Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
noreenmeyer

cherry wood floors - what color paint and carpet (all trim in cream)

Noreen Meyer
11 years ago
re decorating an old english manor house. Leaving wood floors and cream windows,doors etc.
Trying to decide cream walls or grey. Carpet - off white or grey?
Also, looking to replace granite....

Comments (12)

• feeny
    11 years ago
    I'd go with gray walls for a contrast with the cream trim, but the rugs should be chosen based on your furniture as well as the walls (unless you are starting from scratch). Where is the granite? any photos? Cherry wood floors sound divine!
  • Noreen Meyer
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    I am buying all new furniture. The granite is in the kitchen which is easily seen from living room. I will try to upload pics.
    For the furniture I was thinking of neutral but, don't want to get too boring.
  • feeny
    11 years ago
    I'd probably choose a much lighter granite to contrast with the wood cabinets. Maybe something creamy that picks up the colors of your floor and backsplash tiles?
  • Noreen Meyer
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    the floor is being redone into the cherry wood. The granite I'm just trying to stay away from dark and golds. The backsplash will be re done as well.
    Do you think this is the right order?? Carpet paint granite - then pick furniture and windowcoverings. I'm a bit overwhelmed.
  • feeny
    11 years ago
    Yes, if the backsplash is going, I'd go less yellow and more cream or off white for both the granite and the backsplash. You keep mentioning carpet, but also wood floors. Are you putting in wall to wall carpeting? Or are you using area rugs? I'd probably pick out the granite first (choosing it based on the cabinets and tile floors), then maybe the large central rug for the living room, and then pull out a neutral color for the walls from (or in relation to) your rug. Then furniture colors and window coverings. But I'll be curious to see if others suggests a different order of decision making. I use antique oriental and kilim rugs, so I let their designs take center stage and make everything else neutral around them. So that determines the order of my decorating. Others may have different priorities.
  • Noreen Meyer
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Yes, I've been confusing. Kitchen floors will be hardwood. Carpet will be upstairs and in bedrooms. Concrete will not work as our home is very traditional.

I like your idea of picking the rug for theliving room where would i get a look at some of these? My compujter is acting funny but I will have a lookd at those ice counters. thanks
  • PRO
    Interiors Unleashed
    11 years ago
    I've had good success with deep strong colors and Brazilian Cherry flooring. I've used Pratt & Lambert Peacock hues of blue/greens and Pinecone Tan, Eucalyptus leaf and ochre yellows. Not sure what type of cherry flooring you are putting down.
  • PRO
    Interiors Unleashed
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    Polished concretes are not what you are thinking of, no doubt. They look like granites not basement floors. Ice stone makes many base/background colors and the products are very "green" earth friendly. Anyone reading this who immediately rules out concrete should take another look this stuff. They are shipped in slabs like granite and fabricated and polished by a granite fabricator. They are installed like granite and can have great depth like granite.

Here is Ice Stone concrete counter in traditional kitchen with concrete back ground color a moroccan red.
    Daniela Cottingham · More Info

Not trying to sell you on concrete counters just want to make sure you and others know concrete is an option for traditional kitchens.

Another traditional kitchen with Ice Stone concrete counters and walnut wood island top.
    Functional Environmentally Sensitive Kitchen · More Info
  • Shari P Kantor
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    Go with the order Feeny suggested--much less confusing that way. The cherry wood looks like it has a lot of orange to it, so an orange-based cream for the walls and furniture would be nice with orange, red and/or orange-based blue accessories. You could then add a good work of art like
    Shall We Dance? · More Info
    to unify the look. Another alternative for granite counters and floors can be found at http://glassrecycled.com.
  • Noreen Meyer
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    thank you for your comments - I knew I wanted some blue in there somewhere. I'm thinking cream walls.
    Any suggestions re furniture we have a 20 foot cream coffered ceiling with the cherry hardwood in the living room. I will try to upload a pic
  • Shari P Kantor
    11 years ago
    Cream walls with cream furniture and either one blue chair or chaise or blue throw pillows and work of art with blue and orange in it like "Free At Last" http://www.spkcreative.com/large-multi-view/gallery/1458581-6-13272/Painting/Acrylic/Animals.html#.T76kw2h970c. Because you have coffered ceilings, you could paint the interior an orange-based blue to make the detail pop.
Sponsored
TR Granite & Stone Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Countertop in Loudoun County, VA