Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
johnfam

Tree question zone 8-9 plz help!?

johnfam
9 years ago
We have a big open yard and want to add trees that grow fast and will last a long time. I don't want a fast grower that will die or start dying after 15-20 years.
What are the healthiest fastest growing trees for these zones 8-9?? Thanks!

Comments (49)

• johnfam
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I will also add.. I currently have live oaks and a bald cypress in the yard.
  • johnfam
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Good fast growing tree for zones 8-9?
  • Jessica Kerry Mack
    9 years ago
    I have a few other questions for you. Do you want trees for privacy (ie. something along the border of your property) or are you looking for decorative ones (ie. something that blooms in the spring) or did you have produce in mind (ie. fruit trees, nut trees). Are there overhead things to consider like power lines or phone lines that the tree should be shorter than? Do you have a preference for an evergreen tree or one that sheds leaves in the winter? Speaking of leaves falling - some people choose trees based on the color the leaves turn in the fall, is that a consideration? Also, if the tree produces something that drops like acorns is that a problem? Many people don't like oaks or sweet-gum trees because of the things they drop that can dull lawnmower blades.

Just FYI - you are asking for something that doesn't exactly exist. Fast growing trees are generally softwood trees and usually have about a 30 year expected lifespan. Slow growing trees are hardwood and may last hundreds of years.
  • johnfam
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thanks for your comment.
    I don't need anything in particular - we have full grown oaks and bald cypress trees but want to add some more just to add dimension. There are several acres of yard and nothing to impede the growth (no power lines, etc)
    I just want the new trees I add to grow a little quicker so they blend in better with the mature trees. If theres no super fast growing option.. What would be the next best thing to fit in? Thanks!
  • PRO
    ProSource Memphis
    9 years ago
    You already have two outstanding long lived trees in your yard. I only wish that I could grow live oaks here. They last for centuries.

Perhaps you might concentrate on creating optimal conditions for your existing trees. Eliminate their competition for sunlight and nutrients, and be sure to keep well watered in periods of drought.
  • johnfam
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I see- do if I wanted moderate growth for longer lasting or something that gives more height to fit well with my very tall and old oaks ... What would work for that? Thank you!
  • Jessica Kerry Mack
    9 years ago
    The Univ. of Fla. has a good page listing trees that are good for your zone with photographs. http://hort.ifas.ufl.edu/woody/species.shtml
  • johnfam
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    @pro source
    Yes! We gave a couple that have got to be well over 150 years old and the rest if the oaks are huge and tall as well. The cypress is full grown also. I worry about a couple of the oaks that have some barren branches at the tops.. I'd gate to lose those and have no replacements.... Or have to wait 50 years for new oaks to get that tall again, know what I mean?
  • PRO
    ProSource Memphis
    9 years ago
    It would be well worth the expense to have a certified arborist consult with you both about the health of your current trees, and any ideas for future plantings. You have some valuable specimens that you want to maintain in the best of health after all!
  • johnfam
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Would it help to add a picture of the space?
  • Jessica Kerry Mack
    9 years ago
    Actually a better link is http://lyra.ifas.ufl.edu/FloridaTrees/ and then click on the "tree selector" link on the left.
  • Jessica Kerry Mack
    9 years ago
    Johnfam you always get more responses to your questions if you include photographs. Some people on Houzz won't respond to queries that do not have an attached photo.
  • Jessica Kerry Mack
    9 years ago
    Here's a link to help you find a certified arborist in your area http://www.isa-arbor.com/findanarborist/arboristsearch.aspx
  • johnfam
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    This is about 1.5 acres
  • johnfam
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    This is about am acre maybe more
  • Jessica Kerry Mack
    9 years ago
    Beautiful property! You have enough space to put in a small orchard if you were so inclined. That would be my first inclination but then I love having my own fruit to eat/share/can.
  • johnfam
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    This is one of the trees with barren/dead branches at the top- we also have Spanish moss all over all the oaks.. Not sure if that helps or hurts
  • Jessica Kerry Mack
    9 years ago
    I'd actually have a discussion with an arborist about managing this like an arboritum by staggering planting, having a proper mix of hard and softwoods, etc. This could be managed to create a migrating bird sanctuary which would be absolutely delightful!
  • johnfam
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Yes we have a lot we want to do but don't know where to start!
  • johnfam
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I'd love that! If I were to decide a good tree with fall color- do you know an option that is good in my climate? And what kind of orchard are you thinking? I am loving this advice!
  • Jessica Kerry Mack
    9 years ago
    Spanish moss is not a parasite and does not harm trees. What is fairly common in your zone that could hurt your oaks is Mistletoe which is a parasitic plant. Mistletoe is easy to spot when the leaves drop, but you can see the clumps even when the leaves are on the trees.
  • johnfam
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Okay- I'm looking around and don't see any of the mistletoe - just lots of moss and small fern type plants on the tree trunks.
  • Jessica Kerry Mack
    9 years ago
    If your zone is correct you're far enough south that most trees won't develop a lot of color in the fall due to lack of that sudden change in temp that we get further north. Sweet gums can have some of that fall fire in the deep south. They turn bright yellow or red, but a lot of people won't plant them due to the spiky balls they drop which are seen as an annoyance.

If it were my property and I wanted to install an orchard, I'd probably start with something common like apples, cherries, and some good southern peaches. You're in that border zone where you can grow citrus so you could include a good lemon, lime, grapefruit, orange, or tangerine if you want. A couple of good pecan trees would give you some great pie nuts. You can also get some awesome plums and figs in your zone. Although what you plant might be designated by the type of soil you have.

Honestly, I'd take soil samples from various parts of your property and have the local extension office test them to see what fruit and nut trees would do best in your property.
  • Jessica Kerry Mack
    9 years ago
    Here's a link for a company that has good pecan trees: http://www.basspecan.com/Pecan-Trees/folder/41
  • Jessica Kerry Mack
    9 years ago
    It's always best to order trees that were grown under similar conditions to those locally - most of the companies I do business with are further north than you, but a google search found this company in texas that sells orchards http://www.leggcreekfarm.com/orchards.html
  • johnfam
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    There are pecan trees on the adjacent property/ that could be an option. I was thinking about throwing in a couple of pines to add dimension - do you think that would look good or is there another option you think is better? I may put a small orchard on the side yard (like 4 trees)
  • Jessica Kerry Mack
    9 years ago
    Oh and here's your bonus tip for the year - if you do find a tree with mistletoe out in a rural area outside city limits - the way to harvest some to use for Christmas decorations is to use a shotgun! Hitting one of those clumps dead center should cause it to drop enough to make a small 'kissing bundle'. Do not try this method in town for obvious reasons!
  • Jessica Kerry Mack
    9 years ago
    Mixing your pines and other trees is a good idea. Folks in the deep south learned about the problems with having single plantings when the cotton boll weevil hit them. Having a mixed grove helps produce healthy trees. Again this is why you need soil tests and a discussion with a professional arborist.
  • johnfam
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Well maybe I can fit more fruit trees- maybe 2 rows of 8 could fit there
  • Jessica Kerry Mack
    9 years ago
    You're also far enough south to add some evergreen magnolia trees to the mix if you desire.
  • johnfam
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Good advice! So here's my thoughts the - loblolly pines (or whatever the faster growing pines are called along with some montezuma cypress (which supposedly is faster growing) and maybe a couple sugargum near edge and out of walking distance. Then those fruit treason the sides
  • Jessica Kerry Mack
    9 years ago
    The fruit trees come in 3 different sizes - dwarf, semi dwarf and full sized based on the root stock the plant has been grafted to. Additionally you can purchase grafted trees that have more than one type of fruit. Here's a place in California that sells multi-budded trees http://www.davewilson.com/product-information/category/multiple-budded-fruit-trees
  • Jessica Kerry Mack
    9 years ago
    Here's a good book to read before you make too many plans: http://www.amazon.com/The-Backyard-Orchardist-Complete-Growing/dp/0963452037
  • PRO
    Thomas Decks, LLC
    9 years ago
    Very true Jessica.....and my family and I found this out by accident as well. At my previous home near Chattanooga TN, I had 49 pine trees in the yard....first the weevils hit and lost 4 100 year old pines. Then the tornados hit in 2011 and lost another 17. Cleared out the stumps and replanted oaks, dogwoods, cedars, and juniper. Due to acid from the pines and limestone in the ground..all of the trees have perked up, fattened up and have rooted pretty solid. I love all of the trees there now!
  • curbgirl
    9 years ago
    Call your County Extension Office for trees that are successful in your location.
  • Jessica Kerry Mack
    9 years ago
    Thomas Decks - I have a lot of friends who live either in Chattanooga or Ooltewah, TN. Sorry to hear you lost mature trees - but it sounds like you did a great job replacing them.
  • PRO
    Thomas Decks, LLC
    9 years ago
    We did, and lived right up the road from Ooltewah in Cleveland. Beautiful area!
  • johnfam
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    How far will pine roots spread? Just wondering because there is a gas line I have to be aware of as well
  • User
    9 years ago
    I am a Master Gardener in zone 9. I highly recommend selecting natives trees with the help of your local Extension Office for your county. In addition to zone, soils will have a big impact on growth rate and survivability. On of my favorite fast growers in actually a shrub, Bottle Brush. Bonus is that hummingbirds and butterflies love it. No need to consult an arborist for this. Head to a local nursery. They will also know what grows well and will likely purchase from local or regional sources. They will likely also provide a planting service. Tip: if you can choose between a larger or smaller specimen, generally choose small. It will likely adapt to its new surroundings faster and put on growth sooner, than a larger tree.
  • johnfam
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Bottle brush do grow quite fast. I am in tx and it froze for 2days a few years back and my young bottle brush died. Do you think that is typical of bottle brush or was it due to them being newly planted?
  • johnfam
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Do you happen to be in Texas zone 9?
  • Jessica Kerry Mack
    9 years ago
    No - I'm in Virginia but I took the Master Gardener classes when I lived in Mississippi so I'm a little more familiar with the deep south stuff than others in VA would be.
  • johnfam
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Well on one of my posts someone mentioned ash, birch, cherry and maple trees. I always had thought ash trees were fairly short lived and weak wood. I would love to create a pretty array as well I just thought being in east tx in a zone 9 that it wasn't really a possibility. Are there certain maple and ash that are easy growers, hardy and live longer?
  • Jessica Kerry Mack
    9 years ago
    Yes, some maples are better for landscaping than others for instance silver maple are known for dropping branches and eventually splitting, while sugar maples tend to last decade after decade despite being tapped. I'm more familiar with maples and ash in a much farther north zone (NW Pennsylvania). Ash may not be a good choice currently in some parts of the country due to the Emerald Ash Borer, an invasive insect, which is making short work of them in certain areas. I suspect red maples would do well in your area and they are known to grow relatively fast in comparison to other maples.
  • Jessica Kerry Mack
    9 years ago
    One thing to consider - do not plant trees too close to one another. You can use hose, string, or other things to lay out a circle on the ground showing the anticipated mature size of the tree to give yourself a better idea of how far apart to place them so they don't overshadow one another. http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/how-to/intro/0,,605171,00.html
  • kkl5
    9 years ago
    Consider small fruit trees, like an apricot. Gorgeous spring blooms and fall color. Lovely fruit to use. Nice pattern of limbs for the winter. Or citrus, which is evergreen.
  • PRO
    MRC Landscape Architecture
    8 years ago

A few suggestions:

1. Avoid fast growing trees if at all possible. You are asking for problems in future years.

2. Avoid a monoculture of a single tree species so that if a disease or insect begins to hit a certain species of trees you will not loose all the trees if you plant a single species.

3. Consult with a landscape architect and an ISA Certified Arborist on both existing trees and future trees.

4. Stick with native trees to the area. Utilize your state's extension service's bulletins or publications to identify the trees. Also, any of the tree books by Michael Dirr are a great resource on trees.

Sponsored
Urban Upkeep LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Franklin County's High Quality Painting Expert