Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jmk578

Dark Bedroom that faces the North with no Light.

Jean Kappes
9 years ago
It looks bright and i have not done any redecorating yet. Comforter is going away. my colors are Turquoise, Beiges, Navy . Need to get a starting point on the decorating ideas. Do i start with the comforter or paint first.

Comments (15)

• User
    9 years ago
    Definitely choose your bedding first. Paint should compliment the starring bed.
  • Shirley Lise
    9 years ago
    I agree. Start with the best bedding you can afford as the bed is the center of attention and bedding can make or break a bedroom design. Remove the small rugs. Like the symmetry created by matching tables and lamps. Add horizontal artwork or group of art above the headboard. If choosing patterned bedding, opt for simple artwork that does not compete. Optionally, flank the bed with large mirrors to reflect light and visually enlarge the room. Place a bench for storage at the foot of the bed if there is room for it. Finally, complete the design by changing out the light fixture for a flirty chandelier.
    Jean Kappes thanked Shirley Lise
  • Jean Kappes
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Problem is also the carpeting. It is old and dirty. a beige Berber. Would you get rid of that first? I am thinking of installing wood flooring. not sure about the transition of tile to wood in the bedroom. I like a airy room clean lines but cozy.
  • pluclamper
    9 years ago
    I agree
  • marilynellis
    9 years ago
    Comforter first. In any design plan, paint is the LAST.
  • Jean Kappes
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    What do you do if your comforter is neutral color? I feel that i am gong with a neutral. How do in incorporate color from there?
  • everdebz
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    I don't think you want to buy paint samples yet but it wouldn't hurt to have thought out your natural lighting situation and whether you might want a yellowish tint... see if it were me I'd probably crave creamy yellow :) ---a bedspread might have that hint in it
    Light Tan and White Scroll Duvet Cover · More Info
    "
  • everdebz
    9 years ago
    gold for accent in chair or art ...
    Hotel Collection Bedding, Finest Venetian Collection · More Info

Marrakech Curtain, Tuquoise · More Info
  • Rina
    9 years ago
    The neutral might include hints of colour as in the pretty examples posted by Everdebz above. But two other wonderful ways to bring colour in are in the art, and in the rugs. It can also be done with accessories (lamps, pillows, vases, ornamental anythings) alone, but that would tend to be a bit more difficult in most bedrooms than it would in most living rooms, because there is less space to place things. Oh, and don't forget the colour potential of a throw on the bed.

If you're ready to find a comforter you like, and post a picture of it here, I'm sure there will be more help available to build the room's colours from there.
  • everdebz
    9 years ago
    teal that to me looks painted on
    Organic Ironwork Duvet Cover · More Info

Something Like Wonderful3PC Vermicelli-Quilted Patchwork Quilt Set Full/Queen · More Info
  • everdebz
    9 years ago
    bit of yellow
    Gray, Yellow & Aqua Ikat Custom Duvet Cover · More Info
  • PRO
    Gray & Walter, Ltd.
    9 years ago
    Pick a comforter first if possible. Paint color should be light to medium in intensity. Dark colored walls are fine if you want a cozy room.
  • Lynnie
    9 years ago
    Get your comforter and rug first. When you find the colors you really like, then paint. I would check Amazon and Overstock first. An accent wall would be cool, slightly darker than your other wall. Have touches of white as well. Some ideas. .

Masculine Master Bedroom · More Info

THIS PICTURE HAS SOME NICE PILLOWS

Mad for Galapagos Turquoise · More Info

Decorated Pillow Cover with Hammer Seashell, Turquoise · More Info

Navy Stripes Pillow · More Info

Zig Zag Citron Small Pillow, Turquoise · More Info