Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rmid

what color metal roofing would you consider on a dark brown mid-century rambler?

rmid
11 years ago
last modified: 11 years ago
We have a 1960s mid-century Northwest style rambler with a daylight basement. It faces north, in a shady, wooded area. The house is painted a very, very dark brown, and sits low on the lot, so the roof is quite prominent and the house generally looks very dark. When we started thinking about replacing the roof, we'd assumed the next roof would be a dark charcoal color. However, now I'm wondering if a lighter color might not be better, so that we don't look like a block of dark chocolate sat in the woods. Or, if that would be like wearing white socks and black shoes. Perhaps keeping with a dark roof, and improving the lighting around the house would be better?

The front of the house faces north. The large deck in the back is painted lighter than the house. Currently, it has a cedar roof that is lighter in color than the house, but not as light as it appears here in the winter. The house is generally shaped like a typical linear 60's rambler, but longer than average. At the front, there are two dormers; at the back, there is a high dormer at the kitchen window. Otherwise, the roofline is straight.

Any ideas with regards to color would be appreciated! Also, if there are any opinions concerning brands or types of coatings/paint on the metal roofing material, that would be great.

Thanks!

(the photo of the back of the house with the decking was taken before it was repainted. the house is the color of the front, while the deck was repainted in the same lighter taupe-type color pictured)

Comments (10)

• PRO
    Cynthia Taylor-Luce
    11 years ago
    Can you find some shingles about the same tone as the back deck? It would be lighter than dark charcoal and the dark brown walls, but still very subtle. I think the house looks best as it does now, integrated into the landscape and allowing the beauty of nature to be the focus.
  • rmid
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    We are planning to do standing-seam metal for the roofing material, to update the look of the house, and hoping to not have to deal with this roofing issue again! Given our location in the damp Northwest, under the trees, it also seems like an easier choice in terms of maintenance. I do believe there are shades similar to the deck. Thanks!
  • PRO
    Cynthia Taylor-Luce
    11 years ago
    Does the metal come in a certain range of colours? Can you give me a link to the manufacturer and colour swatches from which you'll make your choice? Or can you have it any colour you want?
  • rmid
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    I don't believe we can choose a custom color (not in our budget, anyway), but there is a range. We also haven't settled on a roofer, so am not sure how limited choices would be with each roofer. Here is one set of colors: http://www.metalroofingpricesx.com/berridgemetalroofingcolorchart
    Something like medium bronze, perhaps?

My initial thought was to avoide brown shades. The house is mostly lined in clear cedar siding in various shades of brown and taupe. A late design friend would remind me, "don't you think you have enough brown?" (though mostly with regards to interior decorating choices). So, I was thinking of a charcoal roof. Perhaps would clash too much on the outside, eh?
  • PRO
    Cynthia Taylor-Luce
    11 years ago
    You know what? I think you could stretch a little, colour-wise, now that I see the selection of colours. You could do Antique Coppercote (in the Metallic Colours section). The thought had gone through my head that this roof would be gorgeous in copper that would weather and antique down to that beautiful shade, but I didn't suggest it because the cost would be astronomical. And then I saw Antique Coppercote as one of the choices! This would give you the lift that you're looking for, but it would still look natural in your setting. The browns are ok, but when I look at this one, I think it might be a winner! What do you think?
  • PRO
    Cynthia Taylor-Luce
    11 years ago
    Garmangang, that's a great link, but actually I was thinking of something more soft and bluish green like the Antique Coppercote swatch on the site the homeowner referred me to.
  • rmid
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thanks, Erin, it's certainly a work in progress.

Cynthia, I hadn't even thought about a greenish color, except to avoid the brighter, greener forest green that I see sometimes. That could be beautiful! Subtle, different, but not too daring. We're a bit afraid of color around here, but I feel like different shades of browns and taupes are going to get boring, and clash.

A roofer came by today to do an estimate and had some pieces of roofing with him. One was similar to the Buckskin color (upper left). It seemed nice, and safe, but really clashed with the color of our deck, with the roofing being more green (but not a green color) and the deck more pink. The dark brown that was similar to the house color looked like a cheap chocolate bar and I really didn't like it, nevermind the whole dark silhouette of a house image I'm try to get away from.
  • PRO
    Cynthia Taylor-Luce
    11 years ago
    Wow, I am so glad that I was able to help you find something special to set off your beautiful house in the woods! I would be so excited to know that you actually followed through with the soft green option and I would LOVE to see a picture of it afterwards, if you would be so kind.

If you can't find this thread at that time, please send the photo directly to me at ctaylorluce@cogeco.ca.