wood vanity Duck Egg Blue, all with dark wax. I've also thought about not having all of the pine furniture pieces the same color. I'm not opposed to painting the room to compliment those colors (the ENTIRE house is the tan color shown). Does anyone have any thoughts?

• Karen D
    Here is one more picture of a piece a friend painted in her home with Annie Sloan. It is french gray with clear wax and gold accents.
  • anne dee
    You could mix it up a bit by keeping one or 2 pieces of the pine and painting others white and have a nice blue accent piece as seen in this inspiration/ref picture
    Fish Camp Beach Cottage · More Info

color for bedroom walls, the furniture is teal green with natural pine

Thank you so much for your reply Carolyn Albert-Kinci. I am also planning to do a bedroom in yellow and gray. The comforter set has medallions on an off white background. There is a solid yellow pattern with huge medallions and gray across the bottom of comforter. The bedroom walls have chair rail. Should I remove that, or should I paint the top yellow and the bottom gray? Thank you in advance for your help. Any suggestions will be appreciated!

Master Bedroom Furniture Refinish: Paint suggestions

Maybe it would help to post the actual picture here:And the wall color:

mixing painted and wood furniture for bedroom

I agree with your sister, don't paint the furniture, at least not until you see it in your new room. If after you paint the walls, pick out your bed linens and put up decorations it looks too dark, then maybe, but it looks like the finishes are nice as is. Shabby chic doesn't have to be all white and natural textures can be an asset. And if you don't like the mirror over the vanity you can usually find antique or reproduction mirrors pretty easy.

Bedroom Paint/Rug/Furniture

I love the idea of gray in this room! Are you planning to replace the bedding? I think something more classic (Belgian linen, with the Moroccan rug you're planning) could work nicely. Originally, I thought I would definitely paint all the moldings similar to what you currently have (the room looks quite small, and adding white could look busy otherwise) but I think either could be so pretty.
  • anne dee
    Or if you prefer a monochromatic scheme the cream furniture in this ref pic would suit yr bed decor

https://www.houzz.com/photos/1512-dolphin-terrace-beach-style-bedroom-los-angeles-phvw-vp~235528
  • kellyslobodian
    I like ebony idea and stain gel in general I Amon the coast and salt oak andgraygel stains popular,these are good ideas,bed and ottoman look good,see Wayfair and Josh and Main for wall art canvas.also Concider gallery wall any small mirror,art paintings on bedroom wall frame bed board.Would stain or paint pine.
  • Amy Swisher
    I would love to see what you end up doing. I have the exact same problem with my 90's Broyhill bedroom set. I just bought a grey floor for my bedroom. I am debating what color to paint the Orangy furniture. Black, grey, white.? Can't wait to see your results.
  • kluby
    Hopefully you haven't painted anything yet. I have used gelstain on several pieces of pine and oak. Choose a color like Walnut, or hickory. Both are rich browns. 2 step process and very easy. 1st step is to use a sander/de glosser. Wiper it on an let dry. Costs about $7 at Lowes. Using a old towel or t-shirt (with rubber gloves, apply gelstain. Let dry. Done. Gelstain costs less than $20 for a quart and should be plenty for your furniture pictured.
    For some pieces, I've sprayed with a poly, also found at Lowes or Home Depot. It'll seal the stain, without dis coloring.
  • btydrvn
    Prince ...your comments are annoying and disrespectful...and in some cases insulting..perhaps you can find a more appropriate outlet than this one
  • jkhenson
    Wow! How great to wake up to all of these amazing and thoughtful suggestions! Karen Dumont, thank you for the pictures. Your pieces came out beautifully and a picture is worth a thousand words. Anne Dee,my original intention was to go with a monochromatic look in the room and I'm still leaning that way, although a black piece or two could be a good anchor. The last thing I want to do is paint them all the same color and go from an 80's matchy-matchy look to a 2014 matchy-matchy look! I found these colors on Pinterest and am thinking that the armoire would look cool with the driftwood effect (bottom). Stay tuned . . . I'm itching for a project and this will be a BIG one!
  • jkhenson
    Oh yeah, gel stain . . . maybe a piece (or two) with that! It would be good to mix up the texture of the finishes.
  • Karen D
    Please keep us posted. It is definitely a big project, but you will be happy when it's complete! Love all your color choices. I'm also planning to re-paint my 1980s bedroom furniture next. Good luck :-)
  • decoenthusiaste
    Start looking for a chandelier to replace the fan.
    Murray Feiss F2933/7CHKW Caprice 7 Bulb Chalk Washed Chandelier · More Info
  • joycedurkin
    Love the pine!!! The furniture stores are only selling dark woods, expresso or white. Your room is refreshing. Keep it the way it is.
  • sandradclark
    Chandelier is pretty, however it can't keep you cool at night. Besides I like the look of the fan from her entry.
  • Karen D
    I agree with sandradclak! The fan looks pretty from your entry and it really does help serve a purpose on warm nights. I took my fan out and miss it on those nights when I wake up hot! No fun to have to fan yourself with a paper fan!
  • jkhenson
    I LOVE the thought of a chandelier . . . but being a woman of a "certain age" I'm afraid I need function over form in this case. (I sometimes hate when that has to happen.)
  • sandradclark
    It is a beautiful fan too. I have been looking for a higher painting, btw
  • dooders1981
    Love the bed and the room! The pine furniture is not expensive or classic so paint armoire. I would get rid of night stands. The style screams 80s. I would get mirrored chests that have legs and paint the dresser. Need updated lamps through out. Too country. Get rid of the dressing table to the right of bed. It serves no purpose but clutters this lovely room. Perhaps place a large, resting mirror against the wall or leave open.
  • dooders1981
    Prince- thank you for apologizing to everyone on this thread. You were disrespectful.
  • asquithoatley
    Hey Prince- some people don't get your quirky humor,as we say in Australia to people with no sense of humor - "It's a joke Joyce!"
    jkhenson thanked asquithoatley
  • tw123456
    There are recipes for chalk paint on line, and they are very easy to make, and use. Use any left over paint, and equal amounts of Plaster of Paris and water, then the recommended amount of paint.. Annie Sloan's paints, are $ 135.00 a gallon.
    jkhenson thanked tw123456
  • tw123456
    I forgot to mention, is there a way to maybe use the armoire for a smaller flat screen? Move the armoire to the wall where the chest with the matching lamps are, because there seems to be more space there for it. I think flat screens are just not very pretty in a bedroom.
    jkhenson thanked tw123456
  • tw123456
    Karen you and your friend have done a great painting job. I will be trying to paint an armoire for our bedroom this winter, after we have moved.
  • Pam Martin
    Hey, I have some old Pine furniture also.....I still love mine, it's pretty old, but I get attached, it is a very soft wood, so it scratches badly. I have those!! I've never thought of painting it. Best of luck with whatever you do.:)
    jkhenson thanked Pam Martin
  • tw123456
    Good morning JK, why can't you have a chandelier? Do you need the ceiling fan, or is it the light on the fan?
    We are moving into another house where the have a ceiling fan with a light, we will be removing the fan and replacing it with a romantic looking chandelier. I prefer having a floor fan that I can position anyway I want, instead of having directly above my head.
    About the age thing, I maybe older than you are.
  • jillbertsch
    Hi jk. Peaking at your idea book it appears you favor light blue-green, or lavender-grey, wall color with "shades of white" furnishings. This would be beautiful and romantic in your bedroom. You already have a great start with a gorgeous bed & bedding ... paint the bedside tables to blend with the bed and mirrors and give them a metallic wax coat. Hang the mirrors higher... they are too low... Or bring them together over the bed. Furry black or plum colored pillows would be awesome.

Paint the armoire, dresser a charcoal or taupe, distressed maybe? The dresser mirror needs a metallic treatment. I would place the armoire where the tv is... someone mentioned storing the tv inside. Good idea if doors recess. Can the little 3-drawer chest find a home elsewhere?

Is the little vanity used often? If it needs to stay, consider moving it closer to the windows (away from the bed wall) and add an armchair in the corner by the vanity letting it serve double duty as reading lamp table and vanity. Hang the mirror vertically.

Thanks for reading. It's a nice room!!
  • jillbertsch
    Also love the piece Karen posted of a friends dresser. Very master bedroom-ish!
  • ycity
    I love your bed, and the fan is great too. I don't think you need so much furniture, you can get rid of some. The choices Anne dee gave are stunning!! Don't go black or ebony, but you can use white, cappuccino, grey, or even paint one with a bright color (like turquoise on Anne dee's example).
  • jkhenson
    So, I took the plunge and painted the furniture, found a new mirror and artwork, changed the hardware and replaced the lamp on the dresser! Thank you for all of your wonderful thoughts and great advice. In a perfect world I would love to have a larger master closet and bathroom so I could eliminate a piece or two of furniture. Until my dreams come true I'm pretty happy with the result. What do you think?
  • jkhenson
    Another couple of pictures . . . . if I had a larger master bath I would eliminate the vanity/mirror. I just used one of my dining room chairs to see what it would look like.
  • sandradclark
    Check my ideabook for art. left click on my name,click on houzz & pull up my ideabooks
  • risris
    Huge improvement! Looks completely modern now, you made great choices! My favorite is the color and hardware on the chest of drawers... looks quite expensive now.
    jkhenson thanked risris
  • Karen D
    jkhenson, it looks amazing! I bet you are so happy with it :-) What color did you use for the armoire? Is that french gray? And what kind of paint did you use to paint the black dresser?
    jkhenson thanked Karen D
  • anne dee
    Nice job!
    Congrats!
    jkhenson thanked anne dee
  • sandradclark
    I really love the changes. It is such a soothing monochromatic large room with just the right amount of soft colors & accessories. Good for you.
    jkhenson thanked sandradclark
  • jkhenson
    Thanks all! Karen, I experimented with both Annie Sloan colors and Behr "substitute Annie Sloan" colors I found on Pinterest . The nightstands are true Annie Sloan Old Ochre with dark wax. I made the chalk paint for the remainder of the pieces with plaster of paris. Armoire is duck egg blue, duck egg blue mixed with graphite (second coat dry brush, 3 parts duck egg, 1 part graphite), distressed and then dark wax. It was just too BLUE without the second color! The dresser is graphite.
  • Jolene
    Looks amazing!
    jkhenson thanked Jolene
  • dooders1981
    Looks amazing nice job. Can you eliminate the pear that is on the floor and the bench at the foot of the bed? I would also eliminate the lamp on your small dark chest and work on a different arrangement for that chest top. Aiming for an A shape offset with top of A to side of mirror? Maybe small pile of books with something on top and a taller anchoring plant, etc..
    jkhenson thanked dooders1981
  • jkhenson
    Good thoughts, dooders! The lamp on the small chest is actually a makeup mirror. Unfortunately that's where I do my hair/makeup on a daily basis. In a perfect world the entire vanity/table would go away . . . see the other picture I posted yesterday! Agree that the vignette on the dresser needs a little work! The hub insists on the basket on the right for his change, mail, and general detritus . . . he puts up with a lot from me, is great about controlling clutter and gives me almost complete design control so I (a little begrudgingly) have to give him this!
  • townse97
    It's amazing what some paint will do! Your space has completely transformed this room. Very happy for you!
  • tabelle70
    I can't believe that black chest is the same piece! Great work!
  • debidowell
    I would only like to suggest if you paint use an oil based primer. I refinished a maple bed and used regular primer and ended up with a crackle effect. Needless to say the project required much ,more work.
  • Karen D
    debidowell, you are coming in a bit late in the discussion-the painting has already been done, and it looks fabulous!
  • T. Z.
    Beautiful job! How long did it take to paint all of the pieces?
  • jkhenson
    It took a couple of long days to paint it all. Not too bad!
  • jkhenson
    It took longer to find and get the hardware . . .
  • Pam Martin
    I have old pine dresser, it is or was a beautiful piece, but the wood is so soft it has scratches all over the top from my cats & maybe me! I haven't thought about painting it, hmmmmmm not sure what color, I'd probably have to sand the top unless I liked the antique look. Which I do. This gave me ideas, for the future. :)
  • Nelida Mejia
    Wow it is beautiful! What brand name paint did you use? Did you sand and prime before painting?
  • nehendry

Beautiful job! Wow, your room is so pretty with all the hard work you did! You are an inspiration for me to do something with my pine furniture. Thank you for sharing. :)

• Rebekah Picot

That armoire looks amazing! Great decision

• decoenthusiaste

Excellent! I'm encouraged to do likewise with some pieces.