Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
msplankton

help choose an exterior paint color and new roof color.

msplankton
9 years ago
what do think of a new look for this 1962 house? it faces south but has many tall pines and a large maple which blocks most of the sun. i want to leave the concrete blocks unpainted even though i dislike their color, which is a sickly-looking rusty mauve? the window trim is old stainless and has to stay for a few years. my first choice would be an unpainted door with a rectangular pane of glass. i have some ideas, but hoping for your polished outlook! many thanks!

Comments (22)

• msplankton
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    thanks, curt - i hate the stone. the gray is a medium blue, and the roof is almost black and is to be replaced. i was hoping to avoid painting the stone, but....
  • handymam
    9 years ago
    I don't care for the grey. Maybe use the lighter color of the stone from the lower half of the house. If you dislike the stone, you could do some different landscaping and your eyes would go to it instead of to the stone you dislike.
    msplankton thanked handymam
  • PRO
    MLB Design Group
    9 years ago
    Paint the stone and invest in a new door. It will make a huge difference.
    msplankton thanked MLB Design Group
  • lefty47
    9 years ago
    HI -- Do something more bold to distract from the stone if you don't want to paint it . Paint the siding charcoal - add some decorative panels in cream on each side of the front door add lighting with some sconce /coach fixtures . Or if the stone can be re-moved or not , you could just spray paint the whole house , siding and stone the same color like taupe or a soft tan/cream using a masonry paint . Then in the spring plant at the foundation maybe day lilies or boxwood .
    msplankton thanked lefty47
  • Curt D'Onofrio
    9 years ago
    Adding a porch will def help with curb side appeal, i.e. not give your house such a blank face persay. Of course a porch will give you good sitting area (shade) in summer months. But in winter months the porch roof will block needed sunlight, so it's your call
    msplankton thanked Curt D'Onofrio
  • msplankton
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    i realize the stone really is throwing everything off and am glad each of you weighed in. i have re-planted the front bed and see what you mean, handymam. absolutely to the new door, MLBDG. have been hoping to think up something to contrast to the stone, but it may be hopeless.
  • msplankton
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    i have plans to develop the 'wooded' atmosphere within the trees, but can't change the front porch area. it needs to stay handicap-accessible. yes to changing light fixtures which will be more mission/craftsman/prairie style. appreciate all the great ideas!
  • msplankton
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    lefty47 - i went with plum bushes, variegated euonymus, and rusty barberries. they need to fill in and will continue this year getting that going. ;)
  • handymam
    9 years ago
    Maybe just add a couple of plants in a more evergreen look, like a Hellers holly or other dwarf shrub that stays green all year. It needs some darker contrast against the house.
  • msplankton
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    i see what you mean, handymam. there is an old and large mugo pine to the right at the corner. on either side of the property is an oregon grape bush to the east and lilacs to the west. i hope to eliminate most of the grass and add boulders, etc, leaving the constant pine needles. do you think i should match green shrubbery on both sides of the door or mix it up?
  • handymam
    9 years ago
    If your door is not centered, I think you could mix it up!
  • handymam
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    Instead of eliminating all of the grass, maybe you could create some extra wide/ large beds with curving instead of straight lines, and add easy care day lilies and such, and mulch.
  • msplankton
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    yes, i prefer assymmetrical beds and we are on the same page on the front area. thanks for your ideas!
  • houssaon
    9 years ago
    I would paint the siding a color close the color of the stone, so it is not cut in half. Take a look at Benjamin Moore Cougar brown or a similar color. See: http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/cougarbrown#ce_s= 2106-40

I would also add wide trim around the windows and door.

I think the depending where you live you should have a lighter grey or a weathered brown roof.

Here is a house with a good siding color and a handsome roof: https://www.houzz.com/photos/2924-browne-stone-rd-traditional-exterior-oklahoma-city-phvw-vp~4095529
    msplankton thanked houssaon
  • msplankton
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    i think i will follow your ideas on the trim and roof color. thank you for addressing the roof! i've considered pairing the stone to the paint, but don't think i could. i know it is popular, but just not for me. thank you for weighing in on that. i am wondering if you think 6" would be wide enough trim around the front?
  • PRO
    Grown Solutions
    9 years ago
    Hanging garden trellises hung from your roof overhang would conceal some of your larger bare walls.
    msplankton thanked Grown Solutions
  • Tamy
    9 years ago
    I went and looked at CIL paint colours....and they are great because they take the guesswork out of knowing which tone goes with what.
    So, I tried to match your existing stone (I might be way off..but that's what I see on my IPAD). I then looked for a blue in the selection that most reflected the colour of your flower pot...then that got me the colour of the paint you can use for just above the brick (nice and light..and paint the soffit and fascia). Then with the door colour I got the purple that complements all of the colours. The purple should be used to paint out your window frames, door frame, and shutters if you decide that this is what you want.
    In my opinion, looking at most mid century houses like yours...they all have thin window trim. I think that the house is nice with the less "in your face" large trim that doesn't go with the house.
    You can't put shutters on the big picture window, but you sure can put a nice awning with a"punch of colour", then shutters on the remaining windows. I think these changes will modernize your style of home, without looking like you are trying to camouflage it with stuff that doesn't fit. It's a beautiful house, designed that way..windows spread out and not centred...and that's what makes them charming.
    Speaking
    of camouflage, my parents use to own a house with a very similar brick design. They got the closest colour match and only painted the lighter ones...and unless someone pointed it out to someone, you never would of known. Make sure you don't go with anything glossy on the brick.
    So, below are the samples..don't be shocked..if you choose to do this it will be beautiful...and match your existing roof. Also a picture of an awnIng (I prefer the fixed ones/solid affixed MTO it's frame).
    I know you are asking for advice a on your home, but you must clean up the core and underside of your trees. What I believe to be a maple on the right..it has three main (fork like) branches. From where that fork starts, remove all branches (approx 5ft). Then on the remaining lower branches, remove all the ones that are growing downwards. For the other smaller one in the front yard, I would use a trimmer and run it across the bottom of the canopy of branches. Don't let any new little sucker branches grow, pull them off immediately. This will make the home look cared for, also complement the house and not hide it.

I love the colours that widen your choices and marry your choices together...I also love the large blue on..it would look awesome.
    msplankton thanked Tamy
  • Tamy
    9 years ago
    Here is a mockup that I did with the colours, painting the door blue, trim purple, remainder of house in the light colour which matches the brick. A few more inspirational photos of using a splash of colours that pop give interest and life.
  • Tamy
    9 years ago
    Oh, and if you put shutters on the smaller ones...I would put them the same as the trim in purple.
    Good luck
  • Tamy
    9 years ago
    Oops, forgot to put samples with their names and brand..
  • sheilaskb
    6 years ago

I would suggest you paint the siding a bright white. I believe the lighter tone in the brick, which looks light grey or light beige on my computer, would be a good color for the roof.