Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
danielleborkowski

HELP... Don't know where to start with living room

I don't know where to start with decorating my living room. HELP!!!!!
1.The pieces that are staying for sure are the walls and carpet, light sage, and the couch , an oatmeal color. And the TV. These were just added)
2. I was thinking I want to do some sorta of balloon gathered type of shades on the bay window and long curtains on the other window with wall art on the sides. (Example pictures attached along with a photo of my living room as it is now)
3. I want to replace the two chairs but not sure if I should do a pattern or solid.
4.Maybe an area rug under the coffee table area.
5. I want to replace the coffee table but I don't have an idea yet.
I don't know where to start. I don't know what colors to choose. I don't know how to mix and match patters, solids,textures. And I'm not even sure my list above is even on the right track.

Comments (46)

• PRO
    flair lighting
    9 years ago
    more pictures of the room itself please. all angles all sides. the tv is very troublesome here.
  • Danielle Borkowski
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Here are 2 panoramic views.... Front door, living room, dining room, kitchen.
  • misfoursir
    9 years ago
    My question is always first, what type of look are you going for? Right now chairs look very outdated. I would go with a pattern. Pick a fabric that you are drawn to or love. You'll find your colour palette will pop out of that. Balloon drapes are very 1980s. Your seating area by the bay window is competing with the couch. Couch where it is is very choppy. Not very feng shui. I would repurpose it all. To create one large seating area. I agree with the previous coment about tv being in the wrong area. Consider putting it on the side wall beside the window.
  • PRO
    flair lighting
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    i totally agree, it was my first thought, we need to see whats around the corner and standing from the chair wall back. right away i think the couch should be brought in to the end of the pony wall, the chairs turned. it and the tv on the wall to the left where it is now. then create a second social seating area, in front of the island.
  • everdebz
    9 years ago
    @Flair lighting, now nice it would be to 'see' into these spaces! There's a person seeking advice to lighten her new townhouse which has a burdensome stone fireplace - I thought spots over it?? Can you look?
    https://www.houzz.com/discussions/my-new-home-after-hurricane-sandy-help-with-decorating-dsvw-vd~1263917
  • PRO
    flair lighting
    9 years ago
    @everdebz, i went over there...but she needs to start w the basics first.
  • Dar Eckert
    9 years ago
    It looks like the lovely bay is the best feature of the room and that should be the focal point. Ideally, the sofa should be directly across from them but it looks like you may be short of space to do that. What are the dimensions of the room?
  • PRO
    Sandy G. ltd.
    9 years ago
    groveraxle is right. Agree with everything he said. Looking forward to seeing all 4 walls!
  • Danielle Borkowski
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Ok. Haha. I'm new at this type of stuff. Clearly I have no clue. .. I will retake some pictures when I get home tonight. And thanks everyone for helping. I need all of can get.
  • Danielle Borkowski
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    @misfoursir no clue what "type" I like. I'm bad at this and don't know the terminology. I would guess traditional. I love pier one if that helps.
    @dareckert 15'6" by 18'5".
  • groveraxle
    9 years ago
    HI, Danielle. Thanks for the photos; they help a lot. The placement of the kitchen peninsula and the bay window make the room a bit awkward, but I think we can come up with a better furniture arrangement. As it is now, the chairs and sofa don't relate to each other and the chairs can't see the TV. I'm guessing you rarely use them, so I think they need to move out of the bay and sit facing the wall with the small window. I would also take the TV out of the corner, lower it, and put it on one wall or the other, probably the left wall so it's not the first thing you see when you enter the house. You can put it on a swivel or articulating mount so it can be positioned for best viewing.

If you move the TV and its console to the left wall, you can put a large piece of art of the the right wall, to the left of the bay.

The sofa table is too short. I would replace it with one about 3/4 the length of the sofa, and with legs so it has less visual weight and doesn't overpower the couch.

There is too much small stuff in the room and it contributes to a cluttered look. If you get a longer, sleeker sofa table, put just a couple of framed photos and maybe a bowl or candlestick on top. Leave most of the surface bare.

The other clutter-y part is the coat tree and shoes. Is that a tiny entry closet to the left of the armoire? If not, perhaps a larger armoire with room for coats and shoes would serve.

Curtains hung ceiling to floor will soften the little window to the right of the door.
  • PRO
    Sandy G. ltd.
    9 years ago
    When you come in the front door[s] and look into the space, the furniture, artwork, accessories should all work together in a logical, balanced way.

This space is a challenge and you will be getting many solutions on this site. A word of support here - be patient with this process because it might take lots of trial and error to get it right for you!

The placement of the TV should probably be addressed first. It is in the right corner now. It would be better though to place it on the wall to the right of the small window. Cables might be a challenge if the cable outlet is on the bow bay window wall, but that is solvable - run the cable cords along the floor and camouflage them. Now, the bay window wall is cleaned up and the TV has taken a back seat to it.

What is on the wall opposite the bay, and behind the kitchen? Center the dining set under the chandelier.

Use the bay window to showcase one of your cabinets. Bring out the chairs, as groveraxle suggested, and face them towards the TV. Move your sofa closer to the bay.

Or, it might work to place the sofa opposite the TV, centered on the bay window. You could place a chair on each side of the TV + cabinet and pulled in and angled a little so it relates to the sofa, making a conversation area that is further defined by an area rug.

If that is a coat closet by the stairway, use it for coats, etc. and eliminate the coat tree. Any rug you place inside the door should span both doors. The armoire could be moved and replaced by a very large piece of art with an narrow console or shelf below it. It feels like you would bang into the armoire with the entry door if you were not careful.

However, if you are having a party during cold or inclement weather and need a place for guests to put their coats, you could use the coat tree for their things. It would be more like a piece of sculpture, left empty, most of the time - but convenient when needed.

It would really help if you could gather up all of your accessories and remove them for now.

So, here you have our first pass over your space. Do any of these ideas feel right?
  • groveraxle
    9 years ago
    I had to replace some of your furniture because yours wasn't pointing the right way, but this is how I would arrange the room. I added a longer sofa table and very simple decor on top with more visual weight, a piece of art on the back wall, a big plant in the newly vacated bay, curtains on the window by the TV. I also put your TV components inside the cabinet where they belong.
  • PRO
    flair lighting
    9 years ago
    Yep thats exactly how i laid it out above in my floor plan. hopefully the tv is on a swivel base! but this is truly the best layout.
  • Danielle Borkowski
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Holy crap! That is awesome! For some reason my brain just couldn't visualize anything. So that layout picture is just what I needed to see what you guys were saying.
    It looks soooooo much better like that. It's crazy how my mind just had a block I'm trying to put that together.
    I clearly do not have that skill. Ha.

Thank you thank you thank you.
  • Danielle Borkowski
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    What would you do with the bay window? Only have a plant in it?
  • groveraxle
    9 years ago
    Danielle, that would be the next dilemma. LOL

Seriously, move the chairs out and take another photo of the room, and maybe a second one with a good shot of the empty bay. Sandy G. suggested one of your cabinets could go there, perhaps the one behind the sofa now.
  • Danielle Borkowski
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Ok so pretend the TV is above the TV Stand And the table behind the couch is longer and the ugly chairs are cute and all the cords for the TV are cleaned up.
  • sandradclark
    9 years ago
    I think your window coverings should be the same in the whole room. If you locate the TV above the credenza on the wall to the right of the small window, you should have a good view from your dining table and the sofa if you move it to face the TV. I agree about the sofa table. You will need a couple of lamps on it. An area rug will pull the look together. Buy two easy chairs with either color in them to match the drapery and/or the area rug. Do add art, plants and books. You will have a lovely large great room.
  • Danielle Borkowski
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Ok. How's this starting to look?... My question is, as a non designer of course, is are the chairs and bay area table too much of a straight line?
  • PRO
    Sandy G. ltd.
    9 years ago
    So much to comment on! And, thank you for getting on this and posting pix! Never hesitate to ask questions! Ever! We are here as coaches to help you get to your goal - a lovely home that works for you!

Lines. Lines are good because they work like dogs in balancing an area. So the chairs should be centered on the bay window. Then, push the sofa closer to the chairs. Here is a nice example of how an area rug would ground this grouping and let your brain relax into understanding what is going on. This will begin to develop logical flow throughout the space.

You will see clearly defined areas - entrance, kitchen, living room, dining room. When everything is in it's best placement for you, there will not be any feeling of unease or questioning your choices. The space will flow effortlessly without a second thought about this or that.

Lamps. The lamp shade size is determined by the perimeter of the table. Now the lamp on the chest in the bay is not working. It looks like it is about to fall off and is just too big. It would be better on the round table, as you have had it before. Maybe try this table and lamp at the end of the sofa by the wall for now?

Tall candle holders. These guys are lost now. Place them on a slim wall that needs a little something, with a piece of art - maybe the art that is sitting on the floor by the TV?

New pieces. You will have to address the area behind the sofa and the bay window once the conversation area is settled. Also needed is an area rug.

By the way, as you add new pieces, furniture, accessories, etc., keep "flow" in mind. Homes are organic and should be refreshed from time to time . . . move things around - try placing pieces - large or small -, old or new, in different spots.
  • PRO
    Sandy G. ltd.
    9 years ago
    Some rugs. Is there a rug here that would be closest to one you could live with? They are all on the darker side because your room needs contrast and can handle a dramatic one. Which style? Any colors that interest you? Just looking for a direction to go. . .

They are all from Overstock.
  • smudge2011
    9 years ago
    We are almost finished remodelling our master bedroom and ensuite. We are very pleased with the coastal feel as it reminds us both of our honeymoon in Cape Cod 37 years ago.

I have two questions. My husband has to use CPAP machine to breather properly at night (helps me sleep, too, as it dramatically reduces his snoring). However, it is a piece of medical equipment that is always in view on top of the dresser. I am looking for suggestions to hide it that still allows it to function at night. Oh the joys of growing old together!

My second question has to do with the one empty corner. A chair would be nice, but have not seen something that fits in with the coastal feel. I would welcome suggestions.
  • PRO
    Sandy G. ltd.
    9 years ago
    So smudge, are you sure you are in the right place here? How did this happen or are we sharing threads now?
  • beachlily
    9 years ago
    Smudge....probably need to start your own thread but here are my two thoughts.

1- Hide CPAP in a wicker basket. Coastal yet functional.

2- corner chair...again, small scale wicker with soft cushions and cozy throw placed over one arm.

Hope this helps.
  • smudge2011
    9 years ago
    Sorry, first time posting and I messed up. Have reposted correctly, but don't know how to remove this.
  • Danielle Borkowski
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Sandy, I LOVE the 1st rug (the flowers and the colors just not too sure the man of the house would go for it. He might but I have a feeling he will say the flowers are too girly, but he would like the colors.)
    Would it look weird if the rug doesn't have any green in it even though the walls and carpet at a light green hue? Or does that not matter?
    And the other 3 rug colors and styles I don't like. Not our style at all.
  • PRO
    flair lighting
    9 years ago
    ok, so im wondering if the couch could go where the chairs are now? maybe pushed to where the bay window starts, and the chairs on the other side? is this too cramped. trying to figure out how to address the bay window. and if we leave it as it should the TV then go on the wall beside the bay window maybe. or we could angle the sofa and have the chairs flank either side.........
  • abbyjean
    9 years ago
    I would love to see the couch angled toward the tv and centered with it and a chair on each side of it. The back of the sofa would be where the edge of the baby window is, on the right side? Will have to see if there is room for it that far back, but then the one chair would fit/sit nicely with one part of the window.
  • abbyjean
    9 years ago
    Do the chairs swivel? Sorry if I missed that.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    9 years ago
    Room is hard to work with. Does TV have to be in this room. If so move and sit on media to wall by window. Don't angle as is now. I would put a sectional in here. With back to dining area. A left hand chaise to run by bay window. Looking at TV. Add 2 swivel chairs to other side . Looking at bay. Get a big square dark wood coffee table. 36" add roman shades to all windows.. Sofa a fabric in a soft gray. Chairs in a print. Using gray with some sage from walls. Shades in a darker sage. Float sectional in room more to fill that area. Remove table by door replace with a big Palm in a ceramic pot. Put table where tall cabinet is now. Center on wall add a big round 45" mirror over it hang 7-8" above table. Go a more industrial bar stools in metal. Add accessories to coffee table. TJMax a good source.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    9 years ago
    Remove my coat RK. Does nothing for room. .
  • groveraxle
    9 years ago
    Yesssssss! Danielle, now we're cookin'. Remove the lamp from the bay window. Try your tall, skinny candlesticks there. Move the chairs a bit toward the TV console, almost forming a corner with the couch.

A longer sofa table would be great.

I'm not a fan of rugs on carpets, and I don't think you really need one here. Besides, your chairs are kind of an odd color, so finding a rug to coordinate might be a trick. BTW, the chairs aren't awful and they look awfully comfy, so I wouldn't be too anxious to replace them if you have other things to buy first.

The room is looking really good, on its way to awesome.
  • groveraxle
    9 years ago
    If you do decide on a rug and new chairs, coordinate them before you buy. Here are a few looks for you, from monochromatic to very lively.
  • PRO
    Gray & Walter, Ltd.
    9 years ago
    The room is spacious, so you can add more furniture adjoining the sofa for TV viewing. The two chairs could be moved to accompany the sofa or you could purchase two more chairs. I would stay away from doing gathered balloon shades as I don't think that aesthetic works. Perhaps waterfall roman shades would be better. Tailored is better in this case. As for a cocktail table goes I would veer to something that is low and padded, perhaps a large square or circular ottoman with or w/o wood legs. Hope this helps. It wouldn't hurt to engage a local professional for a consultationt so you get the sizes correct if you purchase these items on your own.
  • meral
    9 years ago
    gray sofa in the first image and the second image collage carpet better
  • PRO
    Sandy G. ltd.
    9 years ago
    Thank you groveraxle!

And thank you Danielle for letting us know which rug hits some of the mark. That tells us a lot about your style choice. Transitional.

Of course this is not the perfect rug palette-wise, but it moved us a little further down the road.

Still need to work on finding a rug! What did your hubby think about the 4 rugs above? If the one you liked is not a "go", other options might include a stripe or random geometric. Go on line and look at what is available?
  • everdebz
    9 years ago
    I plain like throws - and they combine colors in easy way...
    are your chairs honey-colored?
    Home Tweed Throw - Gold/ Brown (50x60") product details page · More Info
  • Danielle Borkowski
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    @abbyjean, the dinning room wood floor starts inside the bay window so the couch can't go back that far.
  • Danielle Borkowski
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    And no the chairs don't swivel but we are replacing the chairs for sure. I'm just trying to get the arrangement figured out 1st and want I need to but to make it work.
  • Danielle Borkowski
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    @nancytravisinteriors yes the TV has to be in this room. The TV will be moved one way or the other and will not be on the angle it is now but right now we are just figuring it out before we start drilling more holes and patching old holes. The couch is new so that piece is staying.

I thought dark wood coffee table too. Thanks your input helps great ideas for the entry way.
  • Danielle Borkowski
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Coat rack is only temporary until we get the closet fixed.
  • Danielle Borkowski
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    @flairlighting, @groveraxle, @sandyg.itd.
    Here are we more arrangements... I tried to remove all the decor and accent stuff so we can just work on arrangement 1st. I feel so overwhelmed. Ha. I'm super ADD and get flustered easily with too many options to think about.
    Thanks everyone for the input and being patient and helpful.
    Clearly I need it.

Ps the TV will be moved once I figure out the righy arrangement.
  • Janet Woods
    9 years ago
    I liked it better the other way - groveraxle's picture from 18 hours ago.
  • appytrails
    9 years ago
    Here's a second vote for groveraxle's rendition from 18 hours ago. I like the couch with the longer sofa table to your left as you enter, and the two overstuffed chairs facing the TV., a nice painting on the "new" blank wall. The bay area is not quite there yet, but almost there.