What are the counter tops made of?

ramanning
11 years ago
Kitchen Island · More Info

Comments (8)

• PRO
    House of L
    11 years ago
    The counters seem to be 3/4" thickness honed black absolute or soapstone.
  • ramanning
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thank you
  • PRO
    Actual-Size Architecture
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    3/4" yes, but they're Richlite, oiled. My wife prefers them oiled, I'm happy to let them patina their own way. Paperstone also make a good product, and some third competitor whose name I forget.
  • bonniezemont
    10 years ago
    I just want to know if "Real People" live in this home and use this kitchen! I dont see it as practical at all...who cleans this??? A real kitchen has cooking residue that would attache to all the "decorative" elements and especially the odd placed books! Please give us some Real people spaces!!!!
  • PRO
    Ingrid Thiessen Landscape Architect
    10 years ago
    I love this kitchen! It reminds me of my first house which had a similar layout and feeling to this photo. (I see from the other photos that your kitchen is 3x larger, but mine wasn't. The entire kitchen was the size of this photo and I loved it). The memories are flooding in. I would place my newborn daughter in the window seat (where your cook books are)where she could watch me while I worked. The small alley layout was very functional. My alley kitchen had open shelves. It was fine for dishes one used everyday but not for those used periodically. Consequently I think enclosing them in glass is a brilliant solution. My present kitchen (of 10 years) has books close to the stove top and glass doors on a few of the cupboards and I have never had a problem with grease on either. You may be right about the exhaust fan. Ours is quite powerful and it probably prevents grease buildup.
  • PRO
    Actual-Size Architecture
    10 years ago
    What a wonderful comment, Ingrid! A favorite kitchen of mine was my grandmothers. It had an extremely low ceiling, but with oiled wood joists and floorboards above -- such warmth of material, and incandescent lighting to make it glow. I've always wanted a client who would appreciate such a cozy feeling. In a kitchen you can get away with more than other spaces it since most attention is focused on the counters.
  • PRO
    Ingrid Thiessen Landscape Architect
    10 years ago
    The word "cosy" just popped out. At 800 sq. ft. on two floors my first house was cosy alright! Some of my friends described it as a "1912 doll house". Once, someone knocked on my door because she had lived in the house as a child and wanted to see it again. I think there were 6 siblings. Yikes! - I felt crowded when husband and child arrived. Well I hope you find your client, who appreciates small - done well. And you certainly know how to detail. I would attach a picture, but it was in the days before digital.