0

Silestone or Corian

Ariana Jinich
I can't decide between a siletone or a corian counter top for the kitchen. While the arquitect and the person who is selling the recommend me Corian, everyone else suggest Silestone. I can't make a decision!!!
Silestone
Corian
  • hayleydaniels
    I have a Corian bathroom countertop and sink, and the area around the drain has turned from an ivory color to almost a rust color. I have no idea what the problem is, and nothing removes it. I suspect it's in the material itself, not from anything we've done. The countertop is 16 years old, and this has been there for a good 10 years. I live north of Seattle if that has any bearing on anything.
  • acm
    I have a ten-year-old Corian bathroom counter+sink, and it looks as good as the day we bought it. Can't speak to relative wear in the face of, say, heat -- certainly, stone is more popular right now -- but it's certainly easy-care and usually quite a bit cheaper. I think I'd use it again in a bathroom, but would be more likely to put stone in my kitchen, which sees much more abuse.
  • adivra
    Good comments. I'm leaning toward Wilsonart solid surface for my bath reno, but know it's not as on as quartz or stone. Thanks for giving me confidence. The color/pattern is perfect for the tile and other materials I'm selecting, not to mention maintenance. I do agree that I wouldn't use it in a kitchen. Considered it and used stone instead.
  • Ariana Jinich
    Thanks a lot for all your advice!!
  • feeny
    If resale is a consideration, go with the Silestone counter as it will look more up to date. If price is the primary consideration, then Corian would be the better choice as engineered quartz can be pricey. Both are good, quite durable materials, though quartz is supposed to be more durable in the long run.
  • granny4five
    I have a 6 month old corian counter in my laundry. Scratches too much.

Need help with a Houzz order? Call us at 1-800-368-4268 (Mon-Sun)