Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ashley_medrano

Perfect paint color for orange tone tile floor?!

Ashley Medrano
9 years ago
I just moved in to our new house and I am having a hard time deciding on a wall color to go with our floors. The floors are a very orange toned ceramic tile with a wood look design. I have been looking at warm gray colors or greige colors but finding the perfect one is difficult. I plan on painting most of our main downstairs all one color which includes 2 story foyer, living room breakfast nook and kitchen. The color on the walls now are a light beige color. I have sampled a few colors and all have undertones that clash with either the floors or my kitchen cabinets. The sample on the back splash is SW mindful gray but it looks so blue on certain walls and too green on others. Eventually I will replace countertops and copper back splash and possibly paint cabinets.
Any suggestions on colors to sample would be appreciated. Also any suggestions on cabinet paint color for future reference.

Comments (14)

• Jean Benelli
    9 years ago
    Gray will not work with this color floor. The floor and cabinets are warm colors, meaning colors from the side of the color wheel that are yellow, red and orange. Colors from the cool side of the color wheel are blue, and green. So you need to pick a color with warm tones. I recommend looking at a color wheel and you can see all the colors in the warm tones. I am sure you will find one you like. Or you can go with a complimentary color, greens or blues with a warm undertone. The more saturated the color the more dramatic the room will become. The lighter colors will bring out the contrast between walls and the dark cabinets and floor. changing the cabinet color will bring a whole other set of problems regarding paint color. So pick the color to go with the existing cabinets now and worry about new cabinet colors when the time comes.
  • groveraxle
    9 years ago
    Anything with a blue undertone is going to make the orange pop. I'm afraid my first order of business would be to install a new floor.
  • acm
    9 years ago
    I don't mind the floor or the wall color, but that copper backsplash would drive me batty! Perhaps you can pick one color for the rest of your house and leave this color in the kitchen until you're ready to renovate it more substantially. (Or are you saying that this flooring is everywhere? help!!)
  • smudge2011
    9 years ago
    Try Nantucket Grey by Benjamin Moore for wall paint. Have used it in our eat in kitchen family room where I was blessed with warm mid toned but orangey stained oak cabinets and an orange brick fireplace. Love the results and the combo has an enduring feel. Harks back to the Arts and Crafts era.
  • Ashley Medrano
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    yes this flooring is everywhere! One day I would like to put in wood floors but it's not in the budget at the moment.
  • PRO
    Shakuff
    9 years ago
    I would try a taupey color with reddish undertones, to pick up on the reds in the cabinets and copper backsplash. If you want more of a contrasting color vs neutral color look for more reddish undertones with only a slight hint of a yellow base.
  • Lynnie
    9 years ago
    You are right, the floor is very orange-beige so I would not go with a yellow because it would be over powering. I would not go with blue or gray. What I would go with a nice sage green.

Changing your cabinets to either white or a light cream would be very complimentary. Even breaking the cabinets up with part light and part green. Or you could go with a green backsplash, with your walls a very pale green, almost white.

Some examples:

Case Design/Remodeling, Inc. · More Info

Traditional Kitchen · More Info

Traditional Kitchen · More Info

Cooking Apple Green Estate Emulsion Paint · More Info
  • Natalie
    9 years ago
    Hi---yes, if you're wanting gray, it must be deep and not go toward the blue/green range...
    Check out SW's Mink, Warm Stone, and Backdrop. Hope this is helpful. Good Luck!

[houzz=
    Ramos Design Build Corporation - Tampa · More Info
    ][houzz=
    Richmond Residence · More Info
    ]
  • cpottmeyer53
    7 years ago

I suggest a cream wall color. It will go with anything you eventually redo and go in every room on your first floor.

• Ru Peter
    5 years ago

Such bad advise on this question. First of all, blue is the compliment to orange. Secondly, of COURSE you can do grey and orange. Google it for photos. But yeah, you need a new floor. Same boat, here - gorgeous expensive floor and very dated.

• PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    5 years ago

4 years old post.

• wacokid
    4 years ago

Too much celery

• freddi1
    3 years ago

You know you are not getting good advice when people don't realize that the colours opposite each other are COMPLEMENTARY not COMPLIMENTARY.

Sponsored
M&Z Home Services LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Established Home Remodeling Expert Since 2012