Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maidinmontana

look at my poor peace lily

maidinmontana
16 years ago

It looks so sick I am embarrased to post it.

I repotted it about a month ago cuz the leaves were so droopy and I thought maybe it was root bound. But it didn't help. The new leaves are so much smaller than the older ones, I thought they needed more room. Anywho, nothing to date has helped. I water well (putting in bathtub and saoking well letting it drain) then water in between as nneded. It is not in direct sun, gets filtered light thru the blinds and curtains. I have had the plant for almost 2 years and just recently started to see the bad repair.

Any and all comments are welcome, TIA.

{{gwi:89666}}

{{gwi:89670}}

Comments (8)

• amany
    16 years ago

Peace Lilies are known to pout when you disturb their roots. Give it some time to bounce back. Be patient because it could take a few months. In the mean time, resist the urge to overwater it.

• greattigerdane
    16 years ago

You said you re-potting because you thought it was root-bound, was it?

If the leaves were droopy before you re-potted it, I suspect it was the watering methods, too wet/soil heavy, or soil too dry.

As you probably already know, peace lilies like to be a little on the moist side, not wet and not dried out. Keep them snug in their pots, but not severely root-bound. (More roots than soil, water runs straight thru without wetting ALL the roots)

Like Amany said, Now it might just be pouting, give it some time, don't over, or under-water it and with some luck it should bounce back.
    Oh, and don't feed it, could make things worse!

Billy Rae

• birdsnblooms
    16 years ago

Has your PL been in the same location for 2 yrs? Though PL's can adapt to low light, I would think it needs more sun..even though blinds are opened, there's curtains, too..that makes it really low light.
    Like everyone said, be careful watering. Since your PL is under such low light conditions, it may take time drying out, especially since you've repotted..what size pot was it in before u repotted, and what size is new pot? Toni

• maidinmontana
    Original Author
    16 years ago

No, I just moved it here when I had to start using the A/C, I have to rearrange my living room and there was no place for it in there, (too much direct light) so I put it in my bedroom. There is actually quite a bit light that comes thru the window in spite of the blinds/curtains. And at times I raise the blinds and keep the curtains closed.

I did feed it here a while ago, when it was sick, hopefully I didn't do more harm. I haven't put it in the tub for a good soaking for quite some time, should I try that or just do container watering? I say the soil is evenly moist but what exactly is the proper amount of wetness on/in the soil? When I stick my finger in the soil there is some dirt on my finger when I pull it out, but it is not covered with dirt like sticking it in a mud pie LOL. It's hard to write a description sometimes.

The pot size is about the same, it was in a one gallon black nursery pot until I re potted it in this 1 gallon plastic pot. I mostly re potted it to see what condition the roots were in, they looked good and didn't seem to be bound so I didn't want to go to a bigger pot. Maybe I should have????
    Thanks again.

• birdsnblooms
    16 years ago

Hi Maid,

Actually, it's best not to fertilize an ailing plant, but to be honest, aside from a little wilting, your plant doesn't look bad..I've seen 'bad looking PL's including a few of my own..LOL

To test soil for moisture, stick finger about 3-4" in soil..if your finger comes out muddy, then inner soil is still wet, if it comes out dry, that means soil is ready to be watered..Some ppl keep their PL's semi-moist, but I tend to let mine dry out between waterings, even to the point of some leaf wilt..plus they're all underpotted. I wait until soil looks crumbly on top. When u stick a finger in soil, well, compare it to baking a cake and inserting a tooth pick. U know how they say tooth picks should look to determine if cake is done? It's basically the same procedure. LOL..what an example, huh?

Actually, allowing water from shower to run over leaves will benefit..this will help w/humidity..You ask if you should water via container..does soil need watering? Don't water if soil is wet..
    Usually, when PL soil is dry, leaves wilt, but when soil on a PL, (like many other plants) is kept too wet, leaves will wilt, too.
    BTW, when you repotted, what type of soil did you use? It's best using a well-draining soil..one that isn't heavy that holds water. If you feel you've overwatered, placing in a larger pot will only make it worse..Meaing more soil that stays wet, which will eventually drown roots.
    On the other hand, I notice you have a pup, and quite a cuties he/she is..There's no way the puppy is using this plant as a toilet, is there? Urine will cause leaf wilt, too..until the plant dies. He doesn't look big enough to reach the pot, but if it's a male, they raise their leg, and possible pee-pee will land in soil..he/she sure seems curious about the plant..LOL..so cute..
    One more thing..when you fertilized, did you follow instructions? Overfertilizing will cause problems though usually when a plant is overfed, leaves brown.

Which direction is the window facing? You mention it's bright, but how bright? If in a north window and curtains are closed, I don't feel it's enough sun. Good luck, Maid, I hope you figure out the problem..Toni

• maidinmontana
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the nice explanation. Actually, the doggy is not a puppy, she is a small sized pug. I am certain she is not using the plant as a toilet, LOL, she is so nosey she had to be right there where I was, I had moved the plant to get a better view and she had to check it out, thanks for the concern tho LOL.

I did follow instructions on the fertilizer, but I cut in 1/2, it said to use 1 TBSP for a gallon, I used 1 TBSP for two gallons.

I just stuck my finger in the soil, it came out with a few dirt crumbs on it, not wet enough to cling, dry enough to brush off. It feels the same on the top of the soil as it does 3-4" down.

I used Miracle grow, not moisture control, regular. I put a layer of gravel on the bottom for drainage. Before I re potted it, the leaves were turning brown at the tips, even the new ones were turning brown before they got a chance to open. Since re potting they don't seem to be browning at all. I didn't disturb the roots at all, basically just lifted it from one pot to the other.

The window faces the west, in the afternoon it has pretty intense sunlight. This time of day I pull the blind up and the curtain back, but later I close one or both. I may try to leave the curtains closed and the blinds up, the curtains are sheers.

A garden webber suggested (different post) that maybe the water I was using had too much chlorine in it so I switched to my well water or would use water that had sat for a few days to water it. Now that I have been doing that I am kind of afraid to go back to the bathtub (city water) but I used to use city water before and it has just recently started to look sickly.

Thank you for the compliment, it isn't really ugly, but you should have seen it when I got it, it was flawless and so healthy looking.

I will keep plugging away at it and see what happens.

• birdsnblooms
    16 years ago

Maiden, it's not ugly at all..just a tad weepy..But I'm sure that can be remedied..Since leaves were browning, it's possible the plant wasn't getting enough water/humidity.
    Though some disagree, I'd mist it daily, with plain water. Misters hold quite a bit of water, it'll be sitting out so you don't have to worry about Chlorine.
    I save old milk containers filled w/water..of course, there's no way I can do this for every plant, but I'll water w/sitting water when a plant is dry..This is really important when it comes to Spider plants..they hate chlorine.
    If you have space for 1 milk container, keep filled..I don't think it'll matter if it's well water or not, Chlorine evaporates as time goes by..One of the reasons I enjoyed watering w/our 55 gallon fish tank..well, there's other reasons, too.
    When I suggested setting in tub, I meant to run shower water over leaves..they'll get wet plus a fine mist/humidity appears..Once a wk is sufficient.

You mention setting rocks on bottom of pot..does your new pot have drainage holes or are you using rocks so water doesn't sit on bottom of pot?

There's one other thing, but this is just a suggestion..Have u checked for plant insects? Inspect leaves, look for unknown specks, bumps, webbs. Remeber, just a safety measure..

Maiden, most plants are lovely when we first buy them..lol..I wonder how many are sprayed w/leaf shine, considering plants, especially gift plants, are super shiny..But I don't recommend using leaf shines..Water and soap work fine..

Clip back brown edges, leaving about 1/8" of brown on leaves..this is supposed to prevent brown from spreading. Been doing this for yrs, yet I don't know if it works..LOL

Sorry about the error, your doggie is so cute..Wish you had a face shot..I love pets..we have a dog, birds and son has an iguana..lol..
    She sure is curious..hey, mom, what ya doing??' Can I help?'
    Well, Maiden, good luck w/PL..I'm sure it will be fine..BTW, if push comes to shove, you can alwasy purchase a water guage..but imo, that's a last resort..after a while, you'll be able to look at the plant and determine if it needs water..Don't overfeed, once a month is fine..none in winter..Toni

• maidinmontana
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hey Toni, ask and you shall recieve, heres Rossie, the one in the photo, her sister, Sister (thats her name) and her really big sister Lucy. They are all great friends and we love them as if they were our kids. Enjoy and thank you for the time and expertice re my PL.

{{gwi:89672}}
    {{gwi:89674}}
    {{gwi:89675}}