Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
allison_mckibbon

Pillow help!! Need help deciding on pillows for family room.

Allison McKibbon
9 years ago
We just got a new rug. It is blue and ivory and had a heavy pattern. Our couches are a deep tan almost golden tan. The floors are dark laminate and the walls are a light tan. I am wanting to tie and being the colors all together. I would love to add an accent color but not sure what would be best and if should avoid a patterned pillow since rug is patterned. We don't want it to be too busy. I love our current pillows but it does feel like a lot going on at the moment, looking for color suggestions and even direct links if possible to suggestions. We would like to get 4 pillows under $140 and have them be 18 x 18. Thanks!

Comments (56)

• PRO
    Tumblewood Designs
    9 years ago
    I'd try to do a solid blue and lime green if you want another pop of color
    Allison McKibbon thanked Tumblewood Designs
  • Allison McKibbon
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Yes, I would like a pop of color!
  • Allison McKibbon
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thoughts on these? Just wanting it to look the best but bring in another color.
  • PRO
    Tumblewood Designs
    9 years ago
    yes I think these are a step in the right direction...The blue might be a little dark if you're wanting it to match the rug. Orange would be a great pop of color though. Have you considered buying fabric and sewing a pillow cover that is exactly what you want?
    Allison McKibbon thanked Tumblewood Designs
  • dommatt1
    9 years ago
    you could add a pop of color with one of these pillows and there are more to choose from at caramoulds.com
  • PRO
    flair lighting
    9 years ago
    the navy does not come through on your pillows. the stripes dont really work.
  • Allison McKibbon
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    @flairlighting when you said top did you mean the gray one or a different pillow in your post?
  • leelee
    9 years ago
    Since sofa is beige--skip beige pillows. Try putting the feet of your sofa and love seat on the rug like this.
    Allison McKibbon thanked leelee
  • dommatt1
    9 years ago
    I like what you have chosen...You could also buy covers for your existing pillows on sofa...i never like the pillows that come with a sofa...Ikea always have reasonably priced pillow covers. you could go with a fun stripe with various colors...the sky is the limited http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10259070/ take look through ikea throw pillows
    Allison McKibbon thanked dommatt1
  • bodaman
    9 years ago
    You need to pull the blue up to the sofa.
  • Allison McKibbon
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    It is up to the sofa just not under the legs to help with the distribution with the awkward space to the fireplace and the leather chair. The leather chair is where it is to help with seating and not to block the sliding glass door.
  • Maggie
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    I just love these shaggy cozy pillows; they come in many different colours; would go with blue, white or cream; they look amazing and are really good quality; won't make the room feel too busy and will complement the carpet and sofa nicely; they also come in rectangular shape;
    http://www.urbanbarn.com/product/mongolian+square+toss+cushion+-+skyfall.do?sortby=ourPicks&refType=
  • Allison McKibbon
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Rust orange and a blue with a rugged tan edge
  • clfeldner
    9 years ago
    Check out the beautiful high-quality down throw pillows in designer fabrics, at affordable prices at http://franklindown.com/.
  • PRO
    flair lighting
    9 years ago
    thinking your should turn your rug the other way and bring that chair closer to the conversation area! love the burnt orange. but i still think you need some print.
  • Allison McKibbon
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Flair lighting the chair cannot be moved. I'll post picture later it is due to the door and the room set up. Do you have any suggestions? You mention print and not liking current so wondering if you have examples of what you think is best, thanks!
  • PRO
    flair lighting
    9 years ago
    is the tv on the wall by the FP?
  • PRO
    flair lighting
    9 years ago
    ok then turn the chair to face the couch on the angle of the FP.. .... the rug seems lonely and just hanging out on it own....lol
  • dommatt1
    9 years ago
    If you like your pillows that you have on sofa now. Maybe just put a small, shor vase of floweres on your coffee table. Or add something to liven up the dark table.
  • leelee
    9 years ago
    coral coral
  • kellyhutman
    9 years ago
    I would paint that coffee table - easy as pie if you use milk paint. Once you choose your pillows - that could be a jumping off point for paint color.
  • leelee
    9 years ago
    Agree with flair, try turning the rug--both sets of sofa have feet at least 5" on rug. Show us a picture?
  • Valerie Turnell
    9 years ago
    I was just going to say; coffee table too dark for rug! Use some milk paint off white. I use Country Chic, one coat and like done. Do a little distressing on edges and add some bright flowers and vases. I like the blue and lime green cushions idea! Maybe find some nice material and sew your own. Oh yes, turn carpet for better positioning of sofas :-)
  • cecas
    9 years ago
    I absolutely love that rug!!! It would be a perfect for my living room. Would please tell me where did you purchase yours and/or how to get one like it or similar in colour?
    Thanks much!
    Allison McKibbon thanked cecas
  • Sue
    9 years ago
    Love your rug and your coffee table wood is lovely. I sure wouldn't slap paint on it. I would, however, put more of the sofa on the rug. Then add solid cream and orange pillows to the sofa. The cream brings the cream from the rug in and the orange gives you that splash of color. Good luck!
  • alwzrt
    9 years ago
    I love the blue and white cushions shown above in leelee's post. It would really bring the room together. Then maybe add one small cushion in a plain fabric in a bright colour like lime green or orange if you insist on more colour. I would put some art on the wall that is
    blue and white and tan with a hint of whatever colour you choose for the small cushion.
    If your budget is an issue purchase fabric similar to what is shown and recover your current cushions. It is very easy to do just cut into squares and sew or have a friend who sews do it for you. You probably could cover four cushions for under $20.00.
    I am a big lover of blue and white porcelain and some pieces would look fab in this room see attached pic
  • mdcathy
    9 years ago
    Definitely put some blue on the sofa---kind of agree that the table is too dark on that rug ---maybe put something blue on the coffee table? Chose some art work with some blue to bring the blue to the walls, too---right now it just does not fit with room at all but can see why you bought it---it is a lovely rug.
    Allison McKibbon thanked mdcathy
  • mdcathy
    9 years ago
    How about a blue throw on the sofa ?
  • Dawn Redmond
    9 years ago
    Get a throw to drape over an arm of the sofa in the pop of another color. You need a three solid blue pillows and maybe two in one print. Try a bowl, vase, or tray on your coffee table in the blue or your other accent color.
  • diyer59
    9 years ago
    Those pillows you have must go now that you bought that rug, they don't compliment each other. I'd suggest contacting a couple of pros for suggestions here. A lot more than pillows is needed.
  • bergmanld
    9 years ago
    While searching for flowering plants for a garden walkway, I read suggestions to look at the color wheel to find the opposite contrasting color as a color to make the whole pop. To use a bit of that color, here and there. You may consider varying the texture from what you have on other upholstery. I don''t know where you live, but I made large, medium wale corduroy, corded, envelope pillow cases for 22" pillow forms. The fabric was 24" square, the fabric is washable, and the pillows are big, squishy, comfortable, and the family uses them. Yours is a family room, so you may think of family's comfort. Fill your room with what you like.
    Allison McKibbon thanked bergmanld
  • Rhonda Wyche
    9 years ago
    Agree with throw on sofa, brightening coffee table with paint or accessories, and placing rug better for the space. Pillows could be of varying sizes, not all 18x18- nice to use stripe and print that compliment blue of rug
  • ralevras
    9 years ago
    I would go with solid blue pillows along with ones that have a geometric pattern.. You do not want the rug and pillows fighting with each other.. Nice rug :)
    Allison McKibbon thanked ralevras
  • Paula Lewis
    9 years ago
    You can make covers for your existing pillows.
    If you replace the pillow, look for some good feather pillow forms as they just look better and have that quality feel.
    And something blue on the coffee table.
    Perhaps of heavy glass.
    A large heavy jar to hold a candle or a chunk bowl or pretty blue somethings?
    Allison McKibbon thanked Paula Lewis
  • pearliekitty
    9 years ago
    Pillow cover from Etsy
  • Rhonda Wyche
    9 years ago
    B e-a-u-tiful!!!!!!!
    Allison McKibbon thanked Rhonda Wyche
  • gigirae
    9 years ago
    Gorgeous rug! I recommend orange or green pillows in a chevron or perhaps a stripe. I would stay away from florals - they will compete with the rug. Blues r too difficult to match so try a splash of color to lighten up the room! Enjoy!
    Allison McKibbon thanked gigirae
  • everdebz
    9 years ago
    JudyG had it in pillow of your 3: brown-ish, blue and white.
    Personally wouldn't choose blue and white rug with tan sofa-- do you have lots of white nearby, say in kitchen cabinets?
    Was it Natalie who said your coffee table is dark against rug, seems so.
    Either replace coffee table or rug or even cover couch with blue or white? Maybe be whitewashed, grey-brown lighter tone for table... trying to help.
  • alwzrt
    9 years ago
    I wondered too why anyone would buy that rug with that existing sofa....Like I said before
    some large blue calico porcelain urns, a blue throw and blue and white cushions. Blues
    are NOT hard to match as someone said...Bringing in another colour or those flowered cushions someone put up here would be too "dobby" that's a word I use for mismatched
    furniture.
    BET YOUR SORRY YOU EVER ASKED.....YOU SHOULD GO WITH WHAT YOU LIKE OR ASK
    A LOCAL DECORATOR COME IN FOR A 1 HOUR SUGGESTION SESSION. WOULDN'T COST THAT MUCH AND SHE COULD TAP INTO YOUR LOCAL RESOURCES TO HELP YOU FIND WHAT YOU NEED....OOPS sorry caps lock on.
  • everdebz
    9 years ago
    Allison, I apologize for anything of callousness that I said about my choices, and yeh, who am I to say? I get excited about what I think, and forget how to talk.... Sorry, Deb
    Allison McKibbon thanked everdebz
  • nyliret
    9 years ago
    The table is bring everything down. It is too close to the couch color. I agree with painting it a white or get one that is a much brighter color. Carpet is nice and the many samples shown above of pillow choices would making that selection much easier.
  • Allison McKibbon
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Lots of white nearby in the kitchen cabinents and the white brick fireplace. Won't paint te coffee table because love the dark for the dark floors and the top is a world map. Rug from wayfair. Loving the rust color and the blue pillows we currently have. Ideally looking for a blue pillow with cream/off white trim and keep the rust.
  • Janet Dewberry
    9 years ago
    Orange is a compliment color to blue. Pillows with both colors in the fabric would look nice. Also you can drape a throw over the corner of the sofa..
  • OldGrayMare
    9 years ago
    If you possibly have a West Elm store anywhere near, they have FREE design services....a designer will come out to your home (I send pics via email first), and you aren't obligated to buy anything.
    I got a lot of good advice doing this and she even brought out some pillow covers that were PERFECT for our sofa that helped tie the room together.
    Allison McKibbon thanked OldGrayMare
  • cmends
    9 years ago
    I have a busy blue rug and brown couch for spring and summer, here are the pillows I found. I ditched the ottoman because of my little one. The blue rug will be changed to a shag for winter.
    Allison McKibbon thanked cmends
  • dkvhaus
    9 years ago
    I'd opt for a mix of pillow patterns in blue & white.
  • PRO
    Gilmans Kitchens and Baths
    9 years ago
    I would add some brighter corals and blues. I would also look for print, but the print should not compete with the area rug. Perhaps you can look for pillows that have more texture, in lieu of print. Texture will add another dimension to the space in a subtle way.

Your seating is dark, so bringing in muted colors don't do anything for it. Hope this helps!

- Janis, GKB
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    last year

This is a formula I like for sofas. The pillows are sized larger than most offered at HomeGoods, but it looks more luxurious and frankly, with the larger sizes of sofas these days this works better. I purchase pillow covers off Etsy at great prices and then purchase the pillows locally.

I like the karate chop appearance so I purchase down pillows.....they're heavy but are so comfy.

Here is that formula carried out on a sofa. See below.

Pick a patterned pillow and then select two colors from the pattern for your remaining pillows.

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!