Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
msandrs

Need help with awkward entrance and stair landing.

Mary
9 years ago
My entrance hall looks straight into our kitchen, and has a very awkward staircase landing that goes into the entrance hall and into the kitchen. I need advice how to decorate and make this more attractive and welcoming. Should I put something on the stair landing? Any advice on how to decorate would be much appreciated!

Comments (12)

• PRO
    Lights Online
    9 years ago
    I could see a very slender side table, like perhaps a demilune shape, working if pushed up against the wall on the landing. Having a picture already mounted above it is good! You could have a little vase of flowers on said table, maybe a bowl to keep keys and whatever gets in people's pockets, some pretty decorative objects, etc.
  • PRO
    Dytecture
    9 years ago
    This landing space looks fine as it is. Would be helpful to see more photos of the foyer.
  • PRO
    RealCraft
    9 years ago
    Hello msandrs! I love the openness of your space. However, if you wish to discretely conceal the view of the kitchen from the entry, I would recommend flanking one side of the landing with tall, healthy plants on the landing steps. It's hard to see how the kitchen space lays out, but perhaps a lightweight shoji screen with rice paper could help conceal while the view while maintaining the light and airy feeling in your home. It could double as a room divider or be used in other areas of your home if you get tired of it in the kitchen space. Also, browsing through home decor magazines may generate ideas. I hope this is helpful. Good Luck!
  • marilynellis
    9 years ago
    It's great the way it is. We all have this need to fill every space with something. Parkinson's law. Resist that need and leave it. You have a beautiful space
  • Irene Morresey
    9 years ago
    I think it looks fine how it is, maybe nice big mirror
  • Maureen
    9 years ago
    I would remove the smaller picture to the left of the one on the landing, change picture on landing to a barnwood mirror and place a wicker basket underneath with a shawl - to tie in with your kitchen decor and make that area interesting.
    [houzz=
    Rustic Barn Wood Mirror With Iron Hooks, 20X30 · More Info
    [houzz=
    Jacquelyne Rattan Angled Lidded Basket, Large · More Info
    ]
  • leelee
    9 years ago
    Don't feel that you need to decorate this landing. It will only call attention to it and make it seem more separated from the areas around it.
  • User
    9 years ago
    I don't think it looks awkward at all. I feel like anything you place there will get in the way.
  • hayleydaniels
    9 years ago
    From the picture, it doesn't look like it's wide enough to need anything else. You want enough room for people to comfortably walk through there without bumping into anything.
  • gnu36
    7 years ago

I am not a fan of the step risers painted stark white - could you paint them the same color as the wall? Same with the stair railing - lose the white, or maybe have it all wood color like the banister. I would move the potted plant elsewhere - it's too short - and remove the baskets from the top.of the refrigerator and all the stuff on the refrigerator doors. But really, if you did nothing it's okay.

• rocketjcat
    7 years ago
    Old post from 2014....