Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
klekas65

Kitchen Cabinets - Crown Molding- Yes or No?????

klekas65
9 years ago
Well you guys have done an amazing job on my remodel. Wood floors are almost done, granite going in on Monday, then cabinets are getting painted Alabaster by SW. Here's my dilemma - I think crown molding on top of these cabinets would be amazing (replacing cabinets just not in the budget). What do you think? And if you like the idea, how many inches tall should the molding be? The cabinets are 30" tall, and I would guestimate about a foot from the ceiling all around so any size molding would fit. Thank you all in advance for all your support. I can't tell you how many sleepless nights I didn't have because of all your thoughtful help!

Comments (59)

• glschisler
    9 years ago
    My friend added crown to her same cabinets and it made them very nice. You can get a 3 or 4 inch sample of crown from the lumber yard to prop up and determine which looks best to you. Then go for it!
    klekas65 thanked glschisler
  • klekas65
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I just found a pic on Houzz (I can't seem to copy it). It had cabinets like mine with a small angled crown molding on top. It looks great - very "finished". Wondering why it wouldn't work here leelee?
  • klekas65
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thank you glschisler! I am thinking the same thing - just a little something to finish the tops off. Trying to keep kitchen simple as it's part of a great room/dining/room floor plan. Perhaps just a 3 or 4" angled crown would work.
  • klekas65
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Here is a pic of what I think it will look like - of course everything will be white. Thoughts?
  • User
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    Here is a nice example of the crown on white cabinets;) I think it could look nice, rest arrow on pic to enlarge
    Sunset park Custom Home #2 · More Info
  • klekas65
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Margo - I just came across that pic as well and I couldn't agree more. Not sure why the cabinets could not handle such a small crown molding - seems it would be a shame not to do it. Will pick up 2 sizes and see what they look like.
  • User
    9 years ago
    Good idea- seeing is believing... I live in the *Show Me* state ;)
  • Tamy
    9 years ago
    I think that all kitchens need much more storage than is usually offers.

A great way to get that added cabinet look is to not put crown moulding..buy multiple sturdy baskets (square or rectangular), ideally the width of the doors below. Some even have lids to keep the items within them clean. If you can't find any with lids...then zip locks are your friend! This would offer you storage for the items you don't use everyday/seasonal decor or whatever. These baskets must be all the same hight and high enough to be about 1-2 inches below the ceiling surface.

Now, the key is to put pulls/knobs on the front of them like you probably intend to put on the cabinets anyways. So, cut up small pieces of wood that are large enough to mount the pull/knobs you have selected...pre drill the holes for the screws and put the wooden piece on the inside of the basket and work the screws through the basket screwing or affixing the pull/knob.

Baskets are the colour of your cabinets...or in the same tone...which is even better.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
    klekas65 thanked Tamy
  • leelee
    9 years ago
    Your cabinets seem too casual for crown molding. Always consider the bang for your buck and is this the best place to put your money?

There are many things you want to do so what will make the biggest impact? I like glschisler's idea of getting a short piece of molding and seeing how it looks. Try it and see?
    klekas65 thanked leelee
  • brockwem
    9 years ago
    small, subtle molding if any. Like LeeLee said, your cabinets are too casual for statement molding.
    klekas65 thanked brockwem
  • Tamy
    9 years ago
    Oh, just wanted to add that baskets are easy to clean...just vacuum them off whenever you happen to go up there...and once a year wash them in the sink or tub with Murphys soap.

They will smell fresh and look great. They need moisture once in a while to keep them in good shape.
    klekas65 thanked Tamy
  • PRO
    Indoors & Out Designs, Debbie Truesdale, Owner
    9 years ago
    I inherited these cabinets in my washroom and they appear to be the same as yours. We added about 3" crown and painted them out with hardware and I am very happy with them. The molding made all the difference.
    klekas65 thanked Indoors & Out Designs, Debbie Truesdale, Owner
  • User
    9 years ago
    Once these cabinets are painted and hardware put on they will not look as casual. The crown will kick them up a notch as it did in Debbies case;)
  • User
    9 years ago
    Sheeesh...Debbie, come to think of it, I have your same cabinets in my laundry room without the crown. NOW, I need to add that to my list of winter- to- do's ;))
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    Ha ha. It is so worth it.
  • User
    9 years ago
    leelee- are you a believer yet?'))
  • PRO
    Jaimie K Designs Ltd
    9 years ago
    Hi Klekas65, i have to agree with Leelee and add above your cabinets, the image tat is there is a goodrepresentation of what you could have. This is going to give you a modern look, additional storage and when all painted a light airy feel to your kitchen. Putting a molding on will just mean the top of the units will gather dust!!! and be quite old fashioned. Nik naks another dust gatherer. Hope this helps and will look forward to seeing what option you go for.
  • User
    9 years ago
    If we could just go out and pick money off trees, the top layer of cabinets would be fabulous. For those of us who do not have these trees, the crown moulding is a good alternative;)
    klekas65 thanked User
  • klekas65
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thank you all! So many fantastic ideas - I love them all! However, since I have just downsized to a ranch and in the process of redoing most rooms, price is most important here - for now. I have 1300 sq. feet of scraped wood going in ALMOST everywhere today, granite on Monday, all new paint, landscaping etc. Sooooooo - I think I will do as Margo and Debbie have suggested and put up the crown molding. If I decide later to add cabinets above - well I certainly can! Love the basket idea, too! Thank you all for all your input - When my house is done I will post a picture - For the first time in my life the house is turning out exactly how I pictured it - and I owe it all you the wonderful suggestions from all of you! THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!
  • User
    9 years ago
    Good luck- Enjoy the ride, and I will be watching for the updates;)
  • PRO
    The Virginia Gail Collection
    9 years ago
    Yes, crown molding will make a nice finished look. Adding the upper row of short cabinets is also a great idea!
  • leelee
    9 years ago
    OK--go for it!
  • User
    9 years ago
    LOL- leelee, can we have that again with just a little more enthusiasm? ;)))
  • doctornancy
    9 years ago
    Yes to a 4" simple crown and no decor items on top of your cabinets. I did it to my kitchen and laundry cabinets and it gave them a more finished up-scale look. I do not think your cabinets are too casual for a simple crown.
  • PRO
    Lewis Design-Build-Remodel
    9 years ago
    Maybe even consider adding a flat stock molding 3/4 x 3" it would keep it simple while still adding another layer of depth. Or consiter the crown moulding likley a 3 1/4" product and then swapping out a few door for some glass Please post pics once decision is made and finished, love to see how it all works out..
    A Kiss of Contemporary - In Scotts Valley · More Info
    Cooking Up Comfort - In Felton · More Info
    Twice As Nice - In Santa Cruz · More Info
  • klekas65
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Oh wow this is pretty! I was also think glass doors on a few - my husband would have to agree if I "accidently" pounded a hammer through a few cabinets????? Things happen, right? Thanks for the input - I love all you guys!!! Will definitely post when done!
  • klekas65
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    As a side note - we are doing glass tiles, stainless steel appliances, and floor is dark hickory. This picture really looks bad! However, when we bought the house there was red wallpaper, rooster border, and black and white vinyl floor - progress....................
  • inabunker
    9 years ago
    I think the crown molding, painting the cabinets, the hickory floor and stainless steel appliances is going to look really good. At first when I read your post, I thought the crown wouldn't look appropriate, but after seeing the pics, I totally agree.
  • klekas65
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    And Luna Pearl granite - I think everything is going to be beautiful! Gray/white/black glass tile......
  • klekas65
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Here's the crown molding! Grand slam!
  • klekas65
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    D
  • klekas65
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Cabinets will be painted Greek villa......
  • User
    9 years ago
    Whoooo HOOO- I can see them painted;) Thanks for the update!
  • doctornancy
    9 years ago
    Nice!
    klekas65 thanked doctornancy
  • PRO
    Design Line Works, LLC
    9 years ago
    Yes, yes, yes to the crown! With the simple door style you have now use a smaller simple crown. I would even suggest using a "stacked crown" to get a little extra height. Just a simple solid stock molding with a small simple crown. Try not to display too many, (if any) "treasures" on top, remember less is often more! Good luck!
    klekas65 thanked Design Line Works, LLC
  • klekas65
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Hahaha no treasures I promise! Nothing on top! Taking down light fixtures and doing all recessed lighting to open up room. Less is definitely better!
  • klekas65
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Almost done!
  • beachlily
    9 years ago
    Gorgeous! Great job !
    klekas65 thanked beachlily
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    Wow what a difference! So happy for you. Do you have some long handles for the cabinets to add bling?
  • klekas65
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Well...decided on knobs for cabinets and long pulls for drawers. Hope it will look ok!
  • Jennifer Owen
    9 years ago
    This looks great! Crown Molding has made such a difference!
    klekas65 thanked Jennifer Owen
  • PRO
    Kemora Landscapes
    9 years ago
    What a transformation! How exciting to see the dramatic change in this space. Everything looks great, and you even stayed on budget! Congrats!
    klekas65 thanked Kemora Landscapes
  • PRO
    Design Line Works, LLC
    9 years ago
    Wow! Great job!
    klekas65 thanked Design Line Works, LLC
  • PRO
    Euro Canadian Construction Corp.
    7 years ago

Wow that looks great!

• PRO
    5 years ago

Just got a hit on my comment about your project so Houzz brought your project up. I saw the photos and your kitchen looks high end and fantastic. Can you post a totally finished photo? Thanks,

Deb

• Karen Rod
    3 years ago

I have an identical kitchen layout and am about to paint and add crown to mine. I really liked your before/after pictures and seeing the same layout.

• J B
    3 years ago

Crown mounding Yes or no?

• J B
    3 years ago

I meant moulding silly iPhone

• Debbie N
    last year

I just took mine off .. love the simplicity of it .. going to use your ideas for decor up there .. so i would say keep as is .. love it

• HU-328257704
    last year

I requested from the company remodeling my kitchen 36'' cabinets with crown molding.

The subcontracter who installed the cabinets told me theres no room for crown molding since theres only less than a inch of space between cabinets and ceiling. Any ideas ?

should i get a discount? Not what I wanted.

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz