Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tville94

wall mounted toilets

tville94
11 years ago
why are they not used more often? So much easier to clean!

Comments (10)

• PRO
    Cynthia Taylor-Luce
    11 years ago
    I think because you would need access to the tank for maintenance sometimes, and if you're putting one of these into an existing building there is likely not enough thickness in the wall to accommodate one. I think you'd be best to plan this in new construction. I agree--I love the sleek look.
  • PRO
    By Any Design Ltd.
    11 years ago
    I would say it's the cost and the learning curve. Installing these toilets is very straight forward and the wall carriers offer up so much height adjustment possibilities. The toilets can be installed in 2"x6" and 2"x4" wall systems.

It's good practice to double up the wall studs so there is more strength to the wall and of course installing these types of toilets onto a wall sitting overtop a paralam beam is not going to work so well!

The wall hung toilet can help address waterproofing concerns in many barrier free shower builds.

JW

John Whipple
    By Any Design Ltd.
    http://www.no-curb.com
  • donnix
    11 years ago
    I apologize for being totally ignorant, but what is a paralam beam? I assume that since the toilet is partially in the wall, that it creates more leg room --- right? I also don't understand how much of a concern is created by a barrier free shower or why a wall hung toilet addresses that concern.
  • S. Thomas Kutch
    11 years ago
    donnix.....to answer your questions, a paralam beam is a composite or laminated beam used in a load bearing configuration. If the toilet wall is built over a beam you have a problem as the drain for the toilet comes up in the wall through the sill plate... the beam would interfere with the placement of the drain line. Secondly, the wall hung toilet provides more room in front of the toilet for the code required clear space to meet ADA. The tank is in the wall, only the toilet itself is hung on the wall.

The barrier free shower means there is no ledge to step over. The shower floor is in the same plane as the rest of the bathroom floor. This allows someone in a wheelchair or someone who can't lift their legs "barrier free" access to the shower. A 4" ledge into a shower doesn't sound like much... but trust me, having just recently suffered a stress fracture of the femoral neck in my left leg trying to lift my foot over a 4" ledge is not doable.
  • PRO
    Cynthia Taylor-Luce
    11 years ago
    Great information. It's wonderful when experts share their technical knowlege. So now we know!
  • PRO
    TASCH - GROUP
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    "The wall hung toilet can help address waterproofing concerns in many barrier free shower builds." What John means is: A wall hung toilet is mounted to the wall, so there is no "penetration" in the floor.

When you build a barrier free (often also called "curbless shower"), you have to waterproof the outer shower floor as well to avoid getting water into your sub floor. And a floor mounted toilet is just one more risk.

But this is not the only benefit of a wall hung toilet. We discussed this already here: https://www.houzz.com/discussions/need-advice-on-wall-hung-toilets-dsvw-vd~130065

Regards,

3D-Tile-Design - Bertram Tasch
    Maple Ridge, BC (Greater Vancouver)
    http://www.3D-Tile-Design.ca
  • donnix
    11 years ago
    Thanks for the explanations and comments. We have a curbed shower and being concerned about water damage, intended to upgrade, but keep the curb. However, we are 64 & 63, and Mr. Tasch's experience belies our perception that we could always get over a 4" curb. I have another question: We are reviewing a proposal to remove an oversize tub in the master bath that is seldom used, and put a shower in its place, thus freeing up the space where the current shower is for a makeup/dressing table. However, the new shower would enclose two large (3'9" X 5") double windows that are relatively new and extend down within 22" of the shower floor. Luckily, the windows are vinyl and frosted, but the latching mechanism is metal. To enclose such large windows creates a rather large shower roughly as big as the tub we are replacing (thus cutting down on floor space. I'm concerned about it rusting and also the appearance of such large windows in a shower.
  • PRO
    Cynthia Taylor-Luce
    11 years ago
    Is there no other configuration you could use other than enclosing the windows in the shower? If you have to do this, could you remove the windows and replace them with glass block for a more structural solution?
  • donnix
    11 years ago
    Thanks for your suggestion which I is exactly the conclusion I came to. Since the windows are new, well-insulated, and provide a lot of natural light, I think the designer bent over backwards to save them, but the better, and more affordable option is to expand the shower in its present location.