Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kimberlee_dray

Moving Blues Saga: How Did My Bedroom End Up With All the Leftovers?

kimeedraypz
9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago
I moved across the country into a new house (big downsize--lost 2000 square feet) a month ago and now I'm living in this sticky spot called "leftoverville." After donating a houseful of furniture, I'm down to the bare bones. Unfortunately, all the things I can't part with ended up in my bedroom. Naturally, they came from other parts of my previous completely decorated house and now they're trying to inhabit the same space even though they don't necessarily speak the same language ... Are there any experts at furniture cohabitation in the houzz.com world? I am SO TIRED of decorating (fifth house). Please tell me a coat of paint and a couple of throw pillows will take care of everything??? Yes, I do believe in fairies, miracles and the Chicago Cubs. (Lamps STAY. Furniture and walls are up for painting. Up for changing nightstands and the sunburst mirror. Upholstered headboard, art, armoire and dresser stay. I plead with you not to not break my heart and tell me to make a new bedskirt. I am so tired of sewing, at any moment I may lose it and start collecting all sewing machines in the kingdom to be burned). :-)

Comments (49)

• kimeedraypz
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    More Pictures ... yes, that is a sitting room attached. It has nice chairs in it that match the pillow sitting on the bench at the end of my bed. It also has white built-in cabinetry ... ugh. *Sigh* I know, I know ...
  • abbyjean
    9 years ago
    Once again......your writing style is theeeee best!
    kimeedraypz thanked abbyjean
  • abbyjean
    9 years ago
    OK.......this is what I see......a bed that fits perfectly between the windows and two side tables that fit under the windows and are a great height. I see neutral colors in the bedding and a great bench at the end of the bed. I see different woods, but hello! That is awesome. And I see ROOM as in not cramped as you move around this private space. Oh....and art that ties colors together!
  • abbyjean
    9 years ago
    Is that a bench under the window in the sitting room? Would it work at the foot of the bed instead of the piece there now?
  • kimeedraypz
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Oh abbyjean. I can tell from your picture that you too believe in fairies and pink ... and glitter. Shall I just run to the Hobby Lobby, buy out all their iridescent glitter, throw it around the room and imagine it matches then? I'm trying to get this all decked out for a girls' retreat weekend with my daughter. I'm thinking she might go for the glitter ... haha. In all seriousness--where do I even begin? Deep breathing?
  • abbyjean
    9 years ago
    Do you 'need' window treatments?
  • kimeedraypz
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Oh, you are genius. Yes. Yes it would. I could give it a go. It IS circa 1992, but is the same color as the armoire, so it might work out. I'll give it a go and post some pictures. Moving things is definitely on my "happy" list of projects.
  • abbyjean
    9 years ago
    Daughter weekends are theeee best.......and yes, AbbyJean believes big time in tooth fairies right now.
  • kimeedraypz
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Yes. I will have window things. In fact, that's what got all this started. I have to order a big curtain rod for my living room (yes, I TOOK my gorgeous silk draperies with me! ah hahahaha) and I thought I might as well order rods for my bedroom and sitting room at the same time. But, what color of wood to order? (Yes, no iron, no metal--must be wood or painted wood). A conundrum.
  • abbyjean
    9 years ago
    I would also remove all the pillows behind the tallest ones. I know some might be the sleeping pillows, so keep them, but try to lose two layers.

Do you USE the quilt at the bottom of the bed? I would like to see the bed without it once and with out all the pillows and who knows? It might all work just fine as is, but feel the need to make sure.
  • kimeedraypz
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    See what I left behind in Arkansas? That was the room before we moved into the new digs. I still have all those yellow panels ...
  • abbyjean
    9 years ago
    Can you order white or is that just toooooo boring?
  • abbyjean
    9 years ago
    Such a huge room, but I do like the current one and see you copied a lot of the arrangement, which must be comforting.
  • abbyjean
    9 years ago
    I am ok with the mirror.....just too high.
  • kimeedraypz
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    It is ... but I'm having a hard time because I loved my last bedroom and thought it was pretty close to perfection. This one isn't the same creature and I need to figure out what it's telling me it wants to be. I was hoping to find a translator. Thanks for helping out!
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    9 years ago
    Paint a soft gray. Mirror over bed, too small for area. Try that pic you have over dresser, over the bed. Over dresser get a much bigger mirror. Bedding is good. But not feeling the chair on foot. Try roman shades in a shade of gray, or colors from bedding. It's not that bad. What's in Armoire? If a TV. You could change Dresser with Armoire. Put a big screen TV on top. Put armoire in another room or sell. They are dated. On wall with picture add your chair from foot. And a small table next to it with a lamp. I would get a dark wood dresser instead of the white. Dresser looks like for a child's room. Very small.
    kimeedraypz thanked Nancy Travisinteriors
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    9 years ago
    Instead of pic group on wall. Try a tall 6 ft wide dark frame floor mirror, lean on that wall. IKEA sells. Sometimes when you move furn just doesn't work. Trying to create a look you had in other homes are hard to do. Each home has its own Personality.
    kimeedraypz thanked Nancy Travisinteriors
  • kimeedraypz
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    The armoire is for storage, and I need it. I can move the dresser into the closet for now and sell when I can afford the built-ins I want in my closet. Or, maybe the armoire would fit into the closet? hmmm ... so much to think about. Yay Gray! In fact, the adjoining bathroom is already gray (SW Repose Gray, I believe ... and it's a stunning color. Totally recommended). Thanks for giving me a shove and getting my lugubrious decorating muse going again. She was rebelling and telling herself pretend stories like "yeah, you don't have to redecorate to have it look as good as it did in the old house."
  • er612
    9 years ago
    If you can, move the armoire into your closet. It's really the only difference that sticks out from your old room. Then put the white dresser in its place. Leave the painting where it is but lower a few inches. You should be able to fit at least one of your chairs to the right of the painting. I think a backless bench would fit better in the new space than the current one. Try switching it with the one in your office area (at least for size).
  • Maureen
    9 years ago
    Before I looked at your picture, I was preparing for a disaster - your room is lovely and only needs a few tweaks. I really like your armoire and would leave it there or exchange with dresser and think if you paint the room a very soft blue, change your art (botantical prints, softer colors), change lampshades to mocha or white, lower the starburst, change pillows on settee, new drapery, and (if you want) add a chandelier - you should be "golden".
    Blue/Cream Bedroom · More Info
    Dallas, TX: Matt & Kathryn Janes · More Info
    [houzz=
    Franklin Lakes French Manor · More Info
    ]
  • Kathy M
    9 years ago
    I think a backless bench at the foot of the bed would look much better.
  • PRO
    alexandragilson
    9 years ago
    Hello, i would make a first inexpensive change in inverting the wardrobe and the chest. From the bed, i think it´s not happy to face the wardrobe and would be more resting to have a view on the painting and chest. After that, i would think about hanging 2 blinds with a touch of blue ( stripes ? ) and maybe a smart armchair in blue velvet or linen on a side of the chest + a table lamp on it.
    kimeedraypz thanked alexandragilson
  • PRO
    alexandragilson
    9 years ago
    Forgot to say that the bedroom feels very comfortable !
    kimeedraypz thanked alexandragilson
  • Sally Pascale
    9 years ago
    That actually is a very nice bedroom! I love your tufted headboard, and the two nightstands, not to mention the lamps with the black shades. Something relatively easy to do, might be to paint the armoire and dresser in antique black, and sand the edges a little bit to age it. Black is a lovely neutral, and would go with the bedding, so you wouldn't have to do a whole lot.
    kimeedraypz thanked Sally Pascale
  • PRO
    Sustainable Dwellings
    9 years ago
    Lose the round mirror over the bed. Take the picture on the other wall and put it elsewhere. LOVE the armoire!! and, yes, get a decent tailored bedskirt...
    kimeedraypz thanked Sustainable Dwellings
  • suzyq53
    9 years ago
    I think your room will look great when you get the curtains up. I'm not sure two panels will work in your new space. You might just use one on the outer side of each window like the picture above. Pretty white wooden rods will look great with the existing white trim. I would suggest repainting the room with a rich cocoa color like your old bedroom. What seems off to me are the lamps - I love the ones you had before - and sorry, but the armoire isn't going to work no matter what. I'd put the dresser on the wall where the armoire is now with a beautiful mirror above it. Good luck!
    kimeedraypz thanked suzyq53
  • beattieboggs
    9 years ago
    smdrovetto, loved your post so much. You sound quite the character.
    kimeedraypz thanked beattieboggs
  • beverlynn
    9 years ago
    Actually, Kimmee, the room is quite nice! Have you considered (I choke as I type this) having the armoire professionally painted a cream color? I normally don't like painting wood, but it would look pretty. The room would be pretty with the layering of creams. LOVE the blue lamp shades-coming from someone with a completely neutral bedroom with the exception of red lamp shades lol! Btw, while the bedroom in your previous house was gorgeous, the current room looks much cozier and relaxing!
    kimeedraypz thanked beverlynn
  • kimeedraypz
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    @Sustainable Dwellings. You just broke my heart! ;-) Actually, I didn't get a great picture of that bedskirt. It is a very high-end, totally custom tailored piece. I am loathe to replace it. I used to have a workroom and apprenticed with a very high-end seamstress. I do all my own sewing, but I'm tiring of it these days. Do remember I just moved so it's a little bent out of shape after being carted cross country. Give it a chance ...
  • kimeedraypz
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    @SM Laughing my head off. I think you need to write a new novel "Fast Times at Sunny Acres" or "My Wheeling Life With the Octogenarians." Perhaps a mini-series called "Heart Murmurs"? or, oR, OR! an exercise video "Tightening Up with Miss Tilley--Judo Style." :-) heh heh
  • kimeedraypz
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I love all your comments people ... keep 'em coming. I will soon post pictures of what I've been up to ... you've all got me moving. Today, I moved the armoire out of my bedroom (for the time being) and into my closet. I really like that piece, and I'm not ready to let it go yet. I have these dreams of turning it into the next MacKenzie Childs hand painted masterpiece one day when I have time to work on it. Until then, it's in the closet along with my blanket chest.

I moved the bench at the end of my bed to the sitting room across from the two chairs that were in my previous bedroom and I'm working on slipcovering an ottoman to put between them to complete the conversation area. I put my white dresser (it's actually quite large--77" long) on the wall where the armoire used to be. I still have the old mercury glass lamps from the other house, but they're very "pedestrian" looking. I would rather start over and decorate the whole room to go with my new lamps than to get rid of them. I have a lovely velvet gray side-chair I put with a lamp where the dresser used to be and I removed the art from one wall. I have not yet removed the larger art piece, but I'm considering it. It will take me a while before I repaint, but I'm planning on SW Repose Gray to match my bathroom. Then I will change the brown quilt for a light gray or cream matelasse and rethink the pillows.

Thank you one and all for reminding me that every house has its own unique challenges and space adjustments to be made. I have been rebelling and didn't want to do this all over again, but here I am and I might as well just get used to it. It's possible I will be selling it within the next six months anyway ... :-( another story for another day.

It's already shaping up nicely. I'll post some pictures soon.
  • abbyjean
    9 years ago
    Oh, I was hoping we did not scare you away and now you just have me soooo excited to see what you have been doing.
  • smdrovetto
    9 years ago
    Beattieboggs! I'm so glad you liked my post! Kimee always brings it out! She is SO funny!
  • smdrovetto
    9 years ago
    OH! Kimee! YOU should be the writer! I love your lamps, AND MacKenzie Childs!
    I still think about those gorgeous drapes in your last house.
    Really, you DO have the talent to write a book!

I promise I wont take up any more of your thread after this! You don't know what it's like to have, "Bad Boys, Bad Boys, blasting on the TV, (Cops, my mom's favorite show), and being hit on by 90 year olds on oxygen................................

Yesterday, I was ready to collapse!

She can't hear or see very well, and there was a small photo of Ellen DeGeneres and Portia DeRossi in the Enquirer, which she subscribes to. I had already seen it.

She said, "You know that Allen DeGeneres is a good lookin' fella."
    I just stared straight ahead, having a premonition of what was coming.
    I said, "Mother, that's Ellen, from TV. "You love her"
    "Who?"
    "ELLEN!!!!!! FROM TV!!!"
    "Oh, yes" Like she knew it all along.
    Then she asks, "Who's that with her, her sister?"
    I said, "It's her wife."
    "Whooo?"
    "Her wife, mom"
    "Her wife?"
    I finally lose it, and Yell, "MOM!" "SHE'S HER WIFE!!!!" "THEY'RE MARRIED!!" "SHE'S
    GAAYYYYYYYY!!!!"
    Now, I'm panting, wild eyed and exhausted.
    SHE has not even looked up from her paper the WHOLE time.
    After a short pause, she says as she turns the page, still not looking up,
    "Well more power to her"
    I see YOU TWO with a TV show, and I'm showing everyone my arm accidentally caught in your photos on the red carpet.
  • kimeedraypz
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I refuse to let you into any of my red carpet footage unless you promise to do bunny ears behind me wearing a turban-style hat with an ostrich feather and large gaudy earrings--it will set off my black Jane Eyre frock I plan to wear as a statement against meat dresses, the general flesh fest and too much lace. Practical, no-nonsense schoolmarm is what I'm about. I'm glad we'll be doing an exercise video featuring 90 year olds for our TV show because it will give me that serious, no-nonsense cop-style format with which to promote my platform of strictness. I shall frown a great deal on the red-carpet and I should think an ostrich feather and gaudy earrings with bunny ears in the back will send my own silent message: STRICT adherence to formality creates its own brand of loveliness.
  • suzyq53
    9 years ago
    You are all too funny! Hello again. I just read your progress report and looked at your room again. You're definitely heading in the right direction for your design. Just something for you to think about - will gray walls work with the carpet? Color is funny on computers but your carpets looks warm tan from here or is it taupe? What color is the floor tile in your gray bath? In So Cal gray is the new neutral, but I usually see it with dark wood or tile floors. When I look at your pictures, it looks like the bedroom carpet is a warm color, but the walls are cool. Is that OK?
    kimeedraypz thanked suzyq53
  • kimeedraypz
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    The carpet looks funny in the pictures, but is actually the perfect taupe/neutral with flecks of both yellow and gray in it. It will look fabulous with the gray paint. My tile in the bathroom is taupe. I'm pretty confident in my colors, but less so in furniture arrangement, and I get lazy and tired of redo-ing. It's good to have the criticisms and ideas to get my brain moving. I nearly started to exhibit the "r" word in my decorating (reticent), but the people of houzz have come to the rescue to help me see reason ... i.e. get rid of all those pillows! The armoire is dated! The furniture looks cramped! etc.. Change is good. Just tiring.
  • suzyq53
    9 years ago
    Kimee - My mom would say "buck up buttercup" or "the longest journey begins with but a single step" or "the adventure is not the destination its the process of getting there". I say "its not a race" or "I'll think about that tomorrow" but mostly "lets have some wine".
  • smdrovetto
    9 years ago
    Kimee! My mom thought I was choking or having a seizure!!!! OMG! Your husband must be alternately laughing and terrified about what you'll do next!! If a producer read this thread they'd sign you in a minute! Just please take us with you!
  • smdrovetto
    9 years ago
    A Tavola Non Si Invecchia Mai!! (Roughly: You Never Grow Old at the Dinner Table!)
  • Marianne Scoggin
    9 years ago
    As a know-nothing about design, I might as well give you my thoughts. 8>) I love the armoire. I'd hate to see it painted. I could care less if the piece is outdated. Considering gray walls and your description of the carpeting, would the yellow drapes work behind the bed to the edge of each window and with a panel on the outer side of the windows? I also like the idea of gray shades, though. Love the room and that it opens to the second room. You can do something about the white cabinets, maybe paint them gray so they recede or yellow to pick up the color of the drapes. Okay, let the pros continue....
    kimeedraypz thanked Marianne Scoggin
  • magada
    9 years ago
    Hi kimeedraypz,
    A coat of paint and a couple of throw pillows will take care of everything ;)
    kimeedraypz thanked magada
  • Nora Lambert
    9 years ago
    I have just recently started following Houzz and was somewhat put off by some of the negative comments on some post. I must say your post has changed that for me. I have so enjoyed reading all the post and have had a good laugh. I think with the changes you described your room will feel and look beautiful.
    Where is Arkansas did you move from? I am also in Arkansas.
    kimeedraypz thanked Nora Lambert
  • kimeedraypz
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    !!! All these lovely comments! @smdrovetto--yes, of course you can come. Where would I be without my inside track on Miss Tilley and her enviable way of dealing with the 90-year-old riff raff? @thedarlingbecca--know-nothings are my favorite! When you know nothing, there is nothing wrong with taking risks and being creative :-) normally leading to the best result! I love my white cabinets, I chose them that way, and they are staying, but I think a gray wall will really make them come alive! (and, between you and me, I love that armoire too and could also care less if it's dated!!! haha love your candor!) @magada ... you make me relive a scene at the end of the "Wizard of Oz" in which Dorothy proclaims "I think I'll miss you most of all, Scarecrow" with your words ... :-) :-) :-) You are now part of my inner circle of houzz-y nerd-dom for saying such enlightened things! Hail wise contributor to houzz.com ... heh heh @thelmalouisemom--Bentonville. I am so glad to know you had a good laugh though I'm sure the credit is due to smdrovetto who so graciously shared with us the low-down on the inner-workings of retirement homes and 90 year old pick-up techniques, and not to my Jane Eyre ideas in fashion or sentiment. :-) Have a wonderful day houzz people!
  • jillybeansisme
    9 years ago
    Oh I soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo sympathize. My move is delayed a few weeks because of unexpected immediate medical issues requiring surgery and then I get to wiggle my way through the move mess . . . but I don't see a mess in your place at all!

My first reaction was "what a lovely room, but I would like to see something near the ceiling such as a painted vine." I have no idea why, but that just came in my thoughts and so I send it to you to do as you may. Oh, and don't you dare lose that beautiful armoire! Oh, and I'm not yet 90 nor do I have a pick up line for you (unless the "I don't see a mess in your place at all" is a pick up line!).
  • kimeedraypz
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Loving that pick-up line. If I were 90, that would totally get me ... actually, I'm less than half of 90 and that line gets me ... :-)
  • senab
    9 years ago
    Wow, nice I like your current bedroom more than your last. This one may be smaller, but what I can see from the pictures the layout is more interesting with all the crooks turns and hidden rooms. I frankly am bored by all these big open space rooms with no partitions of any sorts.
  • smdrovetto
    9 years ago
    Oh, Kimee!

I have been SO tired lately, I didn't see your lovely entry! It is very sweet.

I enjoy this thread, as others do. I went straight to the website when I heard you were back! Thanks for letting me "vent" on your thread! It REALLY is so fun to find someone that sees the humor, etc. in challenging situations, as you obviously do, making another big move in a year?!

I think a fun, gracious Design Dilemmaee?? attracts commenters who are of like mind, and I LOVE all the creative ideas, as well as the humor.

I live in the Great Northwest, and my mom was disgusted yesterday after the Superbowl............................so I decided to teach her MC Hammer's "U Can't Touch This" I think there was some subconscious thing going on. I brought up lyrics on Youtube, and we "sang" along.

HER part is: "Cant Touch This" and "Break it Down" Kimee, you would DIE!

It is so darling, and hilarious, I will try io post a video my girlfriend wants to shoot........................We MAY do it up, since my nephew has a degree in video direction and production................ I will definitely let you know if we end up taking it to Sundance or Cannes............................