Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mikensuzi

Anyone have ideas for this backyard?

mikensuzi
11 years ago
last modified: 11 years ago
We would like to add the following: bbq / fire pit / putting green. Looking out to the left from the house, we have a patch of sod, a cement patio, and to the right, a mound of dirt we're thinking of putting behind a retaining wall. Other than that, we're open for any and all modifications and layouts!

Comments (30)

• Emily H
    11 years ago
    Do you have maybe a drawing of the entire space with dimensions? That may help get some ideas going for you. What a great project!
  • mikensuzi
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Unfortunately we don't have anything available right now. I was hoping the perspective of the pictures was enough. We would just like ideas at this point!
  • Manon Floreat
    11 years ago
    Hi, mikensuzi. I like the idea of extending the concrete patio to the left of the back door (third photo) and having a fireplace/bbq against the wall between you and your neighbors. If building/ fire codes allow it. Something along these lines, according to your tastes:

Modern Outdoor Fireplace · More Info

Traditional Patio · More Info

I think terracing the rear corner (the rear right in the first photo) in a way that the terracing feeds into the the new fireplace would also be nice. A couple of lawn chairs before the terracing would be a nice place to perch and enjoy your fabulous view!

The rest of the area, beyond the patio can be the putting green. Maybe a bench just before that patch of grass by the AC unit. So you have a place to sit between putts (I don't know a thing about golf - do people rest between putting sessions?)

I think you'll have to screen/disguise the AC unit. Something simple like this,, maybe:

House on a Hill · More Info

A fountain, plantings and or potted plants around it might be nice. Since it looks to be right off the garage, it could be a nice utility or potting spot.
  • PRO
    Michael Rosenberg Landscape Architecture
    11 years ago
    Shouldn't have poured the concrete before resolving the mentioned issues.
  • toniabaril
    11 years ago
    I agree a small retaining wall using the stacking bricks from home improvement store ending with a grouping of boulders or fountain would be a great focal point. You might find complementing brick to border the patio for a little character.

A free-standing pergola or triangle shade to get some privacy from close neighbors.
    http://pinterest.com/pin/235242780506274573/

A potting bench would be useful between the patio and a/c unit - definitely hide a/c unit with shrubbery or shutter.

Depending on sun/shade angle, geraniums or gardenias would be nice under the window. Here's an idea for your side yard - http://pinterest.com/pin/235242780506160804/

If you want a border along the fence a nice boxwood hedge trimmed about half fence height would be nice and then you won't block the great view.

There are more great ideas on pinterest.com Have fun!
  • susden
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    I also would extend the the concrete patio to the the left. I would do a built in kitchen with stone facing and connect a stone faced retaining wall with a seat cap for a sustainable herb , vegetable and flower garden. Depending on the height of the retaining wall , you could also do an invisible fall waterfall coming out of the retaining wall as well. I would put an overhang over the concrete patio with low voltage drop down lights and or an outdoor chandelier for over the dinning. Trellis around the ac unit. Add a potting bench or another cool piece against the garage wall Plant hydrangeas or semi shade planting under window. Break up the wall in photo 2 with colorful vines . build the fire pit and sitting area with the view beyond . The putting green I would make in an offset figure 8 with two holes with soft planting . I would not continue which appears to be texas privets along the rod iron fence. I would capture the view.
  • PRO
    Harmonish
    11 years ago
    See this.. u can make a corner hill like this one with lots of lights or make lotus pond as well...
  • PRO
    Harmonish
    11 years ago
    See this.. u can make a corner hill like this one with lots of lights or make lotus pond as well...,,...u can be in touch with me for more ideas on...manmeetsikka9@gmail.com
  • PRO
    Harmonish
    11 years ago
    See this.. u can make a corner hill like this one with lots of lights or make lotus pond as well...,,...u can be in touch with me for more ideas on...manmeetsikka9@gmail.com
  • PRO
    Harmonish
    11 years ago
  • PRO
    Harmonish
    11 years ago
  • PRO
    Harmonish
    11 years ago
  • PRO
    Harmonish
    11 years ago
  • PRO
    Bella Designs
    11 years ago
    what a great space! It has so much potential. i automatically feel "tuscany" sitting under a pergola of grape vines intertwined with stringed lights, wearing a little shawl and drinking a glass of wine with friends around the firepit by winter turned fountain in summer, having some ordeurves while awaiting our dinner. the bose speakers softly humming out Italian music which is occasionally drowned out but laughter....Oh i am so sorry i got so caught up, I thought i was actually there...LOL But I would seriously consider this theme... i believe it would be just beautiful!!
  • PRO
    Harmonish
    11 years ago
    thanks.....u seem to have gr888 imagination....let me know if u need any further help...
  • mikensuzi
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thank you everyone for your great ideas! We definitely agree with pretty much everything everyone has said and will take it into account when doing the final design! We absolutely LOVE the look and feel (and stone) shown at littlemissk's link.
  • mikensuzi
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    OK gang, here's the beginning of our backyard rendering. We've put the fire pit on the left, with the bar/BBQ on the right hand side. The rectangle in the far back right of the image is a fountain idea we had. All rock and stone would be similar to this backyard that we loved: http://www.houzz.com/projects/45540/Outdoor-Living-Room

Any additional thoughts? We are open for all feedback!
    PS - Shapes and sizes are estimates...I'm aware the putting green looks like crud!
  • littlemissk
    11 years ago
    Just a few thoughts -- Are you planning to use the existing concrete slabs that are already there on which to place your seating or will you expand the slabs outward a bit? Don't know the size but would suggest that you place furniture (whatever your intent is -- if you plan to purchase, borrow or rent if you have to, or get measurements and tape things off) before you do anything to make sure you'll have enough room to maneuver and to ensure it feels relaxed and not to closed in. Get dowels, cut them to the heights you're planning and place them in outline form around the patio. With all the hard, higher surfaces around the patio, and even tho the fire pit will be lower, you may find it very confining and not as open as you might wish. Always better to be very, very thorough with your homework b/f you go forward with built-ins. Also, one suggestion on the benches around the fire pit. You might think about putting a back on them or simply pushing out the hard surface and making it into a planting wall and then placing an L-shaped couch in front of it so that you can cozy up in the evenings. My personal opinion is that benches look rigid and uninviting and I've never seen anyone who sits on one look relaxed. On the L attached to the bbq and which faces towards the back, think about the purpose that this serves and if it's placement will make things more closed in since it appears you plan it to be counter height. Looks like you might have enough length to just place it in the same direction as the bbq and then place a low wall that matches the seating height on the opposite side to frame things better. One final observation. You may want to place the water feature by the fence so that it is on center with the opening to the patio so that everyone can enjoy it. It doesn't have to be tall to be effective, or it can be tall in the middle where you have the sheer descent and then have it drop down so that your view is not compromised.
  • mikensuzi
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Those are all great, insightful comments. In our minds, we want a cozy space, and we want a bar/table that people will enjoy sitting around. If you check out our ideabook for the backyard, we've found a bunch of BBQ areas that we love. The issue is we don't have the creativity to place them in our backyard! What you see in the rendering is our first stab at all the elements we want: BBQ/fire pit/putting green/fountain. After reading your comments and looking at our image, I feel as though none of the elements really jive with each other. We are hesitant to put backing on the fire out benches because they look too cumbersome...we're debating on opening up or rounding the bar into the middle of the patio. However, if we do that, then we eliminate the possibility of patio furniture (that we don't have right now). The fountain placement was a last minute add to replace a planter box idea off of the existing birm.

Just so everyone knows, the house came with the cement patio as is. We did not have an opportunity to customize it. We plan to add cement wherever the bar/BBQ/fire pit extends off the edge.
  • littlemissk
    11 years ago
    I understand about the contractor pouring the slabs. Fortunately, that's not a big issue because you can expand it if necessary in order to realize your vision. I may be able to offer you some additional ideas if you'd like. If you can provide the measurements for your backyard, the clearance between your home and the walls on both sides (paths of travel), and stand in the middle of the yard and take photos in each of the four directions, that would be helpful. Also what direction the back of your home faces (N/S/E/W) and the region in which you live (NW, W, SW, etc). Did the contractor stub out a gas line back there? Is your kitchen inside that closed back door (I'm assuming the open door in the photo is to the garage)?
  • mikensuzi
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Attached are additional images of our yard in its current state. The yard measures 36' wide by 28' deep. Yes, the kitchen is near the closed back door, and the open door leads to the garage. Based on when we grill, we really prefer the BBQ to be where it currently is. There are speakers already installed beneath the house overhangs, so we're ready to get started on an entertaining paradise!!
  • littlemissk
    11 years ago
    Problems with my software (conversion issues due to new operating system on my iMac and a move which lost my PC software and crashed the drive), so here's a rough, penned sketch (so actual placement will vary) which may help give you ideas for a great entertaining space.

Scale is 1/4" = 1'. I measured the 28' from the garage wall to your back fence, so you may have 2' less in length than what's shown here, width is 36'. If you like these ideas I can give you my rough measurements so you can outline with some white marking spray paint. I had to guess at house details (location of doors, windows, 90 degree angle where house juts out for garage and distance from house to walls on either side).

Because you have such a small backyard, I extended out concrete towards the side wall to fit the bbq and a work table so it's not in the path of travel coming out your backdoor (it looks like you will still have clearance to the wall so that it doesn't interfere with grading for water run-off, but remember I've guessed.

Added slab length to accommodate a seating area with a fire pit (assuming one of those attractive, above ground, copper units http://www.amazon.com/CobraCo-FB6132-Copper-Finish-Screen/dp/B000EVICOG).

Focal point, fountain, perhaps something like this whose diameter is about 4' is on-center with your back window: http://www.alsgardenart.com/ProductDetail.aspx?pid=LG134-F46&p=1

Table I've indicated here sits 4 but will accommodate 6 and your bistro set is on an additional 5X5 slab where you can sit, sip a glass of wine and be the peanut gallery. All in all, you could seat about 12 back there (table, couches and bistro).

I don't know what direction your back faces but it looks like it may be east given the shadows? If you have an eastern exposure or any exposure that gives you sun for a good portion of the day, you may want to have a few colorful market umbrellas (9' dia). I've indicated one, but other areas may be the dining table and over by the bistro.: http://www.amazon.com/California-Umbrella-GSCUF908117-5446-Sunbrella-Fiberglass/dp/B0072BCN9Q/ref=sr_1_3?s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1338484381&sr=1-3

Couple colorful umbrellas with a nice outdoor area rug under the lounge area, and it would look very inviting.

I've set aside enough space for this type putting green and given you enough room for perhaps a bench and some softscape: http://www.jumpusa.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=J&Product_Code=PUTTGREEN6&Affiliate=cse&cvsfa=1182&cvsfe=2&cvsfhu=50555454475245454e36

Cheers!
  • mikensuzi
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    WOW - that's a fantastic drawing! While I'm not a huge fan of the elements you chose (copper fire pits, fountain), I love the way you broke up the backyard. It definitely gets us thinking of different ways to use our space... Thank you so much for taking the time do to this for us. It might be back to the drawing for now!
  • littlemissk
    11 years ago
    Thank you. No problem. The fire pit and fountain were just placeholders as far as sizing in order to fit all the components you want into your yard. There are hundreds to choose from depending on your aesthetic and I certainly don't know you and what styles you like or wish to live with, but flow (paths of travel) and placement are the top things to think about. My background is in ornamental horticulture, art and interior design. A few years ago I managed a remodel of our home's public areas ($300K) and just recently redesigned our swimming pool and north garden. We've a 1/2 acre and lots to do! Good luck!
  • mikensuzi
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Here's the latest and greatest design; what do you all think?
  • PRO
    User
    9 years ago
    Hi!

Looking at the pictures of your garden, I think it would be appropriate to install a rolling bench.
    As you mentioned in your previous post, you would like to add a BBQ.
    The rolling bench will offer you enough versatility. For example, if you have some friends over for lunch you can easily move it around the table to create extra sitting.

Please find below a link to the website. Let me know what you think about it.

http://www.rollingbenches.com/

Best,

Amelie
  • PRO
    The Outdoor GreatRoom Company
    9 years ago
    Hi, mikensuzi, if you're looking for a fire pit or outdoor kitchen/bbq you can check out www.outdoorrooms.com. We specialize in fire pits, custom outdoor kitchens, pergolas, and have many dealers in your area that could do something custom for you if you wanted! We also have a photo gallery full of ideas on our site to help you get a better idea. Good luck!
  • mfwolfe
    9 years ago
    old post
  • kerzideabook
    9 years ago
    I'm seeing a natural looking hot tub & seating area & small pool, depending on yr budget , of course. Pot lights to highlight corners with large flowers or cacti . If rocks are yr native I would put a few key large ones & small with desert flowers bushes. Play on that great view you already have !
Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH