Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
merryum123

We chose a HIDEOUS exterior paint color! Pls HELP us choose a new one!

Mary Merry um
9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago
We just redid our landscaping and as a finishing touch (yesterday) painted the exterior of our house Benjamin Moore "Saybrook Sage" HC-114 and we HATE it. We need a new color ASAP - so that the painters don't have to re-do the prep work, but are torn on which direction to go. We were thinking in the greens, but WHAT WERE WE THINKING? Now, we are leaning towards greys/taupes? But really have no idea. We need a color that goes well with our dark walnut-stained trellis and landscaping. Our house is very BLAH looking itself and has very little to NO curb appeal? This photo (though not the best) shows our concrete color, roof color, the trellis color and the landscaping colors - we need something that will go well with these. For some reason we thought green would work, but realized we were VERY wrong! We need help! Any suggestions on a great exterior paint color that would look good with the colors we have going on? Keep in mind that we have that textured stucco (we would love smooth stucco, but it's too expensive to do). Also, the garage door is about 1/2 of the facade and we are torn whether to paint it the same color as the house, white or do a wood overlay and stain it to match the trellis. THANK YOU!

Comments (46)

• handymam
    9 years ago
    BM Timothy straw is a nice color for your house. I actually don't think the green looks that bad, I think it looks weird perhaps because even the trim is green.
  • User
    9 years ago
    Yes, maybe just working with the trim would make a huge difference;)
    Custom Homes · More Info
  • raineycarole
    9 years ago
    I like the green. Just change the trim to a darker shade.
  • Jennifer Abbott
    9 years ago
    I like the green.
  • MarleneM
    9 years ago
    The first thing I noticed was how the shrubs and house are all the same colour. I think green is a good choice, but maybe something warmer with more yellow. Here is a quick mockup with BM Dry Sage. I only did half the house so you could see difference. And agree to paint trim to contrast to add more definition and drama.
    And if you look at the pic Margo sent notice how the shrubs have warmer yellow tones to them. If you add any plants, I would add more variation in colour to them.
  • bgfuqua
    9 years ago
    I agree with handyman above.
  • lefty47
    9 years ago
    HI -- Ok, the first thing I see that I don't like is the rafter ends exposed . I think you need to put on fascia board and paint it to match the pergola and deck. Also put that dark color on the window trims etc. Look at "Prairie Lilly " by Benjamin Moore paints for the front door or any other burnt orange you like . That will go with the green you have . If and or when you get new roof shingles , go with a darker color like the pergola/deck color . I am not much for green exteriors but yours doesn't really look that bad . I think once all the trims are done and the door has an accent color , it will all look great . Just paint the garage trim and have the door the same color as the house . If you painted it the dark or white , it will either look like a hole at night or a drive inn screen in the white . Put your house number in large graphic numbers on the vertical on the left side of the door. Look at some mid century modern exteriors on a search for other color ideas if your still hating the green .
  • Mary Merry um
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thanks, everyone... So in the pic the trim is covered - it's actually white. Does everyone think it should be dark like the pergola? And this pic makes the green look ok, but in real life it's really bad. We will be putting up facia for sure.
  • lefty47
    9 years ago
    HI -- I sounds like your always going to hate that color so your best to change it . How about a nice tan or a taupe --- Look at "Ranchwood" by Benjamin Moore paints . It is a real nice classy house color and will go with the dark paint you have on the pergola and doing the trims still stands . Also Manchester Tan is good too.
  • Ryan
    9 years ago
    I like the green color also. Adding some dark purple and some lighter lime green plant would help the plants stand out better. A redish/purple door might be nice. Changing the trim to a darker green or light green would add some contrast.
  • spatialthinking
    9 years ago
    Definitely make the garage door a different color from the rest of the house. You're not trying to hide the Batcave out of sight, after all :)

Seriously though, it's on a different plane, and a moving piece of your house, it would look off if it were the same color.
  • Mary Merry um
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Another point of clarification - that's actually not the front door, it's a bedroom door. Our front door is along the side of the house... So, rather than making it stand out, we would like to hide it.
  • everdebz
    9 years ago
    Flowers in bright colors will look so good!!!
  • PRO
    ACT ONE DESIGNS
    9 years ago
    I think the brown railings might be throwing you off. Try painting the railings, overhead and trims in white. Also, try using a lighter shade of green on your garage door.
  • myperfectadvice
    9 years ago
    A grey that isn't so green.
    See ideas below
  • delyanks
    9 years ago
    A darker green would work well unless you are totally put off by green now. I'd box out the windows and doors with a white trim.

Saxon Hill Vernacular · More Info
  • flopsycat1
    9 years ago
    Can you post a wider pic from the street which also reveals the white trim you mentioned? I think it would be helpful to visualize the whole house and, perhaps, the entryway.
  • Jamie
    9 years ago
    I painted a home BM Revere Pewter. It will go with all your colors.
  • Gabriella Williams
    9 years ago
    Personally, I really like the green. But I understand that pics may not always be true to actual color and that lighting can make a huge difference. I agree w/ the consensus to keep the color and play with the trim & door and/or other accents. But it's not about what everyone else wants. Find a color that YOU will be happy with. After all, you're the ones who will spend the most time there & look at it the most. If you do change it, I'd go w/ a khaki color w/ green or yellow undertones.
  • User
    9 years ago
    I love the color scheme of this house, and I think it would look good on yours as well. Keep the pergola dark brown, paint the other trim white. I would keep the garage door the same color as the house, but paint the trim around it white. Whatever color scheme you choose, I think the trim should be in a contrasting color.

Salem Avenue Renovation · More Info
  • User
    9 years ago
    Let us know (and show us) what you decide!
  • Mary Merry um
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I think we are leaning toward BM Sandyhook Grey. We want to go way safer now. The trim in this pic is covered with plastic bc there is still plastic and painters tape everywhere since we want them to change the color. I'm going to post a pic before we painted.
  • Mary Merry um
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Here is the house before we painted it.
  • Mary Merry um
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Here is another pic. If you look at the one above, you can see the front door is up the left side of the house. This has always been a huge problem. The plan is for the Marjorie Channons we planted in front of the porch to grow and create a wall to cover that area so you don't see that door. We plan to paint the main door of the house BM Cottage Red to draw attention to it. The trim is White Dove. This pic shows the house closer up. So, we are thinking BM Sandyhook Grey for the stucco, but I'm worried it's a bit TOO safe. Thoughts?
  • retroearth
    9 years ago
    I think the Saybrook sage looks great. Much, much better than the original. Are you sure you aren't just in shock because it's such a change. I also like the garage door painted the same color as the house.
  • PRO
    Cancork Floor Inc.
    9 years ago
    Trim and pergola white, keep the sage and add a new dark gray/slate blue roof. This would be the option I would look towards if your roof needs replacing. Try painting out the pergola and revealing the window trim (maybe have one window exposed to give you some perspective. If your roof is nearing the end I would look at changing the colour to enhance the paint.

If the roof is new(er) then a stronger gray would work...except the roof is too light to handle a dark colour. I'm a fan of butter yellow with that colour of roof.
  • zazfuzzroc
    9 years ago
    I actually like it, I feel either darker or white on the trim. I think the dark pergola looks nice and rich. Think trees....browns and greens......I don't think you can go wrong. :) I think some dark rich mulch in your planting area/beds would pull that richness to the foreground and look sharp. Good luck...sorry, but I like what I see. :)
  • Chelsey Oldham
    9 years ago
    If you don't like it, change it. I've always tried to live with paint colors that I hated from the get go and always repainted in the end. I think BM Storm would look beautiful. White trim and use the garage door or front door to get a little more brave.
  • zazfuzzroc
    9 years ago
    Hi, was just playing around with color. Is this what you were thinking?....lighter? darker? Maybe with white trim? Or dark to match the pergola? I put darker mulch also. :) Good luck, hope you find your perfect color. :)
  • wickedwhite
    9 years ago
    Cute house! You definitely need a green with a bit more grey in it. Sandy hook is a good choice. Benjamin Moore's Copley Grey is another option. It's a popular choice for exteriors. Many examples on Houzz.

Sandy hook grey:
    http://houzz.com/photos/1014511
    http://houzz.com/photos/1014509

Copley Grey:
    http://houzz.com/photos/6399198
  • 413montgomery
    9 years ago
    Go from hideous to gorgeous - Any time you go mono-color on a deep saturated color you can get into trouble. Smileyface2013 and Actonedesigns have the right idea, mixing in some complimentary trim colors. Stick with what you like, not what you ended up with. You were attracted to the green on a small sample. When you painted the entire structure, the color deepened itself (reflects off of itself) and overwhelmed you. Lighten up on the body color but from the same sample strip to get the color you originally wanted, then add your complimentary colors for trim. All the fussing takes more work but you will appreciate it in the long run and so will your neighbors.
  • sacapuntaslapioz
    9 years ago
    I like the dry sage option, but I would paint the garage door in a different color and I would paint the rafters in the same dark brown. I would try a color similar to sea pine for the garage. in this picture the shutters are sea pine
    [houzz=
    Custom Homes by Reynolds Architecture · More Info
    ]
  • andreamroeder
    7 years ago
    What did you end up doing with the exterior color?!
  • Mary Merry um
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    OP here! We repainted it BM Pismo Dunes
  • zazfuzzroc
    7 years ago

:D Looks great!

• Mary Merry um
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Thanks! Since then we've added a second story and painted it Sherwin Williams March Wind, which is a very nice grey color. I highly recommend it!
  • zazfuzzroc
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

You're welcome.. :) Wow, Sounds like you've been busy. Good luck and Enjoy your new space.. :)

• Magoo G
    last year

I'll throw in a comment now that I've painted my home Saybrook sage based off my favorite home in the neighborhood, a few blocks up, same side of the street. I asked them the color of their home, but not the color of their trim.

Guess what. The trim makes a HUGE difference.

I went with Dove Wing, thinking it was a pretty creamy white. It looks so good in my home. But next to Saybrook Sage, my house looked like a ghastly gangrenous cadaver. Why? Dove Wing has a lot of grey in it.

I went back to the inspiration home and asked the owners their trim color. It's either Aura or Navajo White, they couldn't remember. Those two whites are much warmer, creamier and yellower than Dove Wing.

We might've solved the mystery. Don't paint Saybrook Sage unless you have some nice warm creamy tones to accentuate it. Without the creamy contrast, the green looks sickly and dull.

Really bad.

• Mary Merry um
    Original Author
    last year

Can you post a photo? Would love to see it!

• Magoo G
    last year

Our home in Saybrook Sage w Dove Wing trim. The Dove Wing is too grey, and it drags down the Saybrook Sage into a mire of undifferentiated "smeary" grey. In other words, the trim doesn't accentuate Saybrook Sage's best qualities as a silvery green w amazing light/dark shadow variation. Also, our landscaping isn't done (or even started), and I think lacy trees casting light/dark shadows will improve things.

• Mary Merry um
    Original Author
    last year

I think it looks great! I think this color is much better on siding than stucco!

• Magoo G
    last year

This is the inspiration home, also in Saybrook Sage. I just visited today to confirm their trim in Ben Moore "Navajo White." It's significantly creamier than Dove Wing, has a smidge more yellow than Simply White, and is less grey than Dove Wing--which you'd never guess has grey in it til you need a not-grey white.

• Mary Merry um
    Original Author
    last year

Looks a lot lighter!

• chloebud
    last year

Magoo, your inspitation pic looks great. This is one example of Saybrook Sage I’ve kept in my files. I’m not sure what white the trim is, but it looks nice with SS.

• Magoo G
    last year

Chloebud, I'd guess that trim is Simply White. It looks creamier than the white-white of the windows, but not quite as creamy as Navaho White. But that's just my guess. :)