msmitoagain

Cheaper way to kill fleas on your dogs

msmitoagain

The below is what I use on my dogs. We have 20 dogs, due to having deer hunting dogs, rabbit hunting dogs and rescued dogs because we live in the country. This information came from the MS Dept. of Wildlife, Parks and Fisheries Hunting Dog Forum. I used it last year and this year when some of our beagles came home with fleas and it works. After killing the infestation and then re-applying for a couple of months, I didn't continue using it because they are all penned and the fleas were gone.

I am not a vet. So I don't want anybody reaming me out for posting this. Use only at your own risk, but I have told several of friends about this and they are now using it too with no dire effects. It worked for us and it's an affordable solution to fleas. I have not found any ticks on the dogs either. I used it as a spot-on and also sprayed their houses/pens with it. But mainly what I'm trying to point out, use less if you are not sure to be sure you don't over dose your dog.

FROM THE MDWPF FORUM, remarks cut from several posters:

If you have flea problems i recomend using BAYER - TREE AND SHRUB spray it works wonders , i apply 12 cc's once a month down the back on my grown hounds , you can buy it at wal-mart , Home Depot and i think i saw it at Lowes

We had a bad tick and flea infestation at the camp where the dogs are housed. Dogs were covered in ticks and fleas. I used the Bayer TREE AND SHRUB.. Let me tell ya that stuff rid the dogs of all the ticks and the fleas were minimal.. That stuff works great.. I diluted with water and sprayed all the dogs.

I need to go back this weekend and do another treatment. I will try the 12cc's that has got to be easier than spraying. :)

Just put it on your dogs neck full strength out of the bottle and rub it in.You can dilute and spray the kennels if you want or you can put Borax laundry detergent on your kennel floors.Just sprinkle it like a lite snow and dampen it so that it will not blow away.Both works great on fleas.

This is what I told my friends:

It talks about using Bayre Tree and Shrub to spray yards or to use it as a spot on. I bought a bottle at walmart this weekend it was $19 . I think I got the large bottle, there may be a smaller one available.

The Bayre might be a little more now than when I bought it. We use a syringe that I got from the vet supply to pull it out of the bottle. But we do not use a needle on the syringe when applying the liquid to the dog. Just squirt it on between the shoulder blades and rub it in with the end of the syringe.

We talked about it and we said that we would use 6 cc's on our big beagles. And, 3 to 4 cc's on the smaller beagles, and 1-2 cc's on the small yard dogs.

We think when they are referring to 12 cc's per hound, that they are talking about Walkers or Coon Hounds 50-60 Lb dogs.

The adult male Bluetick coonhound will normally weigh between 55 to 80 pounds and be between 22 and 27 inches tall.

• DixieRose2

I believe that Bayer is the manufacturer of Advantix for dogs. Yet I understand why many pet owners have resulted to using their insecticide product made with Imidacloprid for their pets. Many people who own pets simply cannot afford to spend over $50 per 3 item/box of Advantix etc. for their pets. I am unemployed and have 5 dogs to care for. One was my dog, the other 4 were dumped here ( I live in a rural area where pet dumping is common). I cannot buy over $1000 worth of Advantix a year. I tried the Bayer Tree and Shrub imidacloprid on these dogs and it worked great. I live in a wooded area where fleas are horrendous in the summer. The fleas come in from the woods and fields into the yard; you can walk outside in white socks and have hundreds on your socks. They end up in the house and are difficult to remove. I would rather use this product than see animals tortured to death by fleas. Fleas can kill your pets!!!! I've volunteered in animal rescue and have seen dogs killed by fleas.
    As far as naysayers stating that it is not recommended to use this product on pets; it is no more of an off-label use than what doctors do every day with prescription drugs. Also, any product that you spray in your yard, ends up on your pets, in your house on your carpet, you breathe it in, etc. There is no completely safe product, but if you use it sparingly, you may lessen the long term effects.

Best Answer
  • ukusa

To Hortagent.... I hope you were on your government job lunch break when you put your two cents of ILLEGAL PC crap on the subject and that we the tax payer were not paying for you to join this site, cos that's more ILLEGAL in my book?

For people still looking for a generic "Tree and Shrub" with the single 1.47% Imidacloprid ingredient can now buy ANDRO Tree & Shrub at Walmart.

Bayers Imidacloprid came off patent a while ago, and now other brands are making and selling it. I found the ANDRO over at Walmart the other day, but it's only in select stores so check their website to see which local stores are carrying it. It's only $11 a 32 oz bottle. SAME chemical as ADVANTAGE only Advantage uses 9% concentration in each spot-on vial.

PLEASE use this produce responsibly folks.... Europe has banned it's use as a systemic application on crops/plants/trees/shrubs due to it being highly toxic to Honey Bees. Studies have reported that just one application in you back yard can have devastating effects on pollinators causing a total colony wipe-out within days. (See Imidacloprid and bees on wikipedia) There is currently a move here in the USA to have this chemical banned by the EPA. So far, the movement to ban has only resulted in a diluted or weaker solution being sold. But, it won't be long before it is taken off the market completely.

advice on choices?

Oh, my! What a great kitchen. You must be so looking forward to drawing this phase of your dream building to a close so you can enjoy cooking, living and hanging out in this space that already looks warm and inviting! While I would normally wonder taking up counterspace by pulling the uppers all the way down to the countertop, it looks like you have planned a generous amount of counter surface area. I totally love the “Hoosier”-look you have created by bring the cabinets and appliance garage right down to the countertop! Glad to hear you chose a light flooring option. Especially during the winter months when there tends to be lower natural light, I am sure you will appreciate opting to keep it light. I think you have a unique and beautiful home in which your finishes should be selected to keep your logs as the standout feature. It makes no sense to me to cover them up any more than you have to! If you must have a backsplash, I would keep it as unobtrusive as you can and make it fit with the logs. If there has to be one, I kinda don’t mind the tin suggestion, but would avoid shiny finishes, as you run the risk of them imposing a brash urban or modern vibe that just doesn’t seem to be in keeping with your logs (and the cabinets that compliment them perfectly.) What about a copper coloured tin? Or putting the aging finish on tin that gives it a copper patina. You might get a more natural look that way. Enjoy your new home! Marie

Husband is fighting me EVERY step of the WAY - aaarrrrgghhh

My husband and I are going through a remodel project currently inside and out, surprisingly we are on the same page about many things and compromise with each other on some things. He was even open minded with me hiring a designer who he happens to like and just during a consultation with her, she gave me a resolution for a design dilemma which added $4000.00 to our cost but it resolved an issue that was driving me crazy and he went along with it. Now for the bad haha. My husband knows a good deal about construction and is a bit of a perfectionist, however he insists on doing some of the work himself and was insulted that I questioned his abilities, so I had to remind him of the 3 projects he did at our investment property where the first 95% was great and the last 5% was not and made it look like a hack job that irritates me. Right now he has a team of professionals at our home so hopefully he will do the right thing.

1 Room, 3 Challenges - all advice welcome

First of all you have a stunning home. Congratulations on moving to your your new home. Secondly, I personally liked your sectional. It looks like the room can handle the size plus it provides awesome seating. Coffee table, entertainment stand, all beautiful and works. I thought you nailed it better with the first configuration. You were so close you just needed to bring it home. I agree with Groveraxle I would lighten the room colour as she showed. Then I’d put a nice console table behind the exposed back of the sectional. Maybe move the one from the wall beside the windows with the ottomans if the size works. Then I would have used the two dark chairs and framed out your fireplace. The problem with both configurations is that the fireplace was getting left out off to the side in the corner. Make your add’l seating there. Keep the rugs from the second configuration. I love the cowhide. Hang a huge round black wrought iron light fixture chandelier 2 or 3 tiered if possible. Add an antique door against the brick above your fireplace to take the eye up and balance the height of the windows on the opposite wall. Stack chopped wood in that cutout where you have the vase. Last but not least consider light colour airy sheers to match your new wall colour on a black wrought iron rod (pick up from the chandelier) to frame out your windows especially the smaller arches. I think the devil is in the details and it is already beautiful. You’ve got great taste!

Countertop Fail

Most warranties in general are just a feel good thing...I agree, Joe, worthless. But I have had a couple warranties come through in the past. And you're right about #1 and #2. Last year I measured a kitchen. Their countertop had a HUGE crack in the corner...like the San Andreas fault line! hahaha. They had a lazy susan and NO support in the back corner. The cabinet or countertop installer should have put a cleat against both walls in the corner to support that top. The homeowner was blaming the countertop manufacturer. But it was installed improperly by Lowes.
  • GotsMeKatz

Signed up just to post this here.
    Recommended Usage at 9.1% concentration should be around
    .23ml for kitten under 5lbs/
    .4m for cats 5-9lbs/
    .8ml for cats 9lbs++/
    .4ml for dogs under 10lbs/
    1.0ml for dogs 11-20lbs/
    2.5ml for dogs 21-55lbs/
    4.0ml for dogs 55lbs++/
    ML are = to CC 4ml = 4cc .27ml = .27cc
    Apply at base of cats skull and or between dogs shoulder blades.
    If you use a product like advantage, foaming of the mouth can occur, which is a reaction to the alcohol within the solution. It shouldn't harm anything with a vertebra.

Also, for cats look into "Program" oral and injectable, key ingredient lufenuron. For dogs look into Sentinel.

• ppongz

Did some research and came up with this. I think before you put this chemical on your beloved pets you might want to, at a minimum, contact them and check it out. I did some research and found some information by a veterinary professional that works for Bayer. This is what I found out:
    The Bayer Advanced Garden product is not made by the same division that produces the animal topical products. The garden product is not formulated for use on animal skin and there are ingredients in it that are not approved for use in animals. Basically, it has one ingredient that is the same, but the other different ones should not be used on animals. Some products in the garden product line are very toxic to animals.

• Max66

After reading your post, I decided to research the inert ingredients for the Bayer product. The inert ingredient in the Bayer formula is Propylene Glycol.
    This compound appears to be rather benign to man and dogs. Taken directly from the MSDS for this chemical:
    "No adverse systemic changes were reported in rats or dogs following repeated dietary exposure to high concentrations of propylene glycol."

• savannarose

Ok, if you have a pack of dogs there's no way you're going to want to do this, but my mother taught us to diligently pick off & kill fleas every day until they no longer reproduce. It works on my one dog.Haven't had fleas for years. If he would get reinfected, I'd just start over.
    And my 2nd helpful hint: use ivermectin sheep drench instead of Heartgard chewables.Huge amount of money saved. You can buy it & disposable syringes (for measuring-not injecting) at Amazon.It costs between 2-3 cents a month.Dosages for dogs by lb available on the internet.
    Heartworms are becoming resistant to medications & there are other options besides ivermectin. But if you're using ivermectin, no sense paying all that money for expensive, meat flavored dog treats with the same ingredient.

• Pyewacket

If you can "pick off and kill fleas", then you must be able to catch flies with chopsticks too.

Those suckers jump around, and you are more likely to just end up infested yourself if you try to "pick off & kill fleas". Even with a flea comb you are highly likely to miss many of the little buggers. Not to mention the whole self-infestation thing.

Thanks for reminding me about ivermectin sheep dip. Last time I checked prices on that, it was only available by the liter (about a quart) and was stupid expensive, so I didn't recommend it.

Checking on Amazon I found it in an 8 oz bottle for under $30. I have updated my ivermecting for doggies thread accordingly.

RE using DE to kill fleas: I've never seen that DE has ever affected any insect in any visible way. But if you must use the stuff, make sure you wear a breathing filter. The stuff is he!! on your lungs - and the lungs of your pets, I would imagine - if breathed in.

• alittlehelp

Nitenpyram, the active ingredient in Capstar- any ideas on where to find it?
    Preferably pure as possible.
    Need a doable way to get this for my indoor cats, not affordable otherwise.
    We are infested, after the rescue of 2 abandoned ferals (who are now happily fostered elsewhere, on their way to a good home ;)
    Thanks for any help (yes, I am heavily researching as regards safety, this is my starting point.).

• mersiepoo

I would try to use a more natural way to kill fleas/ticks on dogs, I know Gardens Alive sells products that aren't quite so toxic to animals. We had a bad experience with my parent's dog. She was older (8 years old) but otherwise no apparent health problems. They had always applied frontline on her, but apparently something happened which did not agree with her. After my mom applied it, she said that the dog "shivered all over" after the application. A few hours later she started having her first seizures ever. It went down hill from there, more and more medications heaped on her (barbiturates, etc) and they finally had to put her to sleep as she was deteriorating fast. I'm not sure what the active ingredient is, but I've heard other people saying that their dogs died from it as well.

• Janelle Smith

I LOVE THIS. I don't care what anyone says about risk to dogs or cats. It's an insecticide formulated to kill insects not mammals. I use it the recommended dose of 1cc per pound of body weight for both my dogs and my cats and dilute it to 1:1 in water for a spray on pet beds. I've used it like this for three years spring-fall and treat once a month spot on and the beds. Works GREAT with no side effects to any of my animals. I've turned all my friends onto it and they report the same result. The $60 price tag on the 3 dose 9.1 solution patented by advantage is a government supported pharmaceutical company rip off!!

• mersiepoo

My parents actually used "frontline" which is supposed to be approved for dogs/cats, but I've heard others say their animals suffered from the stuff too.

• drneutrino

Janelle Im SHOCKED you would be so naive. The rip off is that chemical companies (monsanto/dupont etc) are killing us all with various HIDDEN chemicals in our food and water. ALL OF YOU LISTEN UP. That crap at the garden center has INERT ingredients which are OFTEN more poisonous than the main ingredient. In the case of Gyphosate/Monsanto the thing that creates Roundup-Ready capabilities and that everone uses on their weeds, the inert ingredient has an adjuvant (thing that makes it stick to grass) that cause frogs to change their sex. Go AHEAD and laugh. Your dogs may appear fine but feeding/spraying them with a garden formulation rather than a specific pharmaceutical grade will surely effect them or their offspring from the INERTS. No company is required to disclose their Inerts or test their inerts.

Ive been gardening for over 60 years!!!

• angelcakes1995

Could someone please tell me if it's the bayer advanced tree & shrub protect and feed I'm in uk and that's all I can find or is it bonide tree and shrub drench insecticide to use on dogs please xx

• mersiepoo

And, like drneutrino said, inert doesn't mean inert. I felt physically sick when I was reading about the daft way the parks dept was going to solve a lily pad overgrowth problem in a man made lake...they're going to continually dose the pond with some sort of 'safe' glyphosate product....it makes me shudder to see the ignorant writer of that article claim that "it's safe for humans, animals, etc etc' because MONSANTO SAID IT'S SO. Oh yes, Monsanto, who has brought so many GREAT things into being, like DDT, PCB's, Agents Orange, Yellow, Purple, Blue, dioxins....and of course ALL of those were safe too, weren't they?? Now they've unleashed GMO's upon us as well as the hundreds of products with glyphosate in them. People are continuing to poison their own backyards and then they wonder why the cancer rates have been going up every single year.

And yet, people still use the cancer causing crap as they continue to poison the earth...la la la....

• Ann Hildebrandt

alittlehelp I found generic capstar on ebay, from a very good little company who heps rescues treat their pets very economically. They sell 200 capstart, either 1-26lbs or 26+ pounds, ....for $79.99. free ship. Thats about $1000 worth of capstar for eighty dollars . and yuo can make it go farther, by buying the larger doasge capsule....because there is powder inside each capsule and can be divided up to go farther. Also, there was a delay of a couple of weeks on my order and they sent me two hundred additional capsules!. They work great. http://www.ebay.com/itm/302003350190?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

• Corinne Zellner

I have been using Advantage Plus (the kind with the insect growth regulator that keeps eggs from hatching) for years for both my cats and Collies. I buy the large dog size (over 55 lbs.) and using a syringe with needle, (buy 3 or 6 cc size at feed store; a cc is the same as a ml), draw off the proper dosage for their weight (just remove the cap, poke needle through inside seal and keep using the same hole until contents are gone), remove needle and apply along neck and back. The strength is exactly the same on both the dog and cat packages, just the amount of imidacloprid is changed. (Actually the IGR/insect growth regulator is stronger on the cat version.) I wanted to check out the regular garden spray to see what the strength is, so thanks for the tip. It is actually a weaker solution than the Advantage, which makes sense for a surface spray. For the person who suggested ivermectin, do not use on cats or Rough or Smooth Collies! (Border and Bearded Collies have different makeup so it might be okay for them. Some Collies are okay with ivermectin, but you should have genetic testing done first. I just avoid it.)

• Corinne Zellner

Don't use permethrin or pyrethroids on cats! If you must spray premises, make sure it is diluted and dry before allowing them on treated surfaces. The imidacloprid should be much safer and in higher concentrations they even use it to kill termites. You can buy concentrated insect growth regulators as well to add to the spray to prevent eggs and babies from becoming adults. Precor/methoprene (which is in Advantage II) and Nylar are good for fleas and other bugs and are safe for pets; gentrol is good for roaches but does not work on fleas. Supposedly none of them work on ticks, and even Bayer says Advantage will not kill ticks, but it will, just takes awhile. The concentrate bottles of IGR are small and inexpensive, you only need a little, just add per the label instructions.

• Corinne Zellner

This is not a recommendation to use for off-label purposes, just a guide. I compared Advantage with Bayer Tree and Shrub and thought I would share with others.

Bayer Advantage extra large dog has 6 vials with 4.0 mL per vial= 24 ml @

$50 and up. (I do use a needle and syringe to use just what each pet needs.) At the 2.94% imidacloprid, you will need 3 times the Advantage dosages. There are 3785 cc or ml in a gallon; the Tree and Shrub concentrate runs from $77 to $125.

Dosage at 9.1% concentration of imidacloprid (like Advantage) should be around:

.23ml for kitten under 5lbs/

.4ml for cats 5-9lbs/

.8ml for cats 9lbs++/

.4ml for dogs under 10lbs/

1.0ml for dogs 11-20lbs/

2.5ml for dogs 21-55lbs/

4.0ml for dogs 55lbs++/

Multiply these amounts x 3 for the Tree and Shrub (2.94%) strength

Milliliters (ml) are the same as cubic centimeters (cc) 4ml = 4cc .25 ml = .25 cc (Numbers on the left of the decimal point are whole cc/ml and on the right side of the decimal point means it is tenths of a cc or ml), .4 is 4 tenths of a cc, while 4.0 is 4 cc/ml; 4.5 ml would be 4 cc plus 5/10, or half of a cc. Tap the syringe to get air bubbles out .

Note that the cat and small dog doses are in tenths of milligrams or cc’s NOT whole ml/cc. On a syringe there are large marks for each half cc and numbers at whole cc’s with each .5 cc (which is 1/2 cc) having 5 little lines marked on the syringe. One cc/ml will have 10 marks total. At feed supply stores they have syringes up to 30 cc, but ones over 12 cc are harder to push the plunger on the syringe. Needles fit any syringe and range in size from the smallest around 21 or 22 gauge to large gauge at 18.

Apply between shoulder blades and down the back; keep them away from furniture and clothes until dry. Products include various inert ingredients so you may want to test first. Don't reapply before 7 to 10 days.

• Dawn Seaman

I have been a dog breeder and groomer for nearly 30 years... in the last 5 or 6 years I have noticed more and more dogs having flea problems even when on a regular regimen of fipronil the active ingredient in Frontline and many other flea and tick preventatives... when my own dogs started having problems I decided I wanted to try something else and read that Advantage uses Imidacloprid as their active ingredient and decided to give it a try... after bathing them all in Dawn (best flea killing shampoo there is), I decided to try the tree and shrub formula after reading testimonials from several satisfied animal owners... most recommended 1cc per 5lbs of body weight, but since I was unsure decided to go with 1cc per 10lbs and round up to 1 additional cc for animals fall in in between weights... this worked perfectly well and I now swear by the stuff... I put a small drop in front of each ear, for both cats and dogs to deter ear mites, and the remainder between shoulder blades and rub in... have not seen a single flea on my animals since and recommend it to all of my customers... the brand I am currently using is Spectracide since Bayer added the additional ingredients... have bought it at Walmart and Menards

• larrylwill

The only thing I could find at Walmart or Home Depot with imidacloprid is

Bayer 701100A 2 In 1 Systemic Rose and Flower Care Granules and its only 0.22% and Granules. I would have no idea how to mix it so I knew the dose. It seems all the Bayer stuff has added more ingredients and almost every thing else has changed from imidacloprid to something else. I did find this on the net though. It is 21.4% So maybe a really cheap source but needs diluted. Opinions? For a 15 lb cat. Size/DescriptionPrice/Ea.Qtybottle (27.5 oz)

Buy 1: $24.31 each

Buy 2 or more: $23.05 each$24.31

http://www.domyownpestcontrol.com/msds/IMIDACLOPRID2FTILABEL.pdf

• Marjorie Mullan

Here is the instructions I use for Bonide Tree and Shrub. Don't use the Bayer product as they added fertilizer a few years ago. https://www.dropbox.com/s/ng64ruofx9vjks6/Advantage%20Doses%20for%20Tree%20and%20Shrub.doc?dl=0

• larrylwill

I believe I wrote:

The only thing I could find at Walmart or Home Depot with imidacloprid is Bayer 701100A 2 In 1 Systemic Rose and Flower Care Granules and its only 0.22% and Granules. What I meant is it was the ONLY thing without fertilizer which I also said. It seems all the Bayer stuff has added more ingredients and almost every thing else has changed from imidacloprid to something else. There was NO Bonide Tree and Shrub. The do not even sell it on the web, It comes from a supplier NOT Walmart so its not stocked. https://www.walmart.com/search/search-ng.do?search_query=Bonide%20Tree%20and%20Shrub

It also does not say how much imidacloprid % it is.

• larrylwill

Here is a place you can buy pure imidacloprid 27.5 oz at 21.4% https://tinyurl.com/jllnkmp Here also is a guide to using it for dogs and cats http://www.lisaviolet.com/cathouse/advantage.html An example. Diluted to about 45% is about 9% and a cat over 10 lbs needs 0.8ml, one bottle is enough to last longer than the cat or dog for $25 shipped.

• Corinne Zellner

I downloaded the ingredient list but they did not identify what the other 76% of the ingredients were besides the imidacloprid, which kinda scares me. When cats have had allergic reactions to cheaper knock-off spot on versions of Advantage, it is usually because of the supposedly "inert" ingredients. Like others have commented, it is hard to find the Bayer Tree and Shrub spray without the added fertilizer or other insecticides. I have used the website you provided the link to, Do My Own Pest Control in Georgia in the past, and they are very helpful. I wonder if they could find out more information? When I had concerns about using cholecalciferol as a rat bait, they gave me the contact for the company so I could find out about studies they had done about safety. Just bought a 6 month supply of the 55+ large dog size of Advantage II for just under $60 on Amazon (which will actually go farther because I adjust the dosage for actual weight for both cats and dogs) but it would be great to have an alternative!

• larrylwill

when I get it I will call the manufacture

• larrylwill

I got my imidacloprid today, its a white milky liquid. I mixed it 2 cc to 3 cc of water which should give me something less than 7%. I then loaded a syringe (no needle) with 0.5 cc. The cat is about 15 lb so I will try this to look for interactions. I haven't found the other ingredients yet, but every source has other ingredients. I even read the whole paper and it lists everything safety uses cautions etc, bot no other ingredients.

• larrylwill

I called Prime source LLC and nobody knows what the other ingredients are, but they don't think they are harmful just filler like water or alcohol. Just about anything you buy has other ingredients even food that they don't tell you.

• gardenerlorisc_ia

I tried all those cheaper methods a few years ago when I had a serious infestation of fleas. Figured it came in with the squirrels that eat out in the yard. So, I got the Bayer mentioned above sprayed the yard extensively several times, and tried all the sprays at WM and spread the borax and table salt all over the house. Had baking pans in the bathroom with the Dawn in the water to keep them from jumping back out and the light shining above to attract them to jump into the pan.

Absolute none of all that worked and the dogs and I were still full of bites.

I gave up and went into the vet's office and got 2 cans of bombs and not a bit of fleas to this day. I would never mess with all that other stuff again. I still have 12 boxes of salt! All told I probably spent as much on things that didn't work as the $75. or so I spent at the vet's for the good stuff.

• Corinne Zellner

Like others have mentioned, the Bayer Tree & Shrub spray is difficult to find without other additives, and wanting to know more about other ingredients that might be included in other products, I did a little researching. Found this site that has a list of other products with various strengths of imidacloprid, which has the label information. Bayer is listed down a little further on the page. Most of these seem to have higher concentrations, so keeping in mind that Advantage spot on is around 9%, it would be a good idea to make a diluted solution, then titrate that down to the amount for your needs. I would definitely not use anything over 10% at full strength. (Also remember that in most cases, the spot on pipettes are effective for a wide range of weights, for a large dog, 55 lbs. and up, so a little goes a long way. Think how hard it would be to apply a safe dose if it is more than twice as strong.) Keep in mind this stuff is toxic to bees, and probably fish, so if you are going to use it as a space spray, be careful with it, avoid applying when windy or when rain is expected, or near water sources.

http://www.savegeorgiashemlocks.org/Labels_&_MSDS.htm

You will see other insecticides that are combined with imidacloprid; if they end with "thrin" it will be a synthetic version of pyrethrin, so avoid using if you have cats.

• Corinne Zellner

Thanks to Larry and Marjorie for the info! Also, for others who have noted the imidacloprid did not work, it is possible that the bugs in your area have developed a tolerance to it, that is why you need to rotate chemicals (just like you do with wormers.) The other thing is you need something like an IGR that will keep eggs from hatching. Adulticides do not affect eggs.

• Nancy Hester

I've ordered the Imidacloprid from the link Larry listed which is 21.4%. I got the dosage recommendations for Advantage, which is 9.1%, and I want to make sure I am converting the dosage right. Does this look right?

1 cc or ml per 5 pounds

Recommended Usage at 9.1% concentration should be around:

0.23ml for kitten under 5lbs/ = 0.1ml of 21.4%

0.4ml for cats 5-9lbs/ = 0.17ml of 21.4%

0.8ml for cats 9lbs++/ = 0.33ml of 21.4%

0.4ml for dogs under 10lbs/ = 0.17ml of 21.4%

1.0ml for dogs 11-20lbs/ = 0.42ml of 21.4%

2.5ml for dogs 21-55lbs/ = 0.04ml of 21.4%

4.0ml for dogs 55lbs++/ = 1.67ml of 21.4%

• larrylwill

I used 0.8cc for my 10 lb +lb cat. Slightly under 9.1% but close enough.

So yours does look right.

• Nancy Hester

Thanks. I have 2 small cats, 2 fat cats, 2 small dogs, 2 medium dogs, and 2 big dogs so I need most of the chart lol

• Moriah D

For those that tried the Amdro version, how long did it take for it to start killing the fleas?

• Moriah D

Just an update on my end, I used the recommended dosages of the Amdro product...and I have seen no change in the flea population on my dogs. It has been 10 days since applying.

Ive also used DE, many times, and that never seems to work.

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

• cinnamon01

To Nancy and Larry: Did you dilute to product at all before applying?

• larrylwill

I wrote instructions for already diluted product. Noi need to dilute it further unless you store it so it can evaporate.

• terutt

Read the comment cautioning because the dog treatment is made by a different division than the yard treatment. Well yeah, because this is how corporations work (each division has their own Profit and Loss statement, so you are going to have different "providers" of the product based upon what market segment they are serving).

• Mandy White

larrylwill can you explain how you diluted? Say for 1 gallon of water how much imidaclpoprid would I use? And how many ml for 21-55lb dogs?

• larrylwill

I have a bottle of imidacloprid 27.5 oz at 21.4%. Mix 0.7 oz of imidacloprid 21.4% to 1 oz of water to get approx 2oz of 9% concentrate. For 4 oz of concentrate double the amounts. According to Nancy you need 2.5ml of the 9% concentrate for dogs 21-55lbs. 1ml = 1cc if you prefer.

• Islam AshraF

I learned first hand a few years ago that getting rid of fleas is no easy task. It sounds simple enough, but the problem is they have a tendency to keep coming back.

After 20 years of owning pets I’d never had to deal with them before. So I went to the store, loaded up a bunch of flea products and got to work. After each treatment I’d let out a sigh of relief thinking they were finally gone, and yet a few days later the fleas would be back.

The products I tried only offered temporary solutions, they weren’t getting rid of fleas for good. Don’t let yourself fall into that same trap. In this article I’ll share with you what works for getting rid of fleas, what doesn’t, and why fleas are so tricky to get rid of.

https://www.wikifleas.com/2018/05/6-easy-natural-ways-to-get-rid-of-dog.html

https://www.wikifleas.com/2018/06/Top-6-Effective-Flea-Treatments-for-dogs.html

• Lisa Michele
    last year
    last modified: last year

Dose is 0.05ml/pound. Multiply 0.05 times your pet’s weight for the dose

(Used in lower doses with same effect)

Cats up to 9 pounds – 0.4ml
    Cats 10+ pounds – 0.8ml
    Dogs 11-20 pounds – 1.0ml
    Dogs 21-30 pounds – 1.2ml
    Dogs 31-40 pounds – 1.6ml
    Dogs 41-50 pounds – 2.0ml
    Dogs 51-60 pounds – 2.4ml
    Dogs 61-70 pounds – 2.8ml
    Dogs 71-80 pounds – 3.2ml

• mr1010
    last year

A simple, safe and effective way to kill fleas on your dog- Just bath in Dawn

dishwashing liquid. Soap dog up and wait 5 min, then rinse. Careful around

the head as soap may sting eyes, You also need to spray or bomb your

home or where dog hangs out. You may need to repeat dog bath in 10-14

days when eggs re-hatch. Dawn will not harm your dog. I've been using

this method for many years. I also use a Seresta collar and if fleas are

especially bad, like after a hike, sometimes I use Frontline Gold.

Ok so you have a insect problem on your trees shrubs fruit trees grass, you treat all areas with the insect problems with this product, your dogs and cats even your children are out side playing rolling around on the ground hiding in bushes behind trees and even up in the trees eating the fruit from the trees. Therefore I am almost positive that this product is safe to be used on animals...

• 54fi10

Ok, dont know if anyone cares anymore but, I must vent. First, all those who have a problem with all this, go find other folk who you can impart your hollyer than thou wisdom upon. To the rest, I have 4 cats, always used Advantage since the early 90's always worked wonderful but then they changed it and I thought I was going nuts. All of a sudden we have fleas and this made no sense because heck it worked great in So Fl but NC has more and differant fleas? Yhea, I dont think so. So, I went on ebay and got original Advantage till I couldn't anymore. Mind you, not made of cash so we get extra large dog and use it between the cats at the proper doseage. Ok so now all I can get is Advantage2. Now we have fleas and now even the horable disgusting tapeworm. My cats are hunters. I cant take that from them and keep them in 24/7, so what now? I start reading. Found this study. I will post the link in a minute 'cause I'm a tech idiot and don't want to loose what I'm writing. Turns out I'm not crazy (who knew) the active ingerdiant in original Advantage was at 10.% the new formula is only 8.8% with another ingredient which apparently is only effective for 2 or 3 weeks and not at %100. So the point I'm trying to make is. When the tree and shrub stuff is duluted whichever you use it has to be at least at 10.% for it to work. Another point Im trying to make is, all this stuff about fleas changing is a bunch of bunk. I don't know where that started, maybe with Beyer but it is the product that changed not the fleas or the pets. If Beyer changed Advantage because the fleas changed than why isnt the new stuff working. I'll tell you why, because everything changes and nothing works anymore. Same reason I have to buy two boxes of cereal to equal the one box from a few years ago. So, now I'm thinking why cant I get this suff in bulk? I mean more bulk than just extra large dog because from the study it appears I have to put this on my cats every two weeks for it to be effective at all. The study also found that the ingediance in frontline plus is the most effective for the full 28 days but, I cant find that in bulk like the Imidacloprid. So, that is when I find you all. Thank you so much for all the information. Thank you for saving us so much money and stress and not to mention saving our fur babies from worms and frustration and fur falling out and everything else that comes with fleas. Before I go, I must get one more in to the know it alls, I wish I had such a life that I could go around worrying about what everyone else is doing. May I suggest you apply for a position with the KGB. Or perhaps, if you have so very much free time you could check your kids grades just one more time today. I bet they love how attentive you are. https://www.jarvm.com/articles/Vol2Iss1/MCCALL.htm

Affordable Wood Products LLC

I believe bayer is adding fertilizer to their tree and shrub product. there are alternate brands without the fertilizer.

• Vanessa Eaves

What are those alternate brands plz?

Bayer makes an imiclanopid solution without fertilizer, also. If you are confused, look at the ingredients on a box of Advantage flea control. You can modify the dosages according to the dosage on the package. There are many scientific studies available online...

• Jodi Burns

hi everyone, I own a pack of Siberian huskies. You can also easily and affordabley make your own Advantix II, Frontline, basically whichever you prefer from www.domyownpestcontrol.com or other sites just like that one. They sell imidacloprid, fiprinol, permethrin, pyrethrins, all that great stuff. I been making my own Advantage and Frontline (alternate every 3 months to prevent them from building up immunity to it) for 15 years and have never had fleas, ticks, mites, lice...... For our pack of 20 huskies (we have 20 fenced acres of free run) it costs me no more then $100 a year 😊. Just thought I'd share. My retired veterinarian actually taught me MANY shortcuts which are truly amazing.

Have a great weekend everyone.