Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sanmonte

Ceiling Height 10 or 12 feet?

sanmonte
11 years ago
We are designing our new home and have no idea how high to make the ceilings. the plan is 4600sf under air and 7200sf under roof. spanish med style. right now we have 10 ft ceilings throughout. we stepped them up to 12 feet in the master bedroom and study. and our family room is double volume 22 ft i believe. it is an open floor plan 5 br with a second floor that has 3br and 2 bath. (for our kids) at 9 ft ceilings.

is there a recommended ceiling height based on room size? is 10 ft appropriate or should we go with 12 ft? will 12 feet significantly increase building costs? will 12 feet significantly increase cooling costs? we live in Tampa so we are not too concerned with heating costs as we do not use heat that often.

thanks

Comments (12)

• Laurie Krauss
    11 years ago
    My suggestion would be to go and look at homes with different ceiling heights. If the ceiling is too high, while the room may look good, it may feel uncomfortable and people don't know why. Psychologically, we humans actually don't like living in places with huge ceilings. 8 foot ceilings are very low. In Australia it is not the norm, and while it reduces building costs, it can make a house very claustraphobic. 9' is a nice height. I would not choose 22' high in your family room. Personally I feel it is too high and as the family room it will be 'very lived in'. My family room ceiling is 10' (so is all the ground floor of the house) and the height is very comfortable.
  • PRO
    Dytecture
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    I agree with Mona Ives. I like to play with change of ceiling height from 9 feet to 12 feet since it provides some interest and spatial definition. Not every room needs high ceiling.

Cole Valley Hillside - John Maniscalco Architecture · More Info
  • PRO
    Charmean Neithart Interiors
    11 years ago
    I would actually do the higher ceiling in your public spaces, like LR, DR or entry because it is an authentic detail to Spanish architecture. You can do lower ceilings in your bedrooms, hallways, and bathrooms. Have a look...
    Charmean Neithart Interiors, LLC. · More Info

Hope that helps. Charmean Neithart
  • Naseer Kannur
    6 years ago
    y
  • PRO
    Laurel Gardens llc
    4 years ago

How about 11 ft ceiling height throughout the first floor and 10 ft on second floor?

• # ExMaistro
    3 years ago

Good day if i want a loft bed style?

like small room under and like a small living room and the upper will be the room my ceiling should 10ft or 9ft?

• Lutisha Antoine
    3 years ago

Can i use 14 feet ceiling below an 12 feet upstairs

• Laurie Krauss
    3 years ago

In a public space - hall, hallway, entrance etc a larger ceiling height feels ok, but too high a ceiling in a bedroom feels uncomfortable. Same applies to dining, lounge, living rooms and kitchens. It’s to do with how we as humans relate to space and the objects around us.

• love2browse
    3 years ago

I have 10’ ceilings in my home. I wanted to do a coffer ceiling in the great room/kitchen area, but it was cheaper to do a cathedral and stained beams. I do have a storage area and a big 600 sq ft room open space on the 2nd floor. My old home had 8’ ceilings. I didn’t think about how it feels to climb all those additional steps with a 10’ ceiling. At 12’ you may need an elevator! If you go with 12’ ceiling, you may want to add electrical for window blinds so you can open and close them remotely.

• wildinbloom
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

This is an old post, so I’m going to comment for those who are currently researching….

10’ ceilings minimum on the first floor. 12’ on the first floor is my preference, especially in the south (to me, it does not feel uncomfortable in any way).

I would suggest using 8’ tall doors in a home with 10-12’ ceilings as well - it is imperative for scale.

Windows will have to be scaled as well. Please think about how the exterior of the home will look. Be consistent and design symmetry into your plan. If you’re going with 10-12’ ceilings, transom windows above the main windows is an excellent way to increase window height and architectural interest.

If your ceilings are at least 10’ high - you’re good. Any lower and the space feels claustrophobic and dated (and not in a good historical way). You can go 9-10’ ceilings on the second floor.

If you are concerned about the utility costs - research and speak with a very knowledgeable HVAC person. There are methods to reduce the burden.

Those two-story high living room & foyer ceilings of the 90’s & 2000’s McMansion variety are outdated and a waste of space that could be second story square footage - and yes, those can feel uncomfortable.

• PRO
    Steveworks LLC
    2 years ago

This is an old post but there's some important consideration with a very high (10'+) ceiling. For the most part, adding that much volume is more to heat and cool. For heating a lot of the hot air will rise to the ceiling, do not good for the occupants, and to cooling, if your HAVC is up high, you'll lose efficiency as the cooler air has to sink ( although a fan helps). also, especially with cathedral ceilings, it is much more expensive to insulate, especially in "heating" climate, although in cooling the same would apply. and your lighting is way up high too, so you'll need other more fixtures, or brighter ones.

Sponsored
Bella Systems - Custom Closets
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars64 Reviews
Greenville's Award Winning & Top Rated Custom Storage & Closet Designs