Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
salvageartisan1

ANYBODY INTO INDUSTRIAL/FARMHOUSE STYLE?

SalvageArtisan
11 years ago
Hey guys!

We're about 3/4 of the way through our remodel and I need some fresh inspiration!

Are you into industrial farmhouse style? What should I be adding as I finish out my space?

Especially trying to decide on door colors. The two single french doors on the side of the house are cedar and will either be stained or painted. (Brown or grey?) The front door has grey primer on it, and will be getting some simpler glass in it. Thought about adding a pop of color on the front door, but trying to keep the exterior fairly dignified and monochromatic.

The balcony and overhang over the single french door are being custom made out of galvanized metal. They will attach to the wall above with sturdy metal turnbuckles and brackets.

I'll post more pics as I think of more ideas/questions for you guys to take a look at.

THANKS!!!

-Will

Comments (74)

• SalvageArtisan
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Jamieson -

I do like the bright green & orange too! Maybe for the front of the house, instead of drawing attention to the current door, until I replace it maybe I should add some color in some wooden porch chairs or a bench.

DOES ANYBODY have a program that can quick change the door colors on my pictures to the green or orange so I can see what it's like?
  • zweet
    11 years ago
    We,re going for a renovated 1920's farmhouse look in our new build. There are many of the real (unrenovated) ones in our area to view. They all are white with white trim and brown stained doors, yet don't look boring. Didn't have can lighting in the 20s, so we're going to use small single sockets with simple glass shades instead. Your house and ideas are fabulous!
  • SalvageArtisan
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    memama - sounds amazing! I'd love to hear more! Are you still in the planning stage or have you started yet?

Are you in the Midwest?
  • zweet
    11 years ago
    Our fabulous architect, Mollie Ackner, at SoliDeo Design Studio in Durham, NC, sent us schematics today, including all exterior elevations and floor plans. Just a few minor tweaks to window sizes and porch columns and we'll sign off. Hope to break ground in July. Never thought we could afford the services of an architect, but the fee is reasonable and we're getting the perfect house for us. We live in a small town in a rural area, only had to go three miles to get out in the country! Very flattered by your interest.
  • SalvageArtisan
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    memama...very excited for you, best of luck!! Enjoy, and remember "too blessed to be stressed" on those rough days. =)
  • Susan Donaldson
    11 years ago
    Love your house and ideas! We are in the process of doing the finishing touches to our industrial farmhouse style home. We have left big galvanized brackets and bolts exposed, used galvanized farm lights and German zinc gutters (rheinzink) to keep the look clean and simple. We put in a gravel driveway for looks and environment and installed 2 large galvanized horse troughs in the lawn to grow veggies. Also painted and used a large beam and g. brackets over our master shower with a groove to hold the shower glass in place below a vaulted t & g ceiling.We are going to use a mix of vertical and horizontal 8 to 10" wide shiplap or t&g on some walls painted out white to match our all white interior. We installed an interior framed windowless opening between the kitchen and living room with salvaged shutters to close them off if we want. Love the idea of inside galvanized beams and grey or orange exterior door/s. BM Chelsea grey is a good grey. I am in the process of choosing my exterior white. Could you tell me which one you used on your exterior?
  • SalvageArtisan
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    littlewhite - SOUNDS AMAZING!!! Do you have any pics would LOVE to see 'em!!

We also are doing lots of brackets/bolts, lots of galvanized accents. What are german gutters? Sounds awesome with the shower glass, would love to see pics of it. We are doing barn door track several places in the house, my favorite will be the master bath opening. The "door" will actually be a 9 ft tall thick framed mirror on barn door tracks that will slide over onto the bedroom wall when not needed!

Our house exterior is actually vinyl siding (not my favorite) but we needed to match the new to the old, maybe sometime will replace all of it with a wide paintable siding. The color is called "snow" and is slightly cream but still a fairly crisp white.

We've still been struggling with the exterior accent colors. Decided to stain/paint the sets of french doors a dark espresso brown. That side will have SO much grey with the deck, railing etc. so we thought a slight shift in color would look good. I'm sure they also would look good with a color but we're trying to keep the color to things that can easily be switched out if we get tired of it, and repainting french doors would not qualify. =)
  • Susan Donaldson
    11 years ago
    Look up rheinzinc for the gutters- they are beautiful and my husband installed them himself to save $. I agree with your colour thinking, putting hits of colour into things you can change easily. My whole house, trim and all ,will be white with the possibility of the front door a french blue/grey or just grey? I spend annual time in Amsterdam and I love their high gloss doors in lovely colours from safe to wow! I would love to see your master bath door when it's done. I am away for 2 weeks and then house painting. I'll send pics then.
  • SalvageArtisan
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Going to pick up some Benjamin Moore samples of GREY Aura paint today! I'm so excited! =)
  • Jamieson
    11 years ago
    So are we! Keep the pics. a' comin'!
  • PRO
    Charmean Neithart Interiors
    11 years ago
    Hey salvage, what's happening with your candles?
  • SalvageArtisan
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    Charmean - it's actually a wood top diffuser for room fragrance. It's held up really well! The pine top is now totally saturated and smells great.

Also love the simplicity of a simple wood block vs a bunch of reeds that are hard to dust =)

The first pic is the R. Hardware diffuser I got my inspiration from. (My fav store!) 2nd pic is the diffuser I made...
  • SalvageArtisan
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    littlewhite - Are your gutters half-round??? I bought a bunch of galvanized 6" half-round gutters and accessories off of Craigslist. The boxes looked like they were printed in the 50's but everything was still new. It was in a little old warehouse in Chicago where they were clearing out all the old stock...
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    Oh right, I remembered wrong. I do remember however, it was great looking. Are these available for purchase yet?
  • PRO
    Susan Mills Design
    11 years ago
    SalvageArtisan your fav store has 20 percent off right now, it's not been advertised much but there you go:)
  • pcmom1
    11 years ago
    I think this just might be my dream house.....
  • Susan Donaldson
    11 years ago
    SalvageArtisan, yes, mine are half round and all I can say is, "what a scoop!" I think mine are 6" too. Do you have the downpipes also?
  • PRO
    Susan Mills Design
    11 years ago
    Salvage I was reading over the posts again and see that you wanted a hodge podge type of kitchen, have you heard of Johnny Grey? He creates the most interesting kitchens I have ever seen. He really can visualize and think outside the box, when it comes to design. Take a look for some inspiration:

http://www.johnnygrey.com/portfolio/uk/bath.html

enjoy!

Susan Mills
  • SalvageArtisan
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Littlewhite - yes was able to get all the down pipes, corners, brackets, etc. enough for the whole house and it ended up being cheaper than standard yucky gutters. =) In case you haven't caught on yet, I'm a real C.List fanatic by now. =)
  • SalvageArtisan
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Susan - thanks for the info I'll def check it out!!!
  • SalvageArtisan
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    NEED IDEAS FOR MORE GREYS TO TRY...

Painted a bunch on of Aura Color Stories samples on the walls last night but it didn't go so well...haven't looked this morning yet but this was our impression after they dried last night:

CASTLE GATE CSP-75 - A deep intense grey. Perfect depth, but SEEMS TO HAVE A PURPLISH undertone which the color chip doesn't seem to show. (DONT WANT PURPLE OR BLUE CAST, want a slight brown cast)

UPPER WEST SIDE CSP-70 - A medium grey, supposed to have a slight beige cast, but also seems a little purple. Also seemed kind of "BLAH", like not deep enough to be dramatic, not light enough to be refreshing. Hmmm.

SEA SALT CSP-95 - Supposed to be a light "dove" grey for bathroom, kitchen, sewing room. It is so light though, I think it will look like a white unless it is contrasted with white.

We are painting all the simple square trim the same color as the walls, but keeping the original doors wood. Currently they are a deep cherry color, might strip them and either have a raw look or else a driftwood stain.

DO YOU GUYS HAVE ANY IDEAS FOR OTHER GREYS WE SHOULD TRY??????
  • feeny
    11 years ago
    Did you take a look at the Houzz article this week about different shades of gray? Lots of sample pictures of different grays in different rooms, with full info on the paints used:
    https://www.houzz.com/magazine/50-shades-of-gray-stsetivw-vs~2901301
  • SalvageArtisan
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    FEENY - THANK YOU!!! I hadn't seen that yet...looks awesome!
  • SalvageArtisan
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Charmean - I guess I have considered selling the diffusers on Etsy, but if someone has some woodworking skills they could easily make one, and I'd be glad to share the "how to"... =)
  • feeny
    11 years ago
    You are very welcome, SalvageArtisan. I thought it was an incredibly helpful article and bookmarked it immediately for future reference.
  • pcmom1
    11 years ago
    Jamieson, love that vibrant orange door with the dark gray siding! I see pots of daisies surrounding in the summer, pumpkins in the fall, conifers decorated in equally vibrant blue for Christmas.... Wish I could buy this house!
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    Go for the Etsy store, great idea.
  • SalvageArtisan
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Another trip to see Mr. Benjamin Moore...I think they thought I was crazy. =) I came tramping in with my laptop (houzz pics), 3 Restoration Hardware catalogs, several fan decks and all the samples we've collected so far!! =)

The "wise" old guy behind the counter said he thought the reason we're having trouble finding the right color is "you're confusing yourself with too many options". ( =0 ) He took about 5 seconds to find "just what we needed."

sigh.

got some big paper samples of the following. These are all in the same color family and are listed dark to light.

BM 1554 - Dash of Pepper
    BM 1553 - Equestrian Gray
    BM 1552 - River Reflections
    BM 1551 - La Paloma Gray
    BM 1549 - Balboa Mist

They all have a VERY brown cast, which kind of freaks me out, but so far everything we've painted has turned out looking blue on our walls. I wonder if it has to do with the brown wood ceiling??

Think happy thoughts for me, guys!! :/
  • pcmom1
    11 years ago
    Keep an eye out for old creamers! I have one by my front door holding a trailing jasmine. Found it at a barn sale: about 4 ft. tall, wonderful rusted patina and perfect for a plant since it drains. I have an old trough along my drive holding a planting also.

I think my style is transitioning from rustic french country into industrial farmhouse.
  • SalvageArtisan
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    pcmom1 - I agree!! I'm at a point in my life where I'm ready to de-clutter & give a little serenity to my surroundings. We're steering away from shabby chic frilliness and LOVING the solid simplicity of industrial farmhouse.

This example is maybe a little more on the modern side but still love the look:

loft project Berlin · More Info
  • pcmom1
    11 years ago
    Any chance you will be listing your home on VRBO as a vacation rental? At least I could visit it!
  • SalvageArtisan
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    pcmom - Ahh...thank you! =)

I really can't wait to be living in our OWN "vacation" home all the time!!
  • PRO
    K.O.H. Construction Corporation
    11 years ago
    Really like you ideas and energy. I'll take some pics of furniture I made. The are for my daughter and they're made with industrial and farm equipment. I'll do my best to do this soon. Good luck
  • SalvageArtisan
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    rusty...please do, sounds neat!! Look forward to seeing the pics!
  • SalvageArtisan
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Think we've found the deep gray for the living & dining rooms...considering Equestrian Gray by BM 1553 that I described in my previous post.

I think we're going to to paint the dining and kitchen wood floors, but keep the living room floors wood.

WHAT COLOR WOULD YOU PAINT THE FLOORS if the walls are going to be deep brownish gray? White? Lighter version of wall color? Black? The ceilings are dark brown wooden beams with the brown underside of the 2nd story wood floor so don't want to darken it too much...

Color looks similar to this:

Harris Front Entry · More Info

or this:

Interieurs Showroom by Francine Gardner · More Info

wood ceilings look like this:

Franklin Street Loft - Family Room · More Info
  • SalvageArtisan
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Almost done with adding the thin brick to the kitchen. (Went this route instead of tile) Planning on painting a chalky white or warm light grey.

Hoping for this look:
    Occasional Chair 06315 · More Info

or this:
    Global Living / Bluefish Home - Showroom · More Info
  • SalvageArtisan
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    Thought I'd add a "before" pic for comparison! The old door in the pictures is the only thing that is the same, (pantry) so you can use that as a reference.

We raised the ceilings from 7 1/2' to 10', and moved the windows/eliminated the old outside entrance (now have a single french door around the corner)
  • pcmom1
    11 years ago
    You are having WAY too much fun!
  • SalvageArtisan
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Don't know if I mentioned this yet but we have a 50's era wood cook stove that's going in the alcove in the kitchen...=}
  • pcmom1
    11 years ago
    Be still my heart!
  • PRO
    MICHI Designs
    11 years ago
    Some retractable screens on the doors would look great and keep the bugs out without ruining the exterior look.
    This is the company I use, they are the best and so are the screens!

http://retractablescreensllc.com/
  • SalvageArtisan
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Designs by Michi - thanks for the suggestion!! I checked out the site...looks excellent will def keep it in mind.
  • lfowls
    11 years ago
    This has been a great discussion to read! We are in the planning stages of a new build and we are going for a very similar look. Can't wait to see more pictures and get more ideas :-).
  • lfowls
    11 years ago
    This has been a great discussion to read! We are in the planning stages of a new build and we are going for a very similar look. Can't wait to see more pictures and get more ideas :-).
  • SalvageArtisan
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    I'LL TRY TO POST SOME PICS SOON. Made some of our own lighting...FUN STUFF!!!!! Good luck on the project @lfowls keep us updated!
  • PRO
    Walker Woodworking
    11 years ago
    Yes, would love to see completed pictures!
  • victorianbungalowranch
    11 years ago
    I agree, the door is the wrong style, but I would consider a simple traditional farmhouse door with half light glass,, maybe salvage and stained, that was common for these type of houses for a touch of the traditional/original style, or a modern style door something like the others.

Crestview.com has a great door visualizer--their doors have a mid-century/modern feel.. Sherwin Williams has a pretty good paint program too, but is more work because you have to create the masks yourself. Most paint manufacturers have something similar. Cool thing with Sherwin Williiams is that you can load a inspiration picture for color palette and get back a list of coordinating colors.
  • lfowls
    11 years ago
    Would love to hear how you made your own lighting! We have just began looking into this. How cool!
  • PRO
    Hawkeye Woodworks
    6 years ago

Love the style! Here's one of my Modern Farmhouse Benches with Some Wood Wall Art. A good way to incorporate Modern color while keeping the "Farmhouse" feel.

• suedonim75
    6 years ago

Super old thread!