Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
debsobsessions

Help finding contemporary white dining chairs for small space

Debbie G
11 years ago
As long as it took to choose our granite counter-top and backsplash.....I never in a million years expected finding dining chairs to be so difficult.
It probably wouldn't be so hard if we had an unlimited budget but unfortunately, that is not the case.
I'm set on white (off-white,or cream) chairs to go with the clean, contemporary look of the rest of our small, eat-in kitchen.
I found a set that I just loved for only $358 for a set of 4 (see photo). I just loved the open feel of the cut-out in the back and how they just seemed to visually keep that area from looking too closed in....Problem is, I realize they were just too big both for our small kitchen and for the 41" round table before I put the 4th one together. (Table is a $37 thrift store find that I still need to repaint but I just love the style).
As much as I hated to, I sent the chairs back.
I then tried a whole different type and brought home one of the "Erland" chairs from Ikea (see photo). I really tried to love them and did kinda like the chair part but just couldn't learn to love the skinny chrome legs...The chome was fine, since it matched the middle of my table, but they were just too thin and looked "cheap". Maybe it was the small chair combined with the skinny legs??
(I realize that my budget is forcing me to go cheap, but don't want it look that way! ; )

Now it's back to the drawing board again am really hoping someone here has solved a similar problem.
The photo doesn't really show just how over-crowded the chairs make the kitchen look, or how far they have to stay pushed out from the table to fit but gives a good idea of the space. (The white floors will be changed soon).
The cut-out chairs were 38.5" tall x 18" wide x 24" deep so I need something smaller.
I'm looking for a smaller scale, low back version of a Parsons chair in white leather or vinyl (no fabric or microfiber due to dog hair) and have found some with-in our budget (trying to stay around $75 a chair, but up to $

Comments (37)

• Debbie G
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Anyone?
    I thought for sure that there would be plenty of you who have found good deals on similar chairs??
  • mjzurita
    11 years ago
    You will not find dining chairs less than 18 inches wide. Choices are to use 3 chairs around table. Move the table out from nook and use 4 chairs. Or change the base of the table to counter height and purchase counter height stools, which will seem more spacious in that small space.
  • feeny
    11 years ago
    I'm afraid I agree. Unless you pull out the table, there is no way you are going to fit four chairs in that space no matter how slim their profiles may be.
  • Debbie G
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Mjzurita & Feeny - Thanks for replying......We have always had 4 chairs in that space and the table needs to stay there because it is centered under the light fixture (missing in photo but another project that I'm working on). Using 2 or 3 chairs in that space is an option but I'm a little OCD about that...to me it just looks like I'm forcing something to work that doesn't so I'm determined to use 4.
    I did consider a counter height set but the fact that the chairs all have those extra support pieces of wood running from leg to leg adds to much visual clutter under the table IMO. (Again with my OCD ; )
    All that said...there are a lot of chairs out there that will work....the problem has been finding them within my budget (around $100 per chair). Just a simple off-white faux leather parsons chair with a low back would work but for some reason, I can find plenty of the taller ones in my budget but everyone that I have found with a lower back is nearly double the price.
    The first set we tried in the photo was 38" tall x 19w x 24d. They stuck out too far and the height just filled the space too much. Anything smaller would work.
    I'm not opposed to some of the modern schoolhouse type plastic type chair like in my 2nd photo either....that one was just a little too tiny and I'm just shocked by the prices on many of the ones that I have found on similar ones that I do like.
    I guess I was hoping that there would be someone out there who found a great deal on similar chairs to what I've saved to my ideabook but guess I'm just going to have to settle for paying a little more for one of the chairs that I've already found.
    Thanks for the suggestions though!
  • feeny
    11 years ago
    Did you always have a 41" round table?
    A smaller square breakfast table would allow more room for the kinds of chairs you like in that space:
    http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Udine-Espresso-Breakfast-Table/2481097/product.html
  • pivoines
    11 years ago
    what about the Harry chair from Ikea ? and do you know someone handy that could build you two benches against the 2 larger walls build like boxes, add rectangular cushions on top you could even build them with lids that would give you extra storage ?
  • mjzurita
    11 years ago
    You could swag the lite fixture in order to move the table out a little. From the picture you posted, 4 chairs in that spot look off.
  • PRO
    karen paul interiors
    11 years ago
    The problem is not so much the width as it is the depth of the chairs. You can find dining chairs with an 18" depth. If they have a curved back to them, so as to "hug" the table, so much the better. If you google 18" dining chairs, you will find some options. Some times you will see offers for a pair of chairs for a given price. This IS a difficult task, however, as many of your chairs with this dimension are either in a plastic or are stackable types. I think it's much easier to know exactly what you are looking for when doing a search. Good luck!
  • Alice Crawford
    11 years ago
    You're going to hate me but......I would have someone build a banquette in that space. The problem you're having is wanting to hang on to that "bargain" table, that's what's messing up your mind! You may want to rethink the process and forget the table and sell it for wht you paid, or sell it for $50 which is still a bargain for someone.
    We've all hung on too long to our mistakes and then spend a lot of energy trying to fit it in, ask me how I know. That's the trouble with "finds", they can't be returned! Maybe there's a way to incorporate the table as part of the banquette which would give you storage if the seat is on hinges covered with a 4" deep cushion. That idea would make better use of that crowded space and fill it so that it's useable. Get rollers on whatever table you use or have built for easy access to the back. Hope that sparks some ideas, look on this site for banquettes or simply type it into your browser and see what comes up. Now if I could only solve my own design dilemmas...sometimes it takes someone to give you a fresh look at what you have. Alice
  • PRO
    COConsultants
    11 years ago
    Use the table somewhere else, this is the best built in section I have seen. Build in seating in the back and on the right you can come out further. Do a white channel leather or plethera on the banquets and keep the chairs I love them, they are great and just get a simple rectangular table.
    You will have a blast in your built in seating, storage underneath and a tea let you can eat on. Have fun.
  • Alice Crawford
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    I agree with COConsultants. See there, great minds think alike :) Go to www.houzzbanquettes. Look at page 7.
  • PRO
    karen paul interiors
    11 years ago
    I believe budget might not be in the cards for a banquette. Debbie was specifically looking for seats in the $75.00 range.
  • Debbie G
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thanks for the ideas everyone. I have to be honest and say that I did think of banquette when we first started because it does look like the perfect space for one, but I really turned up my nose at the thought because, in my mind, they scream "old country kitchen".
    Since it was brought up here to, I did take a look at the page Alice suggested, and realize that they could be made to look great in this space. I guess that I haven't really seen any recently so that is all that I could envision. The storage would sure be welcome in such a tiny kitchen too.....(I could probably still even make the table work...even if it meant switching to a square top...It's the base that I like so much but it still needs work).....
    Anyway...as much as I would love to, unfortunatley, I don't have the time to build them right now....back to college finishing a degree, working full time, other projects in progress, etc....(And I surely don't have the budget to hire someone else to when I don't even want to spend more than $400 for chairs if I can help it).
    So...back to what I do have to work with...
    I really don't regret buying the table...we had a square table in that area before and there were just too many hard lines in the room....IMO, the round breaks that up and allows for better flow around the table (and access to the back seat). I know it will be fine with smaller chairs and will look nice once I hang the drum pendant over it (another project waiting to be finished)

Karen - I agree with you that it's the depth that is my biggest problem but I think the width is also a problem because,even if there was no table in the middle, the chairs can only be pushed together so far to have the corner of each chair touching the corner of the 2 beside it)...unless you want 2 sticking out farther than the other 2. (Attaching photo that shows 2 pushed in further)
    When I first considered a round table, I tried to find info on recommended chair sizes based on the size ...To see what size chairs would push under a table nicely.
    I'm surprised to say that I found nothing other than other people looking to figure this out too.
    I even asked a guy in a furniture store if there was some kind of chart that would show various sized round tables with recommended sizes of chairs to fit under them but he said that it's surprising to him too, but there isn't.
    You would think, with all of the design tools out there today that there would be something easily accessible to check this... it would sure be helpful!....(Someone should make an app for that ; )
    In the other discussion that I mentioned....someone made the person a diagram to show how the she could push their table closer to a wall by leaving the other 2 chairs out...This wouldn't look good in my space but its a good visual for how the width of the chairs comes in to play too. I need the corners of each chair to meet so the 2 closer chairs in this image would have to come out.

Whew...Sorry to be so long winded but maybe this will be helpful to someone else too.
    I'm going to just have to narrow down the options that I've saved so far & decide! I appreciate the help and will post whatever ends up here....In the meantime...if anyone has an affordable white chair that would here, please still post. Thanks!
  • Debbie G
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Well that didnt show up so well ..the part I wanted to show the most is cut off but u get the idea of how far out the other 2 will be...I could easily make templates to figure out the best size but after seeing the first set we tried, I get it.
  • mjzurita
    11 years ago
    The only smaller seats available are bistro chairs. Usually with a rounded seat 16inch cir. Or maybe vintage chairs,painted to your taste. Good luck in the hunt!
  • PRO
    karen paul interiors
    11 years ago
    The width is not a problem because you are already looking at 18", so that's why I am focused on the 18" depth. When you pull your chairs in, the diameter of the table does not come into play, rather it is the base of the table that does not allow you the ability to push the chairs in. I'll keep looking but you are needing to lower your expectations in style. The type of chair you had pictured will always be the same approximate depth. As I said before, the plastic types and stackables is pretty much what you have now. That said, your very best bet for the style you want is an antique/semi-antique. People were a lot smaller back when, so you ability to find style and size and possibly price is better looking at antiques or older pieces. That means you will need to go consignment shopping, to swap meets and garage sales, possibly.

As I said before, if you know specifically what you are looking for and what the parameters ares, it really helps you focus and find. Your optimum size is the 18 X 18, as you already know. Good luck. If in the meantime I come across something I think will fly, I will certainly let you know. :)
  • Alice Crawford
    11 years ago
    Old blabby Alice here again,
    I received a comment on my statement to your budget not coming close to a banquette. Here's what I think. You've spent how much on the table, what was it $50? So add four chairs @ $100 each, you're up to $450. If you couldn't have that made for that price then you'd be over charged. (Is that one or two words?) The wood is made out of plywood and painted, that's around $12 for an 8x10 piece, paint is minimal. Figure you would need two pieces of plywood cut for sides and fronts, that's around $24 and HD sells 1/2 pieces too. Foam is cheap, and so is batting. I've done this work myself and it's not complicated.
    I ask you to look at page 7 but I'd hoped you'd look at all the other pages too. There were pictures there with round tables and tables with fancy legs, you need to look at banquettes again. Also, I think it would be an asset if you ever decide to move, new prospective buyers won't have the same problem....you'd have solved it for them, change the cushion cover and it's done. It's so difficult when it's yours!!
  • Alice Crawford
    11 years ago
    Just looked at the picture of the three chairs and table again. What's it like getting out of that chair to the right of the screen when the other chairs are occupied? Looks like a pretty tight fit. Picture the table loaded down with food,dishes lit candles but someone didn't get a fork (whatever) and needed one, mmm?
  • yvonnecmartin
    11 years ago
    I agree that at banquet is the way to go. Make one with boards and bricks yourself to try it out. I wish that I had thought of that for our old kitchen.
  • lefty47
    11 years ago
    HI -- One question I have is ,- why are you trying to squeez a seating area into such a small space ? And please don.t display items on the railing , it doesn't look nice. I have a railing like yours and everyone (husband) keeps dumping stuff on it, and it looks awful. A good source for chairs is a hospitallity furniture supply store.
  • betsyweisberg
    11 years ago
    Cape of Dreams · More Info

Just had to share this!
  • PRO
    COConsultants
    11 years ago
    Aside from making a banquette if not possible a church pew painted with a good cushion and roll pillow tiny at back works try e bay. Also there are 21.5" deep chairs and they are for all restaurants. look at www.spec simple.com click on the tab to get you to product guides it will show options residential etc. click restaurant click seating and a list will come up click falcon and curvy should appear she is sweet and fun comfortable I have sat in this. There are a ton of templates for how many chairs around a table.
    while in there go to Geiger international part of Herman miller under conference tables put in search seating guide or just print price list they are usually around the front of the book, the restaurant guide might have one but they are pretty standard. round 36 3 ,
    round 42 tight 4 round 48 4 round 54 4-5 round 60 6 round 72 8 after that we try yo go boat or rectangle no one would reach the middle and 72 is really hardly used maybe Chinese rest. with round lazy on top in this case seat 10.
    wedding planning companies that supply tables have them since they give the least amount of room around a table and it is a folding chair in a skirt. so you will find templates there you can also downloaded them for cad.
    best of luck and you can always put a rectangular piece of glass on top, back painted glass is cool also if you wanted a white top.
  • PRO
    COConsultants
    11 years ago
    lefty who made you mom. the people we try and discuss or answer questions are like customers she likes her things and her place looks really neat. you would faint here there is paper everywhere. k mom
  • lefty47
    11 years ago
    HI -- I was not insulting her - I was trying to help her - - she said she has OCD which I know about . Yes ,I am a Mom and whats wrong with that ?. No where in there did I say her place wasn't nice. I think you read my bit with an attitude that was NOT intended - so please don't assume , Thanks Mom .
  • PRO
    COConsultants
    11 years ago
    lefty you sounded condescending if I mis read it, I apologize, and I am a mom as many others are, but if I am willing to apologize for jumping to conclusions I only ask you re read it again.
    This conversation should have not taken place.
  • Debbie G
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Wow- Ladies, ladies! Sorry I'd hadn't checked back for a couple of days but was surprised when I did.
    Lefty - "Why am I trying to squeeze a seating area in to such a small area"? Really? Because we don't have a dining room so it's the only area for one to go. The stuff on the ledges are mostly still remnants of the "old kitchen" and the plant was a Mothers day gift with no better place to go right now.I wasn't planning on posting this photo when I took it...just as a reference for myself before sending the chairs back so I would remember just how big they looked. I'm still not quite sure what will end up back there. (I was likely going to do a separate post for ideas on that, but since you brought it up...some ideas I'm considering is a large geometric stencil covering that back wall with the window to add interest....Something similar to the one I'm attaching, although this particular pattern isn't my first choice, but gives u the idea....I really wanted to bring lime green in to the room for a splash of color, but now that the somewhat busy granite is in, I'm having a hard time pulling the trigger on that one....A lime green stenciled wall would surely clash with the granite in such a small kitchen, let alone any kind of a pattern so now I'm thinking that I may still be able to pull it off by bringing out a grey or taupe tone from the granite instead.and doing it in a metallic....That or just keep the wall the same color but do the stencil in a gloss of the same color to keep it subtle. (see photos)
    An idea that I'd really LOVE to try even more than the stencil is attaching various size pieces of mdf to make it 3D....a similar look to the newer modular wall tiles that are way too expensive for my budget (see photo of mdf project)...Another project that I just don't have time for but still love.
    Anyway...That whole ledge and dead wall heading down to our basement behind it is another sticking point for me at the moment......The one thing that I do know is that, when that whole ledge around the table has nothing on it...and nothing on the wall behind it either.....it's just plain & boooring but what is in the photo is not what is staying. I do think that once I have the drum pendant over the table, it's going to help add interest to that area and will encourage me to clear that ledge. Since you say you have this same ledge in your kitchen, I'd love to see a photo of yours though.

About the chairs....again, the only reason there is only 3 in the picture is because I knew before putting the 4th one together that they were too big. The 4th one did fit, but I saved myself the trouble of putting it together. As I look at the photo again, the area does appear to be tighter than it really is...The chairs that I tried from Ikea worked, I just didn't care for the super skinny legs combined with the very low seat but I have been looking at similar "stackable" chairs so agree that I may have to find a that type....The problem is that most have also been double the price of the Ikea chair. (All chairs but the one by the opening to the awful mauve living room do have enough room to be pulled out to sit down although its hard to tell. Now that the kids are grown and out, the table hardly gets used anyway and the living room is next on the list).

Alice - I agreed that the banquettes are a good idea, and I did look at than just page 7, but finding someone to take on such a small job would be tough in and of itself and I'm pretty sure it would end up more than $450 when all is said and done. These guys do not just charge for the cost of materials...they have insurance, bills to pay, gas to travel and usually charge more just to make up for the lost day to do it. (I've renovated an investment property and was contractor on the project while also doing a majority of the work myself....also, my brother is a builder and even he can't afford to take a day to do something small like this for me and I just don't have the time right now)....also, if I were to go this route, I wouldn't be happy using the wall as the back, or even pillows for that matter...I would have to do full back cushions as well. It takes more than just plywood to build them and that amount of a good foam is not that cheap and neither is any kind of decent fabric. It's another one of those projects that sounds like it would be cheap but would add up quick by the time I'm happy with it. I appreciate your enthusiasm though. I know that it's frustrating when you have a great idea and vision of something but just can't convince someone else.

Karen....The base of the table is pretty small...in the picture, the 3 chairs are touching corner to corner and are still not touching the base so I do still think that both the width and the depth matter...If they were a little "skinnier" they could be pushed over toward each other a little more before they touched. (I actually made templates to make sure that I was right about this and I was....the square made in the center of the seats (to accomodate the table base) when the chairs are all touching each other gets smaller with thinner chairs and since the ones I had still weren't touching the base, it would help. I agree that finding some thift/consignment chairs would be a great way to go and as much as I love doing that, I just don't have time right now to look not to mention that ever since the economy got so bad, the places around me never have anything but junk anymore....so sad....If there is a way to shop local consignments/thrift stores through some kind of online portal though, I'd love to know how. I checked craigslist but found nothing.
    CoConsultants - That is what I wanted to see......not how many people fit around a certain size table, but how far chairs could be pushed in around a round table...I'm excited to check the site you mentioned. I never realized restaurant chairs were smaller so maybe I'll find a better selection going that route! I'll post back what I find.
    (ps, thanks for sticking up for me ; )
    Carolyn - My head is still spinning at your calculations but my table measurement is accurate and your right about the fact that 18" chairs would fit great but when I try a search by size, it doesn't seem to work out too well.

Phew...Okay...Sorry that was a long winded reply...For anyone that I didn't reply to directly, I still do appreciate the help. I still haven't ordered anything yet. I think that I'm just afraid that as soon as I settle for one of my "maybes", I'll find the perfect chair. Giving myself another day or 2 to check out the restaurant chairs.
    Anyway...Let me know what you think about that back wall unless it's a bad idea to change the subject at this point. (Saw a similar stencil done in lime green & white & loved it but..again..don't think adding another patter & color would work with granite so I'm going to soon be looking for photos with how people were able to bring in patterns with busy granite in the room and will be starting a post on that..(Ran out of time to show mdf wall but will post it later)..If I would have had my way, the counter-top would have been opal-white quartzite, but I lost that one : ( The pic I posted is similar to ours.
  • PRO
    karen paul interiors
    11 years ago
    Ok, here's a picture of the Starck Ghost Chair that measures 15" X 15". It has been knocked off by many and is available in many colors. http://www.dwr.com/product/victoria-ghost-side-chair.do?sortby=ourPicks
  • PRO
    COConsultants
    11 years ago
    I love the Ghost Chair and was designed by Phillipe Starcke I love his work good pick. This is a real comeback chair story it is back again but with a new name. Kartel also sells the chair and I like their quality a bit better.
  • PRO
    karen paul interiors
    11 years ago
    I tried to talk a client into his Ghost Chairs and her comment was,"....but they're so...um..invisible!". :) Tight space, perfect spec. but we ended up with an equally delightful little number.
  • Alice Crawford
    11 years ago
    Thanks for taking the time to address all of us who responded to you...that took a bit of your precious time and it's appreciated. Good luck! Alice
  • Debbie G
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Having some computer problems so haven't checked back in a few days but still haven't settled on any chairs yet.
    While I don't care for the round back on the ghost chair, I have seen some that I really do like,,,,they are just too far over my budget.

CoConsultants - I got excited when you mentioned that restaurant chairs were usually smaller but I haven't figured out how to find any....My searches always end up with the same chairs that I've already seen.
    I also haven't quite figured out how to use that www.spec simple.com site you mentioned. It seems that you can only search one manufaccturer at a time and there are no prices listed. Any suggestions?

Hoping my computer will continue to cooperate so I can get back to making a decision.
  • pivoines
    11 years ago
    I think the round table is the problem, if you don't want a booth style unit, i would go for a bench,with no back, against the wall. a rectangular table narrower than usual, pushed against the wall when bench not needed then your 3 chairs would fit (the ones on the pic.) 2 on longer side and 3rd one end back to the kitchen.
  • PRO
    karen paul interiors
    11 years ago
    Google....contract dining chairs.
  • Debbie G
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thanks Karen....Tried the "contract dining chair" search but really didn't come up with anything new and prices for what I did like was still a problem. Finally pulled the trigger and ordered a set of the Zuo Alex chair at $99. Really hoping these work. My only concern is the shade of white....every image that I found just showed it with a white background which wasn't helpful at all. Really hoping they are more on the creamy side of off-white vs. a greyish white but I guess I'll know soon enough. I ended up paying a little more to order through Home Depot just to have the option to return them to the store for a full refund vs. having to pay for return shipping anywhere else. The cost to do that is usually as much as the chairs themselves! Yikes.
    I'll post a picture of them in the space as soon as I get them. Really hoping they work so I can move on to making the drum pendant for over the table!
  • elcieg
    11 years ago
  • elcieg
    11 years ago
    BILLY Wall Shelf · More Info

I MADE A WINDOW SEAT FROM THIS IKEA PIECE. TOPPED IT WITH A PRETTY CUSHION. IT CAME OUT GREAT.

ALSO, LOVE THE GHOST CHAIR SOLUTION. IT VISUALLY MAY HELP.
    Dining Delight · More Info

P.S. LOVE YOUR TABLE, TOO.