Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
petlovermarcie

remodel-top loading or front loading ?

petlovermarcie
11 years ago
I've never owned a front loading and trying to decide whether to try one or stick to top loading. I feel like I might miss being able to throw last minute items in once it's filling with water. My existing washer and dryer are 15 years old so good time to buy new with our remodel in process. Can you share opinions of which type you prefer and why. BTW, just my husband and I so not extensive use. Thank you.

Comments (10)

• PRO
    Wow Great Place
    11 years ago
    Front loaders, for sure. You can add a countertop if you want a built-in look (I am not a fan of stacking them, unless you have the room to add a folding surface elsewhere, keep them side by side)
    You can always pause the cycle and add more to the load if that is your concern, as the water never "fills" beyond the bottom edge of the door. The drum rotates in the machine, making a more efficient cleaning cycle, and less water (even less detergent....savings all around!)
    First day owning a pair of front loaders, I spent in front of the machines with a glass of wine and a chair. Even the cat loves it! (so Shannon Ggem is not the only one passionate about her front loaders! LOL)
  • fife2
    11 years ago
    OH Gosh - I so totally agree with Shannon. I was just married 5 years ago - and one of my wedding presents from my husband was a new front loading washer and dryer - we stacked ours into the bathroom. I LOVE IT!

There are so many settings . it is wonderful. I did NOT go with the very TOP of the line - because some of this is unecesary depending on your life style. We have 4 dogs, cats - just my husband and myself - so I am constantly washing - dog bedding, old quilts and even my neighbors and my Mom bring things which will not fit into their washers - I think I drive the thing at least once a day - every day.

YES - they are more environmental friendly and do save water - the machines actually have a computer in them which weighs the material and responds with the amount of water needed to wash each indiviudal load. How about that? The dryer's do the same thing - each cycle time is different depending on how heavy the load is. Additionally, I rarely use the full-white cycle (very long) but when I do - it really DOES get the dirt out - my husband's white socks - do not even require additional stuff - like bleach or Biz.

I would say - give it a whirl - it is my favorite thing in the house - I would say - DO read all of the instructions - as the bottom drain can get clogged as we found after some particularly dirty doggie bedding with little leaves, lots of dog hair, and little stick things clogged this up and the washer would not drain. We certainly know where this is now!

The other thing I would say: Never use the really less expensive washing degergents and liquid fabric softners - the contain waxy materials and this will clog the degergent container where it flows down into the washer. I tried this once on an $$ saving binge - it did not go over well. Like putting cheap gas in a Mercedes. And, I personally, have never had the problem some folks talk about with the musty smell. Good Luck.
  • petlovermarcie
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    thanks so much, wow..it sounds like you all love them. I think the additional folding counter is the reason I'm mainly considering getting these as a side by side. I'm just spoiled with my old faithfuls. I'm concerned that the day we finish the remodeling of kitchen and laundry room will be the day my old ones die and I'll be kicking myself.

My reluctance has also been to the digital stuff, afraid just more things to go wrong, can't imagine them lasting 15 years without 1 repair call like I've had. Yep, been spoiled but time to move into the next generation. I'll need to go check 'em out. Thanks all. BTW, we too have 2 dogs and 2 cats. They want to get back to a normal life more than we do(if that's possible).
  • PRO
    Shannon Ggem Design
    11 years ago
    You'll be happy to see that there are knob options out there!
  • fife2
    11 years ago
    Dear PETLOVER - I would like to share that we have had our's for exactly 5 years now - and we have NEVER had to call the repair man, ( I KNOW I will regret saying this) . Secondly - IF you do the side by side - which is great if you are a littler shorter than taller - have them put on a platform - so that you do not have to bend over so low. One of my neighbors who has back problems did this - so she did not have to bend and reach.

We did not get the storage drawers which come with them, if you want to purchase same - because the stack would have been too tall for me - but this is perfect to take them directly OFF the floor for less bend. for a side by side.

What I love the most - one of our beloveds got a fungal infection - and was losing fur - the washer and dryer actually have a "santize" cycle and the washer heats the water even higher for this - if someone gets sick, or you just really have groady stuff - these are perfect. And, I could kick myself for NOT getting the steam cycle - because I could have done my own drapes, ulpholstered pillows, etc. Rain coats, sleeping pillows, duvets, etc. - a much cleaner home . I think you are going to LOVE them. I hope so.
  • PRO
    Barnhart Gallery
    11 years ago
    I'm about to start looking too -- interested in the space saving stacking units, but okay for a bad back?
  • Emily H
    11 years ago
    I imagine there is less bending over if they are stacked, so it might be better with a trick back.

I have had front loaders for something like 10 years and I will never go back .

I have had a couple different kinds (moved) and I actually prefer LG to Maytag. We've only had one small issue with the LG and my husband googled it and fixed it himself in like ten minutes with a 10 dollar part. Painless. That's with an entire families worth of grungy clothes with all kinds of weird stuff in their pockets for YEARS.

One tip: People will sometimes mention a musty smell in the washer. That's because they close the door and lots of time passes between use. Leave the door ajar and it doesn't happen.
  • PRO
    Shannon Ggem Design
    11 years ago
    I have LG now too, and LOVE!

Skip stacking and get the risers for back stuff.
  • PRO
    Closet Experts
    11 years ago
    You can fold on top of front loaders or hang items above to finish dry if you do not put them on risers. If you stack front loaders, you can have two washer/dryer combos in the space of a standard washer dryer combination, cutting laundry time in half and changing settings less. 16" deep storage above either washer or dryer is easier to reach. Risers can make easier to access but don't hold much usually.
Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional