Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
michele_kohari

How high should sconces be mounted and how do I know how many I need?

Michele Kohari
11 years ago
I have a 7-foot alcove with a sink and make-up vanity. I would like to mount the sconces on the side walls instead of the mirror. Will two sconces each with 60 watts be enough with recessed lights overhead? How high should they be and does it matter if they are up or down facing?
Alexandria Residence · More Info

Comments (4)

• PRO
    Custom Home Planning Center
    11 years ago
    60 watt or LED equivalent is not enough and down light from recess cans is stark. My suggestion is build a frame of flat 2x 6" shorter and narrower than the mirror your going to use. Cover it with 1/2" plywood. Run LED strip lights (see site) on the outside edge of the 2 x frame facing out. Run your low voltage supply to the lights and set the transformer on the back wall of the vanity where you have added a duplex. This will float the mirror and give your uniform reflective light for make up and such.

http://www.environmentallights.com/led-rope-and-strip-lights/led-strip-lights/single-color-led-strip-lights.html
  • Hillary Moers
    9 years ago
    I like them facing up and a little lower.
  • PRO
    Custom Home Planning Center
    9 years ago
    Facing up is better than down. It still is not enough lumins to properly light a face for make up or shaving.
  • PRO
    Design Intervention
    8 years ago

Master Bath Remodel · More Info

A good rule of thumb when hanging a wall sconce is to have the middle of the fixture sit 60 inches above the floor. Every scenario is different and when hanging a wall scone, it is important to find a level that will allow the majority of the people in the particular space to enjoy the lighting from their normal positions, without suffering from the glare of an exposed bulb. If the room is used generally for sitting like a dining room, then it is best to place the sconce at a position whereby the majority of people sitting in that room cannot see the light source (bulbs) and suffer from glare. It is always important to place it comfortable as it relates to your eye level.