Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
skiergirl378

Advice on using Marble for Bathroom vanity top - HELP

skiergirl378
9 years ago
I am in the process of picking out items for my Masterbath remodel.
New vanity and counter top, flooring and glassed in shower. I am torn between picking Granite or Marble for the vanity. I LOVE the look of the Marble, but am concerned about additional maintenance. Or should I stick with Granite because it is easier to take care of.

Do you have experience with using Marble for your vanity top, bathroom floor and/or shower walls? Please give me your advice.

Comments (16)

• PRO
    Kitchen & Floor Decor
    9 years ago
    I do not personally have marble in my bathroom, however I work for a dealer that sells marble. Marble does have some upkeep, like sealing to Prevent staining, however most granites need a sealant as well. What type of upkeep are you worried about having to maintain?
    skiergirl378 thanked Kitchen & Floor Decor
  • User
    9 years ago
    Hatetoshop, can you give us some examples of what it's like to live with all of that marble in your master; what you have to do to care for it and what problems you've had?
    skiergirl378 thanked User
  • intown123
    9 years ago
    I have marble on my shower floor, walls and slabs for shower bench. I have no problems, it is sealed (but I do wash my hair dye out in a different bathroom). The only annoying thing is that I have noticed some white pitting in the bench slab. I really like marble in bathrooms - I think you just have to do it with the idea that it may not stay pristine.
    skiergirl378 thanked intown123
  • skiergirl378
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thanks for the comments. I am concerned about staining the marble on the vanity counter top. And in the shower, soap and other products on the wall of the shower. I realize that a good sealer will help to keep the marble at its best. I have granite in other baths, and was looking for something alittle different for the Master.
  • hatetoshop
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    Marble etches (I think that's the term), but it can be buffed out. The thing that bothers me is that I've read you're not supposed to use bleach on marble. I'd like to clean the shower with VIM (contains bleach), but am a bit afraid to. Many personal care products (face wash?) contain things that mark the marble counter as well.

We squeegee the entire shower after use, but maybe others do that with regular tile? We have sealed it, but I do wish we didn't have it.
  • hatetoshop
    9 years ago
    Maybe I worry too much :)
  • Sheila Owsley
    9 years ago
    Never again. White marble in house I sold was stained by everything needed to look good.
    skiergirl378 thanked Sheila Owsley
  • User
    9 years ago
    I love the look, but it's probably not the right choice for me.
    skiergirl378 thanked User
  • User
    9 years ago
    Marble has been used for, dare I say, thousands of years. Unfortunately, the cosmetics, cleaners and other chemicals we now use have not been in use for that long. I would use marble very judiciously in anything other than a powder room..
  • skiergirl378
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thank you again for your advice. I am looking at a marble called: Crema Marfil. It is a creamy beige color. I would stay away from white as well, not sure if Crema Marfil would be any different though.
  • PRO
    Quality Bath
    9 years ago
    If you are okay with having granite, you'll be okay with marble as they
    require more or less the same level of upkeep (I am assuming you have
    had granite before because you say that it is easier to take care of)
    but if you compare marble to granite, marble is more porous and is
    softer (making it more prone to etching and staining.) Having it as the
    vanity countertop is okay but as flooring, be prepared for having to do
    regular maintainance to keep it looking pristine. I really do like the
    look of marble, especially crema marfil though. It's a timeless, stone
    that looks really great on black or white vanities.
    Design Element London Double Sink Vanity Set in Pearl White 72" · More Info
    Design Element Imperial Double Sink Vanity Set 60" · More Info
    skiergirl378 thanked Quality Bath
  • skiergirl378
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thanks for the input. I am going to stick with the marble for the vanity top only, and think it will be fine. I got my inspiration from numerous photos from Houzz, where they used Crema Marfil throughout the entire bathroom. Maybe they were 2nd homes and did not see as much traffic as others.
  • PRO
    Fidelity General Contractors Inc.
    9 years ago
    in the picture attached: AGO ALBA VERA POLISH 3"x6" for all bathroom's walls using non sanded grout "Delorean Gray"
    With minimal ornamentation, simple lines with trendy details, such as modern freestanding 6 foot tub, modern chrome fixtures, fixed glass panel, rainfall shower-head, combined with timeless Alba Vera polished tiled marble, white solid wood vanity and marble counter top are some of the finishes, that update this elegant west LA bathroom space.

Karen
    Fidelity GC
  • PRO
    Quality Bath
    9 years ago
    Great decision. If you ever need bath items, whether vanities or hardware, feel free to check out the site or call us. I hope you post on the Before and After section once you're done with renovations. Good luck :)
    skiergirl378 thanked Quality Bath
  • PRO
    Cinar Interiors, Inc.
    9 years ago
    Marble is beautiful but it will etch and stain easier than granite. Sealers help protect the stone but do not make them stain proof. Be sure to use a solvent based sealer vs water based. Solvent based is stronger and will repel the oils in your soaps better in the long run vs water based. If you spill your toothpaste, clean it up quick. Toothpaste is one of the most common products that will stain your vanity top in the bathroom whether it's sealed or not.
    skiergirl378 thanked Cinar Interiors, Inc.