Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brekke

Help with plantation shutters

brekke
11 years ago
Hi y'all! My husband and I are building a house and we are {thisclose} to being done! I'm starting to think about window treatments and I wanted to get some thoughts.

I would love to do plantation shutters on all the windows in our family room. I'm thinking of leaving the transoms open with no treatments and then wide panel shutters on the rest of the window with a tilt rod in the middle of each window.

My problem is that french door...I really don't like the look of adding the shutters to french doors but I'm at a loss on how to have some sort of covering for that door. Any ideas?

Comments (11)

• PRO
    Wooden Concepts
    11 years ago
    How big of a deal would it be to change out that door? (I know, I know, you just put it in...) If the door isn't a custom, non-standard size your door supplier may be willing to exchange it for you. Going with a blinds-between-glass type door for this application may be a solution.
  • TanCalGal
    11 years ago
    I have Plantation shutters and shutters on French door, too and I love it. Not sure why the look does not appeal to you. Going to be a nice room whatever you decide!
  • pcmom1
    11 years ago
    I have a family room with a couple of large windows along one wall, and then a 6ft french door on the other. I have wood blinds and side panels on the windows. For years I had nothing on the French door because I didn't want anything interfering with the view from that area, or flapping against the glass with a door that is used a lot!

Privacy wasn't an issue since nothing is behind us for quite a ways, but finally, just to feel a little more secure at night (since I watch tv in there) I had cellular shades put on the french doors. Takes up next to no space when up, but if I want more privacy they are there to be lowered. Not an exact match I know, but works for me.
  • TanCalGal
    11 years ago
    I needed the privacy on my doors. Want to add: the shutters on the doors are totally secure and do not move or flap when the doors are in use. I think blinds might flap, but the shutters are OK.
  • TanCalGal
    11 years ago
    Laura has a good point, if you do not need privacy or sun control, you can probably do without the shutters or other window treatments. Hold off until you've lived there a bit.
  • etex
    11 years ago
    Our family room is almost exactly like yours - corner fireplace, four windows, double doors to porch. We put 4 1/2 inch plantation shutters with hidden tilt on windows, 31/2 inch shutters on doors. Love it and when they are open the view is great!
  • pcmom1
    11 years ago
    If you want the totally open look during the day, but privacy at night, then cellular shades (or are they called cellular blinds?) work great. When they are up they compress down to only a couple of inches, but when down still allow a lot of light in, and are great insulation for winter/summer.
  • betsyweisberg
    11 years ago
    Another idea is to run a single rod above all windows/door
    And have panel curtains that can close off the entire wall
    Congratulations on your new home!
  • PRO
    Southern Blinds & Shutters
    11 years ago
    There are several great ideas above-you can do a combination of shutters and cellular shades. If you're not sure to cover the door or not, live there first and see what you like and don't like about the sun/privacy from the back. Most companies would understand your needs. We do it all the time! Best of luck in your new home!!
  • PRO
    ASAP Blinds
    11 years ago
    Plantation shutters, cellular shades or even silhouettes would work great.
Sponsored
Closet America
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars133 Reviews
Northern Virginia, Baltimore & DC Metro's Closet Organization Company