Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lucillle

More Than Food

lucillle
13 years ago

I'm putting up a chain link fence today so that the dogs have an area to romp in apart from the vegetable garden. There's work to do on the garden itself as well, installing new lumber edging, mulch, and so on.

I'm recently retired and the gardens both vegetable and flower are delightful even though they were planned and created solely by me (with of course much research into posts written on this site); none was professionally landscaped. It is taking a lot of effort since in recent years the gardens have been neglected due to time constraints.

The garden will bring in a variety of veggies this year but it represents much more than food. Unlike the workplace which at least for me seems to have increasing numbers of self important, bureaucratic, authoritarian, and sometimes corrupt people making decisions about programs and policies, my garden is a place where I can have choices, make changes, and feel pride about the fruits of my own efforts.

It's much more than just food.

Comments (11)

• peachymomo
    13 years ago

I agree completely, and so would my college Psychology teacher who told us that gardening is one of the best things you can do for your mental health and the best non-drug method for treating depression.

I know that when I am upset about something going into my garden is always the best remedy, I am able to distract myself from whatever bothered me and return to a 'happy place.' Having delicious things to snack on while I'm wandering about makes it that much better.

I'm not retired but I do work from home and I use the garden as an escape from my computer, I can only sit still and stare at a screen for so long before I've got to get up and move.

• skeip
    13 years ago

My mother asked me one time why I needed 24 Tomatoes, three rows of Kale, 3 rows of beans, 5 different Lettuces, strawberries, Basil, and on and on. I told her it was my therapy after working all day, that it keeps me sane. She told me I'd better get out there and take a few sessions because the weeds were taking over!!

Steve

• jrslick (North Central Kansas, Zone 5B)
    13 years ago

Gardening and Farmers Markets are the only way I can keep going with teaching. If I focused all my energy on Teaching, I would be burned out. Now only if I could find the balance!

Jay

• lucillle
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I hear you Jay, I retired a few months ago from a school system early after 17 years, I love kids but with less funding and more problems, the school systems are no longer what they used to be.
    I did all I could, now I'm going to grow tomatoes and bask in a less stressful lifestyle. I'm hoping that for at least a year, I can manage my existence so that the biggest crisis I might have is aphids.

• alabamanicole
    13 years ago

Amen.

I do have to say that the first few years at a new site can be stressful. Exciting, but stressful. There's so much to do. After a few years you have a lot of the groundwork (no pun intended) done and it gets more relaxing and less like work.

• wulfe
    13 years ago

I agree wholeheartedly... its one of the few activities we can find meaning in AND have it bring the cortisol levels way down. I think there'd be a lot of psychologists and psychology teachers looking for work if more people got into homesteading style outdoor pursuits.

Here is a link that might be useful: My Homesteading Adventures

• ediej1209 AL Zn 7
    13 years ago

It's not just the actual gardening, either. It's the only way I can make it through our long bitter winters, dreaming and planning for the next year's growing season. People I work with look at me like I have two heads but I don't care. If we ever have to retire to an apartment or something I'd probably have to get some of those Aerogardens or something just to have something to do!

• wulfe
    13 years ago

Just make sure you get a south facing balcony! :)

• amberroses
    13 years ago

I agree with everyone here. Gardening is good for the soul, the mind, and the body.

• nancyjane_gardener
    13 years ago

Peachy...I disagree!!!!! Gardening IS a drug! LOL A nice green vallium! But it's tasty too!
    OMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
    Nancy

• bigpinks
    13 years ago

"Gardening is the purest form of human pleasure"

Francis Bacon

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional